• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sonic Glitch/Tech/Non-obvious move list & Gimp Guide *updated 2/16*

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hyphen Smash is different from a Dash Attack Canceled Usmash. Sorry bro.

Hyphen smash is simply a running Usmash. Nothing more, Sonic gains a slide from it which is why it's not referred to as just Usmash.

DACUS (dash attack canceled Usmash) is the action of preforming a dash attack, then canceling the startup with a Usmash, propeling the character forward at a faster rate from startup than the Hyphen smash (they look similar, but you can feel and see a difference once you know the properties of each)

Hyphen smash you can just run and hit c-stick up. gg

DACUS is harder, you have to initiate a dash attack (hit forward joystick, c-stick down) then immediatley after hitting down on the c-stick, hit up (on joystick) and Z. This will cancel the dash attack with a Usmash. This is easiest to do with tap jump off.

Two similar looking, but different techs.

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Actually, nothing at all in drag0nfeather's post refers in any way to DACUS. He's just talking about different names for boost-smashing (lol yet another name for it): boost-smash, hyphen-smash, "dash-cancelled up-smash" (he didn't say dash attack in there lol). Indeed, doing a running up-smash involving c-stick + Z or A is just an extra thing if you want to charge it. Although yeah, you might involve the c-stick as well if you wanted to DACUS... afaik he wasn't referring to this at all.

:054:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
When I see dash cancelled up smash, i just fill in attack >_< considering pretty much everyone calls that hyphen smashing anyway.

YOU STUPID DOG, YOU MADE ME LOOK BAD!

/eustice

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I like it when people not from the Sonic boards post in here and we all dog pile on them and show how learned we all are. Anything that revives my thread is a good thing. Huahahahahaha!

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i have a feeling this guide is missing a lot of little things.

we should look into that. we've had too many people lately bringin' up old info.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Dair is never used to Momentum Cancel, it's the worst thing you could do to stay alive.

I don't know what it is, but it is anything but a Momentum Cancel.

BSP

Smash Legend
That's what i interpretted from the OP, maybe it's just me

Slow Dair:
After being hit/sent upwards, use a dair attack that has downward momentum and the momentum will be slowed or in some situations entirely eliminated. It is a flaw in the game physics and not an exploitable glitch. [Credited as a general discovery

From the OP, it's kinda misleading. Shouldn't someone fix it?

Browny

Smash Hater
indeed it is not a flaw in the game mechanics... its entirely explainable via the strange ragdoll physics effect in brawl lol.

It only gives the impression of slowing momentum... anyone who looks at it will notice that, but thats only because of the dair animation and were used to it shooting downwards lol

BSP

Smash Legend
indeed it is not a flaw in the game mechanics... its entirely explainable via the strange ragdoll physics effect in brawl lol.

other than that, what do you see that is misleading? coz i dont see anything...
It made it sound like using sonic's d air after being launched would help.

infomon

Smash Scientist
yeah, you're right, it doesn't help, but it just looks like it because when you use Dair during knockback, it doesn't have its normal momentum-changing effects lol, so it looks funny to us. :laugh:

That blurb should be removed from the OP.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I had entirely forgotten that was in there. Well, with the deal people made of it originally it made sense to have it there so people would stop going "ZOMG GUYS LOOK WHAT I DISCOVERED!"

But yeah... MY BADZ~

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
Well I know some one probably already said something about this, but you guys all know that if someone falls off the ledge then a carefully placed spring can gimp them some what easily right? Sorry if someone already posted this (I'm sure they did) I just haven't been on the smash boards in a while.

Umby

Smash Master
Well I know some one probably already said something about this, but you guys all know that if someone falls off the ledge then a carefully placed spring can gimp them some what easily right? Sorry if someone already posted this (I'm sure they did) I just haven't been on the smash boards in a while.
Indeed. Known since March 08. Though how good the opponent's recovery is and how far way/below the ledge they are factor in as well.

MeekSpeedy

Smash Ace
Yeah, I read this over to see if you guise were missing anything, and you got most of it covered, just the gimp part is missing a few things. :$ Like Fair to homing attack, it allows you to gimp and keep your second jump, so if they survive after the homing attack, you can still chase farther, and if you miss the homing attack, you should still be good to recover.

Also, Sonic can wall jump to the edge on FD by hitting the control stick towards the direction of the edge.

If those are already on there, sorry, but I checked it over and I can't remember them being there.

BSP

Smash Legend
Question : What do you guys use Nair for? I know it has good damage and a long duration, but it seems like ANY attack from my opponent will result in me taking damage (them unscathed).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's safe(r?) to use it on opponents who are on platforms, which can set-up for jab-locks if you push them off and they don't react fast enough to avoid the pratfall.

It outlasts airdodges, and could be used as an edgegaurd tool.... note the COULD part.

Check Kojin's lab, there should be some brief discussion on other peoples' applications, and some other ideas if you're not quite satisfied with my Nair usage(s).

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Spin Sliding!!!!

Ignore post! apparently, this has already been discovered (thanks kinz). ****it, i really thought i had contributed something useful...

Ok so I think i discovered something pretty neat and applicable. It's a little bit like iSDR, but not invincible and you get to do a move besides spinning to hit your opponent. Basically, on levels with a flat plane leading to a 45 degree angle slope (such as Corneria and Yoshi's Island (the melee stage with the jutting pipe and the 45 degree dirt slope on the right hand side) you can initiate a Down B spin charge on the flat plane part of the stage, then when you hit the 45 degree part you press A (to initiate a jump from the spin). Instead of jumping, sonic will SLIDE a good distance. You can stop this slide at any moment by doing some move that would stop a slide (such as a dtilt, ftilt, jab, fsmash, dsmash, etc). OR you could do a sliding move (such as usmash or utilt). A move such as this will slide you toward your opponent while doing the move. This is very much like the hyphen smash or DACUS, except it can be used with any move to slide a good distance and get in the face of your opponent. I wish i had a video camera, but its really easy. For example, in yoshi's island (melee): start the down B from the flat part of the zone, facing the hill on the right. At any moment on that hill, press A. This will automatically stop the spinning and you will slide a pretty good distance instead of jumping into the air with a spin. With this, Ive been able to do pivot dtilts (so I slide behind the opponent but end up facing his back and hit him with a dtilt from behind) and pivot smashes, pretty much anything. So i'm pretty excited that i actually was able to contribute to sonic boards, if this is actually undiscovered. If it has been found already, my bad and i apologize to the rightful founder.. If not tho, I call it SPIN SLIDING and demand recognition! Jk, someone with a vid camera, if you could tape this and post, it'll prob help ppl. Oh, this works on the 45 degree Pipe in yoshi's island, and on the 45 degree wing of corneria. Just remember to hit A when you get on the 45 degree part!! Anytime while you're on the 45 degree part, but not before and not after, otherwise you'll do a regular spin jump! Also, it can be done with Side B, of course. There's a lot of cool stuff I've been able to do with it, and even though it is incredibly stage dependent, anything new is useful! I think that's all..

The BlackChrimson

Smash Apprentice
Ok, my Sonic may be somewhat decent, but I really need a total guide of tricks and such for Sonic, as well as a how-to quide with each move. ^^;

I need a big list before I get too stale...

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Nice guide,

but I didn't see the dash > b > roll ("super roll") AT anywhere, nor did I see the dash > SDP AT anywhere. Did I miss it or is there a reason these two weren't mentioned?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Nice guide,

but I didn't see the dash > b > roll ("super roll") AT anywhere, nor did I see the dash > SDP AT anywhere. Did I miss it or is there a reason these two weren't mentioned?
oh, after careful examination a while back:
1) Super roll was an illusion. If you're running at full speed and start a side-B, it slides you the same amount you would if you had shielded and done the same. The roll distance is exactly the same as a regular roll. The only difference is that you get the graphic/sound effect before hand.

2) spindash pivot is just a B-reversal.

Bad!

Smash Cadet
good stuff bro found lots of good things cant wait to try it out especially the grinding

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about other Sonic mains, but I have personally never used grinding and I think that even trying it in a real match is more likely to harm you then help you.
I agree. Is it even possible to throw out a fsmash after you're tilting the stick forward to grind? It seems to me that I can only dash attack once I grind then smash the stick then the c stick.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I agree. Is it even possible to throw out a fsmash after you're tilting the stick forward to grind? It seems to me that I can only dash attack once I grind then smash the stick then the c stick.
Short answer:
No. You can only F-smash at the beginning, but like you said, if you tap forward again, you can F-smash out of that.

Longer answer:
Think of how you do a F-smash:
[Tap Forward] + [Attack]

Dash Attack:
[Tap Forward] + (delay) [Attack]

break it apart, and just tap forward, what happens?
[Initial Dash]

So here's what's really happening when you F-smash:
[Initial Dash] + [Attack]

Are you familiar with the foxtrot?
[initial dash], [initial dash], [initial dash]...

There's a handy trick where you can cancel one of those initial dashes into an F-smash by just inputting [Tap Forward+Attack] instead of just [Tap Forward]

Since grinding is, in state, the same as an initial dash, that's how you'd pull off a grind F-smash.

Extra Complication
You have to FULLY RELEASE the control stick before tapping [Forward] again!

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't think this thread should be stickied if the OP isn't around anymore. It would be nice if someone remade this threads with more detailed (and updated) information on Air Dashing, Air Tripping , everything else etc.

After all, its a WIP that hasn't been updated in almost a year. Even if its not actually redone with greater accuracy, we have 7 stickies and we only need 4 since 3 of them are just outdated guides that could be linked in the index.

Top Bottom