• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
>They have to know Snake is a popular request now
>Sakurai likes Metal Gear
>Snake has already been in Smash

I've been told by @PushDustIn that when Snake was added, they had to clear it with all the developers to have Snake fight (and choke?) their characters. Could it be that THAT is what kept Snake out this time? Somebody might have been uncomfortable with Snake fighting their character?

...party pooper.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

I've been told by @PushDustIn that when Snake was added, they had to clear it with all the developers to have Snake fight (and choke?) their characters. Could it be that THAT is what kept Snake out this time? Somebody might have been uncomfortable with Snake fighting their character?

...party pooper.
Potentially, but they can easily change his grab and I doubt that if they didn't care the first time they would the second.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Considering what happens to some:4robinm: of:4shulk:the:4ryu:characters:4ganondorf: in their games I highly doubt that "choking a character" would be a reason for leaving out Snake.

I mean, Shulk gets...things done to him(including getting choked) over the course of Xenoblade, Ryu has nearly murdered with his fists, and Robin's kind of a vessel for an evil dragon who constantly gets tormented by it. Ganondorf HAS A NECK LIFT FOR AN ATTACK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND A CHOKE GRAB IS SUDDENLY A PROBLEM.

>logic

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering what happens to some:4robinm: of:4shulk:the:4ryu:characters:4ganondorf: in their games I highly doubt that "choking a character" would be a reason for leaving out Snake.

I mean, Shulk gets...things done to him(including getting choked) over the course of Xenoblade, Ryu has nearly murdered with his fists, and Robin's kind of a vessel for an evil dragon who constantly gets tormented by it. Ganondorf HAS A NECK LIFT FOR AN ATTACK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD AND A CHOKE GRAB IS SUDDENLY A PROBLEM.

>logic
Well they mean within the confines of Smash. So based on their movesets. The act of Snake choking (neckbreaking? I don't know what that's considered)

The question would be about who was added to Smash after Brawl and who would get upset. I don't know who would have said no if that was truly the case.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman

>logic
I was just about to mention that. You could argue that Snake's choke is more realistic, but I would much rather be put in a choke grab then get picked up by the face, and then have my face smashed by dark magic :eek:

As for Snake's choke, I don't believe he's neck breaking. He's just putting pressure on the character's necks which is a method of non-lethal takedowns in most of the series. The choke sound does sound like a necksnap in brawl, but it could easily be toned down.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

>logic
If we're gonna cite stuff from Street Fighter, remember that Akuma's signature move physically kills the opponent. Its name even translates to "Instant Hell Murder". You can do it to Ryu, too. So there's that.

You're correct, of course: canonically, Ryu nearly killed Sagat with his Shoryuken. Mind you, he was possessed by evil intent at the time, but it's still good to remember that that evil Ryu is a playable character in some games. Ryu's d-throw and down-taunt in this game are references to Akuma. So while it may be degrees of separation, it's still fact that Ryu draws influence from a very family-unfriendly character. Snake is quite tame by comparison.

Yeah, the fact that Ganondorf's side-b is outright named Flame Choke should alleviate concerns that Snake would be "too violent" for Smash. If anything, it's more so the realistic "neck snap" sound effects that are the issue, but it's pretty trivial when you consider what else happened to characters in Brawl (some of it definitely goes way beyond "comic violence").

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If we're gonna cite stuff from Street Fighter, remember that Akuma's signature move physically kills the opponent. Its name even translates to "Instant Hell Murder". You can do it to Ryu, too. So there's that.
Ryu split Sagat's chest open with a Shoryuken and nearly killed him.

Here? Nah, just launch people straight up. And then there's Evil Ryu whose design might as well be unacceptable for an E10+ game.

I was just about to mention that. You could argue that Snake's choke is more realistic, but I would much rather be put in a choke grab then get picked up by the face, and then have my face smashed by dark magic :eek:

As for Snake's choke, I don't believe he's neck breaking. He's just putting pressure on the character's necks and it can be used as a method of non-lethal takedowns in most of the series.
Like Wintropy mentioned, it could be the choking sound that's the issue. A lot of sounds were changed from Brawl---->3DS/U, so that can just as easily go.

Well they mean within the confines of Smash. So based on their movesets. The act of Snake choking (neckbreaking? I don't know what that's considered)

The question would be about who was added to Smash after Brawl and who would get upset. I don't know who would have said no if that was truly the case.
Literally nobody has a reason to get upset over that. Snake could neck grab every female in Brawl, so why Palutena, Wendy, Lucina, F!Robin, Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer and F!Villager are suddenly problems, who knows. Animals? Are members of the team PETA enough to see Snake grabbing Bowser Jr, Duck Hunt, and Greninja an issue when Snake grabbed Squirtle and Ivysaur in Brawl? Pac-Man? That would look silly, Pac doesn't even have a neck. Miis? Doubt it.

Pretty odd reasoning, if you ask me.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Personally, if Snake is left out, it'll be cause having 4 3rd parties was too complex/expensive for them. Wouldn't be surprised if it was all Namco/Sega/Capcom from here out.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I always found it fun how Snake doesn't just catch the opponent like other characters: he puts his hand over their mouth, then chokes them into submission and helps their unconscious body onto the floor. It isn't anything too intense, but it is weirdly hysterical to watch him put Mario in a sleeper hold before blowing him away with a bazooka~

Said it before, but I don't really empathise with the "Snake doesn't fit in" argument. It's the fact that he's so distinct from other Smash characters that makes him so damn fun!

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I could easily see the sound effect being changed. The move is Snake choking the opponent. It's just another way of somebody harming someone. I mean, has anyone SEEN where Wario hits you for his neutral grab? And even then, there's other moves thaat are just as violent, Ganondorf as an example.

One question, would anyone like to see Snake's down throw changed? I found it funny doing that as a kid, (and still find it great to this day) but would people like to see it changed to the CQC take down from MGS3?

Last edited:

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
One question, would anyone like to see Snake's down throw changed? I found it funny doing that as a kid, (and still find it great to this day) but would people like to see it changed to the CQC take down from MGS3?
I have no problem with his Brawl dthrow, and actually think it sets him apart from the cast in a cool way, but if it does need to be changed the takedown from MGS3 would be the go to replacement I feel.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I always found it fun how Snake doesn't just catch the opponent like other characters: he puts his hand over their mouth, then chokes them into submission and helps their unconscious body onto the floor. It isn't anything too intense, but it is weirdly hysterical to watch him put Mario in a sleeper hold before blowing him away with a bazooka~

Said it before, but I don't really empathise with the "Snake doesn't fit in" argument. It's the fact that he's so distinct from other Smash characters that makes him so damn fun!

This was a pic on the Brawl dojo. Just saying. :denzel: Sakurai inadvertently created a ship. There was fan art. Man, good times.
I really hope Sakurai serves us Snake again. People think it's a 100% super serious series, but it's also got a goofy sense of humor. The codecs in Brawl show the funny side of the series, plus a beautiful Snake/Slippy friendship.

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I never felt like Snake's grab was anything to even worry about. Just seemed like any other grab in the game to me in Brawl. I don't know why I'm supposed to be more spooked by a somewhat realistic chokehold than the various other grapples in the game.

This was a pic on the Brawl dojo. Just saying. :denzel: Sakurai inadvertently created a ship. There was fan art. Man, good times.
I really hope Sakurai serves us Snake again. People think it's a 100% super serious series, but it's also got a goofy sense of humor. The codecs in Brawl show the funny side of the series, plus a beautiful Snake/Slippy friendship.
Well,then again, that was an Beta element. It was cut because it didn't seem kid-friendly. Can we talk about Snake's Up Tilt?
What is this madness?

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman

For 6 long years, Ike trained himself to prove his devotion to his best friend, Solid Snake. "I hope Snake Senpai likes my new, bulky muscles!" Ike thought to himself. (Jk, i'm not into shipping)
Can we talk about Snake's Up Tilt?
What is this madness?
The power comes from Snake's sheer will to flex beyond physical limits.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Well,then again, that was an Beta element. It was cut because it didn't seem kid-friendly. Can we talk about Snake's Up Tilt?
What is this madness?
It's...it's definitely something. This and his F-air really show just how flexible he is. Makes sense though, he IS suppose to be a super soldier. :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like Wintropy mentioned, it could be the choking sound that's the issue. A lot of sounds were changed from Brawl---->3DS/U, so that can just as easily go.
Even then, the sound was used for Ivysaur's grab as well, where it squeezes the opponent with vines.
With that in mind, it seems to me the sound was meant to represent applying pressure as opposed to cracking bones.

...party pooper.
In this hypothetical scenario:
-Couldn't have been Rosalina or Jr., since Mario characters were a-OK.
-Couldn't have been Greninja, since other Pokémon were fine.
-Couldn't have been Robin or Lucina, since Marth and Ike were acceptable.
-Couldn't have been Palutena or Dark Pit, because Pit.
-Couldn't have been Ryu, since he wasn't part of the roster until DLC.

Only candidates:
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Shulk
Duck Hunt
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Miis

Out of these, I would presume Villager and Miis would be the prime suspects if that really was the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
For 6 long years, Ike trained himself to prove his devotion to his best friend, Solid Snake. "I hope Snake Senpai likes my new, bulky muscles!" Ike thought to himself. (Jk, i'm not into shipping)
But, little did Ike knew that Snake Senpai wasn't invite back to Smash 4. Causing him to be heart broken. (And no, I don't ship Ike and Snake together.)

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Being "Mr Utility Belt" with his various explosives, Cipher and Cardboard Box I'd expect him to be around Link's weight. Maybe a bit heavier.
My theory is that Sakurai deliberately made Snake so heavy to keep newer players from self destructing. Since he's so focused around explosives, Snake has many moves that can backfire; namely the grenades, c4 and down smash, which all pack more knockback than other attacks like them (such as the Links' bombs) and have good KO potential. Since Brawl was designed with newer players in mind, I believe Sakurai made Snake heavier so that more players can enjoy playing him and survive the oopses.

And I wouldn't change it at all, it worked well for him and wasn't broken.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

...party pooper.
I'm hoping it was the time it took to get this done to be the reason rather than someone being uncomfortable with it.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I'm all for Solid Snake coming back to fight in Smash Bros.

However, I would not mind if "he" made it instead of Snake. I would not complain. ^_______^

Raiden Metal Gear Solid: Revengence.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I'm all for Solid Snake coming back to fight in Smash Bros.

However, I would not mind if "he" made it instead of Snake. I would not complain. ^_______^

Raiden Metal Gear Solid: Revengence.
In a perfect world, we would have both Snake AND Raiden join Smash Bros. For now though, I would love to see some MGS Rising music with a MGS Rising stage.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
The reason this looks weird is because it seems like they were hit by nothing when he kicked. In reality, he's simply ****-slapping his opponent with stealth camo applied to his junk in order to keep the rating low.
This is my favorite post on this damn site.
This has me seriously tempted. I could see it.
I'm going to tell my girlfriend about this and odds are she'll whip up some art of it.

Last edited:

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Those who don't want Solid Snake back obviously fear his...

- Grenade spam
- His Nikita Missiles
- His crawling sweep
- His Shawn Michaels Sweet Chin Music Up-Tilt

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Those who don't want Solid Snake back obviously fear his...

- Grenade spam
- His Nikita Missiles
- His crawling sweep
- His Shawn Michaels Sweet Chin Music Up-Tilt
They also don't understand the importance of the Cardboard Box.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
It's not the leak.

The leak is what the voice actor said and the fact that his page is now private. And that he had a reply earlier denying it and then deleting that and re replying with that.
Sounds like a very strange situation. It's most likely nothing, but it's interesting that Layton's voice actor commented on it. The fact that his twitter is now private is a little strange. But at the same time, I have only the smallest knowledge on how twitter works, so changing your twitter to private could very well be normal and common in the land of tweeting.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It's not the leak.

The leak is what the voice actor said and the fact that his page is now private. And that he had a reply earlier denying it and then deleting that and re replying with that.
Hasn't his profile always been private?
The only thing that makes me curious is why he came back a month later to post "lol yeah I'm totally in the game."

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You can't blame the guy. Nobody likes harassment.

Alpharad went private for a while when ZeRo stupidly leaked his phone number on stream.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Even then, the sound was used for Ivysaur's grab as well, where it squeezes the opponent with vines.
With that in mind, it seems to me the sound was meant to represent applying pressure as opposed to cracking bones.

In this hypothetical scenario:
-Couldn't have been Rosalina or Jr., since Mario characters were a-OK.
-Couldn't have been Greninja, since other Pokémon were fine.
-Couldn't have been Robin or Lucina, since Marth and Ike were acceptable.
-Couldn't have been Palutena or Dark Pit, because Pit.
-Couldn't have been Ryu, since he wasn't part of the roster until DLC.

Only candidates:
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Little Mac
Shulk
Duck Hunt
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Miis

Out of these, I would presume Villager and Miis would be the prime suspects if that really was the case.
I wonder if it was the Mii Fighters.

You create whoever you want, so maybe some one you don't like, and then choke them out with Snake. That's a dumbass reason to cut him for sure, but it makes sense...well, not really. I don't see why you couldn't just change the animation, but what do I know?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I wonder if we'll ever get a reason if he doesn't make it in. I guess the icies got one since they were working at one point. But it's just so frustrating not knowing. We kind have a good idea as to why ivy/squirtile are not in(transformations cut), and Lucas is back. Don't know about wolf, but he'll probably be back.
But then again, it could be dumb like ridley's reasoning.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if it was the Mii Fighters.

You create whoever you want, so maybe some one you don't like, and then choke them out with Snake. That's a ******* reason to cut him for sure, but it makes sense...well, not really. I don't see why you couldn't just change the animation, but what do I know?
That's only if that was the reason. It's still just a hypothetical based on what Push has told you.

Top Bottom