• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Solution: An Ice Climbers Guide to Non-Grab Skillz by choknater

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Sure, you're definitely correct, but knowing the situational differences are definitely helpful. You're allowed to move differently. That extra speed helps a TON. No more unwanted wavelanding desynchs or paranoid defensiveness to protect Nana, etc. I always find myself playing better solo when under pressure from an aggressive Ganon.

Ghost42

Smash Apprentice
Section II:

Unfortunately, ICs are at a terrible advantage when above the opponent. The only moves that can hit below them are the dair, fair, and ice block. All three are ridiculously punishable. Either stay level with or below your opponent.
I think you mean Disadvantage here.

Other than that it's a great guide, cheers for making it.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Chaudgobay; you didn't actually disagree with me, since the newest tier-list changed the tier names so now Link and Luigi are "low-tier." We're on the same wavelength, just using different terminology.

Also, the IC's actually do decent damage with their d-throw chaingrab. You can also wait for abusable DI and combo afterwards instead and get 40-50 damage out of the grab, even alone.

Plus it's just annoying to get chaingrabbed. As one of my friends described IC's, the purpose of SoPo is to get as much percent while living as long as possible. Instead of trying to win, you get tiny isolated hits that annoy the enemy. The more irritating your single IC is, the more psychologically vexing it is when he finally dies and comes back with a partner.

Of course, one could argue that your goal is ALWAYS to do as much damage while surviving, but... you know what I mean.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Plus it's just annoying to get chaingrabbed. As one of my friends described IC's, the purpose of SoPo is to get as much percent while living as long as possible. Instead of trying to win, you get tiny isolated hits that annoy the enemy. The more irritating your single IC is, the more psychologically vexing it is when he finally dies and comes back with a partner.
Quoted for truth. I've built my Solo Popo playstyle to revolve around harassment, cheap damage, and survival. Go for kills if they make a mistake but don't force it.

Binx

Smash Master
Also, the IC's actually do decent damage with their d-throw chaingrab. You can also wait for abusable DI and combo afterwards instead and get 40-50 damage out of the grab, even alone.

Of course, one could argue that your goal is ALWAYS to do as much damage while surviving, but... you know what I mean.
I dont know where I heard that before now, but a while back I heard somewhere that solo Popo is just supposed to try and get as much damage as possible not neccesarily win, I tried it out and it seems pretty solid advice, solo popo is pretty easy to punish so its nice to just be playing careful and know for sure its the right thing, sometimes I wonder if maybe I should try playing that way with 2.

I think a lot of ICs do some pretty amazing stuff with a solo popo. He is really fast his attacks all come out fast most of them do pretty good damage, as much as shieks fair with similar knockback, plus they can chain throw a ton of people, they are basically like a worse in the air shiek w/o tilts.

Offtopic: How does anyone hit with U-tilts? the only time I can ever get it off is vs Marths who DI my rdair poorly. Seems really brutal against fox, falco and falcon though.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
Plus it's just annoying to get chaingrabbed. As one of my friends described IC's, the purpose of SoPo is to get as much percent while living as long as possible. Instead of trying to win, you get tiny isolated hits that annoy the enemy. The more irritating your single IC is, the more psychologically vexing it is when he finally dies and comes back with a partner.QUOTE]

hmm...i didn't know about tis new tier list, can u link me to the tier plz ?

and this part quoted, i agree 100% with it, the psychological of the oponent when he can kill a "half char" is incredible

sometimes you won the game just disturbing the oponent's mind with a solo popo

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
You pretty much have to predict the opponent's movement in order to land an up-tilt, pretty much. For starters, WD'ing in is how you're going to land it most of the time. You either slide in right before they jump to do an attack, so you don't risk getting outspaced or prioritized, or you get RIGHT under an aerial where u-tilt has the most priority.

I'm really tired right now so that's not much of an explanation.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
I wobbled my friend the other day. I picked the ice climbers and he said, "You have to be kidding me," because he knows that I have never played the ice climbers once, my whole life. And then I wobbled him based off the descriptions I read in guides. I JV 3 stocked him... I can't even do that with my main consistently against this specific person.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Lol, broken?!, if your friend never have played against IC´s he will easily be 3stocked because he will let himself get grabbed, it takes skill to play against ICs. Always goes for 4-stocking in pools, because pretty much people dont know how to get out from the "chaingrabs", making they already beaten in the matchup^^
It´s not as playing against a single char...
Ah, irony XD, didnt notice first.
Great guide, inspired me to do some combos I used in the beggining of playing ICs, is it seriously impossible for fox to jump out from the utrow-usmash? if they dont DI?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Lol, broken?!, if your friend never have played against IC´s he will easily be 3stocked because he will let himself get grabbed, it takes skill to play against ICs. Always goes for 4-stocking in pools, because pretty much people dont know how to get out from the "chaingrabs", making they already beaten in the matchup^^
It´s not as playing against a single char...
Ah, irony XD, didnt notice first.
Great guide, inspired me to do some combos I used in the beggining of playing ICs, is it seriously impossible for fox to jump out from the utrow-usmash? if they dont DI?
Er, are you talking about that Popo combo? Fox can definitely DI out of it. It was just a combo that helped me train my combos.

I started playing IC's a while ago and this guide definitly helped me improve my game Nice Job!
Thanks man, that's pleasing to hear :).

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
double post. sorry

I wobbled my friend the other day. I picked the ice climbers and he said, "You have to be kidding me," because he knows that I have never played the ice climbers once, my whole life. And then I wobbled him based off the descriptions I read in guides. I JV 3 stocked him... I can't even do that with my main consistently against this specific person.

its stuff like that that makes us ICEY mains seem like devils with parkas and mallets.

beautiful mallets hand carved from the ancient oak tree of The tan dynasty. infused with the souls of 1000 beaten seals and polarbears and topis.

::sigh of relief::

Binx

Smash Master
its stuff like that that makes us ICEY mains seem like devils with parkas and mallets.

beautiful mallets hand carved from the ancient oak tree of The tan dynasty. infused with the souls of 1000 beaten seals and polarbears and topis.

::sigh of relief::

I laughed soooo hard. I would sig this if I didnt have such an awesome sig already.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Thanks for the guide. My IC's were too grab happy and now I can actually work on not being so predictable. but I have to admit. Nothing feels better than going to a local tournament where everyone knows you and showing them your Ice Climbers for the first time. Then wobbling your opponent on his last stock of the last match.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Thanks for the guide. My IC's were too grab happy and now I can actually work on not being so predictable. but I have to admit. Nothing feels better than going to a local tournament where everyone knows you and showing them your Ice Climbers for the first time. Then wobbling your opponent on his last stock of the last match.
No problem man. It's all good: pretty much every IC player starts out grab happy. This guide is for people who start running into those obstacles where grabs don't work. I'm glad it helped :).

Binx

Smash Master
I started out smash happy and had to learn to work in grabs, now I incorporate a lot more aerials into my play, people really dont expect you to attack them from the air a lot with ICs.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
I pwn

I was doing good with grabbing like crazy until my friend crushed me with marth...so i read this guide and learned how to work other tactics in now i can PWN my friend
NICE GUIDE MAN

widowmaker300

Smash Cadet
amazing guide, i main fox but IC are my secondary and i used to just try to grab for the most part. this opens up whole new opportunites, once again, great guide and thanks.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I was doing good with grabbing like crazy until my friend crushed me with marth...so i read this guide and learned how to work other tactics in now i can PWN my friend
NICE GUIDE MAN
amazing guide, i main fox but IC are my secondary and i used to just try to grab for the most part. this opens up whole new opportunites, once again, great guide and thanks.
always good to hear good feedback ^_^ thank you!

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
- Quad Ice Blocks: Here's something cool from Zjiin/Wobbles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB9-vr_q6gg
I dunno if anybody has said this yet, but i was messin around with this after i read it.

And i realized to do these WDQIBs (whatever you guys call them), you cant do a perfect wavedash. You actually HAVE to do a short one or you go too far too fast.

Just thought i might throw that out there as a troubleshooting solution for some people who might be having problems.

--

I shouldnt be helping you IC *******s anyway. :p

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i haven't played in a while, but in my hay day, i pretty much incorporated a primarily aerial base attack/smash with a roll dodge/grab tactic. I also remember using my AR to start every match as a lone IC to get better at fighting alone....

but as i've said, its been a while and i've only just started getting back to where i was.... :-/

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
It's hard to believe that 8,000 of your 11,000 posts were made in the last year :laugh:

Also this thread reminds me how awesome the melee boards used to be. :(

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
Nice work helped me out quite a bit especially when my nana gets destroyed :O.

Another useful way of pulling off the double blizzard without doing it in the air is spot dodge and hold down-b nana will do her blizzard first while popo remains crouching tap b again and popo will do his. Obviously if this is done faster they'll moreless do it at the same time.

Top Bottom