• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Story of the Roy & Mewtwo Rumor, as well as the Brawl Roster Leak!

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
The essay was extremely informative and entertaining to read, and you did a great job organizing it all. However, two major things bother me about it:

1.) Why do people take Serebii's word as credible? From what I've seen, all they do is post vague claims, wait for something to be confirmed elsewhere, and then state that they knew it for months and weren't allowed to say anything. Anyone could do that.

2.) You don't really give any solid evidence that makes Tfox credible. All you really say is "he was right once, so he could be again".

Ever since the first Brawl trailer and the release of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, I've been saying that Diddy Kong, Lucario, and Sonic the Hedgehog had a 100% chance of being in Brawl. I also managed to call the confirmation of the Ice Climbers on the Dojo down to the exact day almost a week in advance. Did I have any sources? No, I just made educated guesses and was spot-on. But by your logic with Tfox, that would make me a 100% credible source.

However, I won't try to say that the Mewtwo and Roy rumor is completely fake. Something in the back of my head makes me believe it. Why? Well, neither of these characters are "holy fugging crap awesome" additions to the roster. It would be nice to have Mewtwo back, but I can live without him, and honestly, Roy is a nobody.

Now if it were a rumor saying Ridley and Geno are being added to the US release, it would easily be dismissed as fake.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
The essay was extremely informative and entertaining to read, and you did a great job organizing it all. However, two major things bother me about it:

1.) Why do people take Serebii's word as credible? From what I've seen, all they do is post vague claims, wait for something to be confirmed elsewhere, and then state that they knew it for months and weren't allowed to say anything. Anyone could do that.
Serebii has inside sources that give him info on pokemon stuff, although most of the time its corocoro.

2.) You don't really give any solid evidence that makes Tfox credible. All you really say is "he was right once, so he could be again".
Being right once usually is enough credibility to get you noticed for future leaks.

ElWesty!

Smash Rookie
Excellent thread, Chrono! Do you know by any chance what Advance Wars content he leaked? If it is pretty detailed that would probably support the rumor for atleast Roy's NA inclusion (due to his Intelligent Systems ownership)

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I got to say... Tfox is an Intelligent Systems leaker, so he wouldn't be reliable in terms of Mewtwo. However, Roy, being an Intelligent Systems character, is Tfox's domain.

Either way, it would be interesting if the Friday Dojo Update was "Game Modes: Downloadable Characters" showing off Roy being downloaded off of Wifi and then a "Playable Character: Roy" with Roy's profile who is unlocked by downloading him! =P

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I got to say... Tfox is an Intelligent Systems leaker, so he wouldn't be reliable in terms of Mewtwo. However, Roy, being an Intelligent Systems character, is Tfox's domain.
Which explains why he talked about Roy more and only mentioned Mewtwo as a side note, as ChronoBound mentioned.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016

Either way, it would be interesting if the Friday Dojo Update was "Game Modes: Downloadable Characters" showing off Roy being downloaded off of Wifi and then a "Playable Character: Roy" with Roy's profile who is unlocked by downloading him! =P
That may be for the JP version... since Roy and Mewtwo are gonna be Playable at the beggining in the US/PAL Version (NOTE: According to this, it' not a fact... yet).

But... meh, it could be, I want to know how Roy's design would be in Brawl, maybe like his Melee look or... more of his FE6 look?

BtCE

Smash Rookie
I believe him - I have my reasons. The question is whether he should believe his source or not. Tfox seems to be honest, so I'm going to go to bat for him right here and say he is being honest. What is questionable, and we should all question, is his source - whether he is correct or wrong. I don't believe that this is an issue of lieing or truth, just correct or faulty information.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I believe him - I have my reasons. The question is whether he should believe his source or not. Tfox seems to be honest, so I'm going to go to bat for him right here and say he is being honest. What is questionable, and we should all question, is his source - whether he is correct or wrong. I don't believe that this is an issue of lieing or truth, just correct or faulty information.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have just realized the goal of this thing, and one of the reasons CB wrote the essay in question. I wholeheartedly agree. CB and TFox are just the messengers of what they have heard. If we're going to hate on anyone of we've been fooled, it's the anonymous source. Unless of course, TFox comes out and says he was yanking our chain, then we can lynch him. :chuckle:

ConeZone

Smash Ace
we all believed random sources like this about 48 man rosters and certain people being in the game, why is everyone jumping on board now

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I prefer the Melee look for Roy. It's more ornate and decorative...his FE6 stuff is a little bland, so they added some flare for Melee.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
ROB is also a trophy that can be collected in the SSE with the trophy stand.

Mmmhmmm.
I'd like to disprove this now...

R.O.B. and the R.O.B. Squad use completely different models and don't have the same attacks.

They technically only LOOK kinda similar...

skiks

Smash Cadet

Because some people are informed of what said person knows but doesn't tell anyone because it would Ruin Serebii's rep for keeping secrets.
*whistles*

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
Roy was in Melee first... then FE6.
Be that as it may...his character design was done before Melee was out if the theory of his placement for advertising is correct. Therefore one could say that the flare was added for Melee.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
bam thats one of the best things iv read on this thread, even if you don't believe this rumor.

kingjoekur

Smash Apprentice

maybe serebii is some sort of pokemon god among gods, but in the smash world, hes done nothing for us........ i wish i would have stopped hearing his name after the roster came out, but i guess he got u all to believe he is in some way above the rest of us. let me tell u he is not, the almightserebii, is nothing but an attention craving waste of our time.

o and by the way i know everything about this game, everything but i cant tell anyone. im the almightyserebii........ stop talking about him, his reign of attention is over.

spindash

Smash Ace
To further clarify, I actually interviewed tfox last night. I made a topic at GameFAQs about it, here is the link. tfox came off as being honest, so if this proves to be false, I don't think he is to blame, but rather his source is.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41505512
A thought had just occurred to me. ^^ I want this to be true, and yes, I am leaning towards it happening (Roy and Mewtwo are so awesome).

Most leakers can't reveal who their sources are because of the trouble that may stir when names are given. However! I don't think it would be asking too much if tFox knew if this new source has revealed/been correct about previous information before. Instead of this being some new miscellanious source. All we need is information on what games this source HAS leaked before in the past (if any) so that we may establish some more solid ground on this juicy bit of information.

It's worth a shot! You there, BtCE! You're a fine fellow, you wouldn't mind asking him about this from Spin-Dash, would you? I'm not suspicious, but what better way to pass the time until this game comes out!

Or ChronoBound, or anyone in contact with tFox. I think it would be a good step forward if we knew what kind of information the source has leaked previously.

[EDIT] Oh, DUR! My bad! So they've revealed information before in regards to Intelligent Systems. I read the GameFAQS interview just now. Forget what I just said, unless you might ask about specific games they have leaked about. ^^

spindash

Smash Ace
hey, im new here but i've been following this rumor for a while now and i think i know a way to put marth and mewtwo in. although its shoddily made, it does show its possible.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa245/_Juicy__/SSBBFakegood.png

tell me if the link doesnt work
Welcome to the party! ^^

And while fake? That's crazy. ... So crazy it just might work!!! There's more then enough room for more on the list, and the way it's ordered about it looks like it could very well be plausible. Good show, good show.

•Col•

Smash Champion
A thought had just occurred to me. ^^ I want this to be true, and yes, I am leaning towards it happening (Roy and Mewtwo are so awesome).

Most leakers can't reveal who their sources are because of the trouble that may stir when names are given. However! I don't think it would be asking too much if tFox knew if this new source has revealed/been correct about previous information before. Instead of this being some new miscellanious source. All we need is information on what games this source HAS leaked before in the past (if any) so that we may establish some more solid ground on this juicy bit of information.

It's worth a shot! You there, BtCE! You're a fine fellow, you wouldn't mind asking him about this from Spin-Dash, would you? I'm not suspicious, but what better way to pass the time until this game comes out!

Or ChronoBound, or anyone in contact with tFox. I think it would be a good step forward if we knew what kind of information the source has leaked previously.

[EDIT] Oh, DUR! My bad! So they've revealed information before in regards to Intelligent Systems. I read the GameFAQS interview just now. Forget what I just said, unless you might ask about specific games they have leaked about. ^^
I heard that he revealed info. about Advance Wars: Days of Ruin that turned out to be true... So he probably got this info from the same source, although, maybe not. Who knows... >.>

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
hey, im new here but i've been following this rumor for a while now and i think i know a way to put marth and mewtwo in. although its shoddily made, it does show its possible.

Roy and Mewtwo fit according to where they should be placed, but two things wrong: 1) the design doesn't look too professional, the way Nintendo will obviously make it, and 2) the character's images themselves are smaller in your image to accommodate for the extra two in the bottom rows, it looks like. But, it was good thinking.

But the layout would be more like Melee's, like:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

But that would take a lot of rearranging to fit character with their games. If anything, they would have their own menu screen, like the Melee stages, where other DLC characters could potentially be later. After all, if this rumor IS true, then Japan will get them DLC for sure, so they'll have that menu themselves.

Still, I'm not sold on this rumor, just speculating on how true it could actually be.

::EDIT::

My diagram thing looked a lot better when I typed it, when it's submitted it looks weird; the spaces at the beginning of lines disappear. Oh well, you get the picture. 10 in the top two rows, 9 in the others, all centered.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Welcome to the party! ^^

And while fake? That's crazy. ... So crazy it just might work!!! There's more then enough room for more on the list, and the way it's ordered about it looks like it could very well be plausible. Good show, good show.
Yeah, I said this a long time ago. In fact, I even made a rendition that shows they could even fit 55 characters with the current selection screen...

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Yeah, I said this a long time ago. In fact, I even made a rendition that shows they could even fit 55 characters with the current selection screen...

Am I the only one in the world that thinks that would be way too many? I mean, I was still pushing for 40, but 55? We'd just have about 15 or 20 clones, and way too many characters to use. I like trying to get good with almost everyone, then have a few as my mains. 55? That would be unbearable!

Quality over quantity. I'm content with 35.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Am I the only one in the world that thinks that would be way too many? I mean, I was still pushing for 40, but 55? We'd just have about 15 or 20 clones, and way too many characters to use. I like trying to get good with almost everyone, then have a few as my mains. 55? That would be unbearable!

Quality over quantity. I'm content with 35.
First of all, that wasn't an ideal. That was just showing how many you could fit, following up that I said I've already explored realizing that you can fit more on there.

Second, quality over quantity? rofl. Have you forgotten we've already gotten clones in? have you forgotten that questionable character inclusions and exclusions were already made? I don't want that many either (40 w/o transformations is just fine), but still remember that that little statement doesn't quite stand.

Hey, I fixed your picture by filling in the remaining two slots:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
First of all, that wasn't an ideal. That was just showing how many you could fit, following up that I said I've already explored realizing that you can fit more on there.

Second, quality over quantity? rofl. Have you forgotten we've already gotten clones in? have you forgotten that questionable character inclusions and exclusions were already made? I don't want that many either (40 w/o transformations is just fine), but still remember that that little statement doesn't quite stand.
Yes, quality over quantity. The term "clone" is way too overused. Dr. Mario and Mario were clones. They played way too similarly. Same goes with basically all Melee clones. Brawl "clones" have similar LOOKING movesets, but are, in fact, far more different than their counterparts than the same clones were in Melee. And there will always, ALWAYS be "questionable character inclusions and exclusions", even if we had 55, because it's a fan-driven game. We could get 100 characters in and there would still be people whining that someone like Saria or General Pepper didn't get in. 35 is lot, a lot of characters to fit into the disc, a lot of characters to learn and master, and a lot of different characters from different games. Yes, quality over quantity.

I would type more, but I've already fairly addressed this with a wall of text, so if you care about my opinion, here it is.
^click the little arrow thing to see it^

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Hey, I fixed your picture by filling in the remaining two slots:
ROFL. "Too big" jokes will never get old, especially when applied in new ways like this.

On a serious note, I think 55 is way over the top and would be virtually impossible without clones. Though, 35 isn't nearly enough characters, either (aside from the fact that the final roster completely avoids everything Sakurai promised, like new females, villains (REAL villains, not this anti-hero and rival crap) and no clones).

I threw together a roster mock-up a few weeks ago, without removing anyone and tossing in a full new row and column to the roster screen, which still brings us to an acceptable 49 characters. I also came up with acceptable character choices to fill all of those slots (including a few new clones, because I believe if they were going to give up on remaking the old clones, they should've at least given us new ones), but I don't remember a lot of them off the top of my head. This also isn't the place to discuss it.

However, I think, if DLC is at all realistic, that 49 would be a good final roster number for them to aim for.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
One thing still stuck. Even though Shadow Light Master turned 360 degrees, he still believed TFox for 90%?

Zevox

Smash Lord
It just occurred to me, there's no way Pokemon would get more reps than Mario.
Depending on how you look at it, both it and Zelda already do. Remember that Pokèmon Trainer effectively is three different characters - Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard - and that Zelda and Sheik, while sharing a spot on the select screen, are two different characters in their own right. As-is, most accurately, Mario has 4 characters, Zelda 5, and Pokèmon 6.

Zevox

Top Bottom