• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I'd love to see Snake return.

I can imagine his trailer being like Sonic's Short Reveal, except we'll see Mario, Sonic, MegaMan and Pac-Man fighting before it. Snake comes out of his Box saying "Kept YOU waiting huh?"

It'd be ironic that he was the first 3rd Party Character announced ever in a Smash Bros game, and this could be his chance being the last.
I wouldn't put it past Sakurai.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Really?
I feel like it's more of an 80%.
Really there isn't a reason not to put him back in. However there is that chance.
kinda trying to keep my expectations low, but 70 is higher than the other people were rating him

Staarih

Smash Master
If (or when) Snake is announced, I need Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man fighting on stage, with Mario being the one being blasted off by Snake, leaving four 3rd party characters on the battlefield. Now that's a first.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
kinda trying to keep my expectations low, but 70 is higher than the other people were rating him
I had to restrain myself from putting 1567%
Your welcome.
If (or when) Snake is announced, I need Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man fighting on stage, with Mario being the one being blasted off by Snake, leaving four 3rd party characters on the battlefield. Now that's a first.
I like you and your wonderful ideas.
Bye bye Mario, here's Snake.

BunnyBoy1337

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3265-5888-7478
Remember in Snake's Brawl trailer when Cornell said "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Snake." Keyword: ONCE. Snake decomfirmed!

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Remember in Snake's Brawl trailer when Cornell said "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Snake." Keyword: ONCE. Snake decomfirmed!

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, so I'll just post a gif of a guy flipping twin revolvers like Revolver Ocelot.

D

Deleted member

Might have said it before, but if the codecs return, all of the ones with Campbell might be replaced.
His Japanese voice actor died and out of respect, the character has been retired from the series.

Though, they might not, since judging by Kojima's words:
As 80% of movie depends on the sound, the character's characteristic depends on their voice, I think. I've always created based on that theory. Similar to the Frank Jeager, Ninja character ended when my favorite Mr. Shiozawa passed away, I cannot think of anyone for Campbell except Mr. Aono. Sorry guys.
It only implies that they're not hiring a replacement. Much like Gray Fox uses old clips from Shiozawa in Brawl (obviously the Japanese version), they could still use Aono's clips for Campbell from Brawl for this game.
Though at least any that mention Brawl/Smash Bros. X directly (which Jigglypuff's does in English; unsure about Japanese) and Charizard's will have to be redone, and they won't be with Campbell.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I've tried to do some revolver spinning like Ocelot, but It always ends up like this.
Ocelot is such a dork.
His appearance in MGS3 just confirms it.
Might have said it before, but if the codecs return, all of the ones with Campbell might be replaced.
His Japanese voice actor died and out of respect, the character has been retired from the series.

Though, they might not, since judging by Kojima's words:

It only implies that they're not hiring a replacement. Much like Gray Fox uses old clips from Shiozawa in Brawl (obviously the Japanese version), they could still use Aono's clips for Campbell from Brawl for this game.
Though at least any that mention Brawl/Smash Bros. X directly (which Jigglypuff's does in English; unsure about Japanese) and Charizard's will have to be redone, and they won't be with Campbell.
We have talked about other codec options.
Ocelot, anyone from Peace Walker, Otacon, Mei Ling, Naomi and Rose, are all options.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
As a side-note to that, it makes me question whether they ever will do a remake of Metal Gear 2 as Colonel is a central support character in that game. I imagine they will do MG1 at least at some point.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
As a side-note to that, it makes me question whether they ever will do a remake of Metal Gear 2 as Colonel is a central support character in that game. I imagine they will do MG1 at least at some point.
I don't know, there's a fan work in the process for the original game that's been given blessing from Konami but other than that I have no idea.
I guess who ever takes over Metal Gear after Sakurai will have that answer if not Sakurai himself.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don't know, there's a fan work in the process for the original game that's been given blessing from Konami but other than that I have no idea.
I guess who ever takes over Metal Gear after Sakurai will have that answer if not Sakurai himself.
I heard the fan remake got cancelled.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Kojima did say that he wasn't going to use Campbell anymore.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Ok Guy's here what I rated :snake:
Snake

Chance: 70% Solid Snake the Legendary Mercenary, The Man who make's the impossible possible. I can't really think of nothing to go against him. I wouldn't take the Kojima interview as a disconfirmation because I don't think he would act like that if he knew his Beloved Creation wouldn't going to be in the best Crossover Fighting game of this generation I would really be upset. I would say Metal Gear does have a pretty rich history with Nintendo. If wouldn't for Metal Gear NES being so successful and selling over 1 million copies Kojima would never continued the series. MGS: The Twin Snake's can be considered one of the best Third Party Game's for the NGC of all time and with Legendary developer Shigeru Miyamoto over-seeing development. The most recent MGS game on a Nintendo platform was 2012 Snake Eater 3D which is getting a E-Shop release soon to NA and JP
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/482931681419358209. I don't think Nintendo would mind keeping Snake there pretty much now catering to there Fanbase now with Operation Rainfall coming to NA and Earthbound coming to the Wii U VC in NA as well. Were pretty much in the same shoes as we were in Brawl, MGS4 released like what 2 months after Brawl released and pretty much limited the "Promotional Material" They was just the Love Theme (Brawl Remix) and a Gekko appearing in the Background of Shadow Moses.

Want: 100% One of my favorite characters of all time I would really be upset if he didn't return and many others in the Competitive Scene would be too!

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I heard the fan remake got cancelled.
Really?
Well that's too bad.
Ok Guy's here what I rated :snake:
Snake

Chance: 70% Solid Snake the Legendary Mercenary, The Man who make's the impossible possible. I can't really think of nothing to go against him. I wouldn't take the Kojima interview as a disconfirmation because I don't think he would act like that if he knew his Beloved Creation wouldn't going to be in the best Crossover Fighting game of this generation I would really be upset. I would say Metal Gear does have a pretty rich history with Nintendo. If wouldn't for Metal Gear NES being so successful and selling over 1 million copies Kojima would never continued the series. MGS: The Twin Snake's can be considered one of the best Third Party Game's for the NGC of all time and with Legendary developer Shigeru Miyamoto over-seeing development. The most recent MGS game on a Nintendo platform was 2012 Snake Eater 3D which is getting a E-Shop release soon to NA and JP
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/482931681419358209. I don't think Nintendo would mind keeping Snake there pretty much now catering to there Fanbase now with Operation Rainfall coming to NA and Earthbound coming to the Wii U VC in NA as well. Were pretty much in the same shoes as we were in Brawl, MGS4 released like what 2 months after Brawl released and pretty much limited the "Promotional Material" They was just the Love Theme (Brawl Remix) and a Gekko appearing in the Background of Shadow Moses.

Want: 100% One of my favorite characters of all time I would really be upset if he didn't return and many others in the Competitive Scene would be too!
Great job man. You summed up everything we've been talking about in this thread for 15+ pages in one pretty little paragraph. I approve. Keep up the good work.
Every time I see something positive about this I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside and it's wonderful.
:D

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so if any other Snake haters think that Snake wouldn't fit visually in the game, look at this picture and tell me that a realistic Marth fits with a very simple, cartoony stage background. As I've said before, there is no certain art style to Smash, it's a combination.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Okay, so if any other Snake haters think that Snake wouldn't fit visually in the game, look at this picture and tell me that a realistic Marth fits with a very simple, cartoony stage background. As I've said before, there is no certain art style to Smash, it's a combination.
What is that stage? I'm assuming it's Wii U but I haven't seen it before.
It is pretty cartoony though, even Pacman looks out of place in it. I'm loving that fire hydrant though, just chilling there, I bet it does something evil. It will KO people, I will bet my life on it.
On another note do you think that if we had the codecs than Sakurai would still ship Samus and Snake? What was the ship name...
Oh yeah that's right.
Snakus.
Do you think Snakus is still Sakurai's OTP?
Thus Katty proves that she has spent too much time on Tumblr and has become fluent in fan-speak.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
We have already seen many elements of Snakes moves used for other characters but this is the final strike for Snake.
http://lite-agent.minus.com/i/hQGspGNCDsK1

Capt. Falcon stole his Ass :troll:
Ps: I want Snake back and am simply kidding, anything interesting to help his chances?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
What is that stage? I'm assuming it's Wii U but I haven't seen it before.
It is pretty cartoony though, even Pacman looks out of place in it. I'm loving that fire hydrant though, just chilling there, I bet it does something evil. It will KO people, I will bet my life on it.
On another note do you think that if we had the codecs than Sakurai would still ship Samus and Snake? What was the ship name...
Oh yeah that's right.
Snakus.
Do you think Snakus is still Sakurai's OTP?
Thus Katty proves that she has spent too much time on Tumblr and has become fluent in fan-speak.
That is is Pac-Land, from the NES game "Pac-Land" (the first scrolling platform ever made). It's Pac-Man stage on Wii U.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
That is is Pac-Land, from the NES game "Pac-Land" (the first scrolling platform ever made). It's Pac-Man stage on Wii U.
Thanks.
We have already seen many elements of Snakes moves used for other characters but this is the final strike for Snake.

Capt. Falcon stole his *** :troll:
Ps: I want Snake back and am simply kidding, anything interesting to help his chances?
We will now wage war against the Captain Falcon thread about who has a superior butt.
I haven't heard anything of note recently.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Capt. Falcon stole his *** :troll:
CF can't beat Snack's butt. Nor can Snack beat CF's nipples.

O'Condor

Smash Rookie
NNID
VincSnow
Guys, do you think Sakurai know fans are expecting him to come back? Would it listen? What could we do in order to make him add Snake? Like Sonic's last inclusion (in brawl)?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think he's aware of it - I know he's mentioned that both Snake and Sonic were popular additions to Brawl when discussing third party characters for this game.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/07/masahiro-sakurai-talks-super-smash-bros-4

I just can't see him adding only one of Brawl's two third party characters - it would seems like a really odd decision, especially since most of the difficult aspects seem like they would have already been dealt with when the characters were being made for Brawl.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I think he's aware of it - I know he's mentioned that both Snake and Sonic were popular additions to Brawl when discussing third party characters for this game.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/08/07/masahiro-sakurai-talks-super-smash-bros-4

I just can't see him adding only one of Brawl's two third party characters - it would seems like a really odd decision, especially since most of the difficult aspects seem like they would have already been dealt with when the characters were being made for Brawl.
Add this argument to the pile guys as for why Snake will return, okay?

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Here's some Counter Argument's I found over at Gamefaqs
He's not Nintendo enough! Snake appeared on a Nintendo console far before Sonic, a confirmed character. Sonic's first appearance on a Nintendo console was in 2001. Snake appeared on a Nintendo console as early as 1988. So Snake already has more history on Nintendo than Sonic. You can argue, you didn't want Sonic in either but I see very few anti-Snake people making that point. You can argue that Sonic has more history WITH Nintendo than on it, meriting his inclusion, and that is a fair point. But it still doesn't mean he is Nintendo or ever will be. He is Sega as Sega can be.

Snake was a bad character in Brawl!
Snake is currently 6th on the tier list in Brawl. You can say you were never good with the character, that is why you don't want him in and that is fair. But you cannot say that means the larger point that he is badly designed just because you specifically were not good with using him. That makes no sense. How does your personal experience rate the same as the combined personal experience of thousands of committed Brawl players?

It will drive sales to the PS4 and XboxOne!
Like I said before, people act like Nintendo is directly competing against the PS4 and XboxOne. Here's a newsflash - they aren't and they haven't been for awhile now. They aren't competing on hardware, they aren't competing with similar marketing strategies either. Their strategy seems to be to position themselves as the second console, not as someone's primary console. That's one reason they got such a huge market share the last generation, because while most gamers either owned a PS3 or an Xbox360, enough of both owned a Wii to help boost it over the edge. The fact that Metal Gear games aren't made for Wii U means literally nothing because making high end graphic games to directly compete with the bigs is not part of their strategy anymore anyway.

Snake clashes with Smash Brothers 4 visual style!
All of the characters are designed to look like they are in the appearances of their games, and since their games have different styles for the most part, it is a misnomer to say that it is even possible to have one visual style for all the characters, or that there was one in the first place. Hell Toon Link is cel shaded and Game and Watch doesn't even exist in the 3rd dimension. If you aren't arguing for the removal of those characters for clashing with the other character's visual style then I don't know how you can do that for Snake.

Cutting Snake means there is more room for another Konami character!
No it doesn't. Why would they have to cut an already designed and realized character to make room for another character from the same company that they'd have to come up with from scratch? It's not like there is a rule that says there can be only one Konami character. Your other most wanted Konami character rises and falls on its own merits, and has nothing to do with Snake being in the game as well.

There may be some I am missing, but for the most part this covers the biggest reasons I keep seeing floating around out there. If you can think of another reason why, please let me know. Also I will add that many of these reasons are used as reason why Snake WON'T be in and they are just as wrong arguing that position too. Snake has about as much chance to get cut as any other veteran character at this point. It was never indicated that Konami was loaning Snake out for a one-time appearance so being so certain he is to be cut makes no sense.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69260873

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I'm just going to paste everything I said in the chance thread here:
Snake:
Chance: 77%
I’ve been planning this one for days. Many of these inspired by the lovable Snake thread:
[Collapse=Positives]
Praised as a “Superb addition” by Sakurai, the first third party character in Smash Bros, not overshadowed by Sonic to Sakurai, Sakurai hates cuts.

Goes without saying. He’s pretty important to Smash Bros. Nearly every interview that mentioned third-party before 2014 had Sakurai mention “Snake and Sonic”, so he’s not bias in one direction. Sakurai knows there’s a great fanbase for every character in Smash Bros, and I’m sure it would punish him to cut Snake, especially since his inclusion made a different audience want to play the game.

Metal Gear Solid 3D came out a few months before development started.

One of the best things he has going for him, and the perfect reason “He’s not on Nintendo” means nothing. Kid Icarus Uprising and Fire Emblem Awakening came out slightly before development started, and they’re getting a great bundle of love in this game. It’s definitely an ace for why Snake may return (or Big Boss will take his place), especially considering how much love that game got from Nintendo (You could shotgun Yoshi!). His current status with MGSV wouldn’t mean anything, unless they’ll axe him mid development for not watering it down for Wii U (like MGS4, rite?)

Sakurai’s 2012 tweet:

This tweet means, in early development phases, Metal Gear was on his mind. So he didn’t forget about Snake. Hey, I thought his Crush 40 tweet meant Sonic was returning, and I thought his Shulk tweet meant Shulk was joining, and look how that’s going!

Nobody saying “No”

This is another good point. Watch the Smash Bros talk at about 28:43 in the video:
And watch around 6:45 of this video:

Notice: These 2 have not said flat out “no”. “IDK” and “Um…we have not announced um…Solid Snake yet” were the responses. So his chances aren’t hurt by it at all, and we can give him brownie points for not getting killed off yet.

Also, that laughter was uncanny. I won’t bring that up into a factor, since maybe Kojima laughed at the random question, but I do think it’s the “hiding something” kind of laughter.

Choking animation:

This one is somewhat of a push, but if people bring up “sleep is in this game” in favor of Jigglypuff, then I shall bring this up:

See how Fox is grasping for his neck? It’s similar to the animation characters used while grabbed by Snake in Brawl. That was literally the only time that animation was ever used in Brawl, to my memory.

Now think, they brought tripping back and its primarily used by Diddy Kong, but also appears in some other ways such as the Tingle AT (I think)…this can be a case of recycling animations/mechanics for an item that are also used in a moveset.
Rayman trophy:

Okay, this is only worth a mention: If they went out to Ubisoft just for a Rayman trophy, why would they not go out to Konami for a popular fighter? Its only worth a mention since it can be nothing, but its pretty bad if they only went to Ubisoft for that but didn't do a thing with Konami.

[/collapse]
[collapse=Negatives]

…Or negative counters.

“He doesn’t fit.”

*Sigh* Smash Bros is a crossover. It’s never been about fitting in when choosing the roster; they make the character fit in. I will admit, his neck snapping was a little harsh for this type of game, but if they had that before, I doubt this would suddenly be a reason Sakurai won’t add him in again. Compared to some of the stuff he does in Metal Gear, the stuff he does in SSB isn’t that out of place either.

“He’s not on Nintendo.”

Read: Positives: Metal Gear Solid 3D.

“Kojima said idk.”

Actually, Trolljima said “(Uncanny asian laughter) idk!” As mentioned, Kojima could have just said flat out “No” if he knew he’s out, and couldn’t if he was in. Not to mention, a Sega developer and Namco developer said the exact same thing on Sonic and Pac-Man, so it really doesn’t hurt his chance.

“Shiek stole his grenades; Zero Suit Samus stole his Final Smash!”

I know. This is why I give up. It’s done. Snake will never return! They gave similar attacks to other fighters! Goodbye, Snake, you will never join again because of these copycat chicks.

“He hasn’t been revealed yet. They would have revealed him before Pac-Man if he was still in.”

Oh really? Really?! Watch, there will be a live stream, be it for an event or Nintendo Direct, where the world will explode with surprise as soon as they hear:

“Kept you waiting, huh?”

“He’s Third Party.”

And this is the only reason I can’t give him a higher score. Third Party isn’t as easy to get as others after all. However, I doubt it’ll be that much of a problem if Sakurai can get Rayman just for a trophy. Also, I believe the limit to 3 3rd party characters exist as much as the 2 FE character limit does: False crap made by the Smash community. There is no limit, at least low enough to squeeze a veteran in.

…In case you didn’t get it, there’s pretty much no real negative against him besides being third party. I suppose people can take the Kojima comment the other way though.[/collapse]

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I always hear this. An "Advance Wars Character can take his Moveset" but Advance Wars hasn't had a game since the Gameboy Days (right)?

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I'm just going to paste everything I said in the chance thread here:
Love it.
Sakurai is just trolling us with Snake, any day now and he'll be revealed. Than everything will explode as all the anti-Snake people just quietly flee to save face about having been so ridiculously wrong.
Having snake in brawl was amazing and I fully support his return.
( As long as he's voiced by David hayter :) )
I hope he's voiced by David Hayter but Keith Sutherland's voice never particularly bothered me in Ground Zeros. So I have a preference but I wouldn't throw a temper tantrum if we don't get Hayter.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Since I'm too lazy to browse 63 pages of thread I'm gonna bring up the fact that a central reason Kojima asked for Snake in Melee was so that his son could see his father's work in an accessible game for slightly younger audiences.

How many of you are under 18 and yet Metal Gear fans? Be honest :4pacman:

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
Man, all these Loomers need to stop hatin on Snake. It's quite shallow, perhaps Only Shallow. Snake's inclusion in Brawl Touched me in ways that no other character can compare to. Perhaps they should Come in Alone into this thread instead of in groups; or at least not When You Sleep.

I Only Said this once, but I'll say it again: Snake is what I want and I know Snake is What You Want; but Sometimes I doubt his chances. I have Blown a Wish for him and hope to see him Soon. Regarding when I think we'll seem him, it's really To Here Knows When.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone read Japanese? This is one of the popular Miiverse posts on the japanese Smash Community, I'm curious about what it says...

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Does anyone read Japanese? This is one of the popular Miiverse posts on the japanese Smash Community, I'm curious about what it says...
I sent a Message to the Creator of this post (don't worry it's in Japanese) here's what some comments say
スネーク改めスネックの参戦にご期待ください- Please look forward to participation of snake revised Sunekku
あれ?確かスマブラに参戦してるスネークはネイキッドじゃなくてソリッドだったはず- That one? Snake that is competing in the Smash Bros. is certainly should have been solid rather're naked
I'll let you know when the user contacts me! :ness:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Since I'm too lazy to browse 63 pages of thread I'm gonna bring up the fact that a central reason Kojima asked for Snake in Melee was so that his son could see his father's work in an accessible game for slightly younger audiences.

How many of you are under 18 and yet Metal Gear fans? Be honest :4pacman:
Brawl made me get into Metal Gear at the age of 12.
Yup. MGS3 and 2 were the first M rated games I ever bought.
(In case someone ask, i'm 17 now.)

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
17 and playing MGS1 right now

I love the series and 3 is one of my favorite games

Top Bottom