• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Tenki

Smash Hero
I was playing w/ a Mario mainer and we were messing around trying to copy movements from each other.

Apparently, he had never seen a retreating F-smash before, and he couldn't do it, so I went ahead and tried using Mario.

Mario actually does a 'forward' step when he does his fsmash, while Sonic just extends his hand forward.

As such, I realized that Sonic's retreating F-smash steps backwards further than any of the other 'stutter step' characters. Hoorah.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't think this was mentioned, but I noticed if you do a sideB spindash, right when it starts he has that the little hop. Right when it starts make the top of the first jump hit the opponent. As soon as it connects, jump twice and you will do an attack plus a toadstool jump. They are then left sitting on their a$$ and are vulnerable to a follow up attack (spring, homing, dair, etc.)
Unfortunatley this only really works well if the opponenent isn't moving around a lot and i't's not really all to useful but once in a while it can be handy. Hope this tidbit helps.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hah, okay sorry about that then. It was probably worded differently so I didn't get it

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Hi twinkle Toes, maybe you want to add this stuff I found about walljumping from the edge attacks:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177617

Im testing this with other characters... At this moment I can only do this with Sonic!!! Maybe he is the only one that can do this... The Tech is usefull in some cases (I've scored some kills with it)

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Try it and you'll see... Follow the steps of the thread i mentioned before to do a Fair: While you grab the edge do: Control stick right/left (SMASHED) and hold it + jump, A (as soon as possible). Sonic will do a Fair directly from the edge (Similar to a Bair from the edge but its a Fair).
If you try to the same with Mario, you'll can't and he can wall jump too...

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Don't have my wii at the moment :/
Probably won't for a while too which sucks but... I'll put your edge hop stuff down.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Really? In that case I'll take that lil' note away. It's under the general tech category already.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
on a random note, this might have been mentioned, but the blue haired girl in umbys sig looks like shes high.

also, is it just me, or does down tilt seem to combo into itself from 0- 30% on a lot of characters
ive done it to snake i think to 35% and pika to 30%

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
^Sadly, that won't make you any better at gimping.

Umby, the largest part of gimping is getting the timing down. I suggest practicing a lot against the CPUs because even though they're dumb and predictable they will help you get your timing down. That way, when you play humans, you will at least know what you're going for.

Tenki

Smash Hero
CPUs rarely try to drop under the stage and try to recover from there though. I had some trouble transitioning from gimping computers to players cause most players don't recover high off-stage.

Also, B-reversals.

B-reversal's a common move to all characters, though Falcon and Ganon can't do it with their neutral B's.

I've been messing around with this lately, combining it with Spindash Cancel/grabs.

B-reversal-cancel looks really weird.

On a funny note, if you practice on a standing computer, run behind> B-reversal-grab > pummel and repeat. Looks like DBZ cause he like.. teleports behind the guy and starts beating him up xD

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Tenki, I think gimp killing is actually harder when they come in from high on the stage. Human players have much more creativity in those kinds of situations to either dodge or attack you in some fashion. This is especially true against characters that have aerials that can out prioritize Sonic's. Personally, I found CPU transition for people coming in under the level was the easiest as most people will act like the CPU's do when they come in under the level since they have very little margin for error.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Guys, teach me hwo I gimp.
Dair dude... Is incredible good to gimp, take a look at my new updates (Im uploading right now). practice a lot and...

?

Don't be so afraid of suiciding?
Exactly... (without the "?" at the end).

About Toon Link's w-edge stuff, I tried to do it today for 30 minutes and couldn't do it a SINGLE time (with Sonic I do it without fail)... Is it posible to do with other chars really? Still I can only do it with Sonic

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Maybe it's a timing issue? Like, maybe the other characters can't do it quite as fast? I dunno. I'll just say we can keep this to ourselves for now :D

Umby

Smash Master
When I did it with Toon Link, it's weird.
Basically I tapped the control stick at a diagonal. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I don't really know what to say about it.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's a timing issue? Like, maybe the other characters can't do it quite as fast? I dunno. I'll just say we can keep this to ourselves for now :D
I agree, we must save this info XD... I tried all variations of timing I could imagine but...

When I did it with Toon Link, it's weird.
Basically I tapped the control stick at a diagonal. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I don't really know what to say about it.
...didn't tried the diagonal stuff, I do it when I'm at home.

EDIT: Diagonal when? toward or away the stage?

dark_Illusion_hokage

Smash Apprentice
hello *feels weird being the new guy*
i like how you gimp in your vids athinus, i edge guard like that to except's most of the time it's with fair.
*gets back on topic*
does anyone use the spin-shot effectively anymore, i never see it being used these days.

p.s there wouldn't happen to be a really loud guy/jerk named _X_ here would there?

Tenki

Smash Hero
i like how you gimp in your vids athinus, i edge guard like that to except's most of the time it's with fair.
*gets back on topic*
does anyone use the spin-shot effectively anymore, i never see it being used these days.

p.s there wouldn't happen to be a really loud guy/jerk named _X_ here would there?
I use spinshot, mostly to approach with B-airs by going behind them. Sometimes they roll backwards, and I guess if you can predict it you can figure out a counter move.

Starting to use it as a retreat/feint with B-reversals, but yeah, I use it =l

[edit/addition: july 5]
on a stupid note, the edge walljump been randomly costing me games lately >___<
I'd try to do a ledgehopped ASC, but instead, I wall jump and go flying in the wrong direction without a double jump. gaaaah =_=

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
i like how you gimp in your vids athinus, i edge guard like that to except's most of the time it's with fair...
I'm glad you liked the stuff... I prefer Dair (my favorite move :chuckle:) to gimp...

I use spinshot, mostly to approach with B-airs by going behind them. Sometimes they roll backwards, and I guess if you can predict it you can figure out a counter move.

Starting to use it as a retreat/feint with B-reversals, but yeah, I use it =l
I use SC, roll then Dair to go behind them... But I liked that about retreating, I'll try Spin Shot in that way.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
I like a LOT Umby's new avatar and sign... Good job dude.

@ Twinkle Toes: I made a video (mini tutorial) for w-edge stuff with Sonic... You don't get angry if I reveal the stuff?

Browny

Smash Hater
i cbf making a new thread so ill just say it here.

do yous think shield-cancelled spin dashes are still worth while doing. recently ive been using them in a rapid-fire style as an approach to bait the likes of marth sideb, pika dsmash, falco reflector etc and it seems to work really well. you can just stand in one spot, repeatedly cancelling the side-b into a shield like 2-3 times a second, and it still makes the dash attack sound. i know we found this out long ago and kind of dismissed it, but it seems to always work for me as a sort of unpunishable approach since you can go from your run, shield, to grab in mere frames and even if the enemy doesnt use a punisable attack, its not like they can go through the shield.

idk, it might not work very often at high level play, but it certainly works against the nubs i play over and over again :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
*gets back on topic*

yea, i forgot who but someone jsut recently put up a vid of him vs. his nephews scrub MK and he was spinshotting constantly

and yes that bum X is here, somewhere

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
i cbf making a new thread so ill just say it here.

do yous think shield-cancelled spin dashes are still worth while doing. recently ive been using them in a rapid-fire style as an approach to bait the likes of marth sideb, pika dsmash, falco reflector etc and it seems to work really well. you can just stand in one spot, repeatedly cancelling the side-b into a shield like 2-3 times a second, and it still makes the dash attack sound. i know we found this out long ago and kind of dismissed it, but it seems to always work for me as a sort of unpunishable approach since you can go from your run, shield, to grab in mere frames and even if the enemy doesnt use a punisable attack, its not like they can go through the shield.

idk, it might not work very often at high level play, but it certainly works against the nubs i play over and over again :p
Done well they're definitely worth doing. Tenki effed me up doing those.

Top Bottom