• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I really urge people not to take those tweets as a hint at something. As was said already, Rob Paulsen was tagged because Ash Paulsen is his son and due to some weird twitter magic because I don't know how twitter works I don't use it. Konami's E3 event runs from 10/6-12/6 according to events.konami.com

Both could quite easily be coincidences are hint at nothing. I'm hoping for Snake but don't get your hopes so high because of these tweets in particular, adjust them back down to normal levels.
Alternatively, party like it's 2004 (or 2007, or 2014, or 1960 something).

UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Sorry to be a downer, but I feel like someone needs to play Devils advocate here.

There's really nothing here to suggest a Smash connection here aside from the date. The "Snake returns" line is a bit odd, but IMO that could just as easily hint at a possible return of Solid Snake to the MGS series (after 2+ straight games of focus on Big Boss).

Still, here's to hoping it hints at Snake' Revenge return.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Even more possible evidence that Snake is included in Smash is that How come he wasn't in PSASBR think about why would they choose Raiden over top Solid Snake Because Snake is a Smash Character and always will be apart of the Super Smash Bros Family!

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
Sorry to be a downer, but I feel like someone needs to play Devils advocate here.

There's really nothing here to suggest a Smash connection here aside from the date. The "Snake returns" line is a bit odd, but IMO that could just as easily hint at a possible return of Solid Snake to the MGS series (after 2+ straight games of focus on Big Boss).

Still, here's to hoping it hints at Snake' Revenge return.
Yeah I'd honestly say counting on that to mean anything for Smash is borderline grasping, but I figured it was worth a mention since so many people went wild over it.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Could Nintendo be getting MGS5? Sorry if this is a stupid question, just wondering. I don't really play Metal Gear.

Although if this were the case it would make Snake even more likely.

And 44 guests looking at this thread? Holy crap!
MGS5 is the first main series MGS title to not be Sony exclusive if I'm not mistaken, since it's also coming out on Xbox 360 and One. There has also been a lot of tablet work done on it, although that's been with 3rd party tablets.

With that said, I don't think it's terribly likely, but it could still happen. Snake doesn't really need that for Smash though, but if it's announced on June 6th I think he's guaranteed to be confirmed June 10th.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Now he is! I don't typically post on Smashboards (things here move a little too quickly for my taste) but thanks very much for the positive feedback on my blog.
Awesome job on the blog! At worst, I always felt that Snake had a 50/50 chance of being in, but after reading your article, and going over the evidence, I feeled reassured that Snake is going to be in. You definetly have some very "Solid" arguments!

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
MGS5 is the first main series MGS title to not be Sony exclusive if I'm not mistaken, since it's also coming out on Xbox 360 and One. There has also been a lot of tablet work done on it, although that's been with 3rd party tablets.

With that said, I don't think it's terribly likely, but it could still happen. Snake doesn't really need that for Smash though, but if it's announced on June 6th I think he's guaranteed to be confirmed June 10th.
bit off topic but how did you get that banner

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I like that article. I'm still convinced he'll be back, but it was just a feeling before reading that. Now I'm even more assured.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Even more possible evidence that Snake is included in Smash is that How come he wasn't in PSASBR think about why would they choose Raiden over top Solid Snake Because Snake is a Smash Character and always will be apart of the Super Smash Bros Family!
PS All Stars was pretty much used a promotional tool by third parties. Since Metal Gear Rising was coming out (and we didn't really know of MGSV by the time Raiden was revealed), it made sense to include Raiden instead.

Plus, PS All Stars was an unproven IP. They couldn't risk putting someone whose name is as big as Snake, even if characters like Nathan Drake and Kratos were there, but on the other hand Raiden wasn't popular so they could do it. (Although his popularity really rose with Rising. Pun completely intended.)

Last edited:

SmashCast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EpicPJ516
Thing is, though...

If the Phantom Pain comes to Wii U, Smash can promote that.
Kojima literally doesn't have to do any work for Snake to get in, he just has to approve of the idea, which he has. It doesn't get in the way of TPP.
He might not have fit in, but at this point if we've already had him in Brawl it shouldn't matter anymore.
tbh, it probably won't. The most recent MGS game we saw on a Nintendo console was Snake Eater 3D, and that was a remake. I just don't think Snake fits in.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Expecting Phantom Pain to be on the Wii U is reaching imo.

But I don't think it matters. That's Big Boss' game, it doesn't have anything to do with Snake.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
tbh, it probably won't. The most recent MGS game we saw on a Nintendo console was Snake Eater 3D, and that was a remake. I just don't think Snake fits in.
The most recent MGS game we had before Brawl was a remake.

Khoru

Smash Champion

But I don't think it matters. That's Big Boss' game, it doesn't have anything to do with Snake.
ssbb snake totally incorporated components of both solid and naked snake though

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
The most recent MGS game we had before Brawl was a remake.
That was Portable Ops, actually. Released in 2006.
Snake Eater (the game that got the remake) was released in 2004.

But if you're going by the most recently released game before Brawl started development, then yes, it was Snake Eater.

Not counting the non-canon games like Acid, btw.

----

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
ssbb snake totally incorporated components of both solid and naked snake though
The character was clearly based on Solid Snake though.

Eh my point is, I don't think Phantom Pain really has that much influence in Snake's inclusion.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

Kojima hasen't forgotten about Solid Snake though. He implemented him in the Deja Vu Mission.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Kojima hasen't forgotten about Solid Snake though. He implemented him in the Deja Vu Mission.
That was a neat DLC (or exclusive mission? I forgot.) for Ground Zeroes that was PS exclusive. It didn't really have anything to do with Phantom Pain. :p

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Are you the One that has that weekly show on youtube I think im subscribed to you. I Disagree with you 100% when you say Snake don't "Fits in"

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That was Portable Ops, actually. Released in 2006.
I meant on a Nintendo system. :p

;o. But, this wasn't recent. Snake Eater 3D came out in 2012. I would say Snake has a rather low chance at the moment.
Twin Snakes came out in 2004.

That's four years before Brawl was released. That's LONGER than the period of time between Snake Eater 3D and SSB4.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I know. I'm just saying that Kojmima hasn't forgot about Solid Snake.
I don't think I said otherwise. Phantom Pain is focused on Big Boss, Snake isn't really involved beyond the exclusive mission. It's like MGS3.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
;o. But, this wasn't recent. Snake Eater 3D came out in 2012. I would say Snake has a rather low chance at the moment.
Pit's in his last game was in 2011
Fox is in his last game was a remake in 2011
Samus/ZSS there in there last game was in 2010
Megaman is in his last game was in 2010
Little Mac is in his last game was 2009
Snake has had a recent game on a Nintendo platform compared to them!!!

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
Pit's in his last game was in 2011
Fox is in his last game was a remake in 2011
Samus/ZSS there in there last game was in 2010
Megaman is in his last game was in 2010
Little Mac is in his last game was 2009
Snake has had a recent game on a Nintendo platform compared to them!!!
Exactly, and I tried to make a good point of this in that write-up. You can't say Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade deserve new characters for having such recent games when they all came out within a couple months of MGS3D.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I don't think I said otherwise. Phantom Pain is focused on Big Boss, Snake isn't really involved beyond the exclusive mission. It's like MGS3.
I don't know where this conversation is going. I was just pointing out the fact Snake is still (somewhat) relevant with the new games and thier promotion still (kind of) affects his chances.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
EDIT: Spinosaurus Ninja'd me

Unrelated: 15 people viewing this thread, good work guys!

Last edited:

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
The fact that you don't think Snake fits in means nothing against his chances. Sakurai thought he fit in just fine. In fact, he loves Snake's inclusion in Brawl.

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
They'll just reuse the Brawl voices. Also, if they're paying Geoff Keighley to host the invitational they probably have some money lying around.
Wouldn't they just have to pay him in Doritos and Mountain Dew?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Top Bottom