• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Story of the Roy & Mewtwo Rumor, as well as the Brawl Roster Leak!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Let me begin with this, I am sorry I caused all of this chaos on this board. I should have never have pursued Tfox and asked him to share his info and creditability with me. By giving my stamp of belief upon his statements, everyone else blindly followed suit that he was indeed telling the truth. As a result of my curiosity and reputation, both GameFAQs and SmashBoards have erupted into war.

I pursued to seek out his credences due to the same circumstances that happened to NyaseNya, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR. All three were flamed and modded, despite in the end having accurate info. ShadowXOR, actually first posted the news of R.O.B. being in Brawl, in the SmashBoards version of my ULTIMATE Analysis topic. Besides myself, Zevox, and one other user, everyone else dismissed him as being fake. Being desperate to learn the contents of Brawl's roster, I sent a PM to him asking him to disclose everything he knew about Brawl.

In the PM, he told me that he himself did not play Brawl but knew friends that did. He also said that the demo that his friends play tested did not contain all the characters that were even on the Dojo. He said that the only characters that were not on the Dojo that his friends saw were Captain Falcon, Ness, Marth, and R.O.B. R.O.B. was hard to believe, but I believed him anyway due to sincerity of his language. Upon learning of the inclusion of Marth and R.O.B., I came to the conclusion that I knew the entire roster. However, I very much hoped it was wrong. I took a lot of heat for believing ROB as a playable character and for believing ShadowXOR despite him being a relative nobody. By then a lot of NyaseNya's and ChaosZero's statements had already came true.

I continued to stick by Shadow, even when there were things coming out that his statements were false such as BrawlCentral's bogus translation of Ness being cut. He sent me more PMs and said that he pressed his friends further on their impressions, they were sure that they were playing as Ness and ROB. He generally seemed like a person whom was telling the truth, but if turned out that his statements were wrong would not be his fault, but his friends.

Anyway, NyaseNya, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR all were proven right when the Brawl was finally proven to be true at the beginning of the final week in January.

After Brawl's roster was unveiled there was little left to do on these forums, especially SmashBoards. All roster speculation was over. I posted a huge piece on my thoughts on the roster and intended that to be my Swan Song. However, there was one thing that has made me stick around, and that was how some of the things that were claimed in the demos, did not appear in the final game.

I posted a topic of this info, and eventually learned of the Forbidden 7 (which was actually coined by myself, however, I derived it from the term used for the four NES games in AC that can only be acquired from an Action Replay). This increased my interest even more of Brawl's cut content. Eventually, a list of the missing tracks would be found, which confirmed that Mewtwo and Roy were farther along than initially thought. Upon searching through Brawl's files, I found one file that was likely of Mewtwo's classic mode image.

This was very strange. I never was a believer of download content, however, I did hope Sakurai would at least clarify what happened to the Forbidden 7, either in his GDC speech, his site, or post-release e-mail bag (much like the one of the Japanese Melee site).

While I was browsing through these forums, I came upon a topic of Tfox claiming that Mewtwo and Roy were being added to the North American version of Brawl. In it, he claimed that Mewtwo & Roy were being added to the North American version and would be in the PAL version as well. However, the two would be DLC for Japan. Many people attacked him much like NyaseNya, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR. There was one particular user, Shadow Light Master, who kept saying he was a fraud and that DLC would not work. However, after getting off of a AIM conversation with him, he did a complete 360 in his opinion of Tfox’s statements, going as far to say that he 90% believed him. He even started to defend Tfox. However, the topic was eventually deleted by a moderator. Tfox then opened up another topic saying the same info as the original topic but brought up ChaosZero, saying that the same circumstance happened to him in which nobody believed him despite in the end being true. This topic was then locked by a moderator.

This all stuck in my mind, particularly Shadow Light Master’s turn around. I then decided to make a topic addressing Tfox to share his info with me. It took about an hour before he finally noticed my topic. Initially, it was Shadow Light Master who noticed my topic, and he said that Tfox did not wish to post the info again because he did not want to be flamed again. I then said that I had no desires to flame him and instead wished to hear him out. They then told me get on to AIM. However, I replied saying that I do not have AIM, and instead told Tfox that I sent him an e-mail with questions about his inside information. My topic addressing Tfox, eventually got modded as being off-topic.

I then decided to make a post in my “Cut” content topic addressing Tfox. He then told me that he sent an e-mail. I read the contents of the e-mail, and he sounded sincere and truthful He shared with me his credentials, his info, and his source. He said that in the e-mail about the download characters, that his source mostly talked about Roy, and that Mewtwo was just a side comment. His source is someone that localizes IS games.

His language and info sounded very believable and truthful. I posted back in the cut content thread, and I said that he sounds very believable and I believe him. After that, everyone jumped on board as it being fact. However, I was being cautious with his statements and personally was waiting until Sakurai’s GDC speech. Though, I still believed him.

Everyone went crazy. Someone brought up my name (Snakey), in a topic on SmashBoards about the cut music tracks, I then responded with my SmashBoards account (ChronoBound). I said that I did hear from a reliable source that Mewtwo and Roy were being added to the North American version of Brawl.

Shadow Light Master then sent a PM to me saying that he wanted some credit in the rumor, for at least being the first one to take Tfox seriously. He said that a “little guy” like him would like it if he got to share a little bit of the spotlight that a “legendary” like me gets, and would like to go down in Brawl leak history. This confirmed to me that Shadow Light Master was not in some sort of ploy with Tfox. I then agreed that if Sakurai made a speech mentioning DLC characters, that I would make a topic detailing all the info I was told by Tfox and be sure to mention Shadow Light Master in it.

However, this did not come to pass. Another SmashBoards user, tirkaro, already posted a topic with my comments. The topic caught on like wildfire. Many people thought it to be true due to my name being on the rumor, while others disbelieved it strongly, and somehow it came to Marth and Lucario getting cut out of the game, despite neither me or Tfox mentioning it.

I decided to post everything that Tfox told me in order to quell the fires that were everyone’s curiosity. However, this was still not enough. Pretty soon GameFAQs exploded with Mewtwo & Roy returning topics. It was now out of control. I then decided to make a new topic about Brawl’s cut content on GameFAQs. This controlled some of the chaos on GameFAQs. However, it would soon get worse.

Tfox would post another topic about his information. He publicly addressed many of the grievances people had with his information in it. However, soon LadyCelebi, one of Serebii’s top mods, came out and said that Mewtwo and Plusle & Minun were not playable characters in Brawl. This created further friction between the believers and nonbelievers on GameFAQs. Pretty soon more flame wars broke out. Tfox continued to address concerns in his new topic, and even said that he would press his source more in the event that Sakurai did not mention DLC in his speech at the GDC on Friday. Even myself had a hard time believing Tfox now.

Also, according to several posters, Tfox had a reputation of flaming and deriding Days of Ruin. Also, his SmashBoards account made a topic and several messages trying to disprove the 35-characters roster. Surely, an insider would know about the 35-character roster.

This is where I throw everything you knew about the “prophets” (NyaseNya, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR), and blow it all away. I will start with ChaosZero. ChaosZero, the user who told us about Wolf, Falco, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Sheik still being a Zelda transformation, Lucario replacing Mewtwo, and the Dragoon item; had seriously doubts of the roster only consisting of 35-characters and even said that it did not sound right and seemed too low.

Also, even the play-testers were not playing with a complete game. ShadowXOR told me that the demos that the play-testers inside NOA were playing with did not even have all the characters on the Dojo. Therefore, many people with inside sources, could not have known about the 35-character roster. ShadowXOR was also quite playful, much like Tfox when he first posted his information about Mewtwo & Roy being in the North American version of Brawl. Here is a link to ShadowXOR’s first topic with the R.O.B. information:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=129695

The character his riddle is referring to is obviously R.O.B.

However, where does this leave NyaseNya? NyaseNya was the first one to post that Brawl had a 35-character roster, and also mentioned that Toon Link, Captain Olimar, Ness, and Mr. Game & Watch would be playable characters. Other things he confirmed were the second delay and that Brawl was on dual-layer disk. He also said that Mega Man is definitely not in the game, and that Ridley was likely a boss and nothing else. However, what you all don’t know is NyaseNya’s past posting history.

NyaseNya has an obsession about Peach, specifically, Peach’s buttocks. Here are some of the topics in which NyaseNya has made dedicated to Peach’s physique and even specifically her buttocks:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=7132
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=9547
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=45067
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=105047
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=113814

Now to my GameFAQs audience, many of you know a user named Sybb. Sybb was joke poster who would constantly make topics about Peach’s buttocks. However, the coincidence does not end there, both posters claim to be from Sweden. So Sybb could most likely have been NyaseNya, the leaker of leakers!

NyaseNya also made comments about Zero Suit Samus’s buttocks, and even made several posts trolling Mega Man. NyaseNya even claimed that Peach originally wore a tiny mini-skirt and a thong early on in Brawl’s development:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=119856

Even in NyaseNya’s leak topics about serious matters, he seemed to be avoiding people’s questions about his sources and even specific questions about certain characters. The fact that he would never answer anyone’s Personal Messages and would not log in for long periods of time after making these topics sure did not help his creditability.

As you can clearly see, we cannot judge Tfox based off of his past record. If a joke poster such as Sybb can be the king of insiders, then I am sure someone who is disgruntled with the direction that Advance Wars took with Days of Ruin can also be one.

That also brings me to Serebii’s comments that Mewtwo is not in the game. Serebii said that he only knows about Pokemon related info in Brawl, whereas Tfox claims to have only known about Intelligent Systems related info in the game (Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario). It is very well possible that despite having an insider, Tfox did not know about the 35-character roster, due to only receiving info about IS-series content. Roy might be the only one making it to the North American release, with Mewtwo becoming DLC for NA as well. Serebii has only said Mewtwo is not in Brawl, and does not know about Roy. Roy being a clone of Marth, might have been easier for them to complete than Mewtwo, who is a non-clone character.

I am not sure whether Tfox is telling the truth or not, however, from the language of the messages that he has sent me I am inclined to believe that he is telling the truth, and that he is probably only receiving faulty information if it turns out that there are no DLC characters. I say we wait until Sakurai’s speech this Friday before completing casting off this rumor as false.

If in the event that it does turn out that Tfox was a liar or that he was receiving faulty information, please do not flame me and please understand that I am only human and I myself can become prone to mistakes in judgement. If the event that he is telling the truth, we will all rejoice that we will be receiving two more characters in Brawl.

This concludes my thoughts and my story on the Mewtwo & Roy rumor, and I hope that you all learned a lot from this essay. Regardless of whether or not Sakurai will mention DLC in his speech this Friday, I am very interested in learning of Sakurai’s decision-making and effort in crafting together the roster we have. I hope you all forgive me if the rumor is wrong, and not worship me if it turns out to be correct. I only merely wish for simple respect, and for the chaos rumor has caused to be put behind us. Thank you for your time in reading this, and I wish for all of you to enjoy Brawl.

Sincerely,
ChronoBound/Snakey

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I read this on GameFAQs..even though my bloody account is still suspended..very good essay indeed o_o

Yes, but Mewtwo is a Coin Launcher trophy. The playable character trophies are unlocked through Classic and All-Star mode. I would think that Sakurai wouldn't have included Mewtwo as a CL trophy if he had planned to make him DLC.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Yes, but Mewtwo is a Coin Launcher trophy. The playable character trophies are unlocked through Classic and All-Star mode. I would think that Sakurai wouldn't have included Mewtwo as a CL trophy if he had planned to make him DLC.
Oh yeah, that DEFINITELY proves it wrong. DEFINITELY!

The Qu

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo's trophy is actually unlocked throgh the Challange Board, tho I have no idea how.
Doubtfull as it is, I hope Mewtwo is in somehow. Although I don't really care about Roy. Wouldn't care to have him in tho.

Challenges or Coin Launcher, it doesn't matter. A character trophy is always unlocked through Classic and All-Star mode. This rumor is not true.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I was expecting something of actual substance in regards to the situation. I'm kinda disappointed with this thread.

So far, this rumor still has no actual proof behind it. Just some guy claiming that he has sources and what not.

Machete

Smash Ace
Challenges or Coin Launcher, it doesn't matter. A character trophy is always unlocked through Classic and All-Star mode. This rumor is not true.
I'm the only one who remember the "ZOMG R.O.B.=Enemy in SSE R.O.B.'s trophy=Trophy Stand ZOMG 35 character roster deconfirmed!"?

I don't believe this rumor. But your argument is pretty weak.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The point of this thread is to keep an open-mind, did the Brawl roster leak teach us anything?

sv3

Smash Apprentice
Kind of a useless essay. Half of it is talking about why he and other people decided to post things they probably shouldn't have. The second half can just be summarized with this part:

"As you can clearly see, we cannot judge Tfox based off of his past record. If a joke poster such as Sybb can be the king of insiders, then I am sure someone who is disgruntled with the direction that Advance Wars took with Days of Ruin can also be one."

That's some pretty groundbreaking stuff right there, lol. Taking the neutral ground is the smart thing to do, though. You win if you're right, and you don't really lose if you're wrong. That's basically what this post is trying to do. It doesn't state anything new or interesting about the possibility of Mewtwo and Roy in Brawl.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
chronobound, i think everyone understands your just relaying an interesting rumor andn ot responsible for it.

i agree tfox isn't flat out lying tho if he's wrong then his source is the one lying, but tfox has reason to beleive his source is truthful.

serebi and company saying this is false is probably the biggest blow to the rumor.

the FACT that even most leakers thoguht 35 is to low along with teh fact that information for mewtwo roy (forbidden 7 ect...) is on the brawl disc is probably the BEST hope for this rumor.

so we'll just have to wait and see, the characters being added are not amazing but a heftier roster would be nice.

i excitedly await the GDC Conference.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Rumor- an unverified account or explanation of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern

Just thought everyone needed a reminder

PXG

Smash Journeyman
That is some heavy stuff there. Still, I am not going to believe Roy and Mewtwo are in Brawl, until there is solid evidence. I want to believe, but I don't want to get my hopes up too much.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
ok this is a thread that chronobound thought out and want's a real discussion of, so stop all the it's fake cause i know the RULES of how characters can and can't get in.

instead lets have a REAL discussion of the probability of the rumor.

honestly the 35 character roster should prov that these things are worth debating and following!

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I too hope the rumor turns out to be true. If it doesn't happen I won't be mad or anything, but if it does it can only make the game better.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
Before this devolves into a mindless flamewar, I'd just like to point out that despite the fact that the 35 roster turned out to be true, it still never had any evidence to back it up.

espio87

Smash Ace
maybe because he heard of Roy returning he deduced that Mewtwo was returning as well because he was an original character from melee.
anyway, thanks for this essay. again, I'll believe Roy and Mewtwo are back once I see them (and I hope they do)

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I was expecting something of actual substance in regards to the situation. I'm kinda disappointed with this thread.

So far, this rumor still has no actual proof behind it. Just some guy claiming that he has sources and what not.
you know what mookie, i used to have a lot of respect for you, but with that one statement you just lost it all. your no better then the noobs on this forum.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
if either of them were to be included i would hope it would be Mewtwo, why would they go out of their way to add another clone?

But either way good post

sv3

Smash Apprentice
you know what mookie, i used to have a lot of respect for you, but with that one statement you just lost it all. your no better then the noobs on this forum.
lol, are you trying to be sarcastic? This guy overhyped his own essay, and then stated nothing of real importance to the topic that everyone is interested in (The Roy/Mewtwo + DLC rumors). Then he just wrote either stuff we already know (even though most people didn't know the NyaseNase part, it still led to the final point which is something any idiot should have known already), or told a story about random crap.

That's not my point. If you were Sakurai, why would you give a playable character a Challenge Mode trophy when all of the other PCs have their own special character trophies? It doesn't make sense.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
lol, are you trying to be sarcastic? This guy overhyped his own essay, and then stated nothing of real importance to the topic that everyone is interested in (The Roy/Mewtwo + DLC rumors). Then he just wrote either stuff we already know (even though most people didn't know the NyaseNase part, it still led to the final point which is something any idiot should have known already), or told a story about random crap.
then you really didn't get the point of the essay.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Many people on GameFAQs are shocked about the stuff I wrote about NyaseNya. Also, the part where even the play-testers did not have a full-game should also be something pretty shocking.

I am sorry if you were expecting concrete evidence supporting or denying the Roy & Mewtwo rumor. I even said that my essay would likely not be able to do that when I first mentioned the shocking details.

Also, the essay was to show that anyone can be a leaker, and how even the "prophets" did not know everything, and to keep an open-mind.

Edit: Beaten by joeysmash.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
That's not my point. If you were Sakurai, why would you give a playable character a Challenge Mode trophy when all of the other PCs have their own special character trophies? It doesn't make sense.
did you even read my post when you commented back to me.... DID YOU!!!!

no you didn't

ill reword it here, You MIGHT be able to download the trophies WITH the character....\

you people don't think do you, you just talk.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
If you lost respect for me because I question a rumor and I make a post about how this thread is superfluous then you really need to rethink a few things. This thread has done nothing for the argument. It's like religious people talking about personal experiences. It's not proof, thusly the rumor isn't any more validated than it was just because we know the story behind it.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Funnily enough, I actually did have a brief exchange with NyaseNya, and he didn't fail to mention Peach's buttocks. :laugh: At first I didn't even notice what he was pointing out, but it was amusing nonetheless.

I'm not bashing you or anything, but I do agree with posters like Mookie and sv3. The way in which you alluded to the information contained herein made it sound far more consequential than a mere "retelling" of this whole debacle. It was well constructed, though--I read every word, don't worry.

But, for those too lazy to actually read this behemoth, the crux is this: this new "leak" is still possible. No proof exists, but the leaker has a fairly notable track record in his respective community, and there may still be a chance that this is legit.

Top Bottom