• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Tenki

Smash Hero
that's not a homing attack.

It's a vertical spindash jump (short: VSDJ), which you can get by hitting jump/attack while charging a grounded side/down-B.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I believe that air dodging onto the stage will prevent air tripping.
Is there enough time to input the airdodge ?_?

The reason he gets that "air trip" status is because his feet like...just skim the ground as he's "rolling" through the air, skimming the ledge. I'd imagine that the airdodge might cause you to just MISS the ledge >_>

I'm not too sure though, but hey, if it works, sexy.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yep, it works. Not if you get grabbed though...
lolcyphergrab

Well, I'll have to mess around with the "Air Trip Cancel", lol.

Cool beans.

MyCurse4Life

Smash Ace
What about the dash cancel? (Not sure if it's been named yet, haven't been checking general boards). Basically going into dash animation and hitting the direction you just dashed in, literally tapping forawrd twice. It cancels out the laggy dash and goes straight to the end of the run animation, which you can use basically any move of your choice.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
What about the dash cancel? (Not sure if it's been named yet, haven't been checking general boards). Basically going into dash animation and hitting the direction you just dashed in, literally tapping forawrd twice. It cancels out the laggy dash and goes straight to the end of the run animation, which you can use basically any move of your choice.
First thing listed-

*Dash Canceling:
The effect of a dash cancel is to create a sliding up-smash (rather like the hyphen smash does for Sonic). The most practical way of executing the dash cancel requires a specific control configuration with tap jumping off. Initiate a dash by smashing the control stick in an upward diagonal direction. At any time during the dash, hit down on the c-stick to initiate a dash attack. Hit "z" to initiate an up-smash. If you hold "z" the up smash will charge. There is no significant advantage to using this over the hyphen smash for Sonic. [Credited as a General Discovery]

But it kinda sounds like YOU are referring to this-

Foxtrot:
As in Melee, foxtrotting in brawl consists of initiating a dash by smashing the control stick forward, releasing the control stick to neutral, and then smashing forward again. Stringing this together results in the "foxtrot." The inherent advantage to foxtrotting is specific to characters whose initial dash is faster than their run. These characters (of which Sonic is not one) can move faster on the ground by foxtrotting than by running. More importantly, the foxtrot is used in a number of pivots and dash cancels and is the building block for certain advanced techs. [Credited as a General Discovery]

Or maybe this-

*Stutter stepping:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
The two kinds of stutter step smashing are
a)left on the control, right on the c-stick (which you named) [Credited to the_yoshinator]
b)right on the control stick, right on the c-stick (discovered by yours truly)

and then we have your discovery (I'll credit it to you because you put me on the track of finding it)
c) lightly tap the control stick right, smash the control stick left, and smash the c-stick right-- all in immediate succession. (smashing the control stick in the first step will result in a dash attack or a stutter step) [Credited to domiNate]

To give you an idea on distance between the three things we have here I went to Final destination and used the dark green arrows on the stage that point outward as a guide. I put Sonic's toe to one tip and measured how many times I would have to do a technique to get his body entirely on the other side of the arrow.

a) Takes 3 stutter steps no matter how you do it
b) Takes 2 if you time it right
c) Takes 1

So in other words, your method yields 3xs the distance of what most people on the Sonic forum have been using, and 2xs what I've been using. Of course, the need for each will probably be situational but it's good to add as much to the ol' technique arsenal as possible.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the reason why it is different can be seen in the tapping of the control stick. If you smash the control stick as you do in a stutter step you will see your character dash. If you tap and then smash in the opposite direction you will see your character move forward ever so slightly and then quickly run in the opposite direction. To distill that even further, if you just do the tap you will notice that instead of going into the dash animation, the character just takes a short shuffle forward. I tested what would happen if you just did the tap and the smash and instead of sliding the initial short move forward is the only distance added to the smash.

It's hard to tell exactly which one you are referring to, but I'm positive it's one of these...which are all listed.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Is there enough time to input the airdodge ?_?

The reason he gets that "air trip" status is because his feet like...just skim the ground as he's "rolling" through the air, skimming the ledge. I'd imagine that the airdodge might cause you to just MISS the ledge >_>

I'm not too sure though, but hey, if it works, sexy.

Yeah I'm kind of scratching my head on this one too. Does he maybe mean airdodging after the air trip?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
As you are about to land, by barely skimming the stage before the tumble animation happens. Air dodge. Your next jump wont be an air trip.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah I'm kind of scratching my head on this one too. Does he maybe mean airdodging after the air trip?
As you are about to land, by barely skimming the stage before the tumble animation happens. Air dodge. Your next jump wont be an air trip.
Chis is right. I was trying it out on Battlefield by springing from the air trip height, then got the air trip...obviously.

Then, I did it from the same height, but airdodged right before I hit the ground.

Sonic does like...a super half second airdodge right before touching the ground, voiding the air trip.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Well, you can cancel the up-b with a dodge or aerial soooooooo are you sure this isn't just that? Someone try to cancel an air trip with a fair and report back :/

Browny

Smash Hater
Add this to the list imo

bair stage spike -> FSJ -> spring spike

Ive been pulling this off too often to be nothing more than a lucky accident (unlike a usmash spike, dthrow spike for example). Got a few videos of it too lol...

Browny

Smash Hater
Ive got replays but I dont upload em lol. I can upload some examples though (not the whole match... theyre wifi anyway).

Its pretty cool since even at a very low % just spam jump button after the spike and you might get lucky and get the FSJ out of thier hitstun. I even gimped a sonic yesterday with this :p

infomon

Smash Scientist
SS: that's very lol :laugh:

Here's my insane combo that I've never been able to completely pull off (tho I've actually gotten the Dair hit at least):

Uthrow > Spring > footstool (push them towards spring) > Dair (hit them and bounce off spring) > Uair as you rise lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
Add this to the list imo

bair stage spike -> FSJ -> spring spike

Ive been pulling this off too often to be nothing more than a lucky accident (unlike a usmash spike, dthrow spike for example). Got a few videos of it too lol...
lol there's a certain Sonic that we know that I played against a long time ago, and I pulled this off:

B-air weak stage spike > footstool -> spring spike (he used spring after this) -> spring grab gimp

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
yeah so, aerial SC and grounded SC are two different moves according to Brawl's decay system

I was executing an ACS combo, first hit did 6 (air), second hit did 10 (grounded) third hit (air) did six again. I was talking to an SBR member about it today about sonic for a moment, and i told him.

so now im telling you

EDIT - the example provided was from a test i did today to give some recent numbers

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That makes sense, just like how the hop part of the SpinDash released does 5% damage, while the SDR is considered something else on its own.

Now I wonder if V/SDJ has its own decay system...

infomon

Smash Scientist
.... but side-B's hop, ASC, SDR, and (V)SDJ all share a decay system. I mean, try landing a few ASCs, then notice you won't get 5% with your next side-B hop. I think the issue here is that hits that are done within quick succession will count together as the same move; as in a multi-hitting attack. So I guess that ASC > SDR > SDJ done fast enough in one combo can be treated all together as just one or two moves.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
You also have to take into consideration the amount of charge each move has, because the both the knock back and the damage are affected by the amount of charge

EDIT - SDR doesn't share the same decay as ASC and (V)SDJ

infomon

Smash Scientist
You also have to take into consideration the amount of charge each move has, because the both the knock back and the damage are affected by the amount of charge
Amount of charge only affects SDR; and that's because it determines velocity which determines damage. Side-B and (V)SDJ are fixed-damage (aside from decay). ASC's damage is determined by velocity, which is determined by horizontal control-stick input; amount of charge doesn't matter.

EDIT - SDR doesn't share the same decay as ASC and (V)SDJ
Yes it does.

:054:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What about regular ol' SDJ, what's the deal with that, is it on it's onw system or is it shared with something else?

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think MC and I were using (V)SDJ to indicate SDJ, whether or not it's Vertical. SDJ and VSDJ are the same move. side-B and down-B use the same stale moves counter, no matter what you do with them; this includes SDJ and VSDJ. :(

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
That doesn't really make any sense as a that's what she said. Now stop cluttering my thread with your failed attempts at humor.

-.-

Ant-14

Smash Rookie
Thx Alot This Will Def Help Me Out Alot If Anyone Has A Good Sonic Can They Plz Train Mine Private Message Me Plz Plz Help Train My Sonic ^_^

darkNES386

Smash Lord
*Dash Canceling:
The effect of a dash cancel is to create a sliding up-smash (rather like the hyphen smash does for Sonic). The most practical way of executing the dash cancel requires a specific control configuration with tap jumping off. Initiate a dash by smashing the control stick in an upward diagonal direction. At any time during the dash, hit down on the c-stick to initiate a dash attack. Hit "z" to initiate an up-smash. If you hold "z" the up smash will charge. There is no significant advantage to using this over the hyphen smash for Sonic. [Credited as a General Discovery]
Are you crazy? Sonic's hyphen smash is weak sauce compared to his DAC. Thanks though for showing me the easiest way to pull it off. I will demonstrate this if necessary.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Are you crazy? Sonic's hyphen smash is weak sauce compared to his DAC. Thanks though for showing me the easiest way to pull it off. I will demonstrate this if necessary.
Please do :[

The only time I see DAC is if you're walking/standing far away from someone and camping a landing.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeh, sorry darkNES I'd be happy to change that, but I have no idea how the DAC is so much better than the hyphen smash. Plus the timing was always a pain in the *** for me to get down.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The only time I see DAC is if you're walking/standing far away from someone and camping a landing.
QFT

I rarely ever use DAC, I much prefer the hyphen. I sometimes use a foxtrot>DAC to psyche people out from time to time, but maybe once every...50 matches, lol.

--

I think Tenki(?) mentioned that you can hypen smash OUT OF foxtrot somewhere? I'm not too sure, but I'm used to the DAC command >_>

Tenki

Smash Hero
You can hyphen smash and DAC out of foxtrot.

I don't see why not >__>

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I guess I just don't understand the properties of hypen smash then?

I mean, I guess you could, but would you still get the slide ?_?

After the foxtrot, like a delayed one, wouldn't he go into slow run? Then from there the hyphen smash wouldn't really slide or anything...whereas the DAC gets that huge boost immediatley.

amidoinitrite??

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I don't think you get the slide, because you don't have the speed. With DAC you do get the boost.
Hyphen Smash from foxtrot is almost like U-smash in place.

Top Bottom