• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It was first revealed like a month ago. I didn't post it since I thought no one cared for Tales games that have yet to be localized lol.
Tales of Innocence R is coming (but for Vita). It's just a remake, not a sequel, but with new content.
There's another Tales game (Tales of Kizna) but it's just a social mobile game but I'll mention it anyways.

Any Tales news can be found on abyssalchronicles, so that's a great place to check out.

I'm hoping to see more Tales games get localized. After hearing stuff like Graces F and even Ni no Kuni getting localized, I have hope for more RPGs to be brought over from Namco Bandai, but we'll see.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I don't like the idea of the Vita. I have problems moving my fingers right when they're not in view and I'm not really sure if anyone cares about the mobile games but I'm definitely interested in Heroes.
I'm not convinced yet but we'll see whether namco's localisation improves.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
It was first revealed like a month ago. I didn't post it since I thought no one cared for Tales games that have yet to be localized lol.
Tales of Innocence R is coming (but for Vita). It's just a remake, not a sequel, but with new content.
There's another Tales game (Tales of Kizna) but it's just a social mobile game but I'll mention it anyways.

Any Tales news can be found on abyssalchronicles, so that's a great place to check out.

I'm hoping to see more Tales games get localized. After hearing stuff like Graces F and even Ni no Kuni getting localized, I have hope for more RPGs to be brought over from Namco Bandai, but we'll see.
Xillia better get its *** over here.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Question: how would you people turn "Farewell to Spring" into an arte name? I'm thinking something like "Spring Requiem" but even that seems a little off.
Maybe "Season's End" but that doesn't seem very spring specific.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Question: how would you people turn "Farewell to Spring" into an arte name? I'm thinking something like "Spring Requiem" but even that seems a little off.
Maybe "Season's End" but that doesn't seem very spring specific.
Just type in "Farewell to Spring" in a translator and see whichever sounds coolest? I tried it on Google translator but nothing kewl enough showed up.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
You mean stick it into another language? Since the whole point was to translate "Arrivederci" into something that fits as a recurring arte (see how "Eclair de Larmes" became "Flash Tear"), that seems a little counterproductive.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Why can't they just leave it as Arrivederci?
It's not properly translated IMO and "Farewell" (the english) does not describe the spell in the least. Such foreign spells don't bother me as one offs but if they are to recur I want a proper name. One that both sums up the effect and meshes well with the original name (for example, "Eclair de Larmes" translates as "Tears of Light" and became "Flash Tear" but it would have been odd if Tear had that).

I have taken it upon myself to retranslate tales arts where required and in my opinion, Raven needs it more that anyone else. None of his physical moves sound anything like proper tech names.

Arrivederci is clearly a cherry blossom storm, which can mean only one thing in japanese: the end of spring. This is why it has to be "Farewell to Spring" but I just can't get it to sound right.

Also, what do you think of "Thunder Claw" as a more literal translation of what we currently call "Lightning Tiger Blade" (thus freeing up the name "Lightning Tiger Blade" to be used by the Tiger Blade extension currently known as "Lightning Tiger")?

EDIT: I do love "Inverno" though, since it's such a perfect fusion of two words and sums up the move brilliantly.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
That is one amazing teacher. I wish I had a teacher like that. =[
He's like the coolest teacher ever! He's a big fan of anime (He's probably worked on a few animes lol), plays many a video game, and swears just as much as I do.

Legit as ****.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I forgot to post this yesterday, so I'll do it now. Tales of Graces F is dated for March 13, 2012 in the US.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dP0XsM23j0
Namco hasn't really been advertising this game much, but I'm hoping it does really well. Graces was one of the better Tales games that's been recent.

This also gives the US a chance to play a Tales game that actually uses CC for it's battle system.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Yeah I saw this yesterday as well! I was going to post it here but I couldn't find the thread :( I'm so excited! And it's not even a long wait...like 3 months. Been itching to play a new Tales game for some time now. I've only played Symphonia, ToS:DotNW, Legendia, and Abyss. Graces is gonna be amazing.

Luckily I have Skyrim and Skyward Sword (which aren't nearly as good as Graces will be)n o keep me busy until then :awesome:

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I can't wait to try Graces ƒ.

I haven't played any of the games that utilize CC, so I'm extra hype. I'm not too sure of the quality/quantity of sidequests in the game, so it'll be fun to find out.

I hope they don't have a ton of DLC costumes and stuff...just include it in the game already ffs.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
There are both a ton of gimmicky costumes for DLC and a fair few for regular unlocking from what I've heard. Plus they like giving NA and Europe bonuses so I suspect we'll get a bit of the DLC stuck into the regular game.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I hope they don't have a ton of DLC costumes and stuff...just include it in the game already ffs.
I sure hope so. If not, I hope the DLC is more affordable since I'm not willing to spend like a 100 dollars just on costumes.
Also, it'd be neat if some of the anime related costumes come over here. I doubt it though since that'll have licensing issues.
Tales of Symphonia was the best Tales game.
I wouldn't say best Tales game. I can see people saying it's their favorite but best is subjective, haha.

Anyways, I got a real copy of Tales of Eternia (Destiny II) on the PS1. I'm tempted to buy Tales of Destiny PS1 along with the GBA version of Tales of Phantasia just for the sake of having almost all the Tales games that have been released here (I'm still missing Radiant Mythology).

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I sure hope so. If not, I hope the DLC is more affordable since I'm not willing to spend like a 100 dollars just on costumes.
Also, it'd be neat if some of the anime related costumes come over here. I doubt it though since that'll have licensing issues.

I wouldn't say best Tales game. I can see people saying it's their favorite but best is subjective, haha.

Anyways, I got a real copy of Tales of Eternia (Destiny II) on the PS1. I'm tempted to buy Tales of Destiny PS1 along with the GBA version of Tales of Phantasia just for the sake of having almost all the Tales games that have been released here (I'm still missing Radiant Mythology).
Symphonia was definitely my favourite...I'd also say best due to the fact that the battle system wasn't broken (no free run, no glory, etc), the music (by far some of the best in the Tales series), characters, etc.

Dude you should totally get the original Destiny. It'll cost a pretty penny, but it looks worth it. I wish I had Destiny 1 & 2 :(

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Anyways, I got a real copy of Tales of Eternia (Destiny II) on the PS1.
I have the unglitched PSP version. It was cheaper.

I'm tempted to buy Tales of Destiny PS1 along with the GBA version of Tales of Phantasia just for the sake of having almost all the Tales games that have been released here (I'm still missing Radiant Mythology).
Radi-myth is cheap. The others, not so much.
ToD PS1 isn't exactly the best of Tales games but I thoroughly enjoyed Phantasia GBA. Still, I'd buy ToD if it worked on my PS2.

Still working on my ToV issue...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sorry I meant my favorite. It was just so much fun.
Haha, yeah, I know. I was just teasing.
I have the unglitched PSP version. It was cheaper.
Yeah, I kinda wanted to get that. I got mine off of craigslist, so I couldn't help getting it since it was just a drive away.
Bright side is, I can do multiplayer at least (I wish all the PSP ports allowed multiplayer).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Well, I ended up buying Tales of Destiny (PS1) and also imported Tales of Xillia. While Destiny wasn't my favorite since everything before Eternia feels a bit too slow (along with the original Destiny being too easy), the game feels really nostalgic. I haven't played the original since middle school so it feels pretty fresh as well.

Xillia looks pretty for a Tales game, but it could still use some work. To be honest, I wasn't enjoying the battle system as much as Graces, but it's growing on me. It has CC but there's TP still. Learning new abilities in the game's pretty cool. It's similar to FFX and XII's Sphere Grid and License Board, so it's pretty addicting to just level grind. Just like Graces, there's no world map, but it's cool how this is the first Tales game where you can control the camera. It makes exploring seem more fun.

In other news, there are rumors that they'll be doing a remake for Tales of Hearts and Tales of the Tempest for the Vita.
I'm looking forward to it. Especially for Hearts.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Symphonia was definitely my favourite...I'd also say best due to the fact that the battle system wasn't broken (no free run, no glory, etc), the music (by far some of the best in the Tales series), characters, etc.

Dude you should totally get the original Destiny. It'll cost a pretty penny, but it looks worth it. I wish I had Destiny 1 & 2 :(
You could get glory for regal and presea and there was infinite combos with spell cancels.

But anyways graces is ps3 exclusive?

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
You could get glory for regal and presea and there was infinite combos with spell cancels.

But anyways graces is ps3 exclusive?
Yeah I know, I have Glory on Presea lol. Regal has better setups so I don't use Glory.

It's for the Wii and PS3 in Japan, and will be released in NA and Europe on PS3 only.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Pre-ordered Graces ƒ yesterday! Pre-order bonuses includes a Tales of Destiny costume pack and an XMB theme.

Erection.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Pre-ordered Graces ƒ yesterday! Pre-order bonuses includes a Tales of Destiny costume pack and an XMB theme.

Erection.
I preordered Graces F a couple days ago. I'm pretty happy that they're giving out a preorder bonus.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I don't preorder anything after the KoR fiasco.
What was that?

On a side note: Tales of Graces ƒ is featured on the EB Games page and is one of the most anticipated PS3 games! Only a month to go before I spend the entirety of the March break in my room.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't preorder anything after the KoR fiasco.
Not preordering doesn't help a franchise though. Preorders generally help sales since stores will try to get more in stock as the preorders go up.
What was that?

On a side note: Tales of Graces ƒ is featured on the EB Games page and is one of the most anticipated PS3 games! Only a month to go before I spend the entirety of the March break in my room.
I wasn't expecting that. That's really good to hear.

Top Bottom