• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I've never seen a radish in that game... I would check with someone that has beaten the game too many times to count.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I believe they only appear in the character quests so that would explain why you haven't seen them.
I was hoping someone here knew because I don't really want to go back to the Tales forums. I was there about five years and I've only once managed to get a decent discussion with them.

I guess it's just a case of keep collecting and hope it becomes clear...

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
So I just reached the part in Abyss
after Luke causes Akzerioth to be destroyed, and I find it pretty disgusting that everyone is blaming Luke and not Ion as well. It seems to me, you either blame both of them, or neither.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It
appalls me that they blame him in the slightest. They already know that he has absolutely no knowledge of the world and therefore had no chance of seeing that Van was using him (even if it was blindingly obvious).
You'll find out later why Ion is as he is.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I've halted my Tales of playing for a bit until I can get a copy of abyss. I've been playing a lot of final fantasy (is not worth capitalizing!) lately. Hopefully, I can get back into the Tales of games with a new one!

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I've played through Symphonia and Phantasia enough (ToP is TOO ANNOYING). Also, I've been playing Crystal Chronicles, not the crappy, RPGesque FF's.
I've been playing Castlevania Portrait of Ruin a lot also.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've played through Symphonia and Phantasia enough (ToP is TOO ANNOYING). Also, I've been playing Crystal Chronicles, not the crappy, RPGesque FF's.
ToP is annoying in what way? If you're talking about the GBA version, then yeah lol.
And I'm surprised you hate the main FFs. I know everyone doesn't like them, but I never thought someone would like Crystal Chronicles more.

Oh well, different tastes/opinions I guess.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I just finished Abyss. I tend to say this a lot about Tales games (except symphonia 2) but, this was one of the best games I've ever played. I always love a game that can tell a good story, and this one had a great one.

:phone:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
ToP is annoying in what way? If you're talking about the GBA version, then yeah lol.
And I'm surprised you hate the main FFs. I know everyone doesn't like them, but I never thought someone would like Crystal Chronicles more.
All versions of ToP are really infuriating at points (I'm talking outside of battle here) but that doesn't make it a bad game.

As for that accursed quadrangle and their signature series, Crystal Chronicles was pretty bad but atleast it wasn't the turn based crap filled with obnoxious characters and uninteresting plot that the main games were. So long as that's all you're playing, there's hope for you yet Blade.

Still, if I had to play something of theirs, it would be Star Ocean, that strange ToP offshoot.

@Mura: I feel the same way in general but I found the terrible loading times, occasional glitches and my refusal to believe that I'm a clone of Luke meant that I didn't enjoy Abyss quite as much as the others. I'll be getting the 3DS version eventually though so we'll see what happens then.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
All versions of ToP are really infuriating at points (I'm talking outside of battle here) but that doesn't make it a bad game.
I actually found the stuff outside of battle fine. The only thing I hear is people finding it hard knowing where to go which isn't a valid complaint. It's not too hard figuring out what to do, and I like how the game isn't holding your hand or making you do things in a linear fashion.

ToP's battles are its weakest point, IMO. GBA version wasn't fun since it was a mesh between 2 versions and was even slower.
AllAs for that accursed quadrangle and their signature series, Crystal Chronicles was pretty bad but atleast it wasn't the turn based crap filled with obnoxious characters and uninteresting plot that the main games were. So long as that's all you're playing, there's hope for you yet Blade.
I noticed a lot of Tales fans hate FF games :ohwell:. I love the story, and I find them way more interesting than stuff in Tales, personally.
Tales shines in its battle system mainly for me.
AllStill, if I had to play something of theirs, it would be Star Ocean, that strange ToP offshoot.
SO's pretty fun. I still need to beat SO2.
I just finished Abyss. I tend to say this a lot about Tales games (except symphonia 2) but, this was one of the best games I've ever played. I always love a game that can tell a good story, and this one had a great one.

:phone:
Glad you enjoyed it. I really liked Abyss actually too.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
@Mura: I feel the same way in general but I found the terrible loading times, occasional glitches and my refusal to believe that I'm a clone of Luke meant that I didn't enjoy Abyss quite as much as the others. I'll be getting the 3DS version eventually though so we'll see what happens then.
Yeah the loading times were pretty bad in general. The worst for me was always around Chesedonia for some reason. At one point, I was waiting 3 minutes for the land to load up. I thought the game had frozen. I didn't run across any glitches. What had a big impact on me was how well the plot was devised. Perhaps it's because I'm older and more mature now that I was when I played some of the other games, but I found that the plot elements made more sense and were easier to follow than some of the others.

I can set the loading times aside when judging the game though. The only thing that I absolutely hated about the game was that one particular plot element that we discussed earlier. So I'd rank it:

1. Symphonia
2. Abyss
3. Vesperia

Now to get Legendia.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I hope that you'll like Legendia once you get it, it is decent.
Tales of Phantasia has me annoyed because I'm under-leveled at the cave of hell-fire and about to die.
Also, FFCC is alot more fun to me than the other Final FantAAAAASSSSSYYYYSSSS *ahem* because they are real-time and you can choose your class. It's also just really fun to bash things with a racket as a Selkie.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Yeah the loading times were pretty bad in general. The worst for me was always around Chesedonia for some reason. At one point, I was waiting 3 minutes for the land to load up. I thought the game had frozen. I didn't run across any glitches. What had a big impact on me was how well the plot was devised. Perhaps it's because I'm older and more mature now that I was when I played some of the other games, but I found that the plot elements made more sense and were easier to follow than some of the others.

I can set the loading times aside when judging the game though. The only thing that I absolutely hated about the game was that one particular plot element that we discussed earlier. So I'd rank it:

1. Symphonia
2. Abyss
3. Vesperia

Now to get Legendia.
You think Symphonia is good?

Story-wise Namco actually just read this and mashed the damn thing together:

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Now, Vesperia is good and Abyss is somewhat decent, but Symphonia really only gets the props it does because it's the only really playable RPG on the Gamecube.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

Now, Vesperia is good and Abyss is somewhat decent, but Symphonia really only gets the props it does because it's the only really playable RPG on the Gamecube.
lol I remember that list, and I agree. Symphonia's story even used elements from 2 of its previous games which didn't help either.
To add to that, Symphonia had a terrible battle system (relative to the rest). Most fans ToS liked Symphonia since it was their first Tales since the Gamecube had barely any RPGs (similar to how Gamecube owners favorite fighter was Soul Calibur II). ToS is overrated, imo.

Edit: I don't hate Symphonia, but I think of the game like how I think of FFVII. The game's fun, but its fans praise it too much.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Tales of Phantasia has me annoyed because I'm under-leveled at the cave of hell-fire and about to die.
That was a little annoying but beating most of the Moria mine shaft and having to go all the way back to where I started because I couldn't continue without one of the earlier spirits was worse and I wasn't that big on spending three days trying to find a stalagmite in sylph's cave either (stupid pixelation).
Anyway, enough complaining about that. It never stopped me enjoying the game.

Also, __CC is alot more fun to me than the other _____________s because they are real-time and you can choose your class.
There are no characters to be obnoxious you mean.

I can definitely agree with you on CC being a lot more fun but that still didn't actually make it fun.

I noticed a lot of Tales fans hate FF games :ohwell:. I love the story, and I find them way more interesting than stuff in Tales, personally.
If like going into every battle knowing exactly what buttons you're going to press at every moment, that's that. I, however, cannot enjoy any such experiance. It totally ruins any game. Not feeling like I play any part in it and knowing that I can just drop it all and grab a cup of tea mid battle with no adverse affects really removes any sense of acomplishment or involvement. I get more enjoyment out of a book or a film that I ever would from a turn based game.
And that's before I even get started on the other failings of that crap series.

Minato;12824688FONT=Century Gothic said:
SO's pretty fun. I still need to beat SO2.[/FONT]
I never played 2. FD was fun but I just don't see the point, having played the one that's actually tales related. Plus, 4 is apparently rubbish.

Yeah the loading times were pretty bad in general. The worst for me was always around Chesedonia for some reason. At one point, I was waiting 3 minutes for the land to load up. I thought the game had frozen. I didn't run across any glitches.
My game actually did freeze. Aparently it just does that when loading some cutscenes occasionally. Stupid glitches.

lol I remember that list, and I agree. Symphonia's story even used elements from 2 of its previous games which didn't help either.
Fine, I like RPG cliches. Are you happy now?!

Most fans ToS liked Symphonia since it was their first Tales since the Gamecube had barely any RPGs (similar to how Gamecube owners favorite fighter was Soul Calibur II). ToS is overrated, imo.
Hardly any system has a good range of RPGs that aren't turn based crap. The gamecube was no worse than any other.

Similarly, SC2 was a good game and the fact that the gamecube lacked fighters does not change the fact that no other SC (apart from maybe 1, I haven't played it) has come close to topping it.

Edit: I don't hate Symphonia, but I think of the game like how I think of FFVII. The game's fun, but its fans praise it too much.
Why do you have to keep bring up that junk?! How such complete and utter garbage ever made it to double digit titles I'll never know and I'd really rather not be forced to consider it.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings

I read most of that page, and I don't really see where any of those apply to Symphonia to any large degree. In fact, most of those cliches have nothing to do with the storyline anyway. There's a lot more in there that are identifiable with Abyss than Symphonia, even at a glance, but that doesn't make me like either the game any less. Some cliches are either unavoidable or meant to not be avoided, but nothing in that link has any large bearing on Symphonia's plot or characters. If you think so, then you're going to have to show me because I don't see it.

I hear about Symphonia being the only RPG on the GC way too much. It doesn't really matter to me because I'm not exactly an RPG fan (I've never gotten past the beginning of any FF game, the only RPG other than Tales games that I've gotten through is Chrono Trigger.) In fact, when I first bought Symphonia, I had no idea it was an RPG. I just saw it on a shelf and said "This game looks cool." So, I'm not giving it props for being the only RPG on the GC. Compared to the other Tales games and all other games I've played, I think it's an outstanding game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Whoa, hopefully you aren't angry ryuu seika since I don't mean any real disrespect to Symphonia, and it's one of my favorite Tales to replay.
Tales is one of my favorite RPG series and I've enjoyed all of them that I've beaten.

To balance this out, I'll just discuss what I think (good and bad) for every Tales game that's been localized.

Phantasia- My first Tales game. It's a classic to me. The bad is its slow battle system.
Destiny- I really liked the characters in this one and the game had a memorable death for a certain character. The bad is the game was too easy and the dungeons were terrible.
Destiny II/Eternia- Great battle system (more fun than ToS's, imo). Bad voice acting though.
Symphonia- Like Phantasia, feels like a classic. I liked the characters a lot and the game was fun. Only thing I didn't like was the battle system was too clunky.
Abyss- Hard to say why I liked it, but I did. Some parts of the story were a little weird to me though.
Vesperia- Really fun but the story was lacking, especially part 3 of the game.

I still haven't beaten Legendia and ToS DotNW but I have started on that one.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I read most of that page, and I don't really see where any of those apply to Symphonia to any large degree. In fact, most of those cliches have nothing to do with the storyline anyway. There's a lot more in there that are identifiable with Abyss than Symphonia, even at a glance, but that doesn't make me like either the game any less. Some cliches are either unavoidable or meant to not be avoided, but nothing in that link has any large bearing on Symphonia's plot or characters. If you think so, then you're going to have to show me because I don't see it.

I hear about Symphonia being the only RPG on the GC way too much. It doesn't really matter to me because I'm not exactly an RPG fan (I've never gotten past the beginning of any FF game, the only RPG other than Tales games that I've gotten through is Chrono Trigger.) In fact, when I first bought Symphonia, I had no idea it was an RPG. I just saw it on a shelf and said "This game looks cool." So, I'm not giving it props for being the only RPG on the GC. Compared to the other Tales games and all other games I've played, I think it's an outstanding game.
... It describes plot points, game tropes, locales, and character archetypes to a 'T." Re-read the entire list.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings

Vesperia- Really fun but the story was lacking, especially part 3 of the game.
I was hoping you'd mention the battle system. The over limit system was a thing of beauty.

I feel like Namco really dropped the ball with DotNW. If you play it you'll see that it was meant to rely on name recognition and Symphonia 1's popularity. Storyline-wise I wouldn't even consider it a sequel, because virtually nothing from Symphonia 1 is ever referenced. It's like a completely different game with Symphonia slapped on as the title. That said, I enjoyed the battle system and Galdeshiem.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Actually, practically every sidequest in the first game is referenced in the second. They basically tried to get in as many bits as possible that would make the player feel good about having done those and somehow conveniently forgot about including anything to make the player feel good about the game itself.

@Minato: Mention of the __ series annoys me at the best of times.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
@Minato: Mention of the __ series annoys me at the best of times.
That's fine. I won't bring it up since everyone has different tastes. I just still would like to think that people would be a little more mature on subjects like these though. It's just a game. Attitudes like these are close to what I'd expect from 14 year olds. But it is the internet. :ohwell:

I just feel people should be a little more laid back on stuff like this.
I was hoping you'd mention the battle system. The over limit system was a thing of beauty.
The new over limit system was pretty neat. I love how broken it could make your characters later on. It was such a blast spamming and doing long combos with multiple techs.
I feel like Namco really dropped the ball with DotNW. If you play it you'll see that it was meant to rely on name recognition and Symphonia 1's popularity. Storyline-wise I wouldn't even consider it a sequel, because virtually nothing from Symphonia 1 is ever referenced. It's like a completely different game with Symphonia slapped on as the title. That said, I enjoyed the battle system and Galdeshiem.
Yeah, I agree. I've only reached where you meet Zelos. It's an alright game in some ways, but it was just a lazy and poorly done job compared to Symphonia. :(

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
If like going into every battle knowing exactly what buttons you're going to press at every moment, that's that. I, however, cannot enjoy any such experiance. It totally ruins any game. Not feeling like I play any part in it and knowing that I can just drop it all and grab a cup of tea mid battle with no adverse affects really removes any sense of acomplishment or involvement. I get more enjoyment out of a book or a film that I ever would from a turn based game.
Don't hate on turn based, it's a solid mechanic. :3

You shouldn't get so mad when it's brought up, it's just going to make you look bad and get people to troll you.

I need to pick this series up again, I finished Symphonia but stopped somewhere in Abyss. I was really enjoying them but I probably got distracted by other games.

Is there going to be anything special in the 3DS Abyss?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Has anyone else watched any of the animes? I watched the first couple episodes of Symphonia, now I'm checking out the Abyss anime. Both are really just summaries of the story, which is good becaus ethe stories are mainly what I like.

ToV: First Strike was really good though, worth watching and gives a nice backstory to ToV.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Has anyone else watched any of the animes? I watched the first couple episodes of Symphonia, now I'm checking out the Abyss anime. Both are really just summaries of the story, which is good becaus ethe stories are mainly what I like.

ToV: First Strike was really good though, worth watching and gives a nice backstory to ToV.
I've seen the first arc of Symphonia and a little bit of the Abyss. It was alright, I enjoyed it.
I liked First Strike a lot. That was fun to watch.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
For those of you who really, really like the battle system, it's really not enough to prop up a game by itself. Many of the FF titles have more "boring" battle systems but the writing and scenario really make up for it, as well as puzzle design and map design.

If you've played the DS Tales (Innocence, and yes, there is an English version floating around for download), you'd know what I'm talking about. Fun battles but the dungeons are literally door to door without a single puzzle.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
If you've played the DS Tales (Innocence, and yes, there is an English version floating around for download), you'd know what I'm talking about. Fun battles but the dungeons are literally door to door without a single puzzle.
Yeah, those dungeons became so repetitive in ToI. I think Tales studio is becoming better again though since they're finally not splitting up into 3 different teams and spamming out games. But yeah, I honestly enjoy Tales mostly for gameplay in battles.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Abyss took me so long to master all of the recipes. Replayed through the game this week (put in about 90 hours) to finish the Collector's Book :urg: It was worth it though, I think I like it better than Symphonia now :cool:

I also own Legendia and Dawn of the New World...not too fond of them, but Legendia had good music.

I am so hyped for Graces f, I don't want to wait until 2012! :(

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
To add to that, Symphonia had a terrible battle system (relative to the rest). Most fans ToS liked Symphonia since it was their first Tales since the Gamecube had barely any RPGs (similar to how Gamecube owners favorite fighter was Soul Calibur II). ToS is overrated, imo.

I know it's an older post, but Symphonia had an awesome battle system. The fact that it didn't have Free Run (which makes the games too easy) I really liked. The battle system wasn't broken, and during your very first playthyough battle were actually tough (unlike Abyss, who's Free Run and OP Ad-Skills made the game too easy, but exciting nonetheless).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I know it's an older post, but Symphonia had an awesome battle system. The fact that it didn't have Free Run (which makes the games too easy) I really liked. The battle system wasn't broken, and during your very first playthyough battle were actually tough (unlike Abyss, who's Free Run and OP Ad-Skills made the game too easy, but exciting nonetheless).
I think the only real issues I had with Symphonia compared to the others was it being a bit slow and that the other characters could've been a bit easier to use like how Lloyd was. Other than that, it was pretty great. I like to knock on Symphonia time to time but it really is one of my favorites.

And yeah, Free Run in Abyss was way too good. Vesperia made it less broken (but still good) and Graces made it perfectly balanced.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Symphonia/Vesperia are two of the best games I have ever played hands down, and this is coming from a pretty big CoD fan. Listening to Vesperia battle themes as I write this.

I've played through Symphonia at least 5 times, but only Vesperia once. I borrowed it from a friend but I'd really like to get a copy of it. No store is going to sell it so my only option is ebay...really wish there was another way to get my hands on a copy.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I think the only real issues I had with Symphonia compared to the others was it being a bit slow and that the other characters could've been a bit easier to use like how Lloyd was. Other than that, it was pretty great. I like to knock on Symphonia time to time but it really is one of my favorites.

I can't quite agree with you on that. Zelos, Presea, Colette, Regal, and even Genis were easy and fun to use!
Tales of Phantasia on the other hand, only Cress.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
And yeah, Free Run in Abyss was way too good. Vesperia made it less broken (but still good) and Graces made it perfectly balanced.

I don't really know much about Vesperias battle systmem but by watching videos it looks like a broken system abusing move spam. And yeah, using CC to limit Free run was smart. When it comes out I probably won't even use Free Run, I'd rather just sidestep around 'cause that looks badass.

I can't quite agree with you on that. Zelos, Presea, Colette, Regal, and even Genis were easy and fun to use!

Yeah, most characters were easy to use, but you had to really know their moveset to actually link their attacks into combos that would hit. Most of Lloyd's attacks linked pretty well.

I'm sure we can all agree that pretty much every Tales games has great music and gameplay (well the one's that I've played anyways).

I'm hoping to borrow a friend's 360 to play Vesperia. I was really hoping they'd have a NA PS3 release for Vesperia, but a contract with Microsoft won't let that happen :(

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I should do another playthough and use other characters more. I did switch around a lot last playthrough but I should do it again for fun. As for Colette, I loved using her Mystic Arte whenever I had the chance to use her.
I don't really know much about Vesperias battle systmem but by watching videos it looks like a broken system abusing move spam.
I'm not going to lie, I actually did play the game that way by abusing overlimits and spamming techs since it was so effective.
The PS3 version I later bought gave 8 levels of overlimit too so it was really hard to resist.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I'm not going to lie, I actually did play the game that way by abusing overlimits and spamming techs since it was so effective.
The PS3 version I later bought gave 8 levels of overlimit too so it was really hard to resist.
8 levels? :surprised: That sounds like overkill...can't you also carry like 99 of each item? If so, that's even more broken, 99 of each gel/life bottles=never die.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Has anyone else watched any of the animes?
I've watched all of the ToS one, 1 episode of ToP (nothing more is available in english that I can find) and 8 episodes of the completely unrelated to the game ToE one.

I liked the way they managed to find a slightly different wording for every time Lloyd was shocked at someone being
an angel
in the ToS one. That was a good laugh.

@Thiocyanide: I enjoy the story and the character interaction atleast as much as the battle system itself, I just need a decent battle system to keep me engaged throughout. Turn based rubbish involves no gameplay skill and going through menus over and over hardly gives one the impression of being in the game.
I have no problem with Tales level design but I guess I haven't played the DS ones.

I also own Legendia and Dawn of the New World...not too fond of them, but Legendia had good music.
The music was the only part of Legendia I didn't really enjoy.

I think the only real issues I had with Symphonia compared to the others was it being a bit slow and that the other characters could've been a bit easier to use like how Lloyd was.
Yeah, I still have problems playing as most of the ToS cast.

Collette wasn't difficult but I was never good as her, Presea I did ok with, though I'm not good with the heavy hitter types in general and Genis was easy but boring to play as. Zelos I couldn't do because he simply didn't move or hit right (I had slightly less trouble with Kratos) and Regal's air combos I just couldn't do.

Arche and Chester I had no trouble with and I didn't try out the other ToP folk.

I'm hoping to borrow a friend's 360 to play Vesperia.
I'm hoping mine get back to me soon too. I'd find another friend but they also have my copy of ToV :(.

Top Bottom