• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
My take is that Snake is not going to be in Snake 4.
Snake 4? What happened to Snake 3, 2 and 1?

Either way, I'm currently planning on going on a hiatus from Smash speculation, so before that I just want to throw out my last little support for our favorite grenade-throwing and bomb-planting Smasher, one of the last characters that can infuse me with hype. Sheik might have grenades, but from what I can tell they function differently. Furthermore, quite a few Smashers share specials, Greninja's Up-B is basically the same as Pikachu's Up-B as can be seen in his trailer. I'm still very confident that we'll see him in this game, and the sight of him revealing himself from his box will never be as relieving. So here's to Snake.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Being hidden would be somewhat odd given that he's a third party and third parties (at least Sonic and Mega Man) figure into the promotion and hype, especially given how he and Sonic were unlockable but known in Brawl. I don't want to get my hopes up.

"Kept you waiting, huh?" during a release trailer would be gg though.
That would be some hilarious crude humor, considering the **** he pulled with Zero Suit Samus during the Smash Bros. Direct. Proof that Sakurai is actively trolling us.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Being hidden would be somewhat odd given that he's a third party and third parties (at least Sonic and Mega Man) figure into the promotion and hype, especially given how he and Sonic were unlockable but known in Brawl. I don't want to get my hopes up.

"Kept you waiting, huh?" during a release trailer would be gg though.
I really can't wait to hear him say that. I will say "Yes you did, Snake. Yes you did."

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I don't ignore anything, I even remember that it was actually Kojima's son that asked his father. So he approached Sakurai.
Now, do you really think that for such a thing Nintendo and Konami didn't have discussions about it? You think Nintendo did it for free like that? :/

Anyway, I hope to be wrong of course but I'm warning you. I stand by my take, it was a just-once thing that they did.
(btw, Metal Gear is also on GBC and NES)
Kojima asked Sakurai for Snake in melee, but due to time constraints he couldn't be put in. Sakurai later approached Kojima for brawl and asked if he still wanted Snake in, so they worked together on him and the stage.

James was talking about recent mgs games. They're still on the same boat as with brawl because of mgs3d.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
You're the last person I'd expect to say that (along with the smash nerd). I'm happy that you're saying that, but did you change your stance on Snake?

Edit: Also, you forgot to end your sentence with a period. Sorry, just had to point it out.
Yeah, I'm just hoping for him so that the smash taunts will be back. I won't really be too dissapointed if he's cut though.

Dax

Smash Journeyman
James was talking about recent mgs games. They're still on the same boat as with brawl because of mgs3d.
You're right, I forgot about that, but it's good. Well, again I hope he's back, I don't dislike him. I just have a bad feeling

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
So what do you guys have to say after the direct? It appears some smashers and items have been using his moves (i.e. Sheik grenade, Steel Diver gun, etc.)

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
So what do you guys have to say after the direct? It appears some smashers and items have been using his moves (i.e. Sheik grenade, Steel Diver gun, etc.)
A lot of people think Snake is cut after the Kojima interview, and this direct is giving them more ammunition. Kojima is a tricky guy, and may be under contract not to talk about the new games. In the event that he was being honest, Sakurai could have seen the video and included Snake by now. Either way, I'm not giving up hope until E3.

Another thing that irks me is that everybody is replacing Snake with Pac-Man on the roster thread. As iconic as Pac-Man is, he does not work for Smash. All he could do is bite. Even if he was in, he'd play incredibly similar to the Fighting alloys or Wire Frames. Why would anyone want to replace a far more diverse character with such a bland one?

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
People think Sheik having grenades decrease Snake's chances but I believe it points to his presence after all we seen Mega Man's rush coil which works similar to Sonic's spring jump and they also think Sakurai is against having "clones" this time and yet...

Toon Link is somehow allowed to return despite his entire being is just a "clone" of Link.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
People think Sheik having grenades decrease Snake's chances but I believe it points to his presence after all we seen Mega Man's rush coil which works similar to Sonic's spring jump and they also think Sakurai is against having "clones" this time and yet...

Toon Link is somehow allowed to return despite his entire being is just a "clone" of Link.
Toon Link is a 'special' case imo. He's purely there to rep the fact that Link is usually a child as well as cartoon artstyle that's featured in a significant portion of Zelda games.

But yeah, move similarities don't really suggest anything as far as I see it.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I have to agree. E3 will definitely be the breaking point for me. If he's not in it, do you think there could be DLC? I mean, Sakurai never flat out stated that it wasn't happening, so it's still possible right?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Yeah, I have to agree. E3 will definitely be the breaking point for me. If he's not in it, do you think there could be DLC? I mean, Sakurai never flat out stated that it wasn't happening, so it's still possible right?
DLC is pushing it. I'd like to think so too, but Sakurai is staring to recognize the competitive scene. If he does, he may not want to release character DLC that would prevent the metagame from stabilizing.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
DLC is pushing it. I'd like to think so too, but Sakurai is staring to recognize the competitive scene. If he does, he may not want to release character DLC that would prevent the metagame from stabilizing.
Forgot about competitions... that does bring up a good argument, I'll admit... man, I just want Snake back XD it's like... fanboy level how much I want him back. He was my main, and the reason I got into Smash Bros. Brawl in the first place

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Forgot about competitions... that does bring up a good argument, I'll admit... man, I just want Snake back XD it's like... fanboy level how much I want him back. He was my main, and the reason I got into Smash Bros. Brawl in the first place
There's an essay about that on page six. I copy and paste it so you don't have to search for it.
Disclaimer: While I am Biased for Snake to return, my only goal in this essay is to try and shead some light on the facts and help develop peoples arguments.

Snake's return in Smash is one of the most debated topics about the game. As with any debate, there are two sides to this argument.

Pro Snake Side:
-Snake is a unique character
-Snake is popular among smashers
-Snake is a Smash Icon
-Snake will return unless Sakurai and/or Kojima says so

Anti Snake Side:
-Snake isn't a Nintendo Character
-Snake is out of place
-Snake advertises for the competition

From what I've read, the anti side seems to making a more logical argument. However, one thing I think they have failed to noticed is that their argument could be the very reason why snake returns.

SSBB was released before the release of MGS4, so the MGS franchise within Smash contained multiple element from all of their games, but most predominantly the yet-to-be released MGS4 (ex. Gekko appearing on Shadow Moses). So nevertheless Konami was advertising through Smash, and Snake became a popular character, not just because of his competitive viability, but because of his unique and entertaining play style. As gamers like myself played the character, they got attached to him and wanted to know more about him. They would look him up, and learn not just about Snake, but the whole MGS Franchise. And MGS is one of the best series of games I have ever played. It one of those games were once you pick it up, you can't put it back down.

However the opposite is also true. Snake also appeals to gamers who already like MGS beforehand, and they might start taking an interest in Smash, and may lead them to get addicted to all the other games franchises within, such as the Legend of Zelda or Metroid. This in turn generates profit for Nintendo.

So now we have a a group of gamers who not only love Smash, but also MGS. An as Eddybear asked earlier in this thread (Page 4, post #136) "If Snake wasn't included, would it be a dealbreaker for buying SSB4 for you?" These Smash/MGS fans now have to ask themselves, "Do I want to buy this $60 Smash game when I can just download Project M?" and potentially a $300 Wii U? (Let's face it, the Wii U isn't doing so hot right now).

So Nintendo now has to choices
1.) Advertise Snake and MGS and appeal to a good chunk of gamers who might not otherwise take interest in their games, but risk upping sales of their competition.
2.) Cut Snake and MGS and lose appeal to a chunk of gamers, but prevent advertising for our competition.

Snake's fate in SSB4 depends on a multitude of factors, such as what Nintendo sees on the most profitable decision and if there's enough push from the fans, but in the end, it is Sakurai's decision.

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
There's an essay about that on page six. I copy and paste it so you don't have to search for it.
That was deep man... probably one of the best essays I've seen on Snake. And very agreeable. I'm quite literally speechless....

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
A lot of people think Snake is cut after the Kojima interview, and this direct is giving them more ammunition. Kojima is a tricky guy, and may be under contract not to talk about the new games. In the event that he was being honest, Sakurai could have seen the video and included Snake by now. Either way, I'm not giving up hope until E3.

Another thing that irks me is that everybody is replacing Snake with Pac-Man on the roster thread. As iconic as Pac-Man is, he does not work for Smash. All he could do is bite. Even if he was in, he'd play incredibly similar to the Fighting alloys or Wire Frames. Why would anyone want to replace a far more diverse character with such a bland one?
Snake is my main but still, there is a lot of things Pac-Man can do. Have you ever played the World series or championship edition? There is quite a bit there. Plus they have those classic arcade Namco items. Pac-Man is always associated with those other titles due to the Namco Museum games. This just screams Pac-Man is playable.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Someone said that they did the voice of Raiden in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS so Snake might be returning.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Snake is my main but still, there is a lot of things Pac-Man can do. Have you ever played the World series or championship edition? There is quite a bit there. Plus they have those classic arcade Namco items. Pac-Man is always associated with those other titles due to the Namco Museum games. This just screams Pac-Man is playable.
You Know Pac-Man Recent Game is Canceled for Both Wii U and 3DS Right.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/30/pac-man-museum-canceled-on-wii-u-and-nintendo-3ds/

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I know this probably doesn't mean nothing but Kojima made a tech demo for the 3DS a while back and he was an early supporter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRsQjlH4TZU
A thing that might give us hope is that the roster maypossiblyprobablynot have been discussed sometime prior or around Snake Eater 3D's release - they might have been less willing to cut Snake at that point.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
That was deep man... probably one of the best essays I've seen on Snake. And very agreeable. I'm quite literally speechless....
Thanks, I wrote it quite a while back when I was kirby kamikazi. I changed account due to it being mostly inactive for a long time and me experimenting with gamertags at the time.

UberPyro64, I have not seen any of the aforementioned games, but even still, it can't see Pac-man in SSB4 due to lack of moveset. He is not a diverse character. If he is somehow in SSB4, I'll swallow my pride and admit I was wrong. However, I just don't see Pac-man in Smash happening.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I missed this. Does the Steel Diver work like his homing missle?
I think it just shoots a straight forward missile, I don't think theres any control over it like Snakes Nikita missile.

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
But yeah, move similarities don't really suggest anything as far as I see it.
Let me elaborate on why Sheik's grenades hint at Snake's return. When Mega Man was first shown off his rush coil works similar to Sonic's spring jump at the time where people doubted Sonic would return due to the fan-made "rule" of guest characters (Third-Party) not returning but this was proven wrong with Sonic's return proving that guest characters can return in the Super Smash Bros series. Later we seen Villager's boxing gloves which caused people to doubt about Little Mac's inclusion simply because it would make him "unnecessary" but this again has been proven wrong with both of them using boxing gloves. Now we seen Sheik using grenades which is similar to Snake's grenades and again people doubt about Snake's return for this very reason despite them having proven wrong TWICE before? :facepalm: It should be clear there is a pattern to it but if people haven't realize this then it is just very sad. :(

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Let me elaborate on why Sheik's grenades hint at Snake's return. When Mega Man was first shown off his rush coil works similar to Sonic's spring jump at the time where people doubted Sonic would return due to the fan-made "rule" of guest characters (Third-Party) not returning but this was proven wrong with Sonic's return proving that guest characters can return in the Super Smash Bros series. Later we seen Villager's boxing gloves which caused people to doubt about Little Mac's inclusion simply because it would make him "unnecessary" but this again has been proven wrong with both of them using boxing gloves. Now we seen Sheik using grenades which is similar to Snake's grenades and again people doubt about Snake's return for this very reason despite them having proven wrong TWICE before? :facepalm: It should be clear there is a pattern to it but if people haven't realize this then it is just very sad. :(
Great points! I forgot about the Villager one XD

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Someone said that they did the voice of Raiden in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS so Snake might be returning.
He later corrected himself and said he meant playstation all stars, it sucks but i guess it just slipped his mind.

----
Im still very hopeful after the direct, E3 is pretty much our alamo though, its all or nothing. Because with it being that last big event before the end of summer, and with the 3DS version releasing by the end of that, event time and the reveal window is getting shorter. He could always be in a random site update, but i kinda doubt it would be done that simple. It would be ideal for them to just have him appear in pacman's trailer along with him, assuming hes gonna be in (which even i cant deny hes likely at this point). Sheik's grenade did make me question things a bit, but like many have said it really doesnt effect all that much at all.

things are still looking ok at this point

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
He later corrected himself and said he meant playstation all stars, it sucks but i guess it just slipped his mind.

----
It would be ideal for them to just have him appear in pacman's trailer along with him, assuming hes gonna be in (which even i cant deny hes likely at this point).
That would be great, doing a Charizard and Greninja-like reveal (maybe in the opposite order because Snake)

Imagine a scenario where the guy who mocapped Raiden in PSASBR didn't just make a mistake. There is a reveal trailer with Snake at the start and then Newcomer: Raiden (mocapped by what'shisface for the trailer) appears to interupt the battle. This of course would never ever happen. Fun to think about though.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000

----
Im still very hopeful after the direct, E3 is pretty much our alamo though, its all or nothing. Because with it being that last big event before the end of summer, and with the 3DS version releasing by the end of that, event time and the reveal window is getting shorter. He could always be in a random site update, but i kinda doubt it would be done that simple. It would be ideal for them to just have him appear in pacman's trailer along with him, assuming hes gonna be in (which even i cant deny hes likely at this point). Sheik's grenade did make me question things a bit, but like many have said it really doesnt effect all that much at all.

things are still looking ok at this point
What about a Petition? Sakurai has stated that Namco Bandai will Receive "No Priority" in SSB.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
E3 trailer ends the screen goes black then all of a sudden
...! "Kept you waiting, huh?"

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I have a feeling there is some sort of Metal Gear Solid game in the works for wii u, I think that miiverse leak supports it more(Was it deconfirmed
That would be great, doing a Charizard and Greninja-like reveal (maybe in the opposite order because Snake)

Imagine a scenario where the guy who mocapped Raiden in PSASBR didn't just make a mistake. There is a reveal trailer with Snake at the start and then Newcomer: Raiden (mocapped by what'shisface for the trailer) appears to interupt the battle. This of course would never ever happen. Fun to think about though.
I think Raiden could be possible if they do a Metal Gear Rising port on Wii U. Speaking of metal gear on wii u, what about the miiverse leak where there was a "metal gear solid" community. What if they announce what that it is and show off a trailer.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have a feeling there is some sort of Metal Gear Solid game in the works for wii u, I think that miiverse leak supports it more(Was it deconfirmed

I think Raiden could be possible if they do a Metal Gear Rising port on Wii U. Speaking of metal gear on wii u, what about the miiverse leak where there was a "metal gear solid" community. What if they announce what that it is and show off a trailer.
It was never deconfirmed but never fully confirmed either.
However it is interesting to point out that all the other games on that list (except maybe one) are confirmed.
So its not that much of a stretch to believe that "Leak" as it were.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000

Yea Raiden could be possible... As an Assist Trophy

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
I honestly think that might actually be snake.
It's the WiiU version and Little Macs hair is far more spiky. Plus the angle of the shot really does want you to notice the head in the background.
It would fit with Snake's "hiding" as he did in the original Brawl reveal when the box was viewable on battlefield before he popped out of it.

Hair Comparison. You guys might be able to find better.

Only thing that is iffy is no Bandana. But that might just lead more evidence that we are indeed getting Naked Snake over Solid due to MGS3 on 3DS.

Staarih

Smash Master
No, that's definitely Little Mac. I doubt they'd make a mistake like that.

Here's hoping we'll see Snake soon enough though...

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
No, that's definitely Little Mac. I doubt they'd make a mistake like that.

Here's hoping we'll see Snake soon enough though...
Yeah I was looking at it from the wrong angle and seeing it as being from the front (Was looking at it as if it was the side) it's more than likely is little mac.
Looks like the hunt is on once again for Snake.

Top Bottom