• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Marta being the daughter of the evil guy
was supposed to be a plot twist?
Their relationship came up before you even knew there was a
leader of the vanguard
, didn't it?

Even if I'm wrong, that was visible a mile off and nobody really cares who
emil
was or wasn't anyway.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Ryuu, have you or do you play to get your characters to level 255 in ToL? I have a feeling it's going to be SUCH a pain for me.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I got mine to 98 without trying on my first playthrough and was annoyed to find I missed out on Lord of Creation by the narrowest of margins. I have never attempted to go for the maximum level but since I have the double EXP item now, I expect I'll get to some high level anyway.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I got mine to 98 without trying on my first playthrough and was annoyed to find I missed out on Lord of Creation by the narrowest of margins. I have never attempted to go for the maximum level but since I have the double EXP item now, I expect I'll get to some high level anyway.
Yeah, I'm level 66 right now and just starting the Character Quests (using a guide to make sure I don't miss those stupid "sidequests" where you have to speak to someone between certain times...).

I really don't want to get to level 255...but for me, that's all part of completing these games.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Well there's the Demon Seal to double all experience and you could always do in in the second playthrough with grade shop 2x exp but it still won't be easy. I'm currently at level 103 and I've only got treasure chests and baking to do before the final boss.

Lord of Creation isn't as fun as I had hoped, though I'd likely enjoy it more if I were playing as Senel.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Well there's the Demon Seal to double all experience and you could always do in in the second playthrough with grade shop 2x exp but it still won't be easy. I'm currently at level 103 and I've only got treasure chests and baking to do before the final boss.

Lord of Creation isn't as fun as I had hoped, though I'd likely enjoy it more if I were playing as Senel.
Yeah I'm on 2x exp on my 2nd run :( I'm not too hyped to get LoC, I only use Senel when I don't have Chloe (which rarely happens) 'cause she's pri gud! I do baking as I go so I don't have to "grind" like did with Abyss.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Cooking has never been of any major interest to me but baking is far worse. Not being able to get rid of my KO reviving "Health Burgers" is downright annoying.

I used Senel for my first playthrough and just couldn't play as Chloe when I tried but playing as her from the earliest moment possible this playthrough made her fighting style so much easier to pick up and I now have problems with Senel instead.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I'm playing Vesperia on hard mode with my sister, and I'm noticing some really disgusting traits about hard mode AI. For one, if there's multiple enemies, and I start doing a combo on one, at least one enemy will stop attacking whoever it was attacking just to come and interrupt the combo. Even more disgusting is that if I ever go into over limit, every single enemy on the field will immediately target me to make sure I don't get to use it. It's incredibly frustrating. Even though my sister is playing (as Estelle), I'm the only one who gets mobbed. The other combative cpus rarely ever die, but I die at least once per fight because all the enemies are on me. I wonder if they're targeting P1 specifically, or just Yuri. This'll be so much better when Rita starts learning the good spells.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
As far as I know, the AI in Vesperia will prioritize Player 1. It's somewhat interesting though. I've found that if I start a match as Yuri and then switch over to Rita right away, the AI leaves me alone. However, if I start out as say, Repede, the enemy is still back on me. You might end up getting targeted based on who you control as the battle begins.

But yes, the AI targeting you only is a completely ***** to deal with. Especially during certain boss battles. This is why OL Destruction Field/Crushing Eagle Spam exists.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
As far as I know, the AI in Vesperia will prioritize Player 1. It's somewhat interesting though. I've found that if I start a match as Yuri and then switch over to Rita right away, the AI leaves me alone. However, if I start out as say, Repede, the enemy is still back on me. You might end up getting targeted based on who you control as the battle begins.

But yes, the AI targeting you only is a completely ***** to deal with. Especially during certain boss battles. This is why OL Destruction Field/Crushing Eagle Spam exists.
I haven't played Vesperia, but maybe the AI attacks who they feel is more of a threat? Like if your character is fast and focuses on melee they'll probably be targeted?

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Well **** lol, then who knows how they work :urg:

But Legendia's AI for your party members are RIDICULOUS dumb! They'll just move back and forth 5 times, stand there for a bit, then cast. Among other things..they just piss me off. Not to mention Legendia has some ridiculous title requirements.

But nevermind, someone give me Vesperia PS3 and translate it for me and I'll be your friend forever.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm pretty sure Vesperia's enemy AI targets the character you were controlling at the beginning of the battle.

Nothing beats Abyss's AI, where your allies think any AoE healing spell is dangerous. It's typically better to cast them on an enemy in hopes that your ally will at least get healed when they inevitably run headlong into the boss with 5HP left.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
But Legendia's AI for your party members are RIDICULOUS dumb! They'll just move back and forth 5 times, stand there for a bit, then cast. Among other things..they just piss me off. Not to mention Legendia has some ridiculous title requirements.
Don't dis Legendia's spellcaster AI when it can solo whole dungeons. The reason they do that is because of the TP regaining system. As the characters regain TP over time, they try to minimise their TP usage by increasing the time between spells, rather than casting low level ones which would be mostly useless. As such, your issue should be helped by setting them to a higher TP use strategy setting.
My only complaint about ToL AI is that they didn't bother to give AI Senel the ability to throw.

The titles are a little excessive though. Dying 3 times in one battle as Moses would have been so much easier if I knew about it when I got him, rather than having to do so late on when he takes about 5 damage from every hit...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Set everyone but Norma to do nothing and give Norma the Deamon's Seal so she does no damage. It'll take forever but that is possible.
I can't be sure it's a real title though as "Wow!" and "Face Anything" are both fake ("Wow" is apparently real though).

EDIT: and unless the "Greatest Treasure Hunter" one is also fake, I've missed a treasure chest :(.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Set everyone but Norma to do nothing and give Norma the Deamon's Seal so she does no damage. It'll take forever but that is possible.
I can't be sure it's a real title though as "Wow!" and "Face Anything" are both fake ("Wow" is apparently real though).

EDIT: and unless the "Greatest Treasure Hunter" one is also fake, I've missed a treasure chest :(.
I'm not gonna bother with Greatest Treasure Hunter, 'cause I swear I've gotten every chest in Symphonia but I can't get Sheena's title, so I'm too annoyed to try it for Norma.

What site are you using for your titles? Every site I use has less titles listed than what I have lol.

How do you get Wow! or Face Anything? :confused:

So...many...titles...but it's something to do while I wait for Graces f, and when that comes out I'll spam this thread with my doings in game.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I've been using gamefaqs but only because I don't want to go back to the official tales forums.
They're where you'll find the most accurate list I expect.

EDIT: I found one of the chests I was missing. I Werites Beacon of all places.
I didn't get the title though. I suspect I missed it in the MQ aswell :(.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I've been using gamefaqs but only because I don't want to go back to the official tales forums.
They're where you'll find the most accurate list I expect.

EDIT: I found one of the chests I was missing. I Werites Beacon of all places.
I didn't get the title though. I suspect I missed it in the MQ aswell :(.
Sadface :( Oh well. I don't really like the official forums, the people there are so boring!

As for the 5 climax combo thingie for Norma...I was wondering if I could just go into battle with a full climax bar, do the combo, then keep using climax bottles to fill the gauge. Since I'm not sure how much bottle fill up the gauge I'm also gonna have Norma just use a spell that the enemy would absorb so the gauge would go up without doing any damage, I'm not sure if that will work though.

Yeah, that's my plan :)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Hitting or being hit will up the bar, regardless of damage but the bottles hardly fill it at all.

"Face Anything" was supposedly for removing every chaotic zone but it isn't real.
And I don't know about "Wow!" but the less fake "Wow" is obtained by getting 3 eres stone drops in one battle, possibly requiring Norma in the party and possibly even player controlled.

I'm kinda annoyed by Graces F. Why couldn't the localise it for the Wii? I'm not buying a PS3 just to play a Wii game in english!

And I didn't exactly find the tales forum folk boring. More like infuriating.
I stayed their for years, unable to find another outlet for my need to talk about tales. Then this place showed up and I've never looked back.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm kinda annoyed by Graces F. Why couldn't the localise it for the Wii? I'm not buying a PS3 just to play a Wii game in english!
Because then even more people would be complaining that we aren't going to be getting the better version.
Plus it was a better choice since I'm sure Namco was probably afraid of sales being hurt by pirating.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Hitting or being hit will up the bar, regardless of damage but the bottles hardly fill it at all.

"Face Anything" was supposedly for removing every chaotic zone but it isn't real.
And I don't know about "Wow!" but the less fake "Wow" is obtained by getting 3 eres stone drops in one battle, possibly requiring Norma in the party and possibly even player controlled.

And I didn't exactly find the tales forum folk boring. More like infuriating.
I stayed their for years, unable to find another outlet for my need to talk about tales. Then this place showed up and I've never looked back.
Being hit fills up the bar?! Snap I should pay more attention...I go through every choatic zone anyway, I'm OCD like that. Would have been cool if I got a title for that though :)
Luckily I have a PS3, I actually sold my Wii a while back to buy it lol (hype). But that sucks
:( Unless you can someone how borrow or rent a PS3?

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
On yeha Ryuu, whats your opinion on Chloe's move Prima Donna? I use Prima Donna+Freezzing and it's pretty OP, but I LOVE using this move lol. Sooo useful.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Because then even more people would be complaining that we aren't going to be getting the better version.
There's that but, as people have said, they have no reason not to port the updated version back across.

Luckily I have a PS3, I actually sold my Wii a while back to buy it lol (hype). But that sucks
:( Unless you can someone how borrow or rent a PS3?
I tried using someone's Xbox for ToV and I still don't know if the game even works as, since making the arrangements, they haven't been in touch with me at all.

On yeha Ryuu, whats your opinion on Chloe's move Prima Donna? I use Prima Donna+Freezzing and it's pretty OP, but I LOVE using this move lol. Sooo useful.
I get lazy and spam Demon Fang Fury for the most part but when it comes to serious battles, Prima Donna +Freezing is definitely a worthwhile move. I'm not quite as convinced on the straight up no bonuses version but, so long as you aren't facing something that attacks front and back at the same time, it still negates a hit and deals a fair whack of damage.

I went through every chaotic zone but one on my first playthrough because I'm like that too but this time I actually fought in all of them. No title.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I'm not one to spam moves, but I wasn't in the mood for battles today (mainly because I was fighting an array of those short *** egg things:urg:) and I just equipped a Faerie Ring and spammed Twin Demon Fang->Demon Fang Fury lol...then I'd run into a battle with a flying enemy and do something else:(

I'm just hyped to finish my Collector's Book 'cause that's really the only tedious thing to do in this game. If I miss a title and can't get it I guess I could always do another playthrough, And I won't need to cook or try and finish the collector's book 'cause...well, it'll be done!

/Graces f hype

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
My collectors book will be missing two items, maybe three at the end of this playthrough :(.
Also, with extreme symbol, my DFF does upwards of 10000 damage so I have no need to combo it.
Aww :( What items are you missing?

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Clear Shell and the Judas mask that I can make with it.
Also, I haven't the red herb I need for the Deck Brush but hopefully I just missed one.
So I just completed the Collector's Book! Yeayuhz! I think I'm missing about 3 titles in-game now. I'll get those done, then I have to get everyone to level 255...after that I'm finally done every Tales game that I own, and I can wait patiently for Graces F.

And supposedly I can just keep fighting the first 5 bosses in the Cradle of Time, and then heal at that one place so basically stay there for a couple hours a day without having to move. Equipped 2 character sin my party with Demon/Dark Seal =255 in no time at all.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You might be better off facing the first five of the second six, I'm not sure.
Plus, I have to keep going back to bake.

You might be better off facing the first five of the second six, I'm not sure.
Plus, I have to keep going back to bake.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Dark/Demon Seals will up the exp for the entire party so they up what you see in the results screen. You do not get twice the value shown.

You can go back after the first six and after the second six, as well as in the middle of either. Going back in the middle will reset the six you are on but not the whole thing.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Dark/Demon Seals will up the exp for the entire party so they up what you see in the results screen. You do not get twice the value shown.

You can go back after the first six and after the second six, as well as in the middle of either. Going back in the middle will reset the six you are on but not the whole thing.
Yeah I figured that's how the Dark/Demon Seals worked after a few battles lol, thanks for clarifying that man! You're pretty helpful lol.

I really like fighting the first 5 bosses since I can pretty much kill them all in one combo, including the Gold and Silver Galfs. Just keep them at the edge of the screen and combo <3

Edit: I just remembered...since I sold my Wii, that means my ToS:DotNW save file is on there...meaning once I get a WiiU I'll have to redo the game :(

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ooch! You didn't back it up then? I'd be happy to replay any Tales game but that one.

I decided to give up on getting everything in ToL for now and just finish the game. I'll reload my save and do extras later though.
Why do all NPCs have pink eres?

I do try to be of help and if there's one thing I really know, it's Tales.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Ok, when I said I didn't have anything salvageable in terms of story for my fan game concept, that wasn't a lie.
I do, however, have a completely unrelated story that is still based on the Tales Series, with various references here and there. It's inspired primarily by ToL, seeing as that's what I've been playing lately, but it will most likely incorporate bits from all the games I've played. And one or two I haven't...

Here's the link.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Tales of the Abyss is coming to 3DS pretty soon. I never played the PS2 one, but I liked Phantasia and Symphonia.

Should I pick it up?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Tales of the Abyss is coming to 3DS pretty soon. I never played the PS2 one, but I liked Phantasia and Symphonia.

Should I pick it up?
Yeah, you should pick it up. While I enjoyed Phantasia and Symphonia more than Abyss, Abyss was pretty fun.
And it'll be nice to have a pretty long RPG on the go as well.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The main problem that put me off Abyss whe I played it on the PS2 was the loading times so I'll be picking up the 3DS version at some point and I'd recommend you do too. Just the act of transfering it to a cartridge should shorten the loading immensly.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Ok, when I said I didn't have anything salvageable in terms of story for my fan game concept, that wasn't a lie.
I do, however, have a completely unrelated story that is still based on the Tales Series, with various references here and there. It's inspired primarily by ToL, seeing as that's what I've been playing lately, but it will most likely incorporate bits from all the games I've played. And one or two I haven't...

Here's the link.
Not bad at a all man! I have nothing to critique!

Should I pick it up?
Definitely! It's such a good game. I pretty much agree with ryuu that the only thing I hated about Abyss were the loading times. But those are said to be fixed now.

Top Bottom