• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Let me correct you on that Metal Gear is the only thing holding them up! Castlevaina brings in a few dollars from time to time!
Same thing goes for SEGA Sonic is the only thing holding them up!
lords of shadow did well for them, but that part of the series is now over since the team behind it said they were moving on (they also had a lot of internal problems from what i heard). And with igarashi leaving the company, i just dont know if they would even know what to do with it.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
That's simultaneously a bad and good thing.

If you don't get why, look at SpongeBob before the movie and look at it after the movie. It's a perfect analogy.
Oh, don't get me wrong, by no means are future Metal Gear games guaranteed to be good, especially if MGSV really is Kojima's last (kinda doubt it).

But I strongly disagree that there isn't any story left to tell. Rising was originally supposed to be about Raiden rescuing Sunny Gurlukovich from Area 51 pre-MGS4, which still sounds like an excellent premise to me. The actual Rising had a bit of a sequel tease as well. There's also Kojima's suggestion that at one point MGSV was going to be about The Boss and the Cobras in World War II, which would be awesome. The Boss is the most badass woman in gaming and the cobras could use some fleshing out, plus I can only imagine what the Metal Gear Universe take on the Nazis would be like, probably kooky as hell. There's also been talk of making a game where Gray Fox is the main character, and I think a game with Ocelot as the main character could work too. There's a whole decade of Big Boss operating as a solo mercenary all over the world that's been discussed in the games but never shown, and there's at least one major plot point that's gone more or less completely unexplored, which is how Zero, Para-Medic, and Sigint all became evil and power-mad and why Big Boss chose to part ways with them. We've also seen nothing directly covering the inception of Les Enfants Terribles, which you could say is pretty important (although Liquid's in MGSV so we're definitely getting some new details). We still don't know if any of the Patriots are making a physical appearance in MGSV, but even if they do, we won't get to see how they became the organization they are unless there's some extensive flashbacks or something.

And then, there's also the boring idea of remaking the MSX games which everybody is clinging to even though Kojima says he's not interested. Personally, I think the inevitable movie that won't just die should be a remake of the MSX games. That'll give the writers and director the most creative freedom, and I think it's in everybody's best interest if they don't try to adapt any of the games that are basically already movies.

Basically, Metal Gear has a rich enough universe that it could go on forever. Whether it should, well that's a different story.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
lords of shadow did well for them, but that part of the series is now over since the team behind it said they were moving on (they also had a lot of internal problems from what i heard). And with igarashi leaving the company, i just dont know if they would even know what to do with it.
Lord's Of Shadows was a 3DS Exclusive wouldn't it?

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Those leaked videos to support the current rumor just hit. If they're true and they look very legit.
Looks like Snake is out on this one guys. At least as a Day 1. Hopefully the DLC part was true. Since there is still space on that leaked Character select screen.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Was the DLC part of the leak true, or was that de-confirmed? This new leak really just boosted the validity of the last roster leak.

SonicMario

Smash Master
DLC Snake is better then no Snake at all. Let's hope that part of the leak is still true. Ivysaur and Squirtle being the only true Brawl Cuts would be tolerable enough that it'll be easier to tolerate Dr. Mario's return and the inclusion of Dark Pit.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Well the leak apparently doesn't have all the characters unlocked or those spaces are for DLC so who knows what will come next.
But a Snake DLC reveal would be a huge deal after the game hits 3DS. You thought he was out but he's back in the fight.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Yikes... all star m

ode pic

Better hope for DLC...

This mode is locked meaning we still got a chance on snake.
Since this hints that we haven't seen all the characters yet.

However the supposed leaker is saying 3 more characters aren't shown. Them being Dixie, Mewtwo, and Chorus Kids. Which means we would be back at hoping Snake is DLC if that turns out true.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Looking at this roster I can say that if this is really it, I'm quite disappointed. Not just because of the lack of Snake, but the number of cuts in general - especially because small series got the shaft so they could add yet another Mario character. Very anti-climatic.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
According to the leaker the last five characters are Ridley, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Mach Rider, and Impa. :/ I think it's safe to say Snake is out, but we should definitely push for dlc. I mean, even more than Snake, it's a travesty that the Ice Climbers got cut. We know they tried to put ICs in the game at one point, so that data is still presumably usable. Maybe there's some data for an attempt at Snake too.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
According to the leaker the last five characters are Ridley, Dixie Kong, Mewtwo, Mach Rider, and Impa. :/ I think it's safe to say Snake is out, but we should definitely push for dlc. I mean, even more than Snake, it's a travesty that the Ice Climbers got cut. We know they tried to put ICs in the game at one point, so that data is still presumably usable. Maybe there's some data for an attempt at Snake too.
He did say he straight up lied about the DLC, he could be doing that again. I'll wait until there's visual proof of what he said as he's already admitted to not being trustworthy.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Just because that DLC list was a lie doesn't mean DLC is completely out of the question.
No doubt, and I think it's more likely than not given how Nintendo has been doing it for lesser games than Smash and there is an obvious market there. I'm just saying that whatever the leaker says about remaining characters that don't appear in any released footage or screens could well be a lie, just like the DLC list.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
No doubt, and I think it's more likely than not given how Nintendo has been doing it for lesser games than Smash and there is an obvious market there. I'm just saying that whatever the leaker says about remaining characters that don't appear in any released footage or screens could well be a lie, just like the DLC list.
Yeah, I suppose it's good not to take it at face value, although it seems excessive to pull that same bs twice.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So Solid Snake is gone. How is Bowser Jr. going to fight in a Clown Copter?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It's too soon for give up. We haven't seen the whole roster, and remember: the leaker already lied to us.
But...if he is out, I will do anything I can do for convincing Sakurai and Nintendo that We Want Snake as a DLC for Smash.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
This dlc movement is gonna be hard,while there are a lot of supporters, there are tons of haters too. I just hope sakurai heard kojima's comments and talked with him on being dlc.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
This dlc movement is gonna be hard,while there are a lot of supporters, there are tons of haters too. I just hope sakurai heard kojima's comments and talked with him on being dlc.
Snake to me seems like the best character to push DLC for Smash.
Third Party characters always do well there. In every fighting game with such that always ends up the best selling DLC.
The hype would be huge if they announce snake is back in DLC. Since so many will assumes he's done forever,

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Snake to me seems like the best character to push DLC for Smash.
Third Party characters always do well there. In every fighting game with such that always ends up the best selling DLC.
The hype would be huge if they announce snake is back in DLC. Since so many will assumes he's done forever,
I kinda have a gut feeling he will be dlc or in the game. Considering all these leaks, none of the characters will be a surprise, but if they have a trailer for snake, then they should show it, because no one expects him. His reveal would be a bigger surprise than ridley honestly. It could be like they did a e3, just show an animated trailer but no gameplay, and once he is ready, show his gameplay trailer. I'm sure Konami would be okay with it, couldn't they make money of this too? Having a big 3rd party character would help dlc sales. I have this gut feeling he will be in some form, but then again, it's a gut feeling and it does not mean much...

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6y3W-NjFEI*
Guys, This is the most painful thing for me to say. I think it's time we put Snake to rest! That leak is most likely true. I cant believe Sakurai would something like this to Konami/Kojima I hope Konami isn't sour about this and start bashing Nintendo like every other 3rd Party Company. Another thing that irks me is that Sakurai gave more priority to SEGA by letting Sonic return and not Snake (not that I have anything against sonic! look at my avatar!) it's just not right. I want to thank some of the Other User's that inspired/rolemodels to me that kept my hope alive @ HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss , @ CaptainCrisb CaptainCrisb , @ cmbsfm cmbsfm and finally last but not least @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A i just wanted to say thank you all. Me, @ HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss , @ Ekans647 Ekans647 and @ cmbsfm cmbsfm we have went out of our way defending Snake (you can see my great argument here http://smashboards.com/posts/17049300/)
I hope this doesn't end Sakurai's and Kojima's Friendship.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Guys, This is the most painful thing for me to say. I think it's time we put Snake to rest! That leak is most likely true. I cant believe Sakurai would something like this to Konami/Kojima I hope Konami isn't sour about this and start bashing Nintendo like every other 3rd Party Company. Another thing that irks me is that Sakurai gave more priority to SEGA by letting Sonic return and not Snake (not that I have anything against sonic! look at my avatar!) it's just not right. I want to thank some of the Other User's that inspired/rolemodels to me that kept my hope alive @ HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss , @ CaptainCrisb CaptainCrisb , @ cmbsfm cmbsfm and finally last but not least @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A i just wanted to say thank you all. Me, @ HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss , @ Ekans647 Ekans647 and @ cmbsfm cmbsfm we have went out of our way defending Snake (you can see my great argument here http://smashboards.com/posts/17049300/)
We can't end this until we know the DLC plans. There hasn't been a yes or a no about them.
The WiiU version needs more info and new characters there that will be DLC on 3DS can do just that.

I kinda have a gut feeling he will be dlc or in the game. Considering all these leaks, none of the characters will be a surprise, but if they have a trailer for snake, then they should show it, because no one expects him. His reveal would be a bigger surprise than ridley honestly. It could be like they did a e3, just show an animated trailer but no gameplay, and once he is ready, show his gameplay trailer. I'm sure Konami would be okay with it, couldn't they make money of this too? Having a big 3rd party character would help dlc sales. I have this gut feeling he will be in some form, but then again, it's a gut feeling and it does not mean much...
I agree I think were going to see him. I just hope it's not in trophy form. That will sting.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It obviously didn't. Some time after the roster was decided sakurai tweeted an image from the private metal gear solid anniversary event. It means he was invited.
If he was cut, it was probably either konami or nintendo's decision. They were probably in talks about it considering kojima never said anything about not being contacted and the miiverse debug menu lists metal gear solid in it.(It was probably cancelled if snake was cut)
I agree I think were going to see him. I just hope it's not in trophy form. That will sting.
It's sad that even rayman's series is getting some rep through a trophy. A whole series could be removed from smash! At least Ice climbers has some rep in smash run. All the potential content metal gear could have given us in this game.. praying for dlc snake..

Last edited:

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
Woah, bros, don't give up yet. This is like that level of Elite Beat Agents where everyones in prison, we just gotta wait a bit for him to come out of the ocean to dance. We gotta keep fighting, and by fighting I mean sitting at our computers and hoping that Sakurai did put Snake in.

Thread theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xoDlWEWrEg

Seriously though, why would Sakurai cut Snake? Sakurai is always against cutting characters, and the only thing Snake has going against him is the fact that MGSV isn't coming to Wii U, but Nintendo said they don't care about the other consoles. As long as theirs succeeds, they don't care. It's not like MGSV would even save the Wii U, since it would end up being one of the inferior versions.

I've regained my hope through the fact that Snake has no reason to be cut (other than the one listed above) There are too many reasons for him to stay.

1. Sakurai wants the game to be the #1 character game in the world
2. Snake has a unique moveset that couldn't be used by anyone else
3. Cutting Snake would mean that a whole franchise is cut
4. Snake brings other unique qualities (such as codecs with characters from his game. Sure, characters like Pit could have codec like easter eggs, but Snake's bring whole other characters to the table)
5. Snake is from and represents a rated M series, which no Nintendo character could replace. This kind of falls under #1 character game in the world
6. As far as we know, Kojima and Sakurai are friends.

The only two reasons I can think of causing Snake not to appear are
1. Nintendo though he was too violent
This is unlikely, as he was allowed in Brawl, which was intended for younger players then this game is. He also only uses explosives, all of which 99.9% of children cannot obtain, unlike a gun. I remember reading an interview right after E3 2006, where Sakurai stated that he was likely going to make Snake use only explosives, because he didn't want him to use guns, since those are in reach of some children (Interview is here http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=2576)

2. Kojima doesn't want Snake in because of Snake's VA and MGSV.
This is even more unlikely, as Kojima has stated he wants Snake in the new game. But, if Solid Snake is in MGSV, and David Hayter is voicing him, that means that this whole incident with David Hayter and MGSV was a lie to surprise the player when they play MGSV. For those of you who don't know, DH has always voiced Snake (Both Naked and Solid), but in MGSV, Naked Snake/Big Boss is voiced by Keifer Sutherland. This caused controversy, since DH has always been the iconic voice, and DH kind of made a big deal about it online, saying how he felt betrayed that they got KS to voice Snake instead.

However, people think that Solid Snake will be in MGSV as a surprise, since it also fits within the MGS timeline. People speculate that DH will be voicing SS, and Keifer will voice Big Boss/Naked Snake. Kojima has been known to pull these types of pranks on gamers, and may have told DH to make a big deal about it online to surprise people when they played the game. Kojima might not want Snake in yet because he doesn't want DH to voice Snake in Smash, as it might soften the surprise when people hear him in MGSV. I don't know why KS wouldn't voice Snake, but that might be because Snake would then have to be MGSV Snake, and the voice isn't as iconic as DH's.

Again, this is more unlikely, since Kojima himself asked Sakurai on stream to put Snake in, but maybe they both planned to add him in after MGSV is released, after the surprise, and after people realized DH was never actually angry about it.

But then again, maybe it was something as stupid as "He didn't fit." But I think Sakurai is smarter than that, and if it was "He didn't fit." it was probably from the higher ups at Nintendo. But even then, the higher ups at Nintendo don't give a **** about whether or not Snake is in. If anything, they would want him in to attract the MGS fans, which are some of the most dedicated fans of any fanbase. You can argue "Well, Snake being in is free advertising for MGSV, which isn't on Nintendo" but Nintendo doesn't care as long as they get their money. If someone buys Smash, then buys MGSV as a result of Smash, why would they care? They got their money, whatever happens afterwards is not their problem. If anything, it'll just strengthen their relationship with Konami.

But yeah, fight the powa.

Top Bottom