• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I don't understand why it would be that strong of a mind-game though. Most characters can just shield grab you or aerial you right? So... wouldn't they just be like ok whatever, you die now.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Why would I get angry? Where's this video? Post it up.
I haven't upload it yet... I'll do it tomorrow. I let you know and post the link here for you... And I just finished a tutorial: "How to Dair with Sonic" LOL, maybe people find it useful

It's actually kinda old. But thanks.
Well, at least is new for me! :laugh:
I like it more... The girl is cute but Link is Link! (cool guy)

Browny

Smash Hater
I can pretty much confirm sonics usmash has invincibility frames. he doesnt take any damage from a c4 stuck to him + detonated or an ike fsmash in the frames of him jumping up.

also, yesterday i saw his f-air cancel out snakes usmash. recreating it is difficult, but my brother saw it too, I wasnt imagining things :)

Tenki

Smash Hero
^ yeah, it does have invincibility frames, but I still have no idea exactly when.

My test/"giveaway situation" was different.

Homing attack doesn't home in on invincibility/dodge frames. I've played some Sonic dittos where I'd do a U-smash nearby another Sonic trying to catch his HA, but instead it would just fly at a 45 degree angle.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I dunno, I think it must be at the start of the up-smash then because I've been owned by that by aerials so many times that I hardly use it anymore.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, invincibility/dodge frames on the U-smash would explain the seemingly high priority that it has sometimes, since it turns Sonic, temporarily, into a pure attackbox during some point in the attack.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Tenki, Izzy once suggested that it might just be weird hitbox placement and I agree. Personally I'm inclined to believe that the hitbox is higher so the aerials are able to eat through it but not attacks from below.

Tenki

Smash Hero
But then why would Homing Attack just launch as though it had no target? :/

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Fluke?
People being ********/out-of-range?

Who knows. I demand to see video evidence of someone eating an attack with Sonic's u-smash before I believe any of this hype.

Browny

Smash Hater
what do you mean? its quite easy to test for yourself in training mode. especially against something as slow as ikes fsmash. timing of the c4 though is tricky, even in 1/4 speed.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Now that yu mention it, I think I may have replays of my Usmash totally eating Tinks Dair, and some other aerials I can't remember.

I square, Sonic has invincibility frames hidden like, everywhere. I bet he prolly has some stuck in his shoes or soemthing.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
hello *feels weird being the new guy*
i like how you gimp in your vids athinus, i edge guard like that to except's most of the time it's with fair.
*gets back on topic*
does anyone use the spin-shot effectively anymore, i never see it being used these days.

p.s there wouldn't happen to be a really loud guy/jerk named _X_ here would there?
I tend to use ASC>Spin shot as a suprise gimp attempt, but mostly to fly behind campers and bair them. I also use as an escape move.

Tenki

Smash Hero
How the heck do you do an ASC> Spinshot?

ASC > hit floor > spinshot?

because otherwise, wouldn't you be losing your double jump? ._.;

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Not that it's useful, it's kinda bad actually, but I think you can't instant edgehog right after doing an attack from the edge or just pressing forward to get back to the stage.

Can someone confirm this?

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Not that it's useful, it's kinda bad actually, but I think you can't instant edgehog right after doing an attack from the edge or just pressing forward to get back to the stage.

Can someone confirm this?
well, you have to press forward the edge to grab it after a w-edge attack. You can stage spike with a "w-edge fair" or if they DI out it Bair and stage spike them (then Up B, duh). Is useful, you have to get used to it.

I have a question and something I'm testing to share... question first: D-Smash have IASA frames? In the moment Sonic put the feet on floor you can do whatever you want (shiled, jump, ftilt, HA, another D-Smash, etc...). If you time a lot of D-Smashes it looks like Sonics don't leave his ball from LOL...
Testing stuff: If the opponent isn't hit by the sweetspot of a SH fair, you can use an uair (you get a bit of lag after the utilt when Sonic hits ground with his head) and combo after it with utilt or with another fair, this works at high % (difficult but very possible).

dark_Illusion_hokage

Smash Apprentice
I can pretty much confirm sonics usmash has invincibility frames. he doesnt take any damage from a c4 stuck to him + detonated or an ike fsmash in the frames of him jumping up.

also, yesterday i saw his f-air cancel out snakes usmash. recreating it is difficult, but my brother saw it too, I wasnt imagining things :)
Today i sj'd off the stage and fair'd a metaknight in tornado form, i didn't think his fair had that much priority but it ended up killing him, my sonic has been playing a bit weird lately anyways xP

Edit: would this happen to just be the sweet spot? unless fair out of spin-dash has a bit more priority.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I have a question and something I'm testing to share... question first: D-Smash have IASA frames? In the moment Sonic put the feet on floor you can do whatever you want (shiled, jump, ftilt, HA, another D-Smash, etc...). If you time a lot of D-Smashes it looks like Sonics don't leave his ball from LOL...
Testing stuff: If the opponent isn't hit by the sweetspot of a SH fair, you can use an uair (you get a bit of lag after the utilt when Sonic hits ground with his head) and combo after it with utilt or with another fair, this works at high % (difficult but very possible).
I'm confused. But if you mean using a non-cancelled F-air/U-air to combo into another move, yeah, it's possible. I'll look into the iasa thing.

Today i sj'd off the stage and fair'd a metaknight in tornado form, i didn't think his fair had that much priority but it ended up killing him, my sonic has been playing a bit weird lately anyways xP

Edit: would this happen to just be the sweet spot? unless fair out of spin-dash has a bit more priority.
Yeah, F-air can break tornado sometimes. I've only done it once as far as I can remember :l

Also, yes, you can break mortars with F-air too. I think the only aerials that I haven't broken mortars with are U-air and B-air, and it might just be placement problems.

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I had a completely baseless idea that priority and power and stuff MIGHT be affected by velocity.

I don't remember WHY I thought of it. Just thought I'd mention it.

Hey Tenki. While your on. Do you think it's possible to just grab Snake out of Snakedash? That would be funny. XD

Tenki

Smash Hero
I had a completely baseless idea that priority and power and stuff MIGHT be affected by velocity.

Hey Tenki. While your on. Do you think it's possible to just grab Snake out of Snakedash? That would be funny. XD
1- no
2- yes

now, you have to figure out which ones I'm saying yes and no to.

just kidding.
Only velocity-based thing I can think of is the ASC damage.

Though... I have broken through MK Tornados and Side-B's with full charged SDR's while they moved towards me. My reasoning behind it is that after one of the 'clang' hits, there's a moment where there's no attack box on either side (like when you hit a shield with N-air and then it loses its attack box), and in that small window, you move yourself inside their hurtbox and it reactivates the hitbox, making it look like you outprioritized the other attack altogether.

if you wanna grab Snake out of the mortar slam/dash attack, face the opposite direction, shield the mortar slam (slows him down) and then grab when he passes you. Otherwise, you can space yourself to be far enough to avoid the 'initial hit' and just grab normally.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Aerial attacks have a set maximum velocity. That's why aerial out of spring makes you move faster while aerial out of spinshot makes you slower.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I think he means the ASC without releasing the attack, since you can Spinshot from a DownB in the Air.

That, or it's magic.

thats what I meant. since you jump into it, i thought I could get more horizontal. Unfortunatly, its easier in the air, and i havent mastered it on the ground.

not magic

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
well, you have to press forward the edge to grab it after a w-edge attack. You can stage spike with a "w-edge fair" or if they DI out it Bair and stage spike them (then Up B, duh). Is useful, you have to get used to it.
Nonono, I meant attack from the edge (like, pressing A, lol) or pressing forward to get up from it.

Do either one and then try to instant edgehog immediately. I think it's not possible o_O

Not that it's a likely scenario, but I just thought that I'd point that out anyway...

disguy

Smash Cadet

Most of the time when my friend snakedashes, I'm able to grab him out of it as long as I avoid the initial hit. As Tenki said, you can space yourself to avoid the mortar slam and just grab him. My friend uses it A LOT, so I'm kinda used to it. It always annoys him when he gets grabbed from it because he always thinks he can get by me haha.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused. But if you mean using a non-cancelled F-air/U-air to combo into another move, yeah, it's possible. I'll look into the iasa thing.
Sorry, I typed bad... Fair, Uair (the first hit then fall on floor and get lag), then bair/fair/utilt.
Try it is good. And I found something useful. I call it "Super rol"l, I'll upload a video tomorrow (No time, my girl is waiting)...

Nonono, I meant attack from the edge (like, pressing A, lol) or pressing forward to get up from it.

Do either one and then try to instant edgehog immediately. I think it's not possible o_O

Not that it's a likely scenario, but I just thought that I'd point that out anyway...
I'll test that...

*EDIT: I uploaded the Super Roll and SDP Shieldgrab, go to my vid thread (there is the link)...

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
In my match with ROOOOY,on FD. I accidentally did a Really slow run,I much slower than even the one that allows Sonic to just run in place over the edge.

It only lasted for about a second cause I jumped out of it confused as to what was happening.

I don't remember how did it and my matches with ROOOY were real laggy. But I Know that I wasn't running in the opposite direction before this happened. And I'm very sure I wasn't facing the other way....

Any ideas as to what this was?
Hopefully not an instantaneous frame lag spike and I'm just waisting everyone's timeXD

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It was almost running in place, wasn't it?
Mighta been some weird lag side affect, but it looked pretty interesting.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I've actually done it as well its not a result of lag. You move at below walking speed.

Its sort of like DDD's running hammer. If you tilt ever so slightly sonic will start his running animation but move ridiculously slow.
But if DDD does it with his side B and tilts ever so slightly he goes zooming across the stage.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
In my match with ROOOOY,on FD. I accidentally did a Really slow run,I much slower than even the one that allows Sonic to just run in place over the edge.

It only lasted for about a second cause I jumped out of it confused as to what was happening.

I don't remember how did it and my matches with ROOOY were real laggy. But I Know that I wasn't running in the opposite direction before this happened. And I'm very sure I wasn't facing the other way....

Any ideas as to what this was?
Hopefully not an instantaneous frame lag spike and I'm just waisting everyone's timeXD
What buttons did you press? Don't you remember? That can help us to figure out what was that...

BTW I found the Super Roll very useful to mind game. Use it once to retreat, then dash again and super roll behind them. The Spin Dash sound confuses my opponents and they'll attack in front of them , finally ftilt them XD ... Spin Dash Pivot stuff isn't as good, FrostByte was right :)

Have somebody find a way to use super roll too?

@TwinkleToes: To answer you something about Super Roll. The distance increased is similar (or equal) to the distance Sonic moves back when he fully charges a Spin Dash. If you full dash and do a side B, Sonic will move that distance forward. Try it this way: Full dash and side B (hold) near the edge... You'll end Spin Dash charging off stage lol...
About the name... I couldn't think something else, just used "super roll" (maybe for the SD sound). :ohwell:

Tenki

Smash Hero
If you do a foxtrot slide > half-tilt (or over half) when it's almost over (like when you're standing still but in the slide animation), you'll do the really slow run.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
About 2 months ago, I was playing a friendly with my cousin.
I jumped during a fully charged down-b, hit the opponent in mid-air, and sent them downwards, exactly at a 45 degree angle. Spike!?!?! Hax!!! Has anyone else encountered this? I apologize if this is already common knowledge, but i haven't been here as frequently as I used too. I'm pretty oblivious to anything discovered after late May.
I have the replay saved, but unfortunately my recording equipment is busted. I could try sending it. I still have some of Fc's.

Top Bottom