• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I'm actually enjoying Lucas less than I did in Brawl. The nerfs to him make me very sad. :c

- F-Smash has WAY less Knockback.

- Oh god the Grabs (even pivot ones) are horrendous (weren't tether grabs supposed to be less laggy?)

- D-Tilt doesn't trip anymore (or at least there's an odd hitbox for it to do so).

- Fair has more lag and isn't safe on shield anymore.

- Nair hits only 6 times (unsure about the damage output).

- Hitbox on Uair is SO BAD (I don't get why it doesn't hit in the front like Ness).

- PK Freeze has to be released to explode on ground level (before it didn't).

- Magnet Pull & Zap Jump are gone (I thought the latter would at least still be in since Ness can still PK Jump) .

- His throws aren't as strong as they once were (but I get D-Throw is meant for combos).

- F-Tilt decreased Knockback even on sweetspot (to be fair I feel like most F-Tilts were since pivot F-Tils are possible now lol, look at Ness', Peach's and I think Ike's which could KO decently in Brawl)

- Magnet can't absorb from behind anymore. :/

==

I might just be looking into this too much and overlooking his potential though. =P

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Finally got to Dungeon Man. I'm SOOO glad that Poo is gone and the coffee cups and records are back (sarcastically). Though I AM glad that they're easier to beat this time. REVENGE!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I'm actually enjoying Lucas less than I did in Brawl. The nerfs to him make me very sad. :c

- F-Smash has WAY less Knockback.

- Oh god the Grabs (even pivot ones) are horrendous (weren't tether grabs supposed to be less laggy?)

- D-Tilt doesn't trip anymore (or at least there's an odd hitbox for it to do so).

- Fair has more lag and isn't safe on shield anymore.

- Nair hits only 6 times (unsure about the damage output).

- Hitbox on Uair is SO BAD (I don't get why it doesn't hit in the front like Ness).

- PK Freeze has to be released to explode on ground level (before it didn't).

- Magnet Pull & Zap Jump are gone (I thought the latter would at least still be in since Ness can still PK Jump) .

- His throws aren't as strong as they once were (but I get D-Throw is meant for combos).

- F-Tilt decreased Knockback even on sweetspot (to be fair I feel like most F-Tilts were since pivot F-Tils are possible now lol, look at Ness', Peach's and I think Ike's which could KO decently in Brawl)

- Magnet can't absorb from behind anymore. :/

==

I might just be looking into this too much and overlooking his potential though. =P
I still think his fsmash is one of the best in the game. It's still really strong for how fast it is, and reflects REALLY well.
Nair was changed to function more as an aerial combo move, and it works pretty well for that, especially after dthrow.
Hitbox on uair was always bad, but at least it can actually KO now.
PK Freeze got SO much less laggy now, and the only reason it gets swallowed by the ground is because it was given more horizontal and vertical range :)
I coulda sworn his throws were buffed. I swear, uthrow with rage is really scary. Fthrow and bthrow can kill close-ish to the ledges. And dthrow just got straight buffed.
Magnet does heal only on one side now, but it heals a LOT (2.5x!?)

His glitches and grab nerfs are what really make me sad.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wait what, you hate Poo? how come
No. I was being sarcastic in saying that I was glad he was gone. I know it's to learn something that will drastically help later on, but it's gonna be harder now moving on until he comes back. :/

D

Deleted member

Omg, I HATE Territorial Oak in Earthbound! He's a pain to fight and I absolutely can't stand it when he bursts into flames and drains your HP. I know I'm not too far in the game but he's one the worst enemies I fought up to this point.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Omg, I HATE Territorial Oak in Earthbound! He's a pain to fight and I absolutely can't stand it when he bursts into flames and drains your HP. I know I'm not too far in the game but he's one the worst enemies I fought up to this point.
Yup, he's a handful. When I first got Paula to join me, I went through about 2 battles and then one of those Territorial Oaks came up and just knocked her out. :(

But once you level up, the enemies in places like Onett and Twoson just get easier, sometimes to the point where you automatically win. Just keep going though. Compared to what I'm going through, you've got it easy. But even when you get as far as I have, the game isn't that bad. Really the only thing that might tip you off a bit is if you forget to do something, and need to backtrack.

Twoson is hard but once you get Paula and level her up a bit, you should be around ready for what's next.

Also, if you hate the Territorial Oak, try to stay away from the Smilin Spheres in the Desert between Threed and Fourside when you get there. They break into pieces and also drain your health.

Last edited:

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
Yup, he's a handful. When I first got Paula to join me, I went through about 2 battles and then one of those Territorial Oaks came up and just knocked her out. :(

But once you level up, the enemies in places like Onett and Twoson just get easier, sometimes to the point where you automatically win. Just keep going though. Compared to what I'm going through, you've got it easy. But even when you get as far as I have, the game isn't that bad. Really the only thing that might tip you off a bit is if you forget to do something, and need to backtrack.

Twoson is hard but once you get Paula and level her up a bit, you should be around ready for what's next.

Also, if you hate the Territorial Oak, try to stay away from the Smilin Spheres in the Desert between Threed and Fourside when you get there. They break into pieces and also drain your health.
The student has become the teacher.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The student has become the teacher.
Oh great. Lol.

Ya, guess I'm pretty much helping all the newcomers out now. :)

And honestly since this is the only one of my friend groups I know of that will actively talk about EarthBound, I'm glad to help out.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I haven't played EB since 2008, perhaps I should replay it again.
This is my first time going through EarthBound. I'm telling you now, do it. I'm probably going to come back to this game after a while, and I'll think "Man, this was FUN!". In fact, I might need to save my Wii U console for a while, so I can play it again when I get older. You can really connect with the characters in the game.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I love watching people's reactions go from "hey I've heard Earthbound is a really good game and I'd like to give it a go" without any prior experience of the game, then going to "guys I can't believe I'd been missing out on this game the whole time I need to spread this gospel". Brings a smile to my face. <3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I love watching people's reactions go from "hey I've heard Earthbound is a really good game and I'd like to give it a go" without any prior experience of the game, then going to "guys I can't believe I'd been missing out on this game the whole time I need to spread this gospel". Brings a smile to my face. <3
Pretty much me. But ya, once you start the game you can't put it down. I mean, the music got me into it, and from there it was pretty much get the game, try it out, since you'll probably like it. And even though I think I'm almost done, I'm pretty sure I've still got a loooong way to go. But like I said before, this will be a game I keep coming back to for a long time.

And who knows, maybe the same will go for EarthBound Beginnings.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Imagine Ness's mom having to divorce her husband because she wants something new and then Ness's dad is now a Samsung Galaxy S6
Happy Father's Day I guess. LOL!

I found a video that pretty much summarizes EarthBound and how it makes the player feel. Thought I'd share it.

Last edited:

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Do you guys ever try to use PK Flash? It seems like one of those veeeeery situational moves that you normally wouldn't ever use.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
In Smash: Usually as a mis-input when I try to use PK Fire.

In EarthBound: Only if Jeff approves (meaning the enemy has a weakness to it).

Last edited:

SuperTorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperTorn
I use it a lot for edge-guarding, I won a match recently because I put PK Flash on the edge and the guy waited too long for it to drop so he just SD'd out of fear

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I don't really see any reason to use PK Flash over PKT for edgeguarding, or just use PK Flash at all. Honestly somebody has to make a really bad mistake in order to actually get hit by it ever, if you're playing against decent people then it's something that'd happen once in a blue moon and even saying that is an understatement.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
uncharged PK flash does have some use in juggling situations, and very VERY rarely you might get a kill from it (I did in tournament the other day :grin: ) but for the most part PKT is just.... better. :p

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Is there one, single move that you guys feel doesn't have a practical use at all? I honestly don't. Also, in a tournament?!

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
MAYYBBEEEE Dair, but even then I'd occasionally use it if I'm trying to cover a getup (as a mixup).

Dtilt has tripping uses, Ftilt is fast and although I usually use other options, if I happen to Utilt an opponent then it tends to put me in a good position (Utilt is reasonably fast too).

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
If there's a single move that has no use, it's PK Flash.

I was a little hard on dtilt at first, it's got it's quick poke uses for interruptions, and the trip can be nice.
Dair is used for lag cancelling and cancelling the tumble animation, pretty much nothing else. Ironically, it's best use is using it NOT for the attack.

Last edited:

ilysm

sleepy
For some reason I stopped getting updates from this thread. Glad to see all the Earthbound love going around! That game was a blast, I think I'm going to replay the series sometime soon. Also, shoutouts to @ Earthbound360 Earthbound360 for his rad new animated signature that I didn't notice until now. ^_^

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yeah, that happens to me a lot. This thread moves so fast that it just doesn't notify you sometimes lol.

And thanks dude :)

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
That person you described is me lol.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Can we take a minute to say how cool noa's new avatar is? Really diggin the Bronzong man. Really detailed and nice. I sort of miss the ness one but this new one is way more crisp.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
*Breaks out old rusted Pokédex*

"Bronzong, the evolved form of Bronzor."

Man I used to love Pokémon. Bronzing is from the best region in Pokémon, and I've got his card. Geez...the trading card game was fun...

Good old memories...

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Man I noticed that some many prolific smashers that I look up to are from the tristate area. I'm very happy that the tristate is strong in smash. I want to eventually meet Nakat because that would be cool. I met Etika at a tournament in NYC at Nebulous so that was hype. There's also Nairo and many oher great smashers. In the summer I will be very busy going to tournaments so I may actually have tourney results and some of my matches may even be streamed. Hopefully one day I can be power ranked...

Last edited:

Noa.

Smash Master
Bronzong is my favorite Pokemon. He's so ****ing cool. He's a bell. It's so legit lol.

Like my top 3 Pokemon:

1. Bronzong
2. Chandelure
3. Aegislash

I basically love that cool, chic, inanimate object Pokemon.

My favorite types are steel and ghost for that very reason. <3

And thank you for complimenting my avatar. It took me like 30 minutes to make. It was fun lol.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
I figured M1 got released because of Earthbound's success. Though, I can't help but think I helped out a little to make it happen...
I mean, 2 VC games have now gotten released a couple months apart from doing Club Nintendo surveys. Stating how I wish that Game & Watch Gallery 3 and Mother 1 would get put on the eShop. Was it a mere coincidence?

Anyway, I got Earthbound Beginnings. I'm surprised it's not as difficult as I thought it would be....No more easy patch for me.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm kinda torturing myself by not starting on EarthBound Beginnings until I finish EarthBound. But, I'm currently in the Deep Darkness Swamps so...I don't think I've got too much longer to go, do I?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I'm kinda torturing myself by not starting on EarthBound Beginnings until I finish EarthBound. But, I'm currently in the Deep Darkness Swamps so...I don't think I've got too much longer to go, do I?
Like 2 more Guardians, a trip in another world and you'll be close to the end (with two nightmares as a bonus)

Top Bottom