• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
It's all about how you want to look at it.
We really won't know anything until we get a confirmation or deconfirmation. Don't see the issue for those of us who want to root for his return.
Since as others have said even with what you're bringing to the table, he still sits at a 50/50 chance.
It's not about how you want to look at it. I don't care how I look at it. "Want" suggests bias. You're bias and really want him back. I'm not. I'm just going by the facts. ;P

You shouldn't let wants influence your reasoning. :)

Also no, his chances won't be 50/50. Just because something is debatable doesn't mean everyone is equal in the debate. Just because you cannot predict doesn't mean someone isn't using superior logic and the chances are 50/50. That makes no sense. That's an overly touchy feely way of thinking which has no basis in reality.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
It's not about how you want to look at it. I don't care how I look at it. "Want" suggests bias. You're bias and really want him back. I'm not. I'm just going by the facts. ;P

Also no, his chances won't be 50/50. Just because something is debatable doesn't mean everyone is equal in the debate. Just because you cannot predict doesn't mean someone isn't using superior logic and the chances are 50/50. That makes no sense. That's an overly touchy feely way of thinking which has no basis in reality.
*facepalm* I give up with you, you're clearly not understanding our points. You can keep your opinion, and we'll keep ours. But, I'd recommend reading this just before you leave: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68994219

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000

Mega Man has continually been on Nintendo consoles and handhelds in one form or another. Often with re-releases or in another form (another Mega Man). And of course I count VC releases but I also combine them with other releases. Metal Gear doesn't even compare. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mega_Man_video_games
Snake Has been on Nintendo Console's and Has A Strong Relationship with Nintendo too I don't see why he wont return
1) Kojima is Close Friends with Sakurai
2) Miyamoto Helped Develop Twin Snakes. Miyamoto is Sorta like a Mentor to Kojima
Sure Snake may not have as many games as Megaman on Nintendo Platforms
NES
Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Gameboy Color
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel (Considered one of the best Color Games of all time)
Gamecube
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (The Superior Version Of MGS. With Miyamoto as a Director)
Metal Gear (Famicom version included in a special bundle of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes in Japan)
Dreammix TV World Fighters (Playable Fighter Along with Bomberman Other Konami Fighters)
DS
New International Track and Field (As a Playable Character Along with Simon Belmont)
Wii
Metal Gear (MSX2 version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2 version)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (As A Fighter)
3DS
Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater ( Yoshi Dolls Can Be Shaken and if "You Shake All Of Them Something Good Will Happen" and There is Yoshi Camo)
Don't Forget About Yoshi Appearing in Metal Gear Games

Pretty Strong Relationship Nintendo and Metal Gear Has Right
And The Snake Eater 3D Bundle

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Snake Has been on Nintendo Console's and Has A Strong Relationship with Nintendo too I don't see why he wont return
1) Kojima is Close Friends with Sakurai
2) Miyamoto Helped Develop Twin Snakes. Miyamoto is Sorta like a Mentor to Kojima
Sure Snake may not have as many games as Megaman on Nintendo Platforms
NES
Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Gameboy Color
Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel (Considered one of the best Color Games of all time)
Gamecube
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (The Superior Version Of MGS. With Miyamoto as a Director)
Metal Gear (Famicom version included in a special bundle of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes in Japan)
Dreammix TV World Fighters (Playable Fighter Along with Bomberman Other Konami Fighters)
DS
New International Track and Field (As a Playable Character Along with Simon Belmont)
Wii
Metal Gear (MSX2 version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2 version)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (As A Fighter)
3DS
Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater ( Yoshi Dolls Can Be Shaken and if "You Shake All Of Them Something Good Will Happen" and There is Yoshi Camo)
Don't Forget About Yoshi Appearing in Metal Gear Games

Pretty Strong Relationship Nintendo and Metal Gear Has Right
Oh man! I forgot about those other ones! XD

I checked out your posts. It appears you're pretty biased against characters. Like Mewtwo and Dr. Mario. And then you tend to pull the "opinion" thing when you're caught in a situation. Kinda hypocritical if you ask me. Even I don't go around telling people "he's not in cause of this" and then being proven wrong and then saying "well, you just want him in because that's your opinion" when there's clear evidence as to why they're in or not. Even as a Snake fan myself, it's hard to view it as 50/50. But it is. And I think most people here on this thread can agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The thing i think most people who dont want him back tend to do is make up evidence for his exclusion. When there is no indication or these so called "facts" that sakurai would even go by their fan criteria when hes gone against many things even in the past. Its like when many claim a series requires a set amount of reps, or if the game needs its retro rep, when there has never been anything that suggests sakurai sees it in that way or bases his decisions around that. Sure you can call me biased for snakes return absolutely, but im certainly not going to deny that he has an uphill battle and may not return. But the people against him are trying to use what they call evidence based on what their perception is of the situation, sakurai is not going to count games or current standings, thats far too petty and hes even gone on record saying he doesnt care about fan console wars so he would not let that obstruct his view of snakes inclusion. Unless he says his reasons we will never know, which will probably suck if hes not in since those fools who made up their reasons for him getting cut will just assume they were right in thinking that. And the worst part is that the things they use against snake are flawed, and when presented with games like MGS3D they claim they dont count because its a port or some other such BS.

I just wish people could view snake with out their nintendo Purist goggles on, and for what he brings to the game as an icon and game character

I have a dream!!

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Here's Moveset For Solid Snake
Neutral Special - Hand Grenade (Explode Much Faster Than in Brawl)
Side Special- Remote Missile
Up Special- Cypher (It Has A Electric Filed Around Snake)
Down Special- C4
Up Smash- Mortar
Side Smash- Knife
Down Smash- Land Mine
Up Tilt- Upper Cut
Side Taunt- Contacts Colonial, Otacon , Mie Ling, Raiden (Random Mission Accomplished)
Down Taunt- Cardboard Box

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Here's Moveset For Solid Snake
Neutral Special - Hand Grenade (Explode Much Faster Than in Brawl)
Side Special- Remote Missile
Up Special- Cypher (It Has A Electric Filed Around Snake)
Down Special- C4
Up Smash- Mortar
Side Smash- Knife
Down Smash- Land Mine
Up Tilt- Upper Cut
Side Taunt- Contacts Colonial, Otacon , Mie Ling, Raiden (Random Mission Accomplished)
Down Taunt- Cardboard Box
The biggest thing Snake needs is taunts.
It was really odd that a character inclusion with so much love had some half ass taunts.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I found an interview with Sakurai that seems to increase Snake's chances (at the very least, it shows that the people behind the game don't buy the argument that he doesn't fit in, and that Sakurai has no regrets about adding the two third party characters, which is always a good sign).

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...Snake-and-Sonic/2-Snake-and-Sonic-226172.html

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I found an interview with Sakurai that seems to increase Snake's chances (at the very least, it shows that the people behind the game don't buy the argument that he doesn't fit in, and that Sakurai has no regrets about adding the two third party characters, which is always a good sign).

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...Snake-and-Sonic/2-Snake-and-Sonic-226172.html
While that is for Brawl definietely sort of debunks the whole "Nintendo History" and what not argument people try to throw around.
Can't believe I never saw this interview before.

lami

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna post my love and support for our boy Snake. <3

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
The biggest thing Snake needs is taunts.
It was really odd that a character inclusion with so much love had some half *** taunts.
Don't you know that Snake is known for sneaking around? The Halberd mission is an example of that and bringing attention to himself and practically telling the enemy "Here I am shoot me!" While Snake's taunts may not exactly be interesting, they're perfect for his characterization. Everyone else tries to bring attention to themselves with mocking voices and gestures, but Snake doesn't necessarily want to be seen.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I hope snake gets an alternate costume that makes him look like they way he did in the first metal gear solid.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Don't you know that Snake is known for sneaking around? The Halberd mission is an example of that and bringing attention to himself and practically telling the enemy "Here I am shoot me!" While Snake's taunts may not exactly be interesting, they're perfect for his characterization. Everyone else tries to bring attention to themselves with mocking voices and gestures, but Snake doesn't necessarily want to be seen.
True but we could have at least had different box colors or something.

____________________________________________________________________________-

I was wondering if this was ever brought up?

THIS WAS LAST YEAR 2013

Anyway I was just thinking what if this was perhaps related to Smash where he could still be voicing snake. Sine he might have assumed Snake would be confirmed there. Probably grasping at straws but this was never resolved. I only bring this up because VA work is usually done pretty early on, so him doing Snake in Smash and then dropped for MGSV doesn't sound that far fetched.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

THIS WAS LAST YEAR 2013

Anyway I was just thinking what if this was perhaps related to Smash where he could still be voicing snake. Sine he might have assumed Snake would be confirmed there. Probably grasping at straws but this was never resolved. I only bring this up because VA work is usually done pretty early on, so him doing Snake in Smash and then dropped for MGSV doesn't sound that far fetched.
That's a very good theory however unlikely it might be.
But yeah if I remember correctly that was right after the whole scuffle about Keifer doing Big Boss.
So it's very likely this could be true.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

This is Snake...
Can't give up the good fight, I made this codec themed signature icon for Snake if anyone would like to use it. Snake being cut would be the biggest blow for me.
I love this. I will put this in my sig for sure.

Now that alternate costumes are confirmed, what alternate costumes do you think Snake will have?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Now that alternate costumes are confirmed, what alternate costumes do you think Snake will have?
Hopefully Old Snake and Big Boss.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I just want to ask you guys, do you think there'll be 4 third party characters? I mean, people think there'll be 3: Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac Man. But personally, it's not completely out of the possibility that there'll be 4 to fit in Snake. I mean, even before I was in the Snake craze I always thought it'd be four.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Okay, I just want to ask you guys, do you think there'll be 4 third party characters? I mean, people think there'll be 3: Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac Man. But personally, it's not completely out of the possibility that there'll be 4 to fit in Snake. I mean, even before I was in the Snake craze I always thought it'd be four.
Four seems like the most logical number to me.
Snake is more deserving of Pac-Man though just because of veteran status.
So If there were only Three imo it would be Sonic, MegaMan, Snake.
Not Sonic, MegaMan, Pac-Man.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Thanks, I just love that it's spread like crazy through here, I'm glad you all like it!

Alt costumes? I've already mentioned, I definitely want his MGS1 vest and Big Boss, not sure about anything else. I know I don't want Old Snake, though.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Thanks, I just love that it's spread like crazy through here, I'm glad you all like it!

Alt costumes? I've already mentioned, I definitely want his MGS1 vest and Big Boss, not sure about anything else. I know I don't want Old Snake, though.
May I ask why not?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake

THIS WAS LAST YEAR 2013

In this case voice work for over seas probably wouldnt be done early, especially since in nearly all the footage we have we can really only hear the voices of monster characters like dk, and the mario brothers. Also another thing to consider is if they have keifer under contract for 5 he might also be obligated to do smash bros. Another thing to consider is if they dont have codecs for snake they wouldnt need hayter since all his voice tracks could be used over again like link and zeldas are.

----
My dream scenario for e3 would be a trailer with sonic, megaman, and mario where they get attacked by snake and his nakita missle but as soon as they turn their attention to him pacman jumps in as well. Pretty much a trailer like the pokemon one, with a veteran appearing, and a newcomer.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
May I ask why not?
That's incredibly vague, though you must be talking about Old Snake. I can't say I'm really a fan of an old man in a tight fitting suit crouching around.
My dream scenario for e3 would be a trailer with sonic, megaman, and mario where they get attacked by snake and his nakita missle but as soon as they turn their attention to him pacman jumps in as well. Pretty much a trailer like the pokemon one, with a veteran appearing, and a newcomer.
I think I'd like the opposite, Pac-Man is revealed and they have Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man all dueling it out when Snake pops out of his box in the back and crashes the fight. It'd make a great parallel to his original reveal, and would oh so satisfyingly kill off the "Snake is gone if Pac-Man gets in" mentality.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
In this case voice work for over seas probably wouldnt be done early, especially since in nearly all the footage we have we can really only hear the voices of monster characters like dk, and the mario brothers. Also another thing to consider is if they have keifer under contract for 5 he might also be obligated to do smash bros. Another thing to consider is if they dont have codecs for snake they wouldnt need hayter since all his voice tracks could be used over again like link and zeldas are.

----
That's a good point and I forgot all about how they could just reuse VA as well. Which I am thinking more and more is going to happen.
Would suck to not have any new codecs and the like but I could easily live with that if snake is back. As for third party reveal If Pac-Man is in would make sense to me to reveal them in that fashion together.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace

THIS WAS LAST YEAR 2013

he said that because he will talk alot at E3... its not smash related...

I hope Snake is in, but i don't think so...

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
It doesn't debunk it because Snake's history has been since Brawl diverging more and more from Nintendo. He's on it less and less and on other consoles more and more.
BS!
MGS games on Nintendo systems in between Melee and Brawl: 1 (Twin Snakes)
MGS games on Nintendo systems in between Brawl and SSB4: 1 (Snake Eater 3D)

Snake has more of a reason to be in Smash 4 than he did Brawl, so Sakurai putting him in Brawl and not putting him in Smash 4 doesn't make sense, unless there are licensing issues.

With Brawl:
- Nobody asked for him
- He was a random choice
- Most Nintendo fans didn't care about him
- Third party characters weren't a thing
- His last appearance on a Nintendo console was 4 years prior

With Smash 4:
- He's highly requested
- He makes sense
- He's more well known among Nintendo fans
- He's an established vet
- His last appearance on a Nintendo console was 2 years prior
- He has a unique moveset
- He was "good" (high tier)
- He was the first 3rd party character in Smash Bros. history
- His franchise was highly represented in the previous game
-- Stage (Shadow Moses Island)
-- Assist Trophy (Gray Fox)
-- 9 songs
-- 11 trophies
-- 19 stickers
-- Special codec "taunt" for every character in the game

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
E3 really can't come soon enough. Since at this point a POTD reveal just doesn't seem like it'll happen.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
BS!
MGS games on Nintendo systems in between Melee and Brawl: 1 (Twin Snakes)
MGS games on Nintendo systems in between Brawl and SSB4: 1 (Snake Eater 3D)

Snake has more of a reason to be in Smash 4 than he did Brawl, so Sakurai putting him in Brawl and not putting him in Smash 4 doesn't make sense, unless there are licensing issues.

With Brawl:
- Nobody asked for him
- He was a random choice
- Most Nintendo fans didn't care about him
- Third party characters weren't a thing
- His last appearance on a Nintendo console was 4 years prior

With Smash 4:
- He's highly requested
- He makes sense
- He's more well known among Nintendo fans
- He's an established vet
- His last appearance on a Nintendo console was 2 years prior
- He has a unique moveset
- He was "good" (high tier)
- He was the first 3rd party character in Smash Bros. history
- His franchise was highly represented in the previous game
-- Stage (Shadow Moses Island)
-- Assist Trophy (Gray Fox)
-- 9 songs
-- 11 trophies
-- 19 stickers
-- Special codec "taunt" for every character in the game
Those reasons are all irrelevant. And the history you presented is still weak. The only reason Snake was in Brawl was because the two Developers are good friends. They made it work. The question is, can they make it work again and is Nintendo still up for it? I'd say the chances are less again because of the way the series has diverted away from Nintendo in recent years. But it's not hugely less or anything. I would not be surprised at all if he was gone is all.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Those reasons are all irrelevant. And the history you presented is still weak. The only reason Snake was in Brawl was because the two Developers are good friends. They made it work. The question is, can they make it work again and is Nintendo still up for it? I'd say the chances are less again because of the way the series has diverted away from Nintendo in recent years. But it's not hugely less or anything. I would not be surprised at all if he was gone is all.
Were just going in circles now. You're giving your reasons and were giving ours. These views are going to clash until more information is presented. Since all we have is theories with nothing concrete to actually back them but hunches.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I have a hunch that my hunches are higher quality hunches than your hunches. :201h::201u::201n::201c::201h:

Last edited:

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I've never understood the whole
only reason Snake was in Brawl was because the two Developers are good friends.
Reasoning.

Are they not friends anymore? Did Kojima and Sakurai have some sort of fallout with each other? Did one get drunk and embarrass the other? Is Sakurai just as pissed-off about the premance of Ground Zero's as I am?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Looks more like blatant trolling to me.
Are they not still friends? I don't see why they won't make it work again, Sakurai fought tooth and nail to get Snake in, why would he just give up this time? And why would Nintendo suddenly not want him in after they allowed it once before? They know how well Snake was received, he has even more reason to be here. His chances have nothing to do with the series relevance to Nintendo, you already said it yourself, those reasons are all irrelevant. The series has not diverted anyway, it's in the exact same position as it always has been. Sakurai and Kojima are likely still friends, there's no reason they wouldn't be, they must both want Snake in, as Sakurai has expressed both his dislike of cuts and how he enjoyed Snake broadening Smash appeal and Kojima has already blatantly said that he wants him back.

Really, the only factor there is Nintendo, and again, why would they tell Sakurai no when they allowed it before? Snake being in Brawl only brought good things, and not allowing him would only put more distance between Nintendo and Konami. So really, what logic do you really have to put against Snake, he doesn't fit in?

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Let us not forget Platinum games made Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, who since have been making exclusive games for Wii U (Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Just wanna mention that I'm completely baffled that some people don't see Snake being in Brawl a good enough reason ALONE for him to return in Smash 4.

Either way, I love MGS and I adored his moveset. I'll be pretty upset if he doesn't come back. I'm not too worried though, and I don't really put much stock into what Kojima said because I learned not to believe that guy.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Just wanna mention that I'm completely baffled that some people don't see Snake being in Brawl a good enough reason ALONE for him to return in Smash 4.

Either way, I love MGS and I adored his moveset. I'll be pretty upset if he doesn't come back. I'm not too worried though, and I don't really put much stock into what Kojima said because I learned not to believe that guy.
Man, people like you are the reason I love my decision of joining Smashboards! :) Back when I used gamefaqs, people were extremely biased on characters, ESPECIALLY Snake. And seeing that others can agree with me and other fans just really strikes out to me. Thanks! :D

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad that there's more of a discussion here about snakes inclusion compared to other sites. Bringing up snake usually just results in "He's Cut" and not much else.

MySmashmains6

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssb4sonicrules
I want to think that people are twisting Sakurai's word to create rules for not including certain characters. Although, if the 3DS version is coming out 4-5 months from now, I'm going to guess the final roster is just about complete.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Top Bottom