• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Wait, the fact that MGS had more games on Nintendo Console than Olimar, Cp. Falcon ecc. doesn't mean anything for Snake inclusion. Pikmin, F-Zero, Mother and Starfox had the 100% of games on Nintendo Console, while Snake had like...25%? I understand that you want him back, but insinuate that Snake deserve to be in Smash more than Olimar or Cp. Falcon is just mad!

BTW, I never posted here because I can't decide what to think about Snake's inclusion. I enjoyed him in Brawl, and after his inclusion, I've bought my first MGS (Snake Eater on the 3DS) and I loved it. While I don't see him playable due to the lack of recent relevance on Nintendo console after Snake Eater 3D, at the same time, Snake's inclusion would be the perfect excuse for put The Twin Snakes on the Wii U VC (after the reveal of the Game Cube Controller Adaptor. I'm sure we will see Game Cube games on the VC) or the Collection with MGS 1, MGS 2 and MGS3 relased on PS360...

About the "fitting" I think that he fitted well in Brawl, but he looks a little too "realistic" for the art-style of Smash Wii U/3DS (but they can make him like ZSS style, a little more cartoony). Another problem was his grab, too violent and dark (but they could change it without great troubles, I guess). For the rest, He doesn't have problems.

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Wait, the fact that MGS had more games on Nintendo Console than Olimar, Cp. Falcon ecc. doesn't mean anything for Snake inclusion. Pikmin, F-Zero, Mother and Starfox had the 100% of games on Nintendo Console, while Snake had like...25%? I understand that you want him back, but insinuate that Snake deserve to be in Smash more than Olimar or Cp. Falcon is just mad!

BTW, I never posted here because I can't decide what to think about Snake's inclusion. I enjoyed him in Brawl, and after his inclusion, I've bought my first MGS (Snake Eater on the 3DS) and I loved it. While I don't see him playable due to the lack of recent relevance on Nintendo console after Snake Eater 3D, at the same time, Snake's inclusion would be the perfect excuse for put The Twin Snakes on the Wii U VC (after the reveal of the Game Cube Controller Adaptor. I'm sure we will see Game Cube games on the VC) or the Collection with MGS 1, MGS 2 and MGS3 relased on PS360...

About the "fitting" I think that he fitted well in Brawl, but he looks a little too "realistic" for the art-style of Smash Wii U/3DS (but they can make him like ZSS style, a little more cartoony). Another problem was his grab, too violent and dark (but they could change it without great troubles, I guess). For the rest, He doesn't have problems.
Come! Come to the dark side and believe in Snake's return!
We have cookies...
I've been thinking a bit and it occurred to me that of the two third party characters we had in Brawl, each had exactly one stage if I'm not mistakes. I have come to believe that each third party series will get only one stage. Although it's hard to say if it'll be a trend due to the fact that we only have brawl as an indicator. So if we assume that we will only get one MGS stage what do think we'll get? The classic Shadow Moses or something new?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I can agree with that, third parties have no correlation with 1st party characters in that way, they aren't at all comparable in that sense. Anyway welcome, and im glad you enjoyed mgs3d.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I can agree with that, third parties have no correlation with 1st party characters in that way, they aren't at all comparable in that sense. Anyway welcome, and im glad you enjoyed mgs3d.
On the note of that I agree 3rd parties should not for any reason be better choices than first parties.
With that said as it stands at this point in time Snake is more deserving than any 3rd party besides, maybe, Sonic, he is-and always will be-a veteran making him more "deserving" than any other 3rd party.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Come! Come to the dark side and believe in Snake's return!
We have cookies...
I've been thinking a bit and it occurred to me that of the two third party characters we had in Brawl, each had exactly one stage if I'm not mistakes. I have come to believe that each third party series will get only one stage. Although it's hard to say if it'll be a trend due to the fact that we only have brawl as an indicator. So if we assume that we will only get one MGS stage what do think we'll get? The classic Shadow Moses or something new?
and believe in Snake's return!
We have cookies...
I've been thinking a bit and it occurred to me
We have cookies...
You had get me!!
BTW, about TP stages, Pac-Man had two stages, one on 3DS and one on Wii U, so I think that, if Snake is back, he will get the exact same treatment (and this also for Sonic and MegaMan). IMO, a MGS3D stage would be amazing for the 3DS (I would love the Sokrovenno Forest), but I don't know what expect for Wii U.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
maybe sakurai should replace Snake with the Pain from MGS3 ... but i guess people would argue that fighting with bee superwpowers is too grisly?

plus who said that neck snaps can't be cartoony?
http://www.teamfortress.com/tf02_unhappy_returns/#f=41

yeah he killed a person terrible and all. but i don't see why it should be worse than atacking with a sword, or burning someone's face with third degrees burns.
In fact flamethrowers are one of the most grissly weapons ever created by humanity. in vietnam they had them mostly for psychological warfare, and flamethrower users were the most hated soldier ever. to the point that if one was captured he would be lucky with just an execution.

and does snake even do neck snaps? I always though that he did choke grabs. which is a kind of grab people use when the DON'T want to kill the victim (if hollywood have teached me something :V)

Plus in MGS you can beat the game killing very few people, considering how useful is the tranquilizer gun and that combat is supposed to be avoided.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
maybe sakurai should replace Snake with the Pain from MGS3 ... but i guess people would argue that fighting with bee superwpowers is too grisly?
Solid Snake/Big Boss and I guess you can say Raiden best represent the series. The Pain was never a main character or not that important. But The Pain would be a Great Assist Trophy/Stage Hazard. :ness:

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Snake eater is a good start, too bad I have not played it yet but want too. You can either move on to peace walker or start of solid snake's story with metal gear 1. Welcome aboard.

Also, has anyone here tried Metal Gear Acid? I might consider trying it out, is it good?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Oh yeah, I would rather not partake at all. That philosophy is there to make sure I understand that I shouldn't seek fights and doing all that I can to avoid them is morally correct. If I do get in a fight than I followed a different ideology of "No faith, no mercy". For example if someone attacks me barehanded, like a shove, and I defend in whatever way. I made it clear that I can defend myself effectively. If they attack again they have not shown faith I show them no mercy. If they're armed I'll cut to the chase and break bones. If they're armed I assume they're trying to kill me and I'll repay in kind by killing them if they struggle. My life before theirs.
That's actually what I like about Metal Gear, where you can chose not to kill people and violence is treated as a very bad thing.

Not your argument, but others were talking about violence, I addressed yours in a different post. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Beautiful point.
I agree. The combat philosophy I follow is "Avoid, Deter, Descalate, Devastate." I avoid a fight as much as I can,but when the opponent makes contact, I crush them. Killing is a last resort depending on the situation, because of a legal battle that would ensue, and the fact that I'm not trained to kill. I do agree that if the enemy is trying to kill me, I'll do my best to kill them first.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Don't forget Barbie!
And Simon Belmont and the Guy from Adventure Island.
...And... the best character of all time......

The Easter Island Head.:troll:

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Anyone else feel bad when you hold up a guard and they beg for their life?

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
I agree. The combat philosophy I follow is "Avoid, Deter, Descalate, Devastate." I avoid a fight as much as I can,but when the opponent makes contact, I crush them. Killing is a last resort depending on the situation, because of a legal battle that would ensue, and the fact that I'm not trained to kill. I do agree that if the enemy is trying to kill me, I'll do my best to kill them first.
Both are very good, but when you're 5'5, 125 lb and female there's not much of a gray area. Either you're going to get the crap kicked out of you or you kick the crap out of someone else. I used to believe in the idea that you give what you take but I've come to realize that that's not going to fly for someone my skill level and size.
I'm always like "awww.... poor baby!"
*tranquilizes guard*
*Drags guard into corner*
*leaves guard there*

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Not really, since i know they would have now qualms about shooting me if given the chance. But in most cases i knock them out, or drop them on their rear end with CQC.

On the whole neck snapping thing, you know when i think about it, i dont think thats ever been an option in the games. You can put a guy to sleep with a headlock, or slit his throat, but i think the neck snap was a product of sakurai and team. Correct me if im wrong though, i cant remember since its been a while since ive played some of the older titles.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Both are very good, but when you're 5'5, 125 lb and female there's not much of a gray area. Either you're going to get the crap kicked out of you or you kick the crap out of someone else. I used to believe in the idea that you give what you take but I've come to realize that that's not going to fly for someone my skill level and size.

I'm always like "awww.... poor baby!"
*tranquilizes guard*
*Drags guard into corner*
*leaves guard there*
That's what the devastate part is. If they get physical, beat the **** out of them. So I pretty much agree with you.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Not really, since i know they would have now qualms about shooting me if given the chance. But in most cases i knock them out, or drop them on their rear end with CQC.

On the whole neck snapping thing, you know when i think about it, i dont think thats ever been an option in the games. You can put a guy to sleep with a headlock, or slit his throat, but i think the neck snap was a product of sakurai and team. Correct me if im wrong though, i cant remember since its been a while since ive played some of the older titles.
In The Twin Snakes and Metal Gear Solid 2 you could snap their necks by pressing the attack button repeatedly while holding them.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
That's what the devastate part is. If they get physical, beat the **** out of them. So I pretty much agree with you.
Beautiful. Love it.
I love how in Metal Gear you're like "I won't kill these guards because it's a bad thing to do but it's perfectly justified if they attempt to kill me". I know it's a point on the horrors of war and all those terrible things about killing people but...
Who am I kidding? I'm listening to Enclosure and I'm crying over freaking Sniper Wolf and...
It's sad.
I feel sad.
Ah, yes now i remember.
I could totally imagine you sipping on tea while saying that. But I also imagine you as a Big Boss because of your avatar and now I have the image of Big Boss daintily drinking tea like a gentlemen.
Thanks for that.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Although I feel bad about killing some of the guards, I show no mercy to the guy who finds me and calls the attack team.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
"Patrol here!"

Yeah, screw that guy. He always kicks me too when I try to stop him.
Yeah you always try to be nice and knock him down non-lethally and then he kicks you??
At that point I'm like "Screw you! Where's my F****** Patriot!"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
When I first played Ground Zeroes, I avoided using the tranquilizer when I could, I would usually just knock them out by hand.

...I would then proceed to drag each enemy to a cliff so I could toss them off. I'm not sure if that makes me more or less sadistic.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If I remember correctly...Snake had a different grab in the Beta of Brawl.
You mean this one?
It was very impressive, but I don't think it would have worked on all characters as it's a very specific grab.
That's probably the reason it was changed.
When I first played Ground Zeroes, I avoided using the tranquilizer when I could, I would usually just knock them out by hand.

...I would then proceed to drag each enemy to a cliff so I could toss them off. I'm not sure if that makes me more or less sadistic.
More, definitely more, to go through all that trouble just to throw them off a cliff?
That's pretty messed up.:laugh:

Last edited:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984

I go extreme sadistic on the "acquire classifed intel mission" contact in that game. I almost alway's shoot him in the hand before I interrogate him, and normally come back to kill him in different ways later :laugh:

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
Tbh as someone who loved the MGS games but really hated how snake played in Brawl (no offence to anyone who liked it) I'd like to see Snake back in the game, but with an overhaul on his movesets. IMO he should be super grapple-reliant (maybe even having 2 grabs) as CQC is one of the biggest combat mechanics of the games, especially MGS4 and the like. I also think his up+b is kinda disappointing, and I find his wide array of explosive options weird since he's characterized in the games by being a stealth character, something like his tranq gun or sleeping gas mines rather than his explosive mines would make more sense I think.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Does anybody else think they might as well replace the Cypher with a Fulton Balloon? It could be functionally identical while still being more true to the series. I guess it's more of a Big Boss thing than a Solid Snake thing, so depending on which character they decide to draw more inspiration from this time, I guess it could go either way. It just seems like such an obvious change to me. Maybe it could even be a custom variation of the cypher?

Last edited:

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
tbh the character could easily be big boss or solid snake, really doesn't matter, can have elements from both since its just "snake"

Fulton sounds way cooler

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Tbh as someone who loved the MGS games but really hated how snake played in Brawl (no offence to anyone who liked it) I'd like to see Snake back in the game, but with an overhaul on his movesets. IMO he should be super grapple-reliant (maybe even having 2 grabs) as CQC is one of the biggest combat mechanics of the games, especially MGS4 and the like. I also think his up+b is kinda disappointing, and I find his wide array of explosive options weird since he's characterized in the games by being a stealth character, something like his tranq gun or sleeping gas mines rather than his explosive mines would make more sense I think.

I see were you are coming from.
I think they did well with what they had. Snake essentially either has distancing attacks...which set up for the ranged attacks or the ability to plan a "sneaky" attack via Mines/C4 (grenades and mortars semi this cat). I would personally would love it if they had more moves like the Mine or C4 because you actually are almost forced to plan ahead and "gather intel" in order to be effective in battle. That's all you can really do in regards to mirroring stealth in a fighting game.

Plant this mine for several seconds, bazooka'd the dude to said mine. KO Check. Boom. "Kept you waiting, huh?"

C4 to the back of someone else. Choke/Neck Snap (apparently) into group of 4 others. Bam..."TASTY!"

"That takes care of the cremation."

I think this is a reason I can't see him going/don't want him to go.
He has a unique moveset. They should expand on it. No one else plays like him. Playing Snake is not something a dumb person can accomplish effectively. You need to plan ahead and create set-ups and distance when needed. That is the point of the character.

...And paragraphs/life stories later, and why I quoted you, is because CQC should be used. It was relatively fledgling when Brawl came out but became more prominent and now all of the more recent games have had it. Makes sense for the character and would lend itself to his overall gameplay. CQC for the opportunity to set up "planning ahead" attacks. You could also get rid of the whole "neck snap" issue in one swoop.

I also do agree with the Fulton, but that is more akin to Big Boss than Snake.
I am a broken record at this point, but I think if we do get a Snake it will be Big Boss (for reasons, see older posts) Entirely possible they will stick with Solid, but Big Boss is plausible and more relative to the current state of the series than Solid, at this particular moment. ("replacement" akin to Young Link to Toon Link)

Last edited:
Top Bottom