• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

ryuu seika

Smash Master
What was that?
The original PAL release date for the game was friday the 6th of february.
On the 31st of january, Namco announced that Atari would be handling all their european releases from then on.
On the 3rd, it turned out that Ubisoft hadn't even bothered to start work on the port and, when questioned on the matter, Atari simply said "we have no plans to release the game in europe".
Almost exactly 6 months after the intended release date, Atari of europe went bankrupt and became a subsection of Namco's european division.
9 months after that, Namco finally released the game, with a few extra hats as the only thing to show for the year and a quarter wait.
Then the game sucked anyway. They put me through all that for nothing!

And that was the only time I've ever preordered anything.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
For Umbreon if he happens to see this:

i have the devils arms sitting at 9.8k and they're definitely still growing. i see nothing that would suggest that they stop at 5k flat.

i herb farmed sheena to 999 int so cyclone seal hits abyssion for like 12k. the stat farming is still weaker than the devils arms growths so it's usually better to still spell cancel or serpent seal lock him than even going for 999s on stats with really high damage modifiers.

iirc nebilim demonic circle is the strongest non-special skill, so start your testing there (biggest damage modifier = nebilim count boosts are more obvious visually). obviously it's not as good as the hi-ougi skills.
Tried to post this to your profile to reduce off=topic schtuff, but it's set to private :(
Strongest base attack damage for each character (not taking into enemies elemental weaknesses and stuff):

Llloyd- Demonic Circle- 450

Collette- Hammer Rain- 1050
Sacrifice- 1000

Genius- Indignation- 1000
Meteor Storm- 425x 14 (if somehow hit by all 14 meteors)

Raine- Holy Lance base attack- 900
Ray- 350x 9 (if hit by all 9 rays)

Sheena- Cyclone Seal- 385

Kratos/Zelos- Super Lightning Blade- 375
Air Thrust- 70x 7

Presea- Beast- 500

Regal- Wolverine- 350

But anyways, even after 25 playthroughs Demonic Circle is doing around 15,000 damage to the Dragon Knight from the Coliseum on Mania. I'm sure Lloyd is the character with the most kills throughout all my playthroughs, followed by Kratos. He should be doing more, but whatevs. It's funny because Kratos has less kills than Lloyd yet S. Lightning Blade with Soul Eater does more than Demonic Circle...

+This video mentions that Devil's Arms max out at 5k kills (which my Lloyd has more). Guess I'll herb farm for the 3k attack stat lol. I should be doing more than 5k damager with 5k kills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9CSy4ZQCjU

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I never maxed out my Devil Arms in Symphonia. The only game I maxed out all my Devil Arms (or at least made my strength go up to 9999) was in Vesperia for the PS3. Yuri with 9999 on attack, 9999 uses on Final Gale, and 8 Overlimits was overkill, haha.

On a side note, does anyone remember if Abyss's kill count carried over on playthroughs like all the other games?

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I would like to try out some more Tales of games, but I really don't have the money for Graces F right now.

Guess it's a bit of a blessing in disguise though, I have so many Atlus games to play through, and I should probably go back and finish Abyss too.

Is NamcoBandai as bad as Atlus when it comes to the amount of games they ship out? How difficult might it be to find later on?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I would like to try out some more Tales of games, but I really don't have the money for Graces F right now.

Guess it's a bit of a blessing in disguise though, I have so many Atlus games to play through, and I should probably go back and finish Abyss too.

Is NamcoBandai as bad as Atlus when it comes to the amount of games they ship out? How difficult might it be to find later on?
Just as bad if you're talking about finding one in stores brand new later on. Finding them online isn't too bad unless you wait too long.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Picked up Graces on the 13th, and I've clocked in a little over 20 hours so far! The game is so good- but the fast paced battle system is what's really drawn me to the game. I'm taking my time with this one, talking to every NPC, exploring every possible area, no matter how minuscule it is.

I'm really enjoying this game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Picked up Graces on the 13th, and I've clocked in a little over 20 hours so far! The game is so good- but the fast paced battle system is what's really drawn me to the game. I'm taking my time with this one, talking to every NPC, exploring every possible area, no matter how minuscule it is.

I'm really enjoying this game.
Same, except for the 20 hours part. lol

Been taking my time with it by battling and also exploring. I'll start playing a lot more after finals.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Same, except for the 20 hours part. lol

Been taking my time with it by battling and also exploring. I'll start playing a lot more after finals.
Yeha, I'm taking my time too. I've been mostly battling to master my titles. The battles are so fun so it's all good.

Are you playing mainly as Asbel?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeha, I'm taking my time too. I've been mostly battling to master my titles. The battles are so fun so it's all good.

Are you playing mainly as Asbel?
I've been switching here and there since I love how everyone can fight well. But most of my playthrough is with Asbel right now since I'm doing battles in Hard as much as I can. I like getting all those SP bonuses. Plus I've only gotten to the point where I have Cheria and Sophie, so I'd rather have dedicated healers at the moment.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I've only dedicated an hour thus far. Lifestyle doesn't quite permit me to play very much. When the semester ends, I will dedicate a week to this game; Guaranteed 40+ hours then.

But I dno't like the battle system, atm. Hopefully it will grow on me. For what I have been given, it's difficult for me to differentiate the moves in a way I can judge and actually make use of directional control stick assigned moves. But, it is the beginning, so I'm sure it's just a beginners thing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've only dedicated an hour thus far. Lifestyle doesn't quite permit me to play very much. When the semester ends, I will dedicate a week to this game; Guaranteed 40+ hours then.

But I dno't like the battle system, atm. Hopefully it will grow on me. For what I have been given, it's difficult for me to differentiate the moves in a way I can judge and actually make use of directional control stick assigned moves. But, it is the beginning, so I'm sure it's just a beginners thing.
It'll feel naturally later on for the artes. Plus you're probably at the child arc still. The gameplay opens up a lot afterwards.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It took me a long while to get the hang of symphonia's battle system at first and even longer before I learnt to care about the artes I used. Just keep at it for now and assign moves to the places that make sense. Eventually you'll get the hang of it and you most definitely won't regret it.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
yooooooooooo cheria is a biddy<3

so far so good with the game. i think im starting to get the battle system down

but like little things are kinda bugging me.. like do the cities and towns seem... Under populated? lol like in the capital? idk

maybe im just out the swing since i havent played a tales game since vespira like 3 years ago.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
yooooooooooo cheria is a biddy<3

so far so good with the game. i think im starting to get the battle system down

but like little things are kinda bugging me.. like do the cities and towns seem... Under populated? lol like in the capital? idk

maybe im just out the swing since i havent played a tales game since vespira like 3 years ago.
Yeah, I agree, haha. I do give it the benefit of the doubt since it originally was a Wii game.

I'm almost near the end of the game. I've been sticking with Evil mode besides a few boss fights.
What's everyone's team? I've been using Asbel, Sophie, Malik, and Pascal the most.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
IIRC the original version of Graces was FULLY voiced in japan, every NPC, every shopkeeper, everything.
If so, it's no wonder it was overpopulated, though I might be getting mixed up with Xillia.
I know the Wii version didn't do that. As for the PS3 Japanese version, I don't think so.
Xillia didn't give voices to all the NPCs but they did give voices to tons of stuff like subevents.

Anyway, I've already beaten the main game of Graces awhile ago. Still working on finishing up the Future arc and doing all the other extras. Not my favorite Tales in terms of story, but it's definitely in my top 3 for best Tales battle system.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I know the Wii version didn't do that. As for the PS3 Japanese version, I don't think so.
Xillia didn't give voices to all the NPCs but they did give voices to tons of stuff like subevents.

Anyway, I've already beaten the main game of Graces awhile ago. Still working on finishing up the Future arc and doing all the other extras. Not my favorite Tales in terms of story, but it's definitely in my top 3 for best Tales battle system.
I agree. Graces' storyline isn't on par with some other games in the series, but it definitely takes the top spot for best battle system in the series (I've only played Symphonia, Dawn of the New World, Legendia, Abyss, and Graces).

I've had the option to battle the final boss of the main arc for quite some time now, but I've been grinding, doing inn requests, and mastering all my titles (as well as getting missing ones). I'll probably do the final boss soon, but I want to get every possible thing done in the main arc until I move on...

Turazrok

Smash Master
**** finding abyss for ps2 or vesparia for 360 I hate where I live lol

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I picked up Graces f a few days ago.

It's pretty fun so far, mashing that X button, as well as trying to learn to mash smarter...
I never really went beyond mashing in a Tales game, so I'm having fun trying to learn this system.

The CC system caught me off guard with how it is used for apparently everything. The other Tales games I played made me expect a more standard TP system, but CC is pretty cool now that I'm getting used to it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well, I finished the game awhile ago. I just have the secret dungeon but I'll do that after I get the remaining dolls.
Probably my favorite Tales battle system from the series which is great. Story was weak, but I was expecting that from the start. Asbel's character was weak for a Tales hero, but regardless, I liked the whole cast and their personality. Along with that, all the skits were cool. Music was terrible or forgettable, imo. Only song I liked was Fendel's port.

I don't know how to rank Graces so far with the other Tales game, but I enjoyed it a lot.
I picked up Graces f a few days ago.

It's pretty fun so far, mashing that X button, as well as trying to learn to mash smarter...
I never really went beyond mashing in a Tales game, so I'm having fun trying to learn this system.

The CC system caught me off guard with how it is used for apparently everything. The other Tales games I played made me expect a more standard TP system, but CC is pretty cool now that I'm getting used to it.
Most Tales games you can probably get by with mashing X aside from a few. But yeah, definitely learn the battle system and turn up the difficulty if you find it too easy. HIgher difficulties grant you more items and SP too so it's pretty rewarding.

If you play it on normal, the game might feel too easy at times. To me, Tales are great for their battle systems. Take that away and all I have left are characters and skits.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I have it on normal right now, random battles are easy but I've had a little trouble with some bosses. I may mess around with the difficulty latter. I may have even played with a higher difficulty in an earlier game too.

Yeah, the music hasn't really been memorable but I haven't hated any of it, it's just sort of standard stuff. I went into this game knowing of its shortcomings but the fun battle system should more than make up for any of that.

I still have not beat Abyss though, so maybe I'll return to that whenever I finish this, if I don't get distracted by anything else.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I have it on normal right now, random battles are easy but I've had a little trouble with some bosses. I may mess around with the difficulty latter. I may have even played with a higher difficulty in an earlier game too.

Yeah, the music hasn't really been memorable but I haven't hated any of it, it's just sort of standard stuff. I went into this game knowing of its shortcomings but the fun battle system should more than make up for any of that.

I still have not beat Abyss though, so maybe I'll return to that whenever I finish this, if I don't get distracted by anything else.
Higher difficulties means longer, and harder battles. They're actually much more enjoyable than playing on Normal or Easy. I recently unlocked Chaos difficulty so I've been playing on that. It's mad hard lol. The music for the last dungeon in the main arc is actually really good if you listen to it. Also, the boss theme that plays during the battle with Cedric, among others, is REALLY good.

I 100%'ed the PS2 version of Abyss a while back, I suggest doing it aha.

I can't wait 'til this semester is over so I can nerd out and 100% Graces...

Turazrok

Smash Master
Finally found vesparia. Jumping is iffy, but overall I'm digging the ability to construct fist of the north star combos. Also I'm not liking the lack of a dedicated healer for vast periods of time.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
A lot of the characters have healing artes thankfully. The sections without a healer tend to have enemies that drop gels liberally (at least, that's what I noticed), and cooking is effective as well.

swordplayer

Smash Rookie
I just finished Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World today and I enjoyed it. It wasn't the most epic tales game but it was worth the playthrough

Turazrok

Smash Master
Nope. I wouldn't expect a US announcement until E3 or so though. It's just too soon since Graces has been out for only a month.
Yeah idk anything about graces. Also hoping for 360 releases :(

I just finished Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World today and I enjoyed it. It wasn't the most epic tales game but it was worth the playthrough
Yeah it got a lot of hate simply because it wasn't ToS1 I think lol.

Also it was rushed and could've been better.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I've been playing Vesperia on unknown. It's been fun, but really hard sometimes. Rita Tidal Spam makes regular fights so easy. I'm at Tarqueron now so I'll be finishing it today.

Also, DotNW was bad because they tacked Symphonia's characters onto what was essentially a completely different Tales game. Pretty much none of the story's events needed to take place in the Symphonia universe, and the Symphonia characters had virtually nothing to do with the story at all. It's like they were making a new game and midway through they said, "**** it, they'll buy it if we slap some Symphonia on it." Then they showed how poorly developed the battle system was by not letting Symphonia characters even lv up, making Mystic artes easy as hell, and putting monsters on your team. I played that game twice and even beat Galdeshiem and I know it would have been so much better if they'd just made it its own game.

Top Bottom