• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Yep a lot of the arguments saying he doesn't fit are followed right up by his lack of Nintendo History.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I hate it when people say Snake does not fit in smash bros.

He seriously can't be in a game with characters like Mario and Kirby.

With that logic, We now have to cut Samus. Anything can fit into smash bros It is a crossover, mixing many contradicting styles and genres.
We have to cut Little Mac, since he's a boxer and boxing is a very dangerous sport where people are very likely to suffer head trauma, who wants that in this generally kid friendly game, right?

*bleeping* stupid claims.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
We have to cut Little Mac, since he's a boxer and boxing is a very dangerous sport where people are very likely to suffer head trauma, who wants that in this generally kid friendly game, right?

*bleeping* stupid claims.
What about Link/Marth/Lucina/Ike/Robin...?! Swords are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
But Mega Man has dangerously sharp metal blades, flaming swords, explosives, flamethrowers, and a complete array of lethal firearms, CLEARLY he doesn't fit.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Lets swap Samus and Snake. Metal Gear is now Nintendo owned while Metroid is third party. How many people would say Samus does not fit?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Lets swap Samus and Snake. Metal Gear is now Nintendo owned while Metroid is third party. How many people would say Samus does not fit?
"zero suit samus is too sexualized. We can't have that in a game children play!!"

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
This is the best thing I've ever read relating to Snake and Smash Bros. MGS is grown up, but so is Metroid. So is Fire Emblem. Why does Snake not fit? Because people think he's not "classic" enough. To be honest, I don't care how "classic" a character is. I care how good their series is. And MGS is a great game series.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
This is the best thing I've ever read relating to Snake and Smash Bros. MGS is grown up, but so is Metroid. So is Fire Emblem. Why does Snake not fit? Because people think he's not "classic" enough. To be honest, I don't care how "classic" a character is. I care how good their series is. And MGS is a great game series.
the metal gear series has been around since the nes days, I think that is classic.The first game sold one million on the NES in the US alone, so I guess it was popular back then too.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Don't bring that back.. I heard a enough about that Already!

Sonic Sez: He cant be in the game cause he's cant be in the game cause he's too fast. (How many caught that reference?)
If that was a Sonic '06 reference then, probably, nobody.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
the metal gear series has been around since the nes days, I think that is classic.The first game sold one million on the NES in the US alone, so I guess it was popular back then too.
I found it funny that, even after all those sales they had to release Snake's Revenge just to get Kojima to make Metal Gear 2, I mean what the hell man did the first one not make enough money for you?

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'm not really sure what the main cause for the "Snake doesn't fit" opinion is, but it's probably a mixture of Metal Gear generally being seen as a PlayStation game and Snake using more realistic weaponry.
Personally, I think he does stand out as being "different" compared to other characters, but this doesn't at all mean that he shouldn't be a part of Smash Bros. I think that him being in Brawl was a superb decision. :)

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm not really sure what the main cause for the "Snake doesn't fit" opinion is, but it's probably a mixture of Metal Gear generally being seen as a PlayStation game and Snake using more realistic weaponry.
Personally, I think he does stand out as being "different" compared to other characters, but this doesn't at all mean that he shouldn't be a part of Smash Bros. I think that him being in Brawl was a superb decision. :)
Agreed, while Snake may stand out a little more, than say Link, if you were to put Mario, Link, and Snake, in a row and asked somebody who has never played a game before, which is least fitting, they would undoubtedly say Mario, it's for that reason alone that every character in Smash fits.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I think we all can agree that the Wii Fit Trainers is the only characters that don't fit.
(Not that im not biased against them)

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
The funny thing is, when you think about it metroid is by far the most serious series in smash bros. Metal gear at least has some levity and goofy moments at times, metroid has always taken it self very seriously. The clash of designs is only an issue to those who are trying to make them mesh with each other when really its a cross over, and designs vary massively from body proportions to various details on each character just put ike next to villager and they dont look alike either. But it works because there is variation.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The funny thing is, when you think about it metroid is by far the most serious series in smash bros. Metal gear at least has some levity and goofy moments at times, metroid has always taken it self very seriously. The clash of designs is only an issue to those who are trying to make them mesh with each other when really its a cross over, and designs vary massively from body proportions to various details on each character just put ike next to villager and they dont look alike either. But it works because there is variation.
Yeah.
After all, in Metroid, there are things like this

That guy had flesh a few seconds ago.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It's nice to see a good influx of positive snake supporters, considering pages back we had an influx of haters.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
What's ironic is that Metroid's Game Overs are much more serious than Metal Gear's as well. Particularly the Prime ones. Stuff of nightmares. And it's at worst a T rated game.

Sure, MGSV is picking up the slack with seriousness, but Metroid still maintains that edge that makes it a dark series.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I'm pretty tired right now, but I'll do what I can to throw in my two cents while I'm still awake. :p

I actually think that Metal Gear is more serious than Metroid, but it also comes down to how you define "serious". :p
Metal Gear and Metroid are different in that Metal Gear games vary greatly in tone and atmosphere, whereas in Metroid they are generally very consistent throughout. Every Metal Gear Solid entry has had heavier, serious moments, which are broken up by moments of silliness and campiness - this is one of the most iconic characteristics of MGS. :p However, the commentary and subtext throughout the games are much more serious than some parts of the games would suggest. Much of the series is not meant to be taken seriously, and the comedy certainly offsets its more serious elements - but it doesn't nullify their significance. :)
On the other hand, Metroid is totally devoid of comedy, so it may seem more "serious" - but it is also very much lacking the meaningful commentary and exploration of themes as seen in MGS. When it comes down to it, it's just a really fun and well made game series (at least as far as the 2D and Prime games are concerned) about killing aliens and saving the galaxy. Without any notable moments of comedy, the somewhat dark and solitary tone of the games has nothing to offset it, giving off the impression of seriousness; however, besides its tone, there is actually very little there to qualify it as being "serious".

Anyways, this doesn't really have much to do with why Snake was a good inclusion for Smash. Just thought I'd chime in. :)

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I’ve been reading this thread for months and decided to join today, I totally support Snake's inclusion and he really deserves to comeback

Snake is one of my favourite fighters in Brawl, I love the character and I would be very sad and dissapointed if he’s cut...

When Snake wasn’t announced at E3 I almost lost all my hopes but now I think that a “Kept you waiting, huh? “ can actually happen just before japanese release, that would be awesome. I try to be optimistic although isn’t easy xd

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
As hype as Snake popping up at the end of the last trailer and saying that line would be, I'd be incredibly satisfied just to see him on the back of the box once the game releases in Japan, or if some lucky bloke breaks street date and posts pictures online.

I just want my favorite Brawl main back already...

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
As hype as Snake popping up at the end of the last trailer and saying that line would be, I'd be incredibly satisfied just to see him on the back of the box once the game releases in Japan, or if some lucky bloke breaks street date and posts pictures online.

I just want my favorite Brawl main back already...

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Konami is not listed on the boxart and Snake's not in the picture with the other third parties.

Sorry Snake fans.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Konami is not listed on the boxart and Snake's not in the picture with the other third parties.
Sorry Snake fans.
Yep it went up on reddit and no Konami copyright :( RIP Snake fans

And exactly what "box" are you looking at here? Looks like a piece of cardboard with a card glued to it.

Besides, Rayman has been confirmed to be in the game at least in trophy form, Ubisoft would have to be credited somewhere for that, yet they aren't. Snake isn't out of this yet.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
And exactly what "box" are you looking at here? Looks like a piece of cardboard with a card glued to it.
It's the eshop download card
EDIT: Except there's a pic above that essentially says "These are all the guest characters"

Last edited:
Top Bottom