• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's the eshop download card
That's no box mate.

Still though, someone just brought up a wonderful point in the Character thread, Monolith isn't credited on the "box" either, so I guess that makes Gematsu double-dead since Shulk is "deconfirmed."

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
That's no box mate.

Still though, someone just brought up a wonderful point in the Character thread, Monolith isn't credited on the "box" either, so I guess that makes Gematsu double-dead since Shulk is "deconfirmed."
Doesn't explain the Monolith tweetin tho

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This might clarify a few things.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69879448

"Some of you are a little confused how copyrights/trademarks work.

You only have to list the copyrights on the packaging for the properties you use on the packaging.
You don't have to list copyrights used in-game on the packaging when you do not use any of those things on the packaging.
Basically you're only referencing copyrights when you actually use them. You can consider the game and its packaging as two different 'products', if you will.

For example, the packaging does not show Rayman's copyright, but the game obviously contains a trophy containing his image (and therefore Ubisoft's copyright). This is simply because the package itself does not show Rayman.

The only assumption you can make on the packaging here is if you think they would show off Snake if he was in the game, since he's a third-party character, then you could assume he is 'deconfirmed'.... Though that is, of course, assuming they'd show him on the box and not keep him a secret."
Wouldn't they show off Snake as one of the main third party spotlights, I think Snake is done for.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Snakes not on the back which can mean

1.Hes not in the game
2. He's a hidden character

The thing is copyright on the box only has to give those who are on the box. So for example if snake is in the game but not the box he just has to be credited within the game with his trademark.

Though I will say that this doesn't lend itself well to snake. Since I can't think of a instance where a third party anything was kept hidden in any game.

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
The final boxart probably is going to be different. I'm sure that Ness or Lucas will be announced before release, but Mother's developers aren't in the box.

That means nothing about Snake's inclusion

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I will kind of miss Snake, solely for his amazing and unique moveset. Oh well.
They would still have to mention Konami on the box even if Snake is a hidden character...

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Wow. How did someone even get their hands on this? It looks really official. Does this de-confirm Snake?
Well, Snake is owned by Konami, Konami isn't on the box, so....
To the Graveyard with the Snake of Solidity.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
"Enjoy my good friend Shulk" :troll:
To be honest I wouldn't say what it says there on the box means much at this point. It may only be those shown on the box, which is consistent with what I can see on it.

Snake may well be out, and Shulk may well not make it, but to rule them out based on that is a bit premature still.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Does that mean Shulk is gone too?
I think it just means that Shulk isn't on the box art. Unlike Snake, a Third Party character, it's not as "necessary" for him to be on the box art.

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
Well if this is true then that means snake is not in the game and like I said in the Rate their chances thread, I won't be shedding any tears over his loss.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I think it just means that Shulk isn't on the box art. Unlike Snake, a Third Party character, it's not as "necessary" for him to be on the box art.
Why does Snake need to be on the Box Art? He was only mentioned on the Brawl boxart as a newcomer, nothing to say he'd be on the boxart this time, particularly if he's not been announced.

He may well not be in, but that seems a weak reason to rule him out.

Looking what is in the game, it seems that it's only those on the boxart that are credited there, so this doesn't really rule in or out anyone at this time.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Why does Snake need to be on the Box Art? He was only mentioned on the Brawl boxart as a newcomer, nothing to say he'd be on the boxart this time, particularly if he's not been announced.
Well Sonic made it on the boxart.

While I agree it doesn't completely rule him out, I find it very unlikely that Snake would be a hidden character/wouldn't make the box. 3rd party guests are usually made known before release. Either way it certainly doesn't help the situation.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
While this doesn't look good, the first post on that Reddit thread makes a pretty good point that debunks the idea that this deconfirms anyone, so obviously many of the people citing this Reddit thread haven't actually bothered to read it. Apparently you only have to include copyrights on packaging if those copyrights are featured on the packaging. Because Snake is not pictured on the eshop download card, there's no legal requirement to feature any Metal Gear or Konami copyright info there. And as many have said, there are no Ubisoft trademarks either, and we know for a fact that there is a Rayman trophy. I'm going to stay optimistic until the bitter end. I don't think this is any reason to lose faith, as Sakurai would probably take steps to prevent the last few unrevealed characters from being leaked in this way. Until somebody gets their hands on the game and has unlocked all of the characters, I'm taking any "disconfirmation" of Snake with a grain of salt.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Snakes not on the back which can mean

1.Hes not in the game

The thing is copyright on the box only has to give those who are on the box. So for example if snake is in the game but not the box he just has to be credited within the game with his trademark.
While this doesn't look good, the first post on that Reddit thread makes a pretty good point that debunks the idea that this deconfirms anyone, so obviously many of the people citing this Reddit thread haven't actually bothered to read it. Apparently you only have to include copyrights on packaging if those copyrights are featured on the packaging. Because Snake is not pictured on the eshop download card, there's no legal requirement to feature any Metal Gear or Konami copyright info there. And as many have said, there are no Ubisoft trademarks either, and we know for a fact that there is a Rayman trophy. I'm going to stay optimistic until the bitter end. I don't think this is any reason to lose faith, as Sakurai would probably take steps to prevent the last few unrevealed characters from being leaked in this way. Until somebody gets their hands on the game and has unlocked all of the characters, I'm taking any "disconfirmation" of Snake with a grain of salt.
Yep that's exactly where i'm sitting atm.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Much like the 3DS commercial a few weeks ago, there's no mention of Shigesato Itoi or Ape Inc. on the back of that image, but you'd have to be crazy to think that they're cutting all Mother/Earthbound content from the game.

It's just a promotional item, and they aren't going to spoil a good portion of the roster on something like that which everyone can see - I find it difficult to take the idea of Snake being cut seriously until we see the actual game box, not just a cut-out used for pre-orders or something like that.

EDIT: Also, we don't know how legitimate this is - wouldn't it make more sense for the part of the image which has the copyright information to be upside down, given where the hole is for the card to go on shelves? Between that and none of the screenshots appearing to be new, this could be fake for all we know.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Damn..., lots of hope lost...but then again, why isn't monolith soft on the box either..hm..

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I've been in School all day. Someone catch me up! Is that the official box art? SOMEONE PLEASE RESPOND!

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Apparently this is another leak that disconfirms Snake somehow.
But SHEGASTO ITOI and Ape Inc. isn't on the Box Art? They couldn't of Cut NESS or Lucas that would be dishonorable! There's 17 people here there worried!

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
This is not good... I'm still hoping for the classic Kojima troll with him being revealed last or in the next direct or hidden or something. But I can see the point other people make, the other 3rd parties are shown but he is not there. We were never told that these were ALL the 3rd parties, but it kinda does not look too good. Ubisoft,monolith, and itoi are not credited either, but their characters are not on the box.
There is one thing that gives me hope, the miiverse leak. Every game on that list has been announced and/or released except for 3 of the games.. , metroid, final fantasy 3, and...wait for it.. Metal Gear Solid. This means that there is probably something Metal Gear is coming to wii u. I don't think it's snake eater, I mean, every game on that list released close to wii u, and they all have a miiverse page, while snake eater does not. I hope he is in.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Hmm well i cant say this looks good. Its not completely damning but it isnt helping things, we all know its possible he might be excluded and are prepared for that, ill still keep hope alive till we see a roster screen. But i can see weve already got the roaches popping up now to say "good riddence" and the like, it begins.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Well, this is what happens when you put games in the competition's consoles.... if Snake was in the game, then he'd be advertising for the competition, which completely counter-intuitive. And looks like Sakurai and Nintendo agree, putting Snake in Brawl may have seemed right at the time, but not anymore. His time is done.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well, this is what happens when you put games in the competition's consoles.... if Snake was in the game, then he'd be advertising for the competition, which completely counter-intuitive. And looks like Sakurai and Nintendo agree, putting Snake in Brawl may have seemed right at the time, but not anymore. His time is done.
If nintendo wanted MGS, they should have worked out something with konami. They worked something out with sega and got 3 exclusives!(2 of which were ****ty on wii u, and the 3rd one might follow the trend.)
And if every game on that debug menu is going to come, then it looks like they might already have worked out something....

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I really don't get this "advertising for the competition" way of thinking. Konami's a third party company; it's not in direct competition with Nintendo, and it can (and has) brought their games to Nintendo consoles. If Sakurai, Nintendo, or whoever has final say about that sort of thing cared that much, they definitely wouldn't have allowed content from Metal Gear Solid 4 (which was and (somewhat bafflingly) still is exclusive to PS3) to be included in Smash Bros. However, they did, which seems to show how much they care about that sort of thing (hint: not very much).

The inclusion of third party characters is about their relevance to gaming as a whole. The vast majority of Sonic's fame didn't come from his time on Nintendo systems (a lot of which was the darkest time in his franchise's history, between Sonic Heroes and arguably Sonic Unleashed depending on your opinion on it), and Pac-Man is primarily known for arcade games over his appearances on Nintendo systems.

The Metal Gear franchise is quite important to the gaming industry, and I (at the very least) certainly have no problem with it being included in Smash Bros. - not only does its inclusion acknowledge that importance, but it broadens the fanbases of both Metal Gear and all of Nintendo's series. I got into Metal Gear through Snake's appearance in Smash Bros., and I know there are lots of people who did the same, or people who got into Nintendo franchises because they were Metal Gear fans and Snake was in a game full of Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well he's not Officially De-Confirmed yet! What give's me hope is SHEGASTO ITOI, Ape Inc. and Monolith Soft are not on the back on the box!

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I really don't get this "advertising for the competition" way of thinking. Konami's a third party company; it's not in direct competition with Nintendo, and it can (and has) brought their games to Nintendo consoles. If Sakurai, Nintendo, or whoever has final say about that sort of thing cared that much, they definitely wouldn't have allowed content from Metal Gear Solid 4 (which was and (somewhat bafflingly) still is exclusive to PS3) to be included in Smash Bros.

The inclusion of third party characters is about their relevance to gaming as a whole. The vast majority of Sonic's fame didn't come from his time on Nintendo systems (a lot of which was the darkest time in his franchise's history, between Sonic Heroes and arguably Sonic Unleashed depending on your opinion on it), and Pac-Man is primarily known for arcade games over his appearances on Nintendo systems.

The Metal Gear franchise is quite important to the gaming industry, and I (at the very least) certainly have no problem with it being included in Smash Bros. - not only does its inclusion acknowledge that importance, but it broadens the fanbases of both Metal Gear and all of Nintendo's series. I got into Metal Gear through Snake's appearance in Smash Bros., and I know there are lots of people who did the same, or people who got into Nintendo franchises because they were Metal Gear fans and Snake was in a game full of Nintendo characters.
There, you said it yourself, you got into Metal Gear because of Smash Bros, meaning that Smash DID advertise Metal Gear, to you at least. Now, how many people like you who were convinced to get into Metal Gear bought the game for PS3 or XBox? There, Smash convinced you to buy a game for a non-nintendo console, meaning that Snake in Smash IN EFFECT (regardless of Nintendo and Konami's intentions) did serve as advertisement for the competition. You simply proved it yourself.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There, you said it yourself, you got into Metal Gear because of Smash Bros, meaning that Smash DID advertise Metal Gear, to you at least. Now, how many people like you who were convinced to get into Metal Gear bought the game for PS3 or XBox? There, Smash convinced you to buy a game for a non-nintendo console, meaning that Snake in Smash IN EFFECT (regardless of Nintendo and Konami's intentions) did serve as advertisement for the competition. You simply proved it yourself.
Actually, I bought the Twin Snakes (the remake of Metal Gear Solid 1 for the Gamecube) and the PC version of Metal Gear Solid 2, and I was perfectly fine with that (seeing as Youtube and online summaries could fill in the gap of Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid 4 hadn't been released at the time).

It wasn't until later, when it was available for an extremely cheap price, that I got an Xbox 360, and that was well before either the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Rising, or Metal Gear Solid 5 were announced, so those games had nothing to do with my decision to buy a console that, by all appearances, Metal Gear would not be on.

Saying that Snake shouldn't be included in Smash Bros. because it's advertising for the competition seems to be like the people who say that Bayonetta shouldn't be on Nintendo systems because the original game wasn't released on the Wii - in both cases, it's a bizarre double standard that seems to only serve to limit, rather than expand on, Nintendo's fanbase.

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Sakurai.
(btw, Sakurai said himself he doesn't care for console wars. And even Iwata was chill with Snake)
I mean, who cares. Your bringing a great series to other fans too. I think people make too big of a deal with these console wars when the only thing people argue about are the consoles themselves and the games. I mean, I'm almost a Nintendo Purist, I refuse to buy a PS4 or Xbone, I HATE anything non-nintendo related, but do you see me complaining? Of course not. Because I respect Sakurai's decisions, and I'm afraid you haven't realized that yourself.

Top Bottom