• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the support list in the OP is outdated. Would anyone want to update it or maybe just add a poll to the thread? I'd go through the thread and do it myself but I did that for IC and I'm a bit tired from it.

EDIT: Happy 200th page. :4shulk:

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Well, looks like we've reached page 200! I don't think we should do celebration (as small as it would be) but be happy that we've gotten this far.

While I'm not sure why Snake needs a re-rate, I would like to revise my chances on him with the recent information that has come out. I feel like Snake MIGHT go up one spot in chances, or possibly go down in chances. Either way, it doesn't matter, and all that matters is that we continue supporting our cloned solider.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Yeah 200 pages! And we got here faster than we did to 100!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
We reached page 200,and well before the relase of MGSV, which was unexpected for me! The support is strong for the soldier!

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Happy 200th page everybody!
Predicting Rate their chances for tomorrow, calling it now: Shantae's rating will be low of chances and want but Snake's rating will be higher in both chances and want because of familiarity and demand.
How do you think tomorrow's RTC will go?

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
:snake:200 pages! :snake:

I didn't expect to be back when we were still on page 200, but i'm glad I didn't miss out on this!

The pages just flew by after the ballot was announced, and hopefully the support will get stronger!

Last edited:

Crocodile19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crocodile19
I hope that Snake makes it into the top votes of the ballot so he has a chance to come back.

I don't want Snake to keep us waiting any longer. :/

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I hope that Snake makes it into the top votes of the ballot so he has a chance to come back.

I don't want Snake to keep us waiting any longer. :/
He's probably top 3 if anything...after Shantae and Wolf. King K Rool fans gave up on him quickly.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
He's probably top 3 if anything...after Shantae and Wolf. King K Rool fans gave up on him quickly.
I don't think shantae is even that high. There's Japan who don't even care for her and the casuals.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
200 hype.

Some of the more popular choices confuse me. Like, I can't see why people would want Shantae over like, Banjo Kazooie. I suppose it's the timing. Old classics aren't in the front of people's minds like they once were.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
200 hype.

Some of the more popular choices confuse me. Like, I can't see why people would want Shantae over like, Banjo Kazooie. I suppose it's the timing. Old classics aren't in the front of people's minds like they once were.
I think it's more to do with people voting for the character that has a better chance of joining the roster. If Rare went third party completely instead of being owned by Microsoft then you can bet people would be voting in droves for Banjo. Instead he's owned by MS and Shantae isn't which gives her a very minuscule edge over Banjo.

I don't think the Smash roster should add indies yet. They're ultimately still third parties and with some notable absentees (:snake:, Simon Belmont, Rayman and Black Mage to name a few) I'm against indie characters for now as they'd look really out of place next to legends like :snake::4sonic::4ryu::4megaman::4pacman: etc. It's why I find Shantae to be a very overrated character for Smash 4.

Anyways back to the legendary soldier that is Solid Snake.
What sort of skins/alts should Snake have? I like the following 8:
Sneaking Suit (Twin Snakes/Sons of Liberty)
Old Snake (Guns of the Patriots)
Olive Drab (Snake Eater)
Animal camo (Snake Eater)
Punished Snake (Phantom Pain)
Tuxedo (Snake Eater)
Fire Camo (Snake Eater)
Big Boss (Guns of the Patriots)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I don't think shantae is even that high. There's Japan who don't even care for her and the casuals.
Japan no, but America yeah. The Shantae threads and WayForward are probably the biggest reasons, like how Snake mains and MGS fans want Snake back in Smash.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
To celebrate 200 pages, look what turned up on quas-quas' DeviantArt~

disclaimer: not it's own card yet, he hasn't posted it for some reason and was taken from the giant collab image

Capture.PNG

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Japan no, but America yeah. The Shantae threads and WayForward are probably the biggest reasons, like how Snake mains and MGS fans want Snake back in Smash.
She probably isn't as high in America too. She seems to be one of those fad characters, eventually someone else will take the spotlight. It has happened to others like Geno.

Is it bad that I kind of want Bandai Namco to actually buy out Metal Gear? For some reason I really want it to be true.
I want this too. The franchise would be in better hands.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Hello guys I was outside by vacations but now I'm very happy for 200 pages of the Snake's thread
Congratulations!! :starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::starman::happysheep::happysheep:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
She probably isn't as high in America too. She seems to be one of those fad characters, eventually someone else will take the spotlight. It has happened to others like Geno.

I want this too. The franchise would be in better hands.
Alot of people said the same thing about Pacman(World design, not the ugly one they have now), Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Alot of people said the same thing about Pacman(World design, not the ugly one they have now), Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer.
I dont remember anyone ever calling them fads. Wii fit had no support, and duxk hunt and pacman had some. Characters like shantae and shovel kinight are bandwagon campaigns. They'll die down the next game. Those three are now in the game. The support for them will be high for them simply because they are vets and the sole reps of their franchise.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Demand for Geno was through the roof when Brawl was new, but now it's only kinda there. If Shantae and Shovel Knight are never in 4, their demand will probably follow suit whenever 5 happens.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I dont remember anyone ever calling them fads. Wii fit had no support, and duxk hunt and pacman had some. Characters like shantae and shovel kinight are bandwagon campaigns. They'll die down the next game. Those three are now in the game. The support for them will be high for them simply because they are vets and the sole reps of their franchise.
Yeah alot of people didn't want Duck Hunt because of them remembering the dog's laugh, and Wii Fit Trainer was hated for being a "joke", but liked the...other stuff with her. Shovel Knight I can agree on, but Shantae fans have been backing her up alot(nit as much on Smashboards though), like how Snake and Wolf fans still support them. The bandwagon people shouldn't even count, so annoying. They first hated Snake, then they want him back. They wanted Ryu in the game, now that he's in, they turned on him due Ryo being called "op".

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

Art by quas-quas. DeviantArt page:http://quas-quas.deviantart.com

Happy 200 guys! We are one of the strongest, most collected, and dedicated threads on Smashboards. Being here since page 6, I'm really happy to see how this place has developed. We've went to a scarce few dedicated supporters, to so many now! I might not be the biggest contributor now, but when Snake is released, I'm going to do everything I can to help you guys and develop his meta. Our 100 was grand, but 200 is even grander! HOO RAH!

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Shantae uh, I've been on Gamefaqs the other day to see how they are about her and boy they wouldn't like her inclusion. Neogaf also seems to be a bit mixed about her. Actually the best comparison I've heard about Shanate on Gamefaqs is that "Shantae and Shovel Knight are the new Geno of Smash 4 DLC hype". That was the best comparison I've heard about them, because Geno was all over the place during the pre-Brawl speculating days now during the pre-Smash 4 of speculation no one bought him up at all except for a few left supporters. Now it's happening again with the DLC but with Indie characters instead.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Shantae uh, I've been on Gamefaqs the other day to see how they are about her and boy they wouldn't like her inclusion. Neogaf also seems to be a bit mixed about her. Actually the best comparison I've heard about Shanate on Gamefaqs is that "Shantae and Shovel Knight are the new Geno of Smash 4 DLC hype". That was the best comparison I've heard about them, because Geno was all over the place during the pre-Brawl speculating days now during the pre-Smash 4 of speculation no one bought him up at all except for a few left supporters. Now it's happening again with the DLC but with Indie characters instead.
I'd never trust those 2 websites when it comes to opinions. They're probably the same people who said Snake and Sonic ruin and killed the definition of Smash Bros, and should die in a fire.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I've literally never heard of Shantae until this DLC campaign started up, which doesn't seem to bear well on this character's popularity. I think the Geno of Smash 4 DLC is an apt comparison - a beloved character with a sudden wellspring of support that nevertheless is highly unlikely to be included due to lack of notoriety as a 3rd party. I mean, these are the 3rd parties that have been represented in Smash so far: Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Ryu. I'd go as far as saying that each of these characters is iconic. Shantae isn't even in the same league as Bomberman or Simon in terms of popularity or impact.

Personally, I think the two most... let's say iconic, characters from the Smash roster are Mario and Pac-Man. No other character is as recognizable as these two are among people who might not have ever played a video game in their lives. More than being gaming phenomena, they were pop culture phenomena, the sort of stuff that could be included in some contemporary history textbook. My grandparents have never played a video game in their lives, but they know who Mario and Pac-Man are. I doubt they'd recognize Megaman or Sonic, despite their undeniable notoriety among gamers and maybe young people in general.

I don't want to rain on the Shantae supporters' parade because I know it sucks to have someone go into your support thread and take a dump all over a character you love, but I remain baffled at how a not unnoticeable amount of people can rank her among the most likely characters to be included in DLC (and simultaneously, how Snake is continually dismissed as obviously not happening). But what do I know, I'm no industry insider.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I've literally never heard of Shantae until this DLC campaign started up, which doesn't seem to bear well on this character's popularity. I think the Geno of Smash 4 DLC is an apt comparison - a beloved character with a sudden wellspring of support that nevertheless is highly unlikely to be included due to lack of notoriety as a 3rd party. I mean, these are the 3rd parties that have been represented in Smash so far: Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, Ryu. I'd go as far as saying that each of these characters is iconic. Shantae isn't even in the same league as Bomberman or Simon in terms of popularity or impact.

Personally, I think the two most... let's say iconic, characters from the Smash roster are Mario and Pac-Man. No other character is as recognizable as these two are among people who might not have ever played a video game in their lives. More than being gaming phenomena, they were pop culture phenomena, the sort of stuff that could be included in some contemporary history textbook. My grandparents have never played a video game in their lives, but they know who Mario and Pac-Man are. I doubt they'd recognize Megaman or Sonic, despite their undeniable notoriety among gamers and maybe young people in general.

I don't want to rain on the Shantae supporters' parade because I know it sucks to have someone go into your support thread and take a dump all over a character you love, but I remain baffled at how a not unnoticeable amount of people can rank her among the most likely characters to be included in DLC (and simultaneously, how Snake is continually dismissed as obviously not happening). But what do I know, I'm no industry insider.
I don't think Shantae would be considered3rd party in this situation since she reps the indies.

Sonic was Mario's biggest threat ever, not even Crash/Spur and Master Chief has anything on them.

Pacman will always be known. Nothing else to say about him.

Megaman is sadly dead, but atleast Capcom released something for him.

Snake and Ryu are the only ones out of the bunch that are iconic, but are mostly hated by idiots for being to realistic looking.

Shantae would be representing Nintendo's history with Indie games. I th ink the reason she wasn't really noticeable is because everyone was hyped over 3rd party characters.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Hello friends! Happy 200 pages!!! Am i the only one still going on about this?
https://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN/posts/468466326660386
I liked this and told everyone about it yesterday. It had roughly around 363 likes and now it's up to 1,043! That's alot of people. That skyrocked in less than 24 hours!!!

In other words i'm starting my first day of my Senior Year :smash: wish me the best of luck tomorrow :ness:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

I think it's more to do with people voting for the character that has a better chance of joining the roster. If Rare went third party completely instead of being owned by Microsoft then you can bet people would be voting in droves for Banjo. Instead he's owned by MS and Shantae isn't which gives her a very minuscule edge over Banjo.

I don't think the Smash roster should add indies yet. They're ultimately still third parties and with some notable absentees (:snake:, Simon Belmont, Rayman and Black Mage to name a few) I'm against indie characters for now as they'd look really out of place next to legends like :snake::4sonic::4ryu::4megaman::4pacman: etc. It's why I find Shantae to be a very overrated character for Smash 4.

I've never understood the hype between neither Shovel Knight or Shantae. I bet if Wayforward or YachtClub Games haven't said anything about wanting them in Smash these two would've gotten very low ballot support. I too don't think any Indies are ready to hang with the big dogs neither, especially since there are other third parties that can match up to the ones that are in the game or have been apart of the franchise. If anything they'll go to third parties that people have been asking for since Melee and Brawl, and will try to get licensing to them. Third parties are suppose to be special. I don't even think it matters how loyal they've been to Nintendo, cause even they kind of forget after a while that they exist up until a new game gets released and then forget about them again. If either Shovel Knight or Shantae got accepted as DLC they would feel so random and somewhat forced.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I guess I'll add my thoughts on 3rd parties. All of the ones included have had a big connection with Nintendo or the franchise having history with them.

Sonic was the rival of Mario, and now Nintendo and Sega are buddies nowadays.

Megaman has a majority of his games on Nintendo consoles and is someone people would recognize if they played a variety of video games.

Pacman is just as iconic as Mario, and has even crossovered with him through the arcade Mario karts. Also add that Miyamoto helped make a Pacman game and was the one to get the idea of him in Sakurai's mind during Brawl.

Snake has to thank Nintendo for the successful NES port and its sequel. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't even have any other Metal Gear games. Even Nintendo went to Konami for a new Metal Gear game, which evolved into the remake, Twin Snake's (Miyamoto even looked over the project with Kojima). Combine that with Nintendo having half of the official games and two others on their consoles, and Metal Gear being a popular franchise, it makes sense to add Snake.

And finally, Ryu comes from a franchise that helped make the fighting game genre. If not for Street Fighter, we possibly wouldn't have Smash as it is. Combined with the popular sales of the SNES ports of Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter was slightly helped by Nintendo.

Shante is in a weird spot. She could represent the loyal Nintendo indie games, but would that be big enough? I think the comparison to Geno is justified, however it would interesting to see her.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Alright.. They just now started re rating Snake and Shantae go over there and rate it up!!
I'll join in tomorrow evening.

Goodnight Foxhounders!!:snake:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I remain in the belief that if any indie character should ever get in Smash, it should be Quote from Cave Story for basically being the pioneer of indie games and their ability to not suck complete pretentious ass. Anything else can come after.

I just think 3rd parties need to be important and iconic to gaming or Nintendo as a whole. Every third party so far has been a HUGE character in the industry. Banjo Kazooie is one of the main 3rd parties I want aside from Snake simply because I've always considered them a Nintendo classic that's been taken from their home and is overdue to return.

Snake obviously needs to come back for A, already being in, and B, being the face of one of the biggest series in gaming, not to mention the entire stealth genre.
Hello friends! Happy 200 pages!!! Am i the only one still going on about this?
https://www.facebook.com/SmashBrosEN/posts/468466326660386
I liked this and told everyone about it yesterday. It had roughly around 363 likes and now it's up to 1,043! That's alot of people. That skyrocked in less than 24 hours!!!

In other words i'm starting my first day of my Senior Year :smash: wish me the best of luck tomorrow :ness:
This is one of those rare times I regret not having a facebook to add to the like pile. And good luck man, the grind is almost over.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Shantae is most certainly not Top 5.

I'd argue Top 5 looks more like K.Rool, Isaac, Wolf, Snake and some other person. Not that order necessarily, but probably something like that. Even so, Sakurai has said his thoughts on 3rd parties. They gotta be a big time player...not some flavor of the month. Shantae is nothing compared to the characters we've gotten so far. Supporting her is one thing. Saying she's got a solid shot? Totally different.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's time to rerate Snake.

Watch as everyone brings up the Konami issues as another reason for his exclusion.

I'd argue Top 5 looks more like K.Rool, Isaac, Wolf, Snake and some other person. Not that order necessarily, but probably something like that. Even so, Sakurai has said his thoughts on 3rd parties. They gotta be a big time player...not some flavor of the month. Shantae is nothing compared to the characters we've gotten so far. Supporting her is one thing. Saying she's got a solid shot? Totally different.
I have no idea why people think Shantae's got a serious shot, honestly.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
It's time to rerate Snake.

Watch as everyone brings up the Konami issues as another reason for his exclusion.

I have no idea why people think Shantae's got a serious shot, honestly.
Is actually very simple: Wayforward do a move to hype Shantae's fans, people start campaing her, but unlike the other indies, she actually has some things in her side to doesnt be considered a joke option, and now is a common character to see in the speculation.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

So far from the RTC thread she's already having low scores, but Snake is getting higher a bit. This day is definitely going to be interesting were rating to third parties back to back. One third party has already been apart of the franchise and the other is just a character that been known to be on Nitnendo consoles but just so happen to not be that big of a name. I think Sakurai's philosophy on third parties are: "Go big or go home". He always seem to go big.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I know nobody here is some gaming industry insider who knows how the biz works, but being that Hudson Soft properties are being licensed out (and Hudson Soft is owned by Konami, right?), is it possible other Konami properties could be licensed out? Or straight up sold? Seems odd to hold on to franchises you won't use, unless you're keeping them to prevent the competition from using them. I've been off the scene for a while, so forgive me if my questions are obvious or frequent.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know nobody here is some gaming industry insider who knows how the biz works, but being that Hudson Soft properties are being licensed out (and Hudson Soft is owned by Konami, right?), is it possible other Konami properties could be licensed out? Or straight up sold? Seems odd to hold on to franchises you won't use, unless you're keeping them to prevent the competition from using them. I've been off the scene for a while, so forgive me if my questions are obvious or frequent.
I hope. Nintendo having Hudson in general would mean better Mario Party games, and Metal Gear under Namco's hand would keep it safe and unharmed by doom.

Top Bottom