• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

| The Tempest | A QLD Major Tournament | See latest post for a Montage :3

I am interested in attending 'The Tempest'

• Total voters

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Ways to get around using public transport.

Hook up with a cougar at airport: Option one brings us the inevitable option of picking up some 30'somthing skanky beast who wants a quick root and a nice gettaway, tell her your off to enjoy the gold coast and your set. Use your new cash cow to pay for accomodation, transport etc. Man up and give her a pounding jiggs would be proud of and call it a good weekend.

Bring copious ammounts of alcohol: Alcohol, in QLD is more like money than real money. If by chance you let slip that your shouting booze for a weekend, people will flock to pick you up from said airport. Costs a little more, but no added hassle of trains!

Pretend to have cancer: No one gets more attention than some chemo attention *****. Yokai reccomends the starlight foundation. Steps include shaving your head, wearing a scarf and asking the Starlight foundation that you wish to compete in a video game tournament before you die. Cry and cough a little bit and they will be putty in your hot little hands.

Fare evasion: If none of the above options appeal, in QLD you have the russian roulette type game called fare evasion. Tips and tricks include, working on your best russian accent to confuse ticket inspectors, so that when called upon to produce said ticket you can blatently annoy the living daylights out of them until they decide your not worth their effort and they would rather pick on a maori. (NOTE: do not attempt this step if black, you will be truly ****ed)

Happy transport
Truly you are a god of public transport.

This guy used to hax the ticket machines for free tickets.

Lachlan

Smash Apprentice
man, need to pay $25 to play in both melee events and waste two days.

lame, bros.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
All majors work the same way Lachlan. Rocky did, Thriller did (albeit a little differently, but still the games are played over two days). Don't forget that this is also a Lan. You'll have access to SSF4 and everything else.

If you break that $25 down, that's $12.50 per day, which is not much considering the sheer space we get, and everything LanSmash is bringing to the table including live stream facilities, recording and the big projector (the one set up at the front of the lan).

It also encourages you to play both games.
You're missing out otherwise! :)

In a perfect world, more 1 day Melee only tournaments would get run, but that's up to the community to organise. Otherwise this is the best I can offer you. It's much better this way too, because otherwise the days become lopsided and under-utilised.

LanSmash is a means to an end.
And it involves less calculated risk on my part money-wise (virtually zero), whereas on my own I have to worry about potentially losing a lot of money on a good venue.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
what time is this expected to finish? how long would it take me to get to the airport if i leave straight from the tourney? i'd be wanting to arrive back in melbourne on the sunday night...

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
The airports are pretty far from the tournament, but Brisbane is a bit closer, so if someone could drive you it wouldn't take as long (30 minutes?)

Hotdog

Smash Lord
From the Venue to get to Brisbane airport would take a while... about an hour or so.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
what time is this expected to finish? how long would it take me to get to the airport if i leave straight from the tourney? i'd be wanting to arrive back in melbourne on the sunday night...
DJKaion/R4VEN/Ke$haion said he'd probably be able to drive me back to the airport on Sunday afternoon (I'm pretty much doing the same thing, but getting back to Sadelaide Sunday night), so maybe you could steal a ride with him as well.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
DJKaion/R4VEN/Ke$haion said he'd probably be able to drive me back to the airport on Sunday afternoon (I'm pretty much doing the same thing, but getting back to Sadelaide Sunday night), so maybe you could steal a ride with him as well.
which airport?

Sirias

Smash Champion
Brisbane Airport is much better.
Unless flying to GC is like $20 cheaper or more.
And if you don't have anyone to pick you up, then you have to be at the Brisbane airport by 6 (I think) at the latest, trains stop then.
Although apparently they have a bus system now?
I don't know.

Nonetheless...
Uh, yeah.

Sloth

Smash Ace
A friend of mine recently went to the GC airport and took the trek to Brisbane. He said paying even an extra 30-40 is better then the time/hassle to get from GC to Bris. Aslong as someone drives you it isn't as big of a deal I guess.

The Brisbane airport is closer to the venue. Only tme GC would be better is if the person dropping you off is also heeading home afterwards and they live in GC. So check with them.

From Brisbane airport to city / vise versa:
Last airport train is 8pm and they cost around $15 one way. Not sure on the Buses. And if you get a from airport to central train station its about $40.
Or we could see if we can get someone who may be able to pick you up.
Or if your heading from the venue to get a flight home its about a 30-45min drive.

I've repeated a lot of information, but trying to make it less scattered across different peoples posts

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm still being quiet atm, sorry guys.

Uni's got my ***. :(

EDIT:

Having problems doing a Mass mailout due to GmailFail thinking I'm a spambot.

tigerDORF

Smash Cadet
Hotmale kgo ;)

Ummm, I'm not taking anyone to the airport without MASSIVE incentives.

So, how about them crew battles?
Whats the interstate list for both games?

Sirias

Smash Champion
Hotmale is a gay site, just to let you guys know.
And yeah, driving to and back from the airport is not fun at all.
Even being the passenger. c:

So far interstaters aren't keen on this.
More hyped with Robocop.
But apparently Antho says he'll be able to pull something up and make it more appealing.
Though, I don't see how.

undead_moose

Smash Lord
Coke and hookers will now be present at the Tempest.

And no offense to anthony but if it is anything but coke and hookers. I doubt it will work

Unless he is putting a large sum of his own money into the pot which will make me angry face him into the ground

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Well I've already invested $100 into a new video camera for the tournament. I said I'd use the money I won from GenCon for this tournament, so I'll probably put in $100 more towards advertising.

The hype is a bit less visible because I think a lot of Queensland smashers just don't post here. They know everything through word of mouth. Ghost, Kickflip + Chief, Matt + Jaice + Tiahn and their crew, numerous people that only talk to me through facebook. People like Ethan, Michael and Nat from game traders, Ricky + Andrew. People I only see every Animania (who also came to SQUAT).

The list goes forever, but they all just refuse to use this, instead relying on people like bob to send out 20 txt messages every time there's a meet (and I'm thankful for that every time).

Maybe I'll fall short of what I'm hoping for, but, I will try.

I just can't right now because for the next 3 weeks I belong to uni.

I seriously did 10 hours of straight coding yesterday.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
probs should have done uni work rather than drink and smash for 2 days >_> or is that not time management? and we know how much your camera cost, you told several of us the story a few times while u wer stumbling around.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I did as much work as possible in and around that to make sure I could justify that time. I'd already promised the dorfs I'd make it that weekend.

Speaking of not using smashboards, Matt has something brewing for this weekend but contact DJ for details about that I think.

rangaDORF

Smash Cadet
Very acceptable vyse. Dorf offs are about fun. serously if everyone just worked/studied/uni all the time they would go crazy. As for hype about tempest PLUSHIS!! Comon plus maccas challenge I think yokai and kas are up for it? I will personally give anyone who beats me 20 bucks. Not reAlly smash related but still fun.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
wtf is a maccas challenge.
I sound like I'd be interested in it because I am.

^ Edit: What a worthless sentence. ^

rangaDORF

Smash Cadet
wtf is a maccas challenge.
I sound like I'd be interested in it because I am.

^ Edit: What a worthless sentence. ^
basically you have an hour to eat the biggest mcdonalds value box things the 30 dollar ish ones? First one to finish or eat the most without spewing wins hahaha

Sirias

Smash Champion
Everyone is welcome.
Maybe McDs will give us something in return for buying so many at once.
THEY BETTER.
FREAKIN' CHEAP SKATES!

oldmanondorf_

Smash Ace
the family dinner box's come with apple pies!?
the original maccas challenge was supposed to be a $30 dinner box consumed without stopping (no toilet breaks) and you can't vomit. You have to continuously eat the food until it's all gone (including the drinks)
I don't think any of you can do it muuahaha

Sieg

Smash Champion
I would do it if I wasn't trying to keep fit haha.

I'm always up for a challenge.

Top Bottom