• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
idk how legit you guys would consider this poll, but it places Snake as the most requested character globally, with 7.51% of the votes. Wolf who?

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Why is there even anti-Snake people around in Smash, he's got such a unique moveset.
Nintendo fanboys. They whine that MGSV didn't come to Wii U and all that stuff. Yet if the game actually came, most of them wouldn't buy it.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo fanboys. They whine that MGSV didn't come to Wii U and all that stuff. Yet if the game actually came, most of them wouldn't buy it.
There's already people canceling preorders just because of Konami, so it couldn't be that reasoning.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
There's already people canceling preorders just because of Konami, so it couldn't be that reasoning.
Well, that was mainly it during pre release discussion. Now some new reasons like konami being garbage, and that is not really too bad of a reason. But many people like me would still like snake in and don't really care if they get advertisement.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention that the Wii U couldn't run it. On its lowest settings. At over 20 frames a second.
Have you guys ever looked up the specs of the U? It's hilariously bad, but I feel like for the most part Nintendo have optimized their games to look and play great on the system.

I think it's incredibly stupid that people can use that as an arguing point. After seeing the U's specs and having to deal with the gamepad, what publisher would release a game on it that's not specifically optimized for it? A few have tried... I've tried playing Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell on the U. It's so gross, oh my gosh.

Disclaimer: I love the U it's great i'm not hating at all

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Why is there even anti-Snake people around in Smash, he's got such a unique moveset.
There are a ton of reasons. Some of the more common reasons would be "Not Nintendo enough", or "He doesn't fit in". Some people just don't like his playstyle, character, or downright hate him. And with the whole "Konami Situation", some people have even more of a reason to not want Snake back.

That's not a representation of everyone though, some people just aren't that big of a fan of Snake and would rather have another character take his place. He's probably one of the more divisive characters in the running right now, but I don't think we have to worry about that. We have a ton of supporters, and the positive definitely out-weighs the negative. Not everyone will want Snake back, and it's best not to force anyone to support a character they don't want.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Well, that was mainly it during pre release discussion. Now some new reasons like konami being garbage, and that is not really too bad of a reason. But many people like me would still like snake in and don't really care if they get advertisement.
This was after Snake was cut from Smash. For some reason, they were so mad at both Nintendo and Konami, that they canceled preorders(atleast in Vegas that is).

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Not to mention that the Wii U couldn't run it. On its lowest settings. At over 20 frames a second.
Have you guys ever looked up the specs of the U? It's hilariously bad, but I feel like for the most part Nintendo have optimized their games to look and play great on the system.

I think it's incredibly stupid that people can use that as an arguing point. After seeing the U's specs and having to deal with the gamepad, what publisher would release a game on it that's not specifically optimized for it? A few have tried... I've tried playing Assassin's Creed and Splinter Cell on the U. It's so gross, oh my gosh.

Disclaimer: I love the U it's great i'm not hating at all
It might have been able to run on the wii u if it was optimized well enough. But it really isn't worth putting all that effort into a port that may barely sell well.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
It might have been able to run on the wii u if it was optimized well enough. But it really isn't worth putting all that effort into a port that may barely sell well.
Shame too. The iDroid would've been great for the GamePad screen.

Crocodile19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crocodile19
They probably didn't port it to the Wii U because of the Wii U's lack of success, they wouldn't have sold many copies of the port.

Troykv

Smash Master
They probably didn't port it to the Wii U because of the Wii U's lack of success, they wouldn't have sold many copies of the port.
Some people already think that everything that we believe that would appears in the Wii U, now will be NX or whatever the Next Console's name.

Buy a Wii U is a waste of money? Is so awful the console to doesn't deserve sales?

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
And there lies the problem with the U. :[

On that note, I'm extremely disappointed with the lack of strategy games on the Wii U. I thought porting Xcom or something to the Wii U would be a no-brainer. I think the gamepad could function well in so much, but seems like most publishers just didn't want to deal with it.

Darn shame all around. Super hype for the NX, though. Hopefully it'll be a console I actually play. I actually traded in my U a while back and picked up the New 3DS instead. (I decided on this after realizing I literally only played Smash on the U, and was missing out on a ton of great 3DS titles.) It was tough adjusting to Smash 4 on the 3DS, but I haven't felt like it impedes my playstyle in any way (Especially since I bought a sweet case that lets the 3DS fit my hand much like a controller). I don't regret my choice at all. Getting back into Monster Hunter and Pokemon have been great for me. Hope the NX is a... Smashing success.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
And there lies the problem with the U. :[

On that note, I'm extremely disappointed with the lack of strategy games on the Wii U. I thought porting Xcom or something to the Wii U would be a no-brainer. I think the gamepad could function well in so much, but seems like most publishers just didn't want to deal with it.

Darn shame all around. Super hype for the NX, though. Hopefully it'll be a console I actually play. I actually traded in my U a while back and picked up the New 3DS instead. (I decided on this after realizing I literally only played Smash on the U, and was missing out on a ton of great 3DS titles.) It was tough adjusting to Smash 4 on the 3DS, but I haven't felt like it impedes my playstyle in any way (Especially since I bought a sweet case that lets the 3DS fit my hand much like a controller). I don't regret my choice at all. Getting back into Monster Hunter and Pokemon have been great for me. Hope the NX is a... Smashing success.
If the NX plays Wii U games (and it had better do so), perhaps I could sell the Wii U since I already have a Wii. The only problem is the NX probably wouldn't play Wii games, and I really love Xenoblade too much to not have it with me all the time. I'd also feel really guilty because the Wii U was a gift. I swear, I'm just gonna give up gaming again one of these days, it's too much moolah.

EDIT: Okay, I read an article about the NX and it does sound legitimately exciting. This is good news:

• The NX might be backwards compatible with the Wii U. Iwata-san’s comments, which suggested that the NX will ‘absorb’ the Wii U hardware in some way (whether via emulation, or by actually having the Wii U SoC on board, much like launch PS3 models did with the PS2 EE), suggests that all your Wii U games – retail, digital, Virtual Console, first and third party – will run on the NX. This also means that if you are one of those many people who missed out on the excellent Wii U library, you’ll get another chance to enjoy those games.
I might be willing to give it a shot. If I understood the tech talk and analogies right, this is supposed to be a platform a la iOS or Android that can run on more than one device type, both console-like and handheld. So a game could run on both with some tweaking instead of needing to be rebuilt (like Smash Bros). Does this mean that the hardware could theoretically improve but the games can still run? Because that would solve the really annoying problem of "I have a bunch of games but need 5 different systems to play them (and no I am not buying them again)".

It reminds me of how Microsoft is saying Windows 10 will be the "last Windows" but will be a unified platform (?) that can run on tablets and phones and PCs. If this is a bad analogy, please understand, I am not good with the modern technologies. You kids with your horseless buggies and your syncopated music and your skirts that show ankles!

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
In an age where digital distribution is so common, backwards compatibility should always be possible. PCs today can run games from the 90s. A console should be able to run a game from 3 years ago, especially if it's not even a physical game.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Like someone here mentioned, the Smash fanbase don't even know a damn thing about having fun and just take things way too seriously. Plus, it's not just Snake that people make dumbass excuses for hating on, the same applies for other characters like Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Duck Hunt and even the clone characters.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
In an age where digital distribution is so common, backwards compatibility should always be possible. PCs today can run games from the 90s. A console should be able to run a game from 3 years ago, especially if it's not even a physical game.
Which is why I am glad that Microsoft is doing backwards compatibility. Hopefully konami allows the hd collection to be on the list, unless they are making a new collection for 8th gen consoles.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
It reminds me of how Microsoft is saying Windows 10 will be the "last Windows" but will be a unified platform (?) that can run on tablets and phones and PCs. If this is a bad analogy, please understand, I am not good with the modern technologies. You kids with your horseless buggies and your syncopated music and your skirts that show ankles!
Did they say that? Woah, crazy. Can't imagine.
I actually was running Windows 10 yesterday, and contrary to what I expected I actually really liked it. Really slick and stuff, and it didn't make everything super user friendly. Hate it when stuff like that is super dumbed down. My dad works in IT, so I know a lot about how stuff like that works.
I snagged a free copy of Win 10, but I regrettably had to go back to Windows 7 because apparently 10 was too hard on my crappy processor. D,x I was running Diablo super slow. Can't wait to upgrade my processor so I can go back.
I dunno, I think Windows 10 is fantastic, and I'm glad it runs across multiple platforms.
Speaking of operating systems, I think Steam (da pc gaming stuff) was going to release its own operating system. I haven't really kept up with any of that though.

and I really love Xenoblade too much to not have it with me all the time. I'd also feel really guilty because the Wii U was a gift. I swear, I'm just gonna give up gaming again one of these days, it's too much moolah.
I know right! It sucks that the one hobby I picked costs a cubic buttload of money. I did have to give up my copy of xenoblade (some kid somewhere is probably super happy with my copy out there) to get my 3DS, but I'm going to be picking up the 3DS version soon so I can finish that sucker. I've been wanting to play Xenoblade for two full years, finally got a copy, and wierdo me traded it so I could get a 3DS while I was in the middle of the game. This mystery has stretched on long enough, I'm ready to finally finish the fight and get all the answers I want from Xenoblade's story. I swear, Xenoblade is basically Lost. I'll let ya know how the 3DS version is.

Crocodile19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crocodile19
To be honest I haven't even played Smash since the day the Ryu/Roy dlc came out. If Snake isn't one of the characters in the ballot dlc I'm pretty sure I won't be touching Smash, and tbh even if Snake came back I would only play Smash again for that one day. lol

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Still wondering why Metal Gear Solid (GBC) never hit the 3DS eshop
The eshop and virtual console havent been handled all that well as a whole, there are more n64 games on xbox one then there are on the wiiu VC.

------
As far as RTC goes, it doesnt matter, it never did. With the way nintendo fans are there was no way we could have kept his score where it was at, and many have the mindset that the konami situation is dooming him. When you think about it though capcom isnt in the clear as far as troubled waters go themselves, but the double standard that many use with capcom characters past appearances seems to nullify that in their mind. Monster hunter is keeping them afloat, and most of their current games are being funded or helped out with by first parties, the rest are just HD collections. I dont think nintendo or sakurai would really view konami's own problems as a detriment towards snake being in smash bros, and it shouldnt.

Bottom line is, if they look at their options, snake is a very good get for them. Iconic past veteran, check. Already existing moveset, check. Level and themes already present, check.

Any cons people can come up with are absolutely dwarfed by the pros that he brings not only to players but to the dev team, hes easy to implement, and they know damn well we want him at this point. My tweet of the snake amiibo one artist made still gets retweets every know and then, so getting the word out there is probably something we need to step up to keep it going.

----
In other news i bought a ps4, a new tv, a sound bar, and an entertainment center. Ive gathered electronics, recruits, all of it, all for revenge!

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
The eshop and virtual console havent been handled all that well as a whole, there are more n64 games on xbox one then there are on the wiiu VC.
That thought alone is quite creepy, also with that Rare Anthology game. Having Battletoads on XBone... still not buying the thing.

Anyway, can someone explain me better the Konami situation? Are they broke or simply just want to make pachinko machines? It is OK if by PM in case this was mentioned here already.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
That thought alone is quite creepy, also with that Rare Anthology game. Having Battletoads on XBone... still not buying the thing.

Anyway, can someone explain me better the Konami situation? Are they broke or simply just want to make pachinko machines? It is OK if by PM in case this was mentioned here already.
Konami has said they will be focusing more on mobile games in the future but never said they're pulling out of AAA games entirely and even made a statement to reiterate that they will continue to develop AAA games.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/konami...ing-consoles-metal-gear-and-silent-hill-are-e

Furthermore, they've already announced months ago that they've started putting together a team for a "new Metal Gear series". So from the sounds of it they intend to continue Metal Gear but it may be an entirely new series with a new cast of characters.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...es-plan-for-brand-new-metal-gear-solid-series

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

From what I take of it, in a nutshell, Kojima was fired from Konami and Silent Hills was cancelled which led to alot of drama between the parties. Within proximity of that, Konami announced they would be shifting greater focus to mobile games and gambling machines, since those were becoming more profitable to them, but did state they would continue making traditional games. In addition, some word had gotten out that Konami wasn't exactly treating their employees so great as well. Somewhere along the lines, everyone took all of these and lumped them together to create a narrative as if Konami was going out of business as a whole and that they would be ending their IPs, which isn't true as they do plan to continue Metal Gear and Nintendo has been negotiating to work on a Hudson game of some sort.

In other words, Konami may be restructuring itself, but the fans are seeing it as if the company is completely self destructing.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
From what I take of it, in a nutshell, Kojima was fired from Konami and Silent Hills was cancelled which led to alot of drama between the parties. Within proximity of that, Konami announced they would be shifting greater focus to mobile games and gambling machines, since those were becoming more profitable to them, but did state they would continue making traditional games. In addition, some word had gotten out that Konami wasn't exactly treating their employees so great as well. Somewhere along the lines, everyone took all of these and lumped them together to create a narrative as if Konami was going out of business as a whole and that they would be ending their IPs, which isn't true as they do plan to continue Metal Gear and Nintendo has been negotiating to work on a Hudson game of some sort.

In other words, Konami may be restructuring itself, but the fans are seeing it as if the company is completely self destructing.
Konami has said they will be focusing more on mobile games in the future but never said they're pulling out of AAA games entirely and even made a statement to reiterate that they will continue to develop AAA games.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/konami...ing-consoles-metal-gear-and-silent-hill-are-e

Furthermore, they've already announced months ago that they've started putting together a team for a "new Metal Gear series". So from the sounds of it they intend to continue Metal Gear but it may be an entirely new series with a new cast of characters.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...es-plan-for-brand-new-metal-gear-solid-series
Thanks for the explainations, a friend said for a fact that Konami is dying so I understood that it was going bankrupt.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
A while back, I came up with an idea for a MGS2 Raiden semi-clone of Snake. I just posted the idea over to the "Clone That Character" thread, and I really fleshed out the idea. I know that this is kind of off-topic, but I think the idea turned out pretty good, and I wanted to see what you guys think about it.

Also, I just want to state that i'm not trying to say that Raiden should be in Smash. There's no way that he will ever make it to Smash as a fighter. But I think the moveset could work really well.

:snake:-MGS2 Raiden: He would be a faster, sword wielding semi-clone.

Neutral B- His grenade would be replaced with a white phosphorus grenade (causes flames instead of explosion)
Up B- Cypher functions similarly to Project M, but doesn't take him as high
Down B- C4 replaced with a flip jump (similar to ZSS, but not as high and covers more distance)
Side B- The Nikita is replaced with Raiden's HF blade. He dashes forward with a chargeable sword strike (similar to the Mii Swordfighter custom 'Slash Launcher')

Raiden's running speed could be faster then Snake, along his jump distance increasing. His tilts, smash attacks, and aerials could be replaced with various swings of his HF blade, and his dash attack would be replaced with Raiden's cartwheel. His jab combo could stay the same as Snake's, and his grab and throws could also stay the same as Snake.

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
A while back, I came up with an idea for a MGS2 Raiden semi-clone of Snake. I just posted the idea over to the "Clone That Character" thread, and I really fleshed out the idea. I know that this is kind of off-topic, but I think the idea turned out pretty good, and I wanted to see what you guys think about it.
You forgot to add the bit where Rose calls to interrupt the fight every couple minutes.

I kid, I love Rose in MGS2. x]

edit: Got so caught up in making a joke I totally forgot to give my input. Lol.
I'd love to see MGS2 Raiden cartwheeling around the stage, whacking people with his (nonlethal) HF Blade. I think him using a different grenade than Snake is a pretty cool idea to think about. Maybe it'll leave sort of a lingering hitbox, or maybe explode on contact, or even be a shield breaking move for sweet shield traps... Trying to think of more ways to differentiate him from Snake without dipping into Rising or MGS4. Also trying to think up some taunts. I also think that coolant spray could be incorporated into his moves, as something sorta similar to Mewtwo's down b, or even as a form of stage control. Spray it on and it makes people trip. Or maybe spray it right onto the opponent to make them more sluggish.

I didn't know I wanted this until now (even though it'll never ever happen). I just keep picturing how goofy Raiden would look spraying Shiek/Ryu right in the face with coolant.

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
You forgot to add the bit where Rose calls to interrupt the fight every couple minutes.

I kid, I love Rose in MGS2. x]

edit: Got so caught up in making a joke I totally forgot to give my input. Lol.
I'd love to see MGS2 Raiden cartwheeling around the stage, whacking people with his (nonlethal) HF Blade. I think him using a different grenade than Snake is a pretty cool idea to think about. Maybe it'll leave sort of a lingering hitbox, or maybe explode on contact, or even be a shield breaking move for sweet shield traps... Trying to think of more ways to differentiate him from Snake without dipping into Rising or MGS4. Also trying to think up some taunts. I also think that coolant spray could be incorporated into his moves, as something sorta similar to Mewtwo's down b, or even as a form of stage control. Spray it on and it makes people trip. Or maybe spray it right onto the opponent to make them more sluggish.

I didn't know I wanted this until now (even though it'll never ever happen). I just keep picturing how goofy Raiden would look spraying Shiek/Ryu right in the face with coolant.
The coolant spray could maybe replace my Side B idea. It would give him more variety rather than using his HF blade for half of his attacks. The coolent spray could freeze the opponent in place (similar to Mewtwo as you said) but have a very short range and cooldown to prevent spamming.

There's just so much weapon variety that could be used. Perhaps his Down B could be replaced with placing down a dirty magazine to temporarily distract the opponent (jk)

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Probably but I could see some Old Snake and various Big Boss costumes as alts.
I could definately see full on Big Boss costumes considering the last MGS on a Nintendo devise was MGS3D, but I don't think an Old Snake costume would happen. But I could see an alt color that changed Snake's hair color, beard color, and sneaking suit color to resemble Old Snake in his default octocamo happening (that would be amazing).

Speaking of Solid Snake and Big Boss costumes, do you think that Snake's beard should change depending on the costumes if he came back with those costumes? It's a tiny detail, but the Big Boss beard was used to combine the features of both Snakes. With the idea of alt costumes, there wouldn't be as much of a reason to combine their looks anymore. Though the combined features of Big Boss and Snake became arguably the most iconic look for Snake, so I guess that would be removing the most iconic version of Snake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom