• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Oatmealski

The Hero of Oatmeal (and chin beards too).
3DS FC
1821-9353-4818
IMO, the Voice Acting thing isn't important as we think. If there is any kind of problem, they could just cut codecs and re-use his clips from Brawl.
(They are doing this for Ness since Smash 64).
Ness in SSB64 sound drastically different from Melee and Brawl Ness. Even though they share the same voice actor.

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
The news about MK 8 DLC definitely brings my hopes up. I know Sakurai stated that he hasn't even thought about DLC yet, but he previously stated that he is fine with DLC when it's handled like Fallout 3's DLC. He even name dropped that particular game, which was pretty cool.

If Snake isn't in, how great would it be if the Duck Hunt Dog took his moveset? Throwing explosive ducks instead of grenades, burying explosive ducks, guiding explosive ducks throw the air like Snake's missle launcher- I know it would never happen, but it would honestly soften the blow since we would keep the moveset, and you could just imagine Sakurai's smug smile when he told his team that they were going to port over Snake's moveset.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The news about MK 8 DLC definitely brings my hopes up. I know Sakurai stated that he hasn't even thought about DLC yet, but he previously stated that he is fine with DLC when it's handled like Fallout 3's DLC. He even name dropped that particular game, which was pretty cool.
Where?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
If Snake isn't in, how great would it be if the Duck Hunt Dog took his moveset? Throwing explosive ducks instead of grenades, burying explosive ducks, guiding explosive ducks throw the air like Snake's missle launcher- I know it would never happen, but it would honestly soften the blow since we would keep the moveset, and you could just imagine Sakurai's smug smile when he told his team that they were going to port over Snake's moveset.
HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING. That would never work because the other half of Snake's Moveset is CQC.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING. That would never work because the other half of Snake's Moveset is CQC.
duck hunt dog using cqc?
Lol I actually wouldn't be that mad, that would be a sight to see.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
not saying I want that, I just thought it would be funny to see.

Only snake can and should use cqc.

billys_dad

Smash Apprentice
He said it in an interview with Nintendo Power, I think it was the one with Kid Icarus Uprising on the cover.

duck hunt dog using cqc?
Lol I actually wouldn't be that mad, that would be a sight to see.
Exactly. Now, I'm not saying I want Duck Hunt Dog to take over for Snake, buuuuuuuuuut if Snake were to not return, I would be okay with his moveset living on in what would be the most ridiculous character to have it.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
He said it in an interview with Nintendo Power, I think it was the one with Kid Icarus Uprising on the cover.

Exactly. Now, I'm not saying I want Duck Hunt Dog to take over for Snake, buuuuuuuuuut if Snake were to not return, I would be okay with his moveset living on in what would be the most ridiculous character to have it.
I think there is potential for the duck hunt dog's moveset. I hope he has new one, I'm craving a new unique moveset.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think there is potential for the duck hunt dog's moveset. I hope he has new one, I'm craving a new unique moveset.
He is a strange character to choose, it'll be interesting to see how he is implemented.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I hate talk of any character not appearing in the next Smash Bros and having someone else take their move set. Imagine in Melee if Ganondorf was a clone of Captain Falcon, but Captain Falcon didn't return. It's a slap in the face.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Ive been kinda quiet for a day or two. Taking the leaks into consideration, i can understand why many are disheartened, i mean weve suffered nothing but that for a long time now. As many have said at this point its a matter of adjusting expectations, possibly dealing with the worst, but still not without hope.

And i have seen many lose hope completely, things are probably the darkest they have ever been (i feel like i say that alot). But even with the leak possibly leading to an outcome we might not like....

I aint giving up, not by a longshot!!

With a few characters still unknown, and a DLC campaign always possible. We will not sit by and let this end, even if we have to bug the living crap out of kojima and sakurai to the point where they get sick of us. They will know, and we will be heard because locking out a character as excellent as snake with everything he brought to brawl is a crime. I dont intend to give up, because if theres a chance, there is a way. Even if we have to become something more to survive...

We will forsake our countries, we will leave our Mother Lands behind us and become one with this Earth. We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology, we go where we're needed, fighting not for country, not for Government, but for ourselves. We need no reason to fight, we fight because we are needed. We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse. We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the time demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists. And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home. Our Heaven, and our Hell.

This, is Outer Heaven.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
I know some of you guys don't know me, but I read each and every post on this thread every day, guys don't give up! I'm not gonna give up hope any time soon, and you guys shouldn't either! It's not over unless sakurai says he isn't coming back

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ive been kinda quiet for a day or two. Taking the leaks into consideration, I can understand why many are disheartened, i mean weve suffered nothing but that for a long time now. As many have said at this point its a matter of adjusting expectations, possibly dealing with the worst, but still not without hope.

And i have seen many lose hope completely, things are probably the darkest they have ever been (i feel like i say that alot). But even with the leak possibly leading to an outcome we might not like....

I aint giving up, not by a longshot!!

With a few characters still unknown, and a DLC campaign always possible. We will not sit by and let this end, even if we have to bug the living crap out of kojima and sakurai to the point where they get sick of us. They will know, and we will be heard because locking out a character as excellent as snake with everything he brought to brawl is a crime. I dont intend to give up, because if theres a chance, there is a way. Even if we have to become something more to survive...

We will forsake our countries, we will leave our Mother Lands behind us and become one with this Earth. We have no nation, no philosophy, no ideology, we go where we're needed, fighting not for country, not for Government, but for ourselves. We need no reason to fight, we fight because we are needed. We will be the deterrent for those with no other recourse. We are soldiers without borders, our purpose defined by the Era we live in; we will sometimes have to sell ourselves and services. If the time demand it, we'll be revolutionaries, criminals, terrorists. And yes, we may all be headed straight to Hell, but what better place for us than this? It is our only home. Our Heaven, and our Hell.

This, is Outer Heaven.
You know what bugs me?
Why the hell Is Shulk beside all the 3rd party characters in the CSS leak when he's 1st party? I mean shouldn't that place be reserved for another character?

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Why is Snake almost never mentioned among other Smash fans? Every time I see this leak I see people say "oh my god the Ice Climbers are gone? Why Sakurai? Lucas and Wolf were my mains! Also were is Mewtwo?"

Then it is even worse when I see talks of DLC character. People will list of Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and then a bunch of other wishlist choices like Lloyd that won't happen. No Snake, why do fans try to ignore this character so much? He has already been playable in a Smash game!

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
You know what bugs me?
Why the hell Is Shulk beside all the 3rd party characters in the CSS leak when he's 1st party? I mean shouldn't that place be reserved for another character?
The Xeno- games aren't Nintendo exclusive. Monolith Soft became a first-party Nintendo developer, but the past games are still "universal" or multiplatform in a sense. The first Xeno- game was Xenogears for the PSone - before Monolith Soft was in existence, but the director and probably the founding team was there -, followed by the Xenosaga trilogy - was supposed to be a six-part game, but that never happened due to sales -, and now is continued by the Xenoblade Chronicles games. Monolith Soft also made the Baten Kaitos games.

In a way, a similar situation would be Insomniac Games. Of the Playstation 2 trio: Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper, only two of them were made by first-party developers; Naughty Dog made Jak & Daxter and Sucker Punch made Sly Cooper. Ratchet & Clank are, however, a first-party game, but Insomniac Games isn't a first-party developer. Recently, they made Fuse - originally Overstrike - which was published by EA for the PS3 and Xbox 360 and are developing Sunset Overdrive for the Xbox One.

Insomniac Games' situation is a "third-party developer & first-party franchise" while Monolith Soft's is a "first-party developer & third-party franchise".

My gripe about Shulk besides not liking him for no reason - same feeling with Marth; don't ask why - is that he in no way represents the Xeno- series (to me). He does represent Xenoblade Chronicles, but not the new Xenoblade Chronicles X or whatever its name is. I would have liked a past Xeno- character to appear, but that leads to an issue with whether or not Square Enix still owns the Xenogears series and refuses to let go for whatever stupid reason like Capcom still owning the rights to Godhand, Okami, Megaman, and more, but do nothing about those series. Namco Bandai might still own the rights to the Xenosaga series, which is funny and would be easier for a Xenosaga character to make it in.

Xenogears' characters.

Whenever I think of Xeno-, I think of Xenosaga's KOS-MOS. She's a gynoid - androids are male - who seems like she can equip armor and weapons like Cyborg from DC or other cybernetic or robotic characters. She kind of reminds me of Mokoto Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell. Oh, guns? Yeah, she can use swords too or laser beams if guns aren't acceptable to Super Smash Bros. Point is: she's much more interesting to me than Shulk, the sloppy swordsman and researcher as someone confirmed. She's a freaking walking armory! What's not to like?

Also, she and a Xenogears character would be considered those obscure and/or retro characters. Imagine the surprise and delight of Xenogears and Xenosaga fans! What if it starts a revolution that causes their revival?! Imagine the joy Monolith Soft's team would feel! Two ambitious games get another chance! And Nintendo gets to keep them and draw more people to their systems!

Welp, I hope I didn't turn Snake's thread into a KOS-MOS fan club retreat. :grin:

Last edited:

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
Not sure why you are griping over shulk in this thread he didn't steal Kos-mos spot if anything it was Pacman, she had little to no chance of being in this game over Namco's mascot.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Any of you guys that were here in the Brawl days, how did people react to Snake then?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Not sure why you are griping over shulk in this thread he didn't steal Kos-mos spot if anything it was Pacman, she had little to no chance of being in this game over Namco's mascot.
We are not hating on shulk, we're just curious to know why he's by the 3rd parties. I'm excited that shulk is in this game.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I never said anything about anyone taking KOS-MOS or a Xenogears character's place. I only mentioned her as an alternative to Shulk and that I would prefer her or a Xenogears character over Shulk. Super Smash Bros. often includes obscure and/or retro characters, which is why I'd like her or a Xenogear character to appear since they're obscure and/or retro. I also like seeing Megaman, Pac-Man, Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, Pit, Ness, Lucas, Marth, Roy, and Ike. Their appearances increased awareness of past games and sometimes even lead to a revival like Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem.

While it's a nice surprise if she'd make it in, but few people are even aware of the Xeno- series aside from Xenoblade Chronicles. The past Xeno- games were in the dark ages of the internet. It's a reason why Mother/Earthbound didn't sell well since only magazine reviewers shared their opinion while others - fellow gamers - couldn't or didn't know how to give their own views on it. I only knew Xenosaga existed from browsing Gamestop as a kid. KOS-MOS has a much of chance as Sora from Kingdom Hearts and he's famous compared to KOS-MOS. Hell, Kazuya, Jin, or Heihachi have bigger chances since Namco could beg for one of their Tekken stars to get in.

But did many people even know about Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Mother/Earthbound, Ice Climbers, or even F-Zero back then? Probably not, but people have some idea because of Super Smash Bros..

The reason I posted stuff about Xeno- series is to give a reason for Shulk's placement. Xeno- games aren't Nintendo exclusive, only Xenoblade Chronicles and X are along with Monolith Soft becoming a first-party developer. In a way, Shulk is a first-party character from a third-party franchise.

Oh, and as for me not liking Shulk. I just don't like him. Period. There's no rhyme or reason why I don't like him. It's the same thing with Marth even after I learned about him in Shadow Dragon and his legacy in Fire Emblem: Awakening. I bet that I could play Xenoblade Chronicles - if I could ever find a copy not $70 - 10 times and I would still dislike Shulk. I don't like Sora, I don't like Vaan from Final Fantasy XII, and I don't like Roy from Fire Emblem. That never ever means I won't play as them in whatever game they show up. I will defend them as protagonists - Sora's an idiot hero, Vaan's unnecessary, and Roy sucked due to game design. I just don't like them. It's trivial, hence, gripe.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
IIRC Shulk is first party since Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Any of you guys that were here in the Brawl days, how did people react to Snake then?
Not on this board specifically, but I don't recall there being as much negativity surrounding his inclusion. People seem to range from curious to hyped, and I don't think there was this sense of "injustice" at him being in the game that people have now. If anything he served as a means of opening the game up to other 3rd parties. There was always naysayers of course, but I don't remember people ******** as much about it as they do now.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
We are not hating on shulk, we're just curious to know why he's by the 3rd parties. I'm excited that shulk is in this game.
My post wasn't directed at you guys it was directed at the poster who brought up Kos-mos
IIRC Shulk is first party since Monolith Soft is owned by Nintendo.
Thank you captain obvious but I already knew that
I never said anything about anyone taking KOS-MOS or a Xenogears character's place. I only mentioned her as an alternative to Shulk and that I would prefer her or a Xenogears character over Shulk. Super Smash Bros. often includes obscure and/or retro characters, which is why I'd like her or a Xenogear character to appear since they're obscure and/or retro. I also like seeing Megaman, Pac-Man, Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, Pit, Ness, Lucas, Marth, Roy, and Ike. Their appearances increased awareness of past games and sometimes even lead to a revival like Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem.

While it's a nice surprise if she'd make it in, but few people are even aware of the Xeno- series aside from Xenoblade Chronicles.
the problem here is you are assuming that Shulk represents the entirety of the Xeno series he doesn't, because those games are unrelated to each other the Xenosaga has no connections to Xenoblade the only thing they have in common is the name Xeno.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
Not on this board specifically, but I don't recall there being as much negativity surrounding his inclusion. People seem to range from curious to hyped, and I don't think there was this sense of "injustice" at him being in the game that people have now. If anything he served as a means of opening the game up to other 3rd parties. There was always naysayers of course, but I don't remember people *****ing as much about it as they do now.
I can attest to this; well kind of. I lurked around on the Brawl boards on GameFAQS back around 2009, and I don't recall much hate directed towards Snake then. Although this may be due to the fact that Brawl had been released for about a year; which means most people that were disappointed with the roster left or got over it, people still alluded to the initial disappointment of the roster regularly. I saw jokes made about R.O.B., Lucario, and the clones/semiclones/whateveryouwanttocallthem, but I don't recall any major negativity towards Snake's inclusion. Then again, this was 5 years ago so my memory is bound to be fuzzy on the specifics.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
Anyway now that discussion is back to snake you guys are right I don't remember there being much hate for snake during the brawl days. Then again what could detractors really say he was already in the game, any point against snake was moot during those days.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
the problem here is you are assuming that Shulk represents the entirety of the Xeno series he doesn't, because those games are unrelated to each other the Xenosaga has no connections to Xenoblade the only thing they have in common is the name Xeno.
Well, sorry for implying that. My first post was just to clarify Shulk's and Xenoblade Chronicles's position; Shulk's a first-party character because he's from a first-party game by a first-party developer, however, Xenoblade Chronicles is considered a Xeno- game just like how all Final Fantasy games are a franchise despite them having no relation to each other unless otherwise specified. Shulk's the face of Xenoblade Chronicles and KOS-MOS is the face of Xenosaga. As an entire series, nobody can represent it unlike say, Final Fantasy where you could say the Chocobo is the face of Final Fantasy or that Mario is the face of well, Mario.

Anyway, after that clarification, it went onto my own feelings about Shulk. That's all.

It would be nice, though, to have a past and present character represent a franchise. Marth and Roy have no relations besides being from the same franchise. Marth was the past of Fire Emblem from his game: Shadow Dragon, and Roy was the new person - at the time - from Sealing Sword. Similarly, Ike, Lucina, and Robin do the same thing.

On topic: I played Metal Gear Solid 3 before Brawl, so I liked him or rather, his "son" since the beginning. His inclusion was just a nice touch.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wonder what Nobuko Toda is composing in smash if snake isn't in the game at launch.

I miss super mario bros z
I've been wondering something else just thought I'd bring it up. Why is Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina so far away from their other respective franchise characters? Dr. Mario I get but why Lucina and Dark Pit? It's making me think that the leak doesn't show every character, I'm grasping at straws here but it's one of those things that's been really bothering me.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I've been wondering something else just thought I'd bring it up. Why is Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina so far away from their other respective franchise characters? Dr. Mario I get but why Lucina and Dark Pit? It's making me think that the leak doesn't show every character, I'm grasping at straws here but it's one of those things that's been really bothering me.
I believe the leaked roster is fake, regardless of the other videos, as I consider them a separate leak. There are so many inconsistencies with the roster leak it's hard to take seriously.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I think its mainly that since all the characters arent unlocked, the roster hasnt shifted to its final shape where in those characters would be in the right place after.

----
On a side note

"with Dark Pit and Bowser Jr being playable, I got everything I wanted from Sakurai.

If Snake is cut, then this is my ideal game." - dedekong

It just kills me that this filth might get everything he wanted if that leak turns out real. Just..ugh

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I think its mainly that since all the characters arent unlocked, the roster hasnt shifted to its final shape where in those characters would be in the right place after.

----
On a side note

"with Dark Pit and Bowser Jr being playable, I got everything I wanted from Sakurai.

It just kills me that this filth might get everything he wanted if that leak turns out real. Just..ugh
Why does this guy want Snake cut. Did Snake kill his mother or something?! I don't know why people want Bowser Jr. in the first place, I mean he plays a few secondary roles in the mario's games because he never really interested me and honestly, he's not that important in the grand scheme of things.
What really gets me is as to why LoZ doesn't have or get another rep, four compared to Mario's... close to six or so? Not counting Yoshi, Wario and DK characters which are all technically mario characters too.
I do think that roster isn't in its final shape, we have more to find out, lets hope that's a Snake...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
----
On a side note

Lol that guy just rehashed arguments against snake that we debunked here.
"Snakes origins are sony" Just goes to show you that many snake haters don't know anything about the metal gear franchise.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
If hope tomorrow Direct will be hosted for the West, so we will finally get an answer about our mercenary!
That is your great chance, Snake. Don't ruin it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom