• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Legendia had times where the loading was just awful, but those were very rare. I love cartridge games, they seem perfect, minus the flaws. I would die if I love my copy of Phantasia

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It took a little while to learn to put up with Legendia's panning out each time I went to the world map but that was the only issue I had with it. I had a lot of problems with PS2 games at first though as I was too used to the gamecube.

ToP GBA was infuriating at times (I decided to do everything in completely the wrong order) but that certainly didn't put me off it. It was a great game and the voice acting was good fun, even if it wasn't actually good.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
The only problems I had with Phantasia were that is was CONFUSING AS ALL HELL TO FIND WHERE YOU NEED TO GO! *Ahem* and the semi-auto controls with no block button didn't really help either.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I haven't beaten the GBA version of ToP, but I have played it. It felt a bit weird to me.
From what I remember, the battles felt even slower than the original. And the original was already slow enough.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
The constant stopping to watch spells and summons appear (and kill Mint) was really bothering me. I also can't stand it when Cress (or occasionally Suzu) runs away in the middle of a fight, SEMI AUTO MODE!!!!! *Shakes fist angrily*. Also, you block at random, usually right before a spell is casted at you so either way... you will die.
Enough hating though; ToP did have some insane combos, and the ever-awesome swordrain.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The constant stopping to watch spells and summons appear (and kill Mint) was really bothering me. I also can't stand it when Cress (or occasionally Suzu) runs away in the middle of a fight, SEMI AUTO MODE!!!!! *Shakes fist angrily*. Also, you block at random, usually right before a spell is casted at you so either way... you will die.
Enough hating though; ToP did have some insane combos, and the ever-awesome swordrain.
They wouldn't let you block in the GBA version manually?

And yeah, the spell freezing is probably the biggest thing I hate about ToP's battle system.
The spells just take so long and ruin the pace. XD

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
The spells took too much tp and too little time to cast. Claus was always at 3 tp, I made him use his book ( To earn his Tp usage!!!). Also, Cress was too awesome for the game.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I've completed the game over 20 times now. I have completed the Monster List, Figurine Book, and the Collector's book 100% (meaning I have acquired all possible titles, items, seen all monsters, etc.) This was a huge part of my life through grades 8-10 lol).

Definitely one of the best games I have ever played, Dawn of the New World was just a disgrace.

Best part if the scene before you as Lloyd fight Kratos in Ymir Forest or whatever it's called, or the cutscene that happens if you choose to have Kratos in your party over Zelos and you fight Zelos, 'cause the dialogue before the battle *****.

The only other Tales game I have played were Legendia (an annoying game, but cute graphics and amazing music), Dawn of the New World (never again), & Abyss (Abyss was actually a decently good game).

I am looking forward to Tales of Graces F FINALLY being localized here in NA, and hopefully that happens to Tales of Xillia as well.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone actually know anything about Tales of Xillia? I haven't got a clue about it, except I've heard the main character fights with his (her?) fists.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Jude (the fist fighter) is male (grumble grumble) but you can choose to have a female main character (Milla) instead. She is apparently the physical manifestation of Maxwell and fights with melee versions of classic tales spells. That's as much as I know.

Oh and europe gets Abyss in 2012, though if you're american you get it a lot sooner.

@Lahti: I like ToL but yeah, KoR was utter crap. Abyss will be good on the 3DS because the loading times simply cannot be that long on a cartridge based version of the game.
As for ToG, I'm pretty annoyed at that. It's one thing for them to take a game for the one current console I have and refuse to release it in a language I speak but to then release an enhanced port of it on a different console is just cruel.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I wish that Tales of Fandom (all of the volumes) and the Tales of World Regeneration series were translated. Japanese isn't exactly the easiest language to learn!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
ToF isn't much of a game series from what I've heard. They're more like visual crossover stories. If you can find a translated script for it you'd probably not be missing out on much. I don't know for sure though.

I'd rather have a real game translated but so long as it were on a console I owned, I'd still buy ToF.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I've always wanted to have all of my favorite characters in my party at the same time, that would rock! Imagine having Claus, Zelos, Senel, and Cress in one group!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
That's TotW stuff you're thinking of and besides Klarth, I think that's possible in the non-translated RMs.
I'm not sure who I'd have if it were me but I do know that Arche is the best soul calibur character. She even has a town named after her in SC2.

I'd definitely like to see the other RM games brought over.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
That's TotW stuff you're thinking of and besides Klarth, I think that's possible in the non-translated RMs.
I'm not sure who I'd have if it were me but I do know that Arche is the best soul calibur character. She even has a town named after her in SC2.

I'd definitely like to see the other RM games brought over.
Pfft, Link from the GC version of SCII is the best <3...if he counts.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I play SCL just to beat up my friends as Lloyd. He makes it worth playing.
I'd like to see him return in a real SC game at some point, preferably alongside Kratos to get back at that name stealing jerk from god of war.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I play SCL just to beat up my friends as Lloyd. He makes it worth playing.
I'd like to see him return in a real SC game at some point, preferably alongside Kratos to get back at that name stealing jerk from god of war.
**** that God of War *******! I forget but...doesn't Kratos have a title named God of War lol?
And do you go by HolyMeteor on the Namco Tales Forum? I didn't know people still used those forums, so I registered yesterday after finding out that they are VERY active. HolyStar uses pretty much the same avtar as you do, and his posts sound like yours :bee:

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
**** that God of War *******! I forget but...doesn't Kratos have a title named God of War lol?
And do you go by HolyStar on the Namco Tales Forum? I didn't know people still used those forums, so I registered yesterday after finding out that they are VERY active. HolyStar uses pretty much the same avtar as you do, and his posts sound like yours :bee:
Wow, Kratos ripped off of Kratos! At level 1-- (I think) he gets the title War God.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Lol if he does.

And do you go by HolyMeteor on the Namco Tales Forum?
Yeah, that's me. Seika is sacred or holy fire and Ryuusei is Falling Star (Ryuuseiu is Meteor) so I figured it would work. It actually came from someone jokingly suggesting that I should be my own Hi-Ougi.
Feel free to chat with me there but do keep in mind the fact that they don't like me too much (no, I don't know why).

Wow, Kratos ripped off of Kratos! At level 1-- (I think) he gets the title War God.
I'm assuming you mean that it's his level 100 title.
Mythologically speaking, Cratos is the god of strength, often misinterpreted as the god of war so it sort of makes sense that they'd both hold that title. I just wish the senselessly violent non-ToS character had stuck with the true romanisation instead of nicking Kratos'.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
True, sadly
he had no overlimit in the fight
. He would've been a lot harder and more fun. Also, he was just too awesome for words... Too awesome.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
No
overlimit
? I never realised. Yeah, they definitely should have extended the
fight with him
and given him one, as well as changing up his artes after
he lost a fair bit of health, like with other bosses
. I loved
evil
Zelos and the
battle with him
was great but the speech afterwards felt like too much of a cop out. I had spent over a year looking forward to the time when I could finally
kill Zelos
at that point but then he suddenly became one of the best characters in the game, only to revert to his previous annoying self as he
lay dying

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
That really did disappoint me when
he died
, he was WAY too easy! I think he should've had a mystic arte and all of his possible moves, and some
angelic
spells.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Only in the Japanese (I think the PS2 one) does he have
judgement, holy judgemen
t and shining bind. i wish that if you passed that point and
k
ept him alive
, you would be able to use his mystic arte and
angelic spells.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I was sure he had
Judgement
when
I faced him
because I remember thinking that it was a nice touch to give his
angel form
moves that he didn't actually get in the gamecube version.
And yeah, all japanese exclusives are PS2 only, the japanese gamecube version got nothing we didn't get.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
In the Japanese gamecube version, Kratos always has super blast. That's about it!

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Super blast is the compound ex-skill where you can slash 6 times then link any level 1,2, and 3 attacks in any order. Thats how the Zelos/ Kratos "infinite" is usually done.
Personally, I use aerial spell and my favorite combo ( That refuses to work with Kratos >.<)

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I stopped playing Legendia after the the three bosses in a row.
Maurits, Maurits, then Nerifis!
To be put lightly, I got destroyed. Also, since when was Norma sane?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Her backstory in the character quests claims she was but you wouldn't have played that if you never got past the final boss of the main story.

I got beaten pretty badly by the last of those on my first attempt but it's not that bad once you know what to do. If, however, no amount of practice gets you anywhere, try setting one of Chloe's counter attacks to one of the shoulder shortcuts for when he rises into the air in ball form.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I'll try that next time (thanks!), I usually play as Senel. I got destroyed by his (her?) ball form when it casted ray.

Top Bottom