• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Monsters on your team was the intention for the start. They basically went "Hey, Nintendo wants us to make an RPG, I know, let's rip off Pokemon", though they phrased it better in the interviews. Then, midway through they thought "Hmm, this story is kinda like Symphonia and everyone loved that, I know, let's merge them".
This is legitimately what happened in development. And yes, it was rushed.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I enjoyed it. Either way.

I want Xillia and Graces F to not be ps3 exclusive :(

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I honestly don't care if Xillia comes over or not, due to the fact that many people say it's unfinished (it's missing many Tales series staples, including cameo battles!). Plus the battles seem way too easy with that ridiculous backstep and things.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm almost halfway through Xillia right now. The game is pretty good but just lacks some things here and there.

As for battles, they're really fun for a Symphonia styled game. Jude and Milla are way better than the rest of the cast unfortunately (like most Team Symphonia games). Plus there are other issues like how most of the cast don't have that many link artes. I haven't done multiplayer yet, but I hear Link Mode (on Overlimit?) makes your partner CPU controlled which sucks.

I'm not going to be surprised if they do a director's cut/better version of some sort.
It's happened for almost every game since Symphonia.

D

Deleted member

As someone who beat ToS to death, I try to pretend that the sequel doesn't exist.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I'm almost halfway through Xillia right now. The game is pretty good but just lacks some things here and there.

As for battles, they're really fun for a Symphonia styled game. Jude and Milla are way better than the rest of the cast unfortunately (like most Team Symphonia games). Plus there are other issues like how most of the cast don't have that many link artes. I haven't done multiplayer yet, but I hear Link Mode (on Overlimit?) makes your partner CPU controlled which sucks.

I'm not going to be surprised if they do a director's cut/better version of some sort.
It's happened for almost every game since Symphonia.
You playing the JP vers?

Also mura was jokingly ref the discarding of relation to LA.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Also mura was jokingly ref the discarding of relation to LA.
I never did go back and read what anyone said.

The real reason I'm not associating with LA anymore is because there's a lot of people there I hate so much that I do stupid things like start arguments. It ain't healthy, better for me and them if I just leave. Besides, there's better people where I am now.

In more on topic news, I noticed you're looking for Vesperia. You can borrow it from me when I come back in 2 weeks if you want.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I never did go back and read what anyone said.

The real reason I'm not associating with LA anymore is because there's a lot of people there I hate so much that I do stupid things like start arguments. It ain't healthy, better for me and them if I just leave. Besides, there's better people where I am now.

In more on topic news, I noticed you're looking for Vesperia. You can borrow it from me when I come back in 2 weeks if you want.
I appreciate the offer but I managed to acquire what I believe is the last copy in Louisiana lmao. Now to find abyss for ps2

:phone:

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
3DS Abyss is a vast improvement IMO. None of the loading time related issue.
Did they fix the glitches such as not being able to cast a spell after certain Mystic Artes/the game freezing when certain enemies used certain Mystic Artes?

Gold Dart

Smash Apprentice
ToS is an awsome game. I've also played ToP, but never any other "Tales of" games.
Once I get a 3DS I'll probably buy Tales of the Abyss, how good is it?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Did they fix the glitches such as not being able to cast a spell after certain Mystic Artes/the game freezing when certain enemies used certain Mystic Artes?
I'm not honestly sure. I never encountered those issues on the PS2 (lucky me!) and haven't got far enough to do so on the 3DS yet.

@Dart: The characters aren't as instantly likeable as those of ToS and, for me atleast, the story wasn't quite so endearing. It's still a great game though and it definitely has the same Tales charm and replay value.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
ToS is an awsome game. I've also played ToP, but never any other "Tales of" games.
Once I get a 3DS I'll probably buy Tales of the Abyss, how good is it?
Abyss is a must for any Tales fan, it's great. The 3D isn't very good, but it's still a very worthwhile game. Compared to ToS, I'd say the story is (only slightly) inferior but still formidable as better than the average RPG storyline. And the combat system is hella fun once you get used to it.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Abyss is a must for any Tales fan, it's great. The 3D isn't very good, but it's still a very worthwhile game. Compared to ToS, I'd say the story is (only slightly) inferior but still formidable as better than the average RPG storyline. And the combat system is hella fun once you get used to it.
Do want.

Gold Dart

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't care much about 3D anyways, so I'll definitely pick up a copy when I get the chance.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I honestly don't care much about 3D anyways, so I'll definitely pick up a copy when I get the chance.
Abyss freakin' *****. 3rd favourite game after Symphonia and Graces.

Does anyone know why I can't post on the Tales series wall on Facebook? I can't even view posts from others or see pictures others have posted,

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Not counting PS2 Tales of Destiny, I'd probably say Symphonia was the last Tales game OST that I truly enjoyed. From then on, Sakuraba's Tales music quality began to decline. Legendia's music was really good, but that was done by Go Shiina.

To each their own though. I like the composer's works but his Tales music is lacking.
As for Abyss, it's alright.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I'm also playing through Abyss at the moment. It's one of those games that I've started several times, but never finished.

I should probably go back and finish Graces eventually too. :I

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Just put like 10 hours into TotA. Great game, I'm loving Luke's development.

My team is Luke/Guy/Tear/Jade :D

Turazrok

Smash Master
Repede for best tales party member of all time. Crack pipe smoking dog who is too classy to fight with his claws.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
A scan for the new game in the Tales series has just been announced:

http://gematsu.com/2012/05/next-tales-of-scan-surfaces

...and to be honest, I'm not that excited. It has Xillia's art style (which isn't negative at all, but I find the art style not fitting towards the Tales series). It also seems to look somewhat more futuristic in tandem with the newest instalments of the series- which I don't approve of.

I'd love to see them take their time on a game, instead of releasing a new instalment every year in Japan. The feel of the series seems rushed as of late, and the games don't feel like they belong in the Tales series anymore.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
A scan for the new game in the Tales series has just been announced:

http://gematsu.com/2012/05/next-tales-of-scan-surfaces

...and to be honest, I'm not that excited. It has Xillia's art style (which isn't negative at all, but I find the art style not fitting towards the Tales series). It also seems to look somewhat more futuristic in tandem with the newest instalments of the series- which I don't approve of.

I'd love to see them take their time on a game, instead of releasing a new instalment every year in Japan. The feel of the series seems rushed as of late, and the games don't feel like they belong in the Tales series anymore.
It's just concept art done by Daigo Okumura. I'd say it's too early on judging what the art style will look like considering how many Tales games he's worked on. I saw the scan earlier last week and I'm actually pretty excited for it if it's on PS3. Tales games have been improving a great deal lately with Graces and Xillia.

Tales games have been rushed starting with Symphonia, so there's nothing stopping that unfortunately. I'm sure it'll be fine this time though since the team won't have to rush for an anniversary deadline like Abyss and Xillia.

Anyways, I'm getting towards the end of Xillia and I absolutely love it. One of my most favorite Tales out of the series so far. I know people keep saying Xillia was really rushed, but from what I've played so far, it doesn't feel that different from any past Tales game as far as main story content goes which was my main concern. I know it doesn't have a ton of extras, but I'm fine with how it currently is. I think too many people are jumping on the bandwagon and saying Xillia is bad for being rushed because of a certain interview.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
It's just concept art done by Daigo Okumura. I'd say it's too early on judging what the art style will look like considering how many Tales games he's worked on. I saw the scan earlier last week and I'm actually pretty excited for it if it's on PS3. Tales games have been improving a great deal lately with Graces and Xillia.

Tales games have been rushed starting with Symphonia, so there's nothing stopping that unfortunately. I'm sure it'll be fine this time though since the team won't have to rush for an anniversary deadline like Abyss and Xillia.

Anyways, I'm getting towards the end of Xillia and I absolutely love it. One of my most favorite Tales out of the series so far. I know people keep saying Xillia was really rushed, but from what I've played so far, it doesn't feel that different from any past Tales game as far as main story content goes which was my main concern. I know it doesn't have a ton of extras, but I'm fine with how it currently is. I think too many people are jumping on the bandwagon and saying Xillia is bad for being rushed because of a certain interview.
I know next to nothing about Xillia. I don't understand Japanese/Kanji or whatever language is used. I have really only watched gameplay videos. I'm sure it's an excellent game (being part of the Tales' series and all).

I guess I am judging this game way too early, but I really want a new Tales game that's the best that it can be, and I hope it'll blow me away.

#hoping for Graces battle system.

What makes Xillia one of your favourite games in the series to date? I'm actually very curious.

Symphonia is still my favourite game to date. For me it had the best music, most captivating story, plot twists that weren't easily guessed and hinted at on a grotesque level, and some of the most interesting characters to date.

Ugh, I keep editing to add on more text. I'm glad the next game will be on the PS3, since it's the only current-gen console I own. I think NamcoBandai will be sticking to one console for their games, seeing as if they keep release them on different platform it'll spread the series out too much, and a lot of people won't buy the game if it's on a console they don't own, and they won't buy a console just for one game in series.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Long post coming up.
What makes Xillia one of your favourite games in the series to date? I'm actually very curious.
I'm ranking Xillia pretty high up at the moment due to several things. First obvious thing is probably graphics/presentation. Graphics are the best out of the series. It looks especially better in person since you'll be looking at the TV from a reasonable distance. Character models are really good unless it's some unimportant NPC. The cities look absolutely amazing in Xillia. The weakest part graphically are the field areas by far though. Character designs are pretty good in this game as well. Alvin and Leia are my favorite in Xillia.

Cutscene presentation is great. I'd say it's on the same quality level of Square games in terms of directing. Best anime cutscenes in the series as well since it's done by ufotable. It's basically movie quality.

Battle system is the best from Team Symphonia and I feel they fixed a lot of things that irked me in older games. You build TP much faster in this game, AC is like your CC so you're able to do longer combos (there's no min/max AC, and the recharge on AC is instant unlike ToG), free run is good depending on your character (it's not broken but it's not weak either), and battles are really fast in this game. Downsides are not too many Mystic Artes and the side characters are a bit weaker that the main two, imo. Linking is good, but from what I hear, Overlimit disables multiplayer which is rather dumb. Also, the Sphere Grid-esque system the game has is a plus from me. It isn't linear either so you can choose what you want first.

Last is the story. Pretty good variety on where your party travels. The story is one of the better ones out of the series. People say your other party members feel tacked on to the story but I disagree. Paired with the presentation of the game, it's done well. Xillia has some pretty awesome events which I felt Graces lacked. Graces didn't have any awesome moments like Xillia or past Tales had.

Pretty much it feels like the Tales series moved on to current gen quality. The story may be shorter than Abyss and Vesperia (but not by much) because of it being rushed, but it's kind of a good thing. It doesn't have that filler 3rd part that those games had where it feels like it's dragging on for now reason. The game isn't perfect, but it's really good for a game that had to meet a deadline. The main thing I fear about future Tales games are lack of in-game costumes because of DLC. :ohwell:
Symphonia is still my favourite game to date. For me it had the best music, most captivating story, plot twists that weren't easily guessed and hinted at on a grotesque level, and some of the most interesting characters to date.
Symphonia's probably one of my favorite as well. I tend to move Phantasia, Symphonia, and Destiny PS2 to a separate category now since nostalgia and bias affects it somewhat. Outside of those 3, from what I've beaten, I like Vesperia and Xillia. Vesperia has a ton of content, great characters (imo), and good story (aside from the last part).
Ugh, I keep editing to add on more text. I'm glad the next game will be on the PS3, since it's the only current-gen console I own. I think NamcoBandai will be sticking to one console for their games, seeing as if they keep release them on different platform it'll spread the series out too much, and a lot of people won't buy the game if it's on a console they don't own, and they won't buy a console just for one game in series.
I actually didn't mean it'll be on PS3, I'm only hoping it is, haha. Tales have done best on Sony consoles in Japan, so I'm hoping they stick with it. But you never know, the next mothership could be for Vita or 3DS or maybe even Wii U if Bandai Namco is daring.

Top Bottom