• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ah, I found it was the rise up into the air and fall down hitting the entire screen move that killed me but the counter attack will negate any hit aimed at Chloe and thus keep atleast one party member alive.
Also, you don't have to play as Chloe to set it to the shoulder shortcuts.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Chloe seems pretty useful for this fight, I've only ever played as her once (Tiger blade! Tiger blade!). This game would be a ton easier if it was like Tales of Symphonia, or Tales of the Abyss. It's way too hard to dodge attacks (unless your Chloe) while only being able to stand on a line.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
As Chloe, I mostly used Sword Rain -> Sword Rain Demon as a combo but now I have over 800 TP and the accessory that halves tech costs, there's no reason not to use Sword Rain Alpha -> Sword Rain Omega instead. Also, Demon Fang Fury is nice but it's costly.

Anyway, I can agree that the lack of a third dimension and the way that you have to rack up a few hits before hitstun kicks in both make dodging attacks hard but that's not always a bad thing from a gameplay standpoint.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
It does make it challenging, but COME ON MAN! Being molested by galfs isn't fun, not at all.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Senel has talon storm, where he flies and jumps on the enemy's head. I really enjoyed the concept of free running games, as long as they are harder. If the game is too easy, then it's killed by free running (and the existence of Emil!!!!!!!)

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I really hate that game... With the burning intensity of over nine (or if you prefer, eight) thousand Flame Lances. They took everything good from ToS and replaced it with Emil!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Man, I tell ya, Mithos is the one villain i the most depressed to fight behind the Masked Man from Mother 3..

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
They broke the fighting system (sword rain, demon fang, sword rain, demon fang shouldn't link). Also, the way you have to use the wii mote and nun-chuck to do the commands looks annoying and tedious.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I hope that they learn from that mistake... I would cry if I saw a Tales of the Abyss 2 with Emil!
On the other hand, Tales of the Abyss 2 would rock harder than any other game imaginable, except for a prequel to Tales of Symphonia.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I would love to have a team of angels, imagine all of the Judgements! Also, it would rock to see all of the back story to Symphonia like how Kratos met
Anna
and how Mithos became a douche bag.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Sadly yes, due to the story. But, I would carry over techs and destroy anything that slightly annoyed me! They have a lot of potential in that plot, hopefully they will make it someday soon.
Also, how do you change a topics name?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm really not sure anymore. ToL, ToS and ToP are all great, though ToP probably less so. RM was thoroughly enjoyable the first time round but it lost its appeal quite quickly after that. Also, I've been really enjoying Diddy Kong Racing again lately if that's at all relevant.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I can agree on the Tales of games you chose as your favorites. As for Diddy kong Racing, I've never played that game before.
Also, I've been addicted to Mario Kart Double Dash for a while now, it is too fun!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I hate Doubledash! It insists on being as downright obnoxious to me as it possibly can and I don't exactly enjoy having to do 14 races over just because I got blue shelled into the quicksand which then pulled me in, got me eaten by a piranha plant and spat me back out into the path of another two shells (green then red), all on the last lap of the second to last race of the last cup on the last difficulty setting.
Furthermore, Nintendo tried to turn Diddy Kong Racing into Mario Kart for the DS release and it was appalling.

Anyway, enough of my hatred of Mario Kart, lets get back to something more on topic.

If you were to remake ToP, what changes would you make?

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I would add a manual battle setting, definitely! I would also add a block button, and make it so that you can jump at will. Lastly, I would make it so that the spells didn't stop all combat, and so that moves didn't have to be mastered.
How about you?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I would add a manual battle setting, definitely! I would also add a block button, and make it so that you can jump at will. Lastly, I would make it so that the spells didn't stop all combat, and so that moves didn't have to be mastered.
How about you?
The PS1 remake and also the PSP remake in Narikiri Dungeon X added all of those besides moves not needing to be mastered.
Every Tales game pretty much let's you master techs anyways though. It's just that it doesn't take long in ToP.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yeah, the only problem I have with the tech mastering system in ToP is that you have almost no way of regaining TP without gels. From my point of view atleast, basic attacks giving TP back would be the better solution to that problem and a few others.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, the only problem I have with the tech mastering system in ToP is that you have almost no way of regaining TP without gels. From my point of view atleast, basic attacks giving TP back would be the better solution to that problem and a few others.
Yeah, I find that really annoying in Phantasia. Hopefully Phantasia's eventual 3rd remake will fix that along with other things. XD
So, what do you guys think of Xillia?

This mothership actually looks worth it this time around.
I think it looks great. After Graces, I can't wait to see how this one turns out.
I liked Vesperia and all, but Vesperia (and Abyss) didn't change up the formula enough from Symphonia, imo.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Xillia looks really interesting in my opinion, I hope it gets translated!
If they re-remake ToP instead of translating a different Tales of game, SOME ONE IS DIEING!
Although, it would be nice to have all of those changes added into the game, it would make it more playable.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not keen on the male main character being named "Jude" but otherwise it looks fun. I'm annoyed at what's happening with Graces though. They want me to buy a PS3 just so I can play a Wii game in my own language? Like that's gonna happen!

I forgot to mention, I'd also throw in the "Channeling" item and a move named "Vedrfolnir" for Cless that would be learnt off of Martel when the tree is restored and look almost exactly like the original version of Rising Phoenix (transforming into a bird to attack).

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Hello folks. I just stumbled into the Light House hoping to find a Tales thread, and lo and behold. I just bought a PS2 so I can finally play Abyss and Legendia (never had a PS2 when I was younger.) Anyways, I got into Tales when I bought Symphonia a long time ago on a whim. Since then I've played Symphonia 2 and Vesperia, and I've always wanted to play all the others.

My PS2 should be coming in the mail tomorrow, and I'll likely play Abyss all day.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
2 more Tales of Xillia PVs. First one is just exploring and battling while the second one shows off the story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCAA2MFkvw&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5vY2CLd2Es&feature=player_embedded
Hello folks. I just stumbled into the Light House hoping to find a Tales thread, and lo and behold. I just bought a PS2 so I can finally play Abyss and Legendia (never had a PS2 when I was younger.) Anyways, I got into Tales when I bought Symphonia a long time ago on a whim. Since then I've played Symphonia 2 and Vesperia, and I've always wanted to play all the others.

My PS2 should be coming in the mail tomorrow, and I'll likely play Abyss all day.
Nice. Hope you enjoy Abyss. I had lots of fun with it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Abyss runs on the same engine as Dawn, minus the air combos (pretty much the same as RM if you've played that). It's a bit glitchy and the loading times are annoying but so long as you save at every save point and not on the field (how I do things anyway), you should be fine.

EDIT: Efreet looks rather impressive in ToX but unless I'm mistaken, those are the western 4 elements. Doesn't that seem a little odd?

Oh and its good to see someone new here Mura.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I love the way that ToX looks, it also seems to play pretty well. The combos and moves themselves are beautiful and flow together nicely (Like a good Tales of Game).
Also, (This is aimed towards Mura) I would recommend you play Abyss more than Legendia. Legendia has a good storyline, and decent battles, but it has times where it is just plain evil. I'd love to hear your opinions on the games once you play them.

Top Bottom