• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There, you said it yourself, you got into Metal Gear because of Smash Bros, meaning that Smash DID advertise Metal Gear, to you at least. Now, how many people like you who were convinced to get into Metal Gear bought the game for PS3 or XBox? There, Smash convinced you to buy a game for a non-nintendo console, meaning that Snake in Smash IN EFFECT (regardless of Nintendo and Konami's intentions) did serve as advertisement for the competition. You simply proved it yourself.
You do realize nintendo themselves said they were not directly competing with the other two companies. They shouldn't really care about other consoles sales, they only care about their own consoles' sales and making profit. Putting snake in smash should do them more good than harm, as snake fans from other consoles would buy the game.
Now, if MGS5 came to wii u, would you buy it? Answer honestly.
We still don't know if 3rd party games sell well on wii u or not, considering they were all gimped, but then again, what was gimped about Assasin's creed?
Also, again I have pointed out there might be some metal gear wii u game in development.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Wouldn't it be better to stop arguing and just hope for the best? At worst the argument simply makes an already established point and it's not exactly a good idea to turn this into a debate thread.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I fear Snake's exclusion since so many people will miss him. However, I can't say that I'll be all that disappointed if he's gone, as I was not particularly fond of using him or playing against him in all honesty.
....Sorry things aren't looking great guys, but you never know with Sakurai....

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's going to be a glorious day when Snake finally appears. "But he was deconfirmed! Konami wasn't on the box!"

We can't falter now, guys. He's just keeping us waiting. And being a bit of a jackarse honestly.
It'll feel all the better...

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
While this doesn't look good, the first post on that Reddit thread makes a pretty good point that debunks the idea that this deconfirms anyone, so obviously many of the people citing this Reddit thread haven't actually bothered to read it. Apparently you only have to include copyrights on packaging if those copyrights are featured on the packaging. Because Snake is not pictured on the eshop download card, there's no legal requirement to feature any Metal Gear or Konami copyright info there. And as many have said, there are no Ubisoft trademarks either, and we know for a fact that there is a Rayman trophy. I'm going to stay optimistic until the bitter end. I don't think this is any reason to lose faith, as Sakurai would probably take steps to prevent the last few unrevealed characters from being leaked in this way. Until somebody gets their hands on the game and has unlocked all of the characters, I'm taking any "disconfirmation" of Snake with a grain of salt.
*Phew* All right, that got rid of any fear...or should I say, The Fear.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
@ZeldaMaster The Great Console war is Over and has been for a while now.
Sony President Shuhei Yoshida owns two Wii U's. He also think's SM3DW is great!
http://wiiudaily.com/2013/10/sony-president-wii-u/
Xbox's Phil Spencer Compliments both Sony and Nintendo
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/01/05/microsofts-phil-spencer-compliments-both-nintendo-and-sony/
The Console War is over with. It's people like you who make a big deal about it. MGS4 didn't have much advertisement in Brawl just a Remixed version of the Love Theme and a Gekko in Shadow Moses and a Trophy. I want MGS5 related stuff in Smash. all that I can see being added is Exclusive Music and Trophy's.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
There's been some really good posts on SmashGAF.

Here are two of my favorites.

Originally Posted by SaikyoBro

To quote the great Josh Nichols, "Hug me, brotha".

In all honesty it's been over a year since the game was announced and we've got less than a month till the game comes out, and we still don't really have any real reason to suspect Snake is in the game beyond a view obscure and unreliable voice actor leaks. Nothing Sakurai, Kojima, or anyone within Nintendo or Konami have said clearly point in Snake's favor.

I still haven't entirely given up because I still just can't fathom why such an iconic and unique character would be cut. Sakurai and Kojima both have absolutely nothing to lose by this character being in the game, and even as we're this close to launch I have trouble picturing a scenario where one of them deliberately says Snake can't be in SSB4. I also have trouble imagining a scenario where Nintendo steps in and says that. I just fail to see what party involved would have a problem with Snake's return. And the sad part is, if the way cuts between Melee and Brawl were handled are any indication, it's unlikely Sakurai will ever come out and give the reasoning behind him being cut, along with any other character who doesn't return.

The whole situation just blows, man. Much like you, the worst part is seeing how hateful some of the fans can be for no real reason. If he had been cut because Nintendo and Konami couldn't work out an agreement, then okay I guess, business is business. I'd be disappointed but I'd understand that's the nature of these types of games.

However, knowing that it's been a year and a half long debate of people spitting at each other, throwing around slander, and making assumptions before there's any reason to believe one way or the other just leaves an awful feeling in my stomach. A veteran character's status has caused some of the most petty arguments and mindless console fanboy arguments I've seen in a very long time. And if Snake doesn't return, like, I just feel like an idiot for ever thinking he had a chance. I'll have been wrong in everything I've said in his favor for the last year and a half and everyone else will be right.

Damn, dude, just bring Snake back already.
Durden77

Well I am a huge MG fan, and you hit the nail on the head. He has a type of purity than many people that choose not to learn about him just simply will never understand. He's one of a kind, truly, in a sea of characters trying to diversify themselves.

That's why him being in Smash made me so ****ing happy. Not only was it just a fan's dream come true, but he got a better chance to show off what he really is, a hero, in a more clear way, and to people that don't necessarily know a lot about him. Someone that belongs with Mario, Link, and Samus. He was raised in nearly the same way as Mario was, and continues to move video games forward in a way that only certain Nintendo franchises can rival. His inclusion was like being reunited with a long lost family that was separated at birth, and then ****ing celebrating.

Not to mention his incredible moveset and diversity in style to the rest of the cast, it makes me so sad to see how many people just seem to throw all that away and see him as some sort of Sony soldier. Dissapointed, even. I just don't understand it, and I never will.

Also, he's still not cut yet. I obviously have a firm position on how bad I want him included, but I still know there's a good possibilty he can be cut. But he's not yet.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Glad to see some are keeping the fight strong, those guys should stop by here.
It's the idea that Snake added something. He added a classic series, a unique move set, and a great history to the roster of Super Smash Bros. I like to think of Super Smash Bros a celebration of video game history, not just Nintendo History because by now it's talking about Ubisoft, Sony, Capcom and even Konami. All of these are giants of industries who have contributed to the history and the art of video games since the very beginning. Snake doesn't detract because he doesn't fit, but he expands and grows the sights that Super Smash Bros sees. Growth is good, if we stuck with the same "Nintendo-centric happy" series than smash wouldn't grow. Wouldn't truly represent the video game history it was born to catalog. It would be a loss if he wasn't playable.

Also if I didn't have Snake I would probably cry, so there's that.

Lord_Arceus

Smash Rookie
I'm a new user here and don't have enough posts to post the link that I wanted to show you guys, but an article from "gamersyndrome.com" basically has some more insight on the whole boxart rumor that's been going around. It basically says that Earthbound characters are most likely returning and Snake could possibly be cut. Here's the picture anyways:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I haven't...
Oh...well its not really a story spoiler, just the end of a minor, 7 minute boss.
There's been some really good posts on SmashGAF.

Here are two of my favorites.
Those were really nice reads. Many have mentioned this, but if he gets cut, I really hope Sakurai will actually give us a reason why to end the stupid speculation. Like he did on why Chrom didn't get in, at least it lets us know why it didn't happen.
I still have faith though, not giving up until the game is out.
One thing for sure: Its taking too long for that August Direct every Smash Fan's hoping to see...

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If Solid Snake returns, it seems likely that David Hayter will be voicing him - it definitely seemed like he reprised the role in a (now-cancelled, unfortunately) Metal Gear 1 remake.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/08/18/metal-gear-remake-called-off-by-konami-and-the-outer-heaven

I'm a new user here and don't have enough posts to post the link that I wanted to show you guys, but an article from "gamersyndrome.com" basically has some more insight on the whole boxart rumor that's been going around. It basically says that Earthbound characters are most likely returning and Snake could possibly be cut. Here's the picture anyways:
You mean this article?

http://gamersyndrome.com/2014/news/...u-3ds-earthbound-characters-likely-returning/

The presence of Creatures Inc. doesn't say anything about Earthbound returning - that credit has been there since the game was announced, so it seems to represent the Pokemon series. Mother/Earthbound has been credited with Ape Inc. and Shigesato Itoi, neither of which are listed on that copyright information. They weren't listed on the box of the original Smash Bros., presumably since Ness was a secret character (Intelligent Systems wasn't either in regards to Melee), but at any rate, this doesn't seem like the final copyright information for the game.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Welcome to smashboards!
As other users have pointed out, they only need to list the companies who their properties on the box. Which is why ubisoft,itoi and ape inc, and monolith soft are not credited. But how ever, it does seem like he may be, and this has decreased my expectancy of him.

Anyway, what if snake is cut because of voice actor? Maybe Sakurai wanted Hayter to do the voice, but Kojima wanted Sutherland. And they didn't want to spend more to hire a voice actor like Sutherland?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
By my understanding, Kojima wanted Sutherland (or someone different, at least) because he wanted a more serious or dramatic portrayal for Big Boss; I'm sure they'd be able to work something out for Smash Bros. At any rate, I can't see that sort of thing being a deal-breaker.

Lord_Arceus

Smash Rookie
Welcome to smashboards!
As other users have pointed out, they only need to list the companies who their properties on the box. Which is why ubisoft,itoi and ape inc, and monolith soft are not credited. But how ever, it does seem like he may be, and this has decreased my expectancy of him.

Anyway, what if snake is cut because of voice actor? Maybe Sakurai wanted Hayter to do the voice, but Kojima wanted Sutherland. And they didn't want to spend more to hire a voice actor like Sutherland?
I sure do hope Snake is back, as I've been super hyped about him ever since. It'd be a disappointment if he weren't to return, but I hope for the best. As 'Megadoomer' stated, I don't think the voice actors will be a big problem for Nintendo. Hayter did apparantly seem to reprise his role in the MG remake, so he could definitely return to voice Snake for Smash.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
It seems like Snake could go either way now, but I'm just imaging Sony would have gotten Snake for Sony All-Stars Battle Royal if they could have. I can't help but feel that Snake was already a done-deal in Smash Bros., which excluded him from any other similar games, so Sony got Raiden instead. (I have no proof of this--just an educated guess.)

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
It seems like Snake could go either way now, but I'm just imaging Sony would have gotten Snake for Sony All-Stars Battle Royal if they could have. I can't help but feel that Snake was already a done-deal in Smash Bros., which excluded him from any other similar games, so Sony got Raiden instead. (I have no proof of this--just an educated guess.)
ANother theory of mine, is that Raiden is the new Metal Gear hero, as the current Snake with a game will become a villain and Solid might had died of old age; with Raiden still looking forward for more games maybe he will be used for now on for such occassions to represent MG. Somehow involving the Raiden leak, yet if this is true, it would had been nice to have MGR:R on Wii U with exclusive content like the Master Sword or The Falachion.

Or then again, it is all over, no Metal Gear nor Konami rep will be in.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
The Metal Gear remake David Hayter was going to reprise the role in was fan made, I don't think it really has any bearing on who would voice Snake in Smash, as much as I want Hayter to return.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman

Lord_Arceus

Smash Rookie
The presence of Creatures Inc. doesn't say anything about Earthbound returning - that credit has been there since the game was announced, so it seems to represent the Pokemon series. Mother/Earthbound has been credited with Ape Inc. and Shigesato Itoi, neither of which are listed on that copyright information. They weren't listed on the box of the original Smash Bros., presumably since Ness was a secret character (Intelligent Systems wasn't either in regards to Melee), but at any rate, this doesn't seem like the final copyright information for the game.

Yeah you're probably right, this might not be the final copyright info of the game, but it is worth mentioning that Konami isn't listed. It might just be because he isn't featured on the box (then again this might not even be the final copyright info as you mentioned.)

I don't see Snake becoming a secret character, as third-party characters are almost certain to get confirmed before the game's launch.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
ANother theory of mine, is that Raiden is the new Metal Gear hero, as the current Snake with a game will become a villain and Solid might had died of old age; with Raiden still looking forward for more games maybe he will be used for now on for such occassions to represent MG. Somehow involving the Raiden leak, yet if this is true, it would had been nice to have MGR:R on Wii U with exclusive content like the Master Sword or The Falachion.

Or then again, it is all over, no Metal Gear nor Konami rep will be in.
People have been clamoring for more villains in smash....

Venom snake confirmed? :p

PeterJude

Smash Ace
This is exactly what the last few pages have been discussing.

What is interesting to note is that this would rule out Ness, Lucas, Shulk, Snake and a few others, as well as content we already know is in game. That is if it were in any way relevant. What it seems to be however is copyright information for the boxart, not for the whole game, this would explain the lack of representation of content in the game, that we already know is there, but not credited here as well.

Snake mightn't be in, who knows, but going "he can't possibly be in" over that is a bit much at this point.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Yeah...this back of the box thing is blowing up in the Smash Community way too much. Hopfully something can put a fork in it soon, whether that'd be a Shulk reveal so Monolith Soft gets credited, or.... Snake.

IT WAS CANCELLED?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I-I really wanted to play it.... :(
There's a petition you can sign to help convince Konami to approve of it (check the video description of the trailer in the article). I was saddened by the news too especially when Konami seemed like they approved of it. The worse part is Kojima seems to be interested in another MGS1 remake instead of the original MG games...

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692

After this PotD, you can not tell me Snake doesn't fit in Smash.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
That it. Snake needs to be here for that. He's going to have to remove all his gear to catch her this time :054:
Oh yeah, and if we can get that in an E10 game, I'm sure we could get Snake in an E10 game. You know, since people actually used that as an argument?

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
You know what? **** it. I made it this far as a Snake supporter so if I'm going down I'm going down in flames. I'm going to be dead set in asserting Snake will return until a Japanese 3DS declares you have completed your pathetically small 45 fighter roster with nary a mention of Snake's glorious buttocks.

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
The take with salt 4chan leak said snake was cut but coming back as DLC. We've discussed that angle before but might as well again.
I would definitely prefer him on the main roster but his appearance being tied to DLC would be a instant purchase much like with a lot of snake fans.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The take with salt 4chan leak said snake was cut but coming back as DLC. We've discussed that angle before but might as well again.
I would definitely prefer him on the main roster but his appearance being tied to DLC would be a instant purchase much like with a lot of snake fans.
I would pay any amount for snake

Thebluecomet

Traveling the universe
I actually wouldn't mind snake as DLC those that want him in the game can simply download him onto the roster, and those that don't can simply ignore the DLC everybody wins.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's really a toss-up at this point... If Snake isn't confirmed prior to the japanese launch in a few weeks, I think it's about time to throw in the towel. I can't fathom them keeping Snake a secret character when we already had Sonic confirmed before we even got a post-E3 Newcomer.

For what it's worth though, I'm right here and hopeing with you all. I have yet to complete a MGS game, but Snake was an absurdley cool choice for a character and his moveset was wonderfully unique. I want him back too.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Glad to see some are keeping the fight strong, those guys should stop by here.
Guess I could share what I posted there

My favorite thing about Snake in Smash is that he really stood out as being an outsider, and I'm not just saying that because he's a third party, but because he's the only character that actually feels like he's interacting with characters from another world/universe/whatever. It's mostly due to the codecs and his trailer, though, but they really did help in giving off that impression.

That's actually something that I don't like about Smash. Despite the novelty of having different Nintendo characters fighting each other, it doesn't really feel like Mario fighting Kirby is any different from fighting Bowser, if you get what I mean. Snake was the only character that gave me the impression that he's really among characters that aren't in his league.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

After this PotD, you can not tell me Snake doesn't fit in Smash.
My Metal Gear just got Solid, and it's Rising… ;)

Maybe this means there's hope for this alternate costume!
Oh my god, no. For the love of god, please no Big Boss Pin-ups.

On a completely different note, great counter arguments guys! Hopefully the August direct is going to be soon (if there is going to be one). As usual, not much news regarding Smash. It great to see more people coming here, and I wish I could have participated in the copyright debate a few pages ago. Anyway, it good to know that our spirits are up, despite all the **** we take all the time. Keep it up, everyone!

Top Bottom