• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I should be the one crying. The fact this thread is giving up for the third time disappoints me. I'm tired of always having to raise morale here. The leaker said himself that even said himself that he didn't get the full roster. I personally believe the leak is fake.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So you guys are all giving up. Okay. I guess I have no reason to stick around here then.
We'd hang on if our fingers weren't dying!

... ! Where's the triangle button on this thing?! Snake? SNAKE?! SNAAAAAAKE!!!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Given that we still have five slots left (well, four, since the Mii Fighters aren't on that select screen), there's still a possibility in my opinion - while I've heard people say that the last four are Ridley, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, and the Chorus Kids, we have absolutely no proof of that at this point, and by my understanding, the leakers have made things up just to mess with people before.

I'm going to try to hold onto some hope here, or at least hope that he's DLC at some point down the line (after all, Nintendo seems to be more open to the idea, and it seems like a waste to get rid of a completely unique moveset with no other character using it).

Last edited:

Oatmealski

The Hero of Oatmeal (and chin beards too).
3DS FC
1821-9353-4818
I am a big fan of the MG series. I honestly cannot see returning Snake in SSB4 for numerous reasons.
  1. Last title Solid Snake was featured in under Nintendo was Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes which was released ten years ago. He has only been on a Nintendo console three times prior the release of Brawl. One of which, is not an official Metal Gear game.
  2. If Snake were to make it in Brawl it would probably be his Brawl counterpart returning instead of Old Snake or Big Boss, which does not represent his universe as well as having his newer and updated versions.
  3. Issues with Snake's new voice actor. Some might think this is a stupid reason, but Kojima had hired Kieffer Sutherland to do Big Boss' voice in Metal Gear Solid V, if they were to put in a Brawl version of Snake (Who is Solid Snake, not Big Boss) would they choose David Hayter, or would they choose Keiffer Sutherland? We know that Big Boss is being voiced by Kieffer, but how do we know if he is voicing Solid Snake also?
Just a few things to consider.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I am a big fan of the MG series. I honestly cannot see returning Snake in SSB4 for numerous reasons.
  1. Last title Solid Snake was featured in under Nintendo was Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes which was released ten years ago. He has only been on a Nintendo console three times prior the release of Brawl. One of which, is not an official Metal Gear game.
  2. If Snake were to make it in Brawl it would probably be his Brawl counterpart returning instead of Old Snake or Big Boss, which does not represent his universe as well as having his newer and updated versions.
  3. Issues with Snake's new voice actor. Some might think this is a stupid reason, but Kojima had hired Kieffer Sutherland to do Big Boss' voice in Metal Gear Solid V, if they were to put in a Brawl version of Snake (Who is Solid Snake, not Big Boss) would they choose David Hayter, or would they choose Keiffer Sutherland? We know that Big Boss is being voiced by Kieffer, but how do we know if he is voicing Solid Snake also?
Just a few things to consider.
1. Snake Eater 3d and the miiverse debug menu metal gear solid game. Why can't we have big boss? It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be solid
2. There is such thing as alternate costumes in this game you know
3. Although this has been discussed numerous times, we don't know if voice actor would be the SOLE reason he would be cut, they could just bring his Japanese voice actor instead like they do with marth.
But i'll be honest, I'd prefer your reasons as to why he is cut to be said officially rather than them saying he didnt fit.

Also @ billys_dad billys_dad wating till MGS5 releases for snake would be a loooooooooooong time, I can't wait that long..

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
"NO CRYIING UNTIL THE END"
>Begin<

Something about that leak just "rubs me the wrong way" Come on really the Ice Climbers being cut, They had that problem fixed since the Rosalina & Luma Reveal. Now about Snake being DLC, I say they approached Konami and SEGA in regards of Snake and Sonic before they started development. Seriously why bring back Sonic and not Snake, Sonic should have no priority over Snake, What gives Sonic the rights to be on the disk and Snake some last minute DLC that's not fair in my book! They had enough time to develop them both.

Most Leakers try to make their leaks as realistic as possible and "bandwagons" with others. For Example @LIQUIDFGC and 50+ want Jigglypuff to be cut, More n likely the "Leaker" is not going to include Jigglypuff in there "Leaked" Roster. People think Snake and Lucas are cut that's the reason you don't see Snake & Lucas on "Leaked" Cause people wont believe it.

Sakurai is most likely going to either De-bunk or Support this leak tomorrow in the POTD. I going to hold out for a little longer at until a another Nintendo Direct is announced.

If Snake is somehow not in the game i would say there would be a trophy of him. Sakurai wouldn't do us
2. Kojima doesn't want Snake in because of Snake's VA and MGSV.
This is even more unlikely, as Kojima has stated he wants Snake in the new game. But, if Solid Snake is in MGSV, and David Hayter is voicing him, that means that this whole incident with David Hayter and MGSV was a lie to surprise the player when they play MGSV. For those of you who don't know, DH has always voiced Snake (Both Naked and Solid), but in MGSV, Naked Snake/Big Boss is voiced by Keifer Sutherland. This caused controversy, since DH has always been the iconic voice, and DH kind of made a big deal about it online, saying how he felt betrayed that they got KS to voice Snake instead.
David Hayter is "Practically Begging" to voice Snake again after all he was going to voice Snake in that Metal Gear Fan Remake! So why couldn't they bring him back to Voice Snake in Super Smash Brothers. I really don't think Kiefer Sutherland Voice would fit Solid Snake or in the Smash Brothers Universe.

So you guys are all giving up. Okay. I guess I have no reason to stick around here then.
"No need for you to go just yet"

1. Snake Eater 3d and the miiverse debug menu metal gear solid game. Why can't we have big boss? It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be solid
Yes. It has to be Solid. the Snake in Brawl was a Hybrid of Solid/Naked

We'd hang on if our fingers weren't dying!

... ! Where's the triangle button on this thing?! Snake? SNAKE?! SNAAAAAAKE!!!
That's the Spirit that's the Snake i remember (Welcome to Smashboards)

"NOW GO LET THE THREAD COME BACK TO LIFE"

Don't be lazy people READ THIS!!!!!

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I always believe in snake. I just adjust my expectations accordingly on news.
Better to be thinking it's unlikely and be surprised then dead set on it and be more disappointed.
My image earlier is just a general thing waiting on whenever he decides to show up. Plus as said we have the chance he could still be hidden or DLC since nothing has been said about that. My money now is on DLC but that's still a chance for our favorite soldier to retutn. I still have a odd feeling he'll be in the WiiU version and then DLC for the 3DS version. Though that's just what my gut wants.

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
David Hayter is "Practically Begging" to voice Snake again after all he was going to voice Snake in that Metal Gear Fan Remake! So why couldn't they bring him back to Voice Snake in Super Smash Brothers. I really don't think Kiefer Sutherland Voice would fit Solid Snake or in the Smash Brothers Universe.
That's the thing though. He's begging to come back, he's making a big deal about not voicing Snake, which is why people think he is voicing Solid Snake in MGSV. People think Solid Snake will make an appearance in MGSV since it takes place around the time Big Boss turned into a "villain", and that Snake will either appear being trained by Big Boss, or at the very end of the game when the original Metal Gear takes place, which would close the loop in the timeline. People think Solid Snake will be voiced by David Hayter, and that Kojima wanted Hayter to make a big deal about it so that it's even more surprising when SS does appear in the game. If DH voiced Snake in the new Smash, it would be less surprising when he appears in MGSV. We know Liquid Snake is going to appear, so Solid Snake probably will, too.

I also think that this leak is real. I'm almost certain the pictures and videos are real, but I think Snake still has a chance. The leaker apparently said that Snake is cut, but maybe he's just not in yet.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean planned DLC that was being worked on during development by Sakurai and Kojima, and added in for free a little after MGSV is released. Writing this out makes me feel like this is very unlikely, and in a few months I will probably laugh at the thought of this, but for now, I have hope.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
That's more like it guys! That's the Snake thread I know.
"No need for you to go just yet"
I know that's a MGS quote, I just don't where it's from. Sorry I was so angry earlier...

In the unlikely even Snake doesn't make it in, I wan this kid to make in his place.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I'm not "giving up", but I think it's a good idea to go ahead and adjust our expectations here. We have received "THE" leak, at long last, and while there are up to five characters that are still uncertain, none of the legitimate leakers have named Snake as one of them. Trust me, nobody wants Snake in Sm4sh more than I do, and I think we absolutely should petition Nintendo and Konami to put him back in as DLC, or to at least explain why he was excluded. I think if character DLC comes, Snake has a good chance of returning that way. But I think the evidence that he is not on disc is pretty iron clad at this point.

HOWEVER... Everybody is pretty sure that the Ice Climbers are done for, and we've seen multiple pictures of a Polar Bear enemy in Smash Run. So the popular interpretation of these leaks may not be totally accurate, or there may be a lot more to the picture. The MGS4 composer from Brawl is confirmed to be working on the game as well, and I still think that's some of the strongest evidence we've gotten for Snake's return. So there is still a tiny glimmer of hope. Just don't set yourself up to get heartbroken. I'm going to assume he's out so I can be pleasantly surprised if he comes back after all.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
That's more like it guys! That's the Snake thread I know.

I know that's a MGS quote, I just don't where it's from. Sorry I was so angry earlier...

In the unlikely even Snake doesn't make it in, I wan this kid to make in his place.
Ending of MGS4. Where Snake was going to commit suicide and Big Boss said "No need for you to go just yet!"

Last edited:

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
If I could trade Wario for Snake I would guys.....

LOL JK I wouldn't go that far.

No.. thats really ****ed up.

Seriously, Im sorry for your loss :(

Ill leave you with this, replace Marylin Monroe with Snake, and you have his swan song

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Leak seems to be pretty solid at this point.

I would be completely fine with the overall roster if the original DLC leak is true.
I would be happy with that roster... As long as the fix Bowser Jrs placement. Having yoshi separate the franchise is just weird to me.

I honestly have no idea why on earth they would cut ice climbers.
That almost makes me more sad than losing Snake.
They have been a staple of the series since Melee.

If it is indeed true that Snake is out, some theories that may give hope:

- Snake released as DLC to promote MGS5 closer to that release.
- Possible that Sakurai heard Kojimas request and started the character a bit later.

We won't know until we are told or the game comes out. If the leakers didn't have access to all the characters, then he could be there. Maybe as an unlock.

Also not sure if rights would be more of an issue for DLC, would Konami get some of the dineros for every transaction? To keep the character as DLC on the store would they have to keep on renewing the license?

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The thing that is going to suck the most is the a**holes that are going to be saying "haha Snake isn't in Smash 4 I knew it, he doesn't fit, he shouldn't be in Smash Bros hehe".

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
The thing that is going to suck the most is the a**holes that are going to be saying "haha Snake isn't in Smash 4 I knew it, he doesn't fit, he shouldn't be in Smash Bros hehe".
My god, I'm dreading that, should it happen. Most of them will get warnings or strikes, but that won't stop them. However the condolences so far have been nice, but a little too early. ;)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I want Snake in Smash 4 more than any other character. ;_;

My idea towards anyone who thinks that Snake doesn't belong in Smash because isn't important to Nintendo history is that although he might not be important to Nintendo, he's important to Smash Bros because he was the first guest character. It just seems wrong to cut him out.

Also, I don't know if this has been discussed in here but Kiefer Sutherland claimed he was in Mortal Kombat X, but Ed Boon recently deconfirmed that. What if Sutherland was "old manning" it up & thought Smash was MK just because it was a fighting game?

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I

Also, I don't know if this has been discussed in here but Kiefer Sutherland claimed he was in Mortal Kombat X, but Ed Boon recently deconfirmed that. What if Sutherland was "old manning" it up & thought Smash was MK just because it was a fighting game?
Is Reuben also becoming an old man? Still if Sutherland was actually in the game... wouldn't that rise the price of it?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
IMO, the Voice Acting thing isn't important as we think. If there is any kind of problem, they could just cut codecs and re-use his clips from Brawl.
(They are doing this for Ness since Smash 64).

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Also, if Konami can afford to pay Kiefer Sutherland, then Nintendo definitely can. I doubt his rates are as extravagant as you'd think.

**** THAT THOUGH, HAYTER SNAKE IS ONLY SNAKE!

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
At this point I kinda don't care who voices him so long as he makes it in.
Without the codec calls it's not like he talks a lot in game anyway.

MathewRYF

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathewRYF
Actually, if you re-position the fighter icons in the leaked roster and leave the random Icon, there's enough space for 6 more characters. Also, the Stage selections screen has enough space for one more stage. Combined with the fact that All-Star Mode is locked, there still is hope for other fighters to return. Take a look at all of the recent leaks, and notice that none of them have a consistent concept of who the final characters are, nor how many are left. Snake may still have a glimmer of hope, we just have to wait and see.
Honestly if it wasn't for Smash I would have never learned who Snake, or even any of these characters were. Heck, Melee was the first game I ever played, and the only character I recognized was Pikachu. Without Melee, I wouldn't even be here...

darthnazgul

Smash Cadet
NNID
darthnzgul
With as many grains of salt that I've had to take with all the rumours in this thread, I might just have a heart attack.

That Squirtle and Ivysaur not returning seems pretty obvious, given how Charizard was announced. Still a shame though.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I just found this. No-idea if this is real or not.

Personally I consider the CSS leak and the video leak to be two separate leaks. My rule for leaks that unless accidentally leaked from an official source (i.e. Mega Slowbro leak, video leak) all leaks are false until proven true, however that doesn't cause them not to be believable. Truth and belief of a leak are two separate things, so I each rate them on that.

@ darthnazgul darthnazgul I noticed the Who. Great to have another whovian on-broad. ;)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I just found this. No-idea if this is real or not.

Yeah, no. I don't see the Ice Climbers part happening. Reducing the character to one fighter instead of two would be such a stupid thing to do.

MathewRYF

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathewRYF
The full roster hasn't been unlocked by even the leakers, so none of them can say for certain what changes have been made to the Ice Climbers, nor can they confidently say who's left.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea how to feel on the worst case scenario of Snake not being in SSB4 at all even as DLC.
Do I want him to at least be represented as a trophy to remind us of the time he was with us or nothing at so that the acceptance of his cut is easier to take.

All I know if Sakurai didn't want to have a heart attack like he says he almost feels like whenever he cuts someone.
Snake better return to the fight somehow.

Oatmealski

The Hero of Oatmeal (and chin beards too).
3DS FC
1821-9353-4818
2. There is such thing as alternate costumes in this game you know
3. Although this has been discussed numerous times, we don't know if voice actor would be the SOLE reason he would be cut, they could just bring his Japanese voice actor instead like they do with marth.
But i'll be honest, I'd prefer your reasons as to why he is cut to be said officially rather than them saying he didnt fit.

Also @ billys_dad billys_dad wating till MGS5 releases for snake would be a loooooooooooong time, I can't wait that long..
True, I forgot Snake Eater 3D. But still, I think Kojima and Sakurai would both agree that they should put the most updated incarnation of Snake (Big Boss/Solid Snake) to promote his game series. Snake being in Brawl has caused A LOT of confusion to those who don't play the series already.

Solid Snake

Naked Snake (Big Boss)

Now, just mixing the two characters and calling it "Snake" and then briefly noting in trophy descriptions, stickers, ect that he is really SOLID Snake is what confuses people even more. Now you have people calling Big Boss, Solid Snake and vice-versa.

Top Bottom