• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just remembered I still haven't gone through Legendia yet. I think Legendia, DotNW, and Hearts are the only three I need to beat that I legitly own.
Even knowing how different Legendia is since it's by a different team, I'm still looking forward to it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Legendia is great. The combat is 2D but it has depth and, though the cast looks to be made out of plastic, they interact far better than any other I've encountered. The scenery is beutiful and, in the oppinion of most, so is the music. My only real complaint is with the lack of multiplayer.

I've not played Hearts as it isn't available in english :(.

My backlog consists of ToV, which I can't play until I visit someone with an Xbox, and ToD PSX, which doesn't work on my PAL PS2 and so can't be played until my computer works properly again.
I aught to get back to hunting down ToL's quiz cottages though. I WILL get that treasure chest title!

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
You can't play any Tales of Ryuu Seika? That really sucks... I think I would go insane if I didn't have any to play! I always have my copy of Phantasia for the gameboy, Legendia, and Symphonia ready at ALL times.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
These are the Tales games I own, if anyone wants to see.

[collapse="Tales of"]
[/collapse]

My friend bought the other Tales games I'm missing like ToS PS2 and ToD Directors Cut, so I was able to play them from him.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Recently, I've been hooked on ToS more than usual... Maybe it's my new awesometastically amazing Zelos combo!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ok, so my swap magic just gave up and somebody has left my DS running for atleast 3 days. I'm starting to wonder what's going to go wrong with my PSP (the Wii's already broken once) to leave me as Talesless as you thought.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
These are the Tales games I own, if anyone wants to see.

[collapse="Tales of"]
[/collapse]

My friend bought the other Tales games I'm missing like ToS PS2 and ToD Directors Cut, so I was able to play them from him.
When did they make ToV for ps3 in America?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Innocence, Hearts, ToD PS2, the second TotA, Phantasia PSP and Narikiri Dungeon 2 are all japan only. What gave you the impression that the PS3 ToV wasn't an import.

Also, I'll be getting a new PS2 in under a week so hopefully my problems are solved.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I wish I was!
Or in other words, no, I only know about 8 Kanji, the "no" symbol and a few dumb phrases like "Watashi no hobakurafuto wa unagi de ippai desu".

If I could I'd probably be playing ToS on my PS2 instead of Legendia. Kaenrekku is just that awesome!

Are you?

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I'm eventually going to learn Japanese, I would love to be able to understand some of the AWESOME Japanese tales of games.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
i would buy ToS for the PS2 first, just so I could hear Lloyd yell MAJINKEN! (no clue ow to spell) over and over again...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Japanese is pretty much phonetic like that so that's the correct spelling.

It might be fun for a bit but the appeal of RPGs where you can't understand the story would wear off fast, even if it was a story I already knew. No, I play Soul Calibur Legends and various fangames for that.
"Majinken! Shouha! Majin Rengazan!" is better anyway.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I know enough Japanese to get a grasp of the story and dialogue in Tales games. Artes, equipment, and such are no problem for me.
Even before I learned Japanese, I didn't mind playing (non turn based) RPGs in another language.
My first Tales game was Phantasia and that was before the patch was out.

I still suggest finding a way to play ToD PS2 though. I love that game, and it's so worth it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Many people love ToD PS2 and make such suggestions. I don't see the point though as I know there is no way I'd enjoy it, even if it really is that great. RPGs are very story driven and it'd probably take me weeks to work out the menus and such (I'm really bad at that kind of thing).

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I could play an RPG that I couldn't understand the story of either. Golden sun 3 was annoying enough on it's own! I would probably get a patch or look up translations and MEMORIZE them... My memory sucks =(

D

Deleted member

Tales of Symphonia was such a great game. I absolutely loved the "Staff Roll" music at the end.

I have yet to play the sequel on the Wii, though. Is it any good?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Many people love ToD PS2 and make such suggestions. I don't see the point though as I know there is no way I'd enjoy it, even if it really is that great. RPGs are very story driven and it'd probably take me weeks to work out the menus and such (I'm really bad at that kind of thing).
Yeah, that's true. If anything you could play through ToD PS1 first, but oh well, I guess it won't solve everything (like skits and such).
I do find ToD probably the most import friendly out of the series.
Tales of Symphonia was such a great game. I absolutely loved the "Staff Roll" music at the end.

I have yet to play the sequel on the Wii, though. Is it any good?
It's ok. The ToS fans really hate it since it wasn't as good as ToS. It's made by a different team, so if you don't expect much out of it, you'll find some enjoyment in the game. Dawn of the World is really a spin off, so that should give you a good idea on how it is compared to ToS.

D

Deleted member

It's ok. The ToS fans really hate it since it wasn't as good as ToS. It's made by a different team, so if you don't expect much out of it, you'll find some enjoyment in the game. Dawn of the World is really a spin off, so that should give you a good idea on how it is compared to ToS.
Thanks for the info! I've heard a lot of hate for the game, so I wouldn't have high expectations to start with. Still think I would like it, though.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
You can only play with the Wiimote and Nun-chuck, doesn't sound like FLUID controls in the slightest!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yeah, that's true. If anything you could play through ToD PS1 first, but oh well, I guess it won't solve everything (like skits and such).
I've already beaten ToD PS1 once but I'm going to have to redo it at some point for the good ending. You can see my final battle here.

You can only play with the Wiimote and Nun-chuck, doesn't sound like FLUID controls in the slightest!
It could have been fluid if they'd used well done wiimote controls instead of the normal arte inputs or something but they didn't. They had arte shortcuts assigned to motions but they didn't work. In short, they should have stuck with the good old GC controller (and game IMO).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've already beaten ToD PS1 once but I'm going to have to redo it at some point for the good ending. You can see my final battle here.
I am a little disappointed they took that out of the PS2 remake. Although I am glad at the other changes they made story-wise.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Took it out? Aww. I wanted to know what happened if you killed Stahn...
Huh? Don't you mean Leon? And it's not like you really kill him in that premature ending. You only just beat him.
How many endings are there for that game (unedited version)?
PS1 version had 2. That fight with Leon is way way early in the game, so it's just a joke/fun ending.
The remake has one ending while the Directors Cut of the Remake has 2 (one for Stahn's and one for Leon's).

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
At least you don't get your endings like in Tales of Symphonia 2. One wrong words and you get the bad ending.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
On the PS1, you get gameplay similar to the early versions of ToP with useless AI and really bad translation. The translation issue is then ,made even worse by leaving the japanese voices in so that you can hear exactly how the spells should have been translated (most spells are named in english in the JP versions).

The cast consists of ten characters, one of the largest in the series, though I never met them all. Each character has a decent tech list and their own individual style of play as regards melee combat, as well as most of them learning spells. Which element of spells each character learns is in theory up to the player, though I couldn't get them to learn anything but their defaults.

It's quite dull IMO and generally considered one of the worst tales games, mostly due to its lacking battle system. This is part of why the remakes receive such praise, as there is nothing wrong with the rest of the game.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Is it multiplayer? I would rather not have any useless people standing around on my team, or as few as possible.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Multiplayer is activated via the use of an item found very early on (called "channeling") that takes up one of your two accessory slots. I'm not sure if you can get more than one of the item so it may be limited to two player.

IIRC the remakes have regular multiplayer.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Sounds fun, I might get it when I get the chance. But, Tales of the Abyss comes first.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I've seen gameplay and the loading screens... They take half of the gameplay time on their own! Thankfully, Symphonia was on a faster system, the gamecube, and you didn't have to wait for your daily dose of awesome.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, Abyss's load times are longer than other Tales games. I didn't have an issue with it though, luckily.
It's pretty decent compared to most games, imo.

Top Bottom