• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I still think the "negotiations not working out in time for the game" is the most plausible theory. Since the game was on a set time limit, the talks were taking too long so they lowered him on the priority list and never got back around to working out the rights. I really don't believe it was anything about Snake nor anything he did to warrant his removal, ie he's not too violent/mature for the game.

I'm still hoping that the ballot will incentivise Nintendo to negotiate with Konami and get the rights, the fans want him and are willing to pay real money just to get him without any bells or whistles (though throwing Shadow Moses Island would be nice).

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Why does everyone hype up iMDB anyway I've thought most had learned not to do that after the whole Shantae and her voice actress being listed. I'm starting to wonder why does this community always seem to fall for the same thing over and over? Did you not learned from the first time? Don't take anything seriously until Sakurai or anyone from his team says so other wise. Point blank.

This also make me feel bad for the fans of the characters they want in Smash. They'll hype up anything, but will end up getting disappointed again after its been proven to be false. I just don't want people to go overthink something but end up getting let down by all of these leaks. DLC is not over yet people, do not take anything serioulsy until proven and continue to support for your character.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Oh crap, I just found out that The Phantom Pain is coming out in a few days. (Sep. 1st)
lolwhoops

How would you feel about a stage boss on a stage for Snake? I know not all of you like them, but I find them enjoyable. :4shulk: Except Yellow Devil, screw dat loser.
Wouldn't mind. Having the AI Weapons from Peace Walker and Metal Gear RAXA as hazards would be cool, I guess.

----

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Along with the price of courses and other supplies, my College requires me to spend 2000$+ on a Macbook. So I might try running TPP on the Macbook when I purchase it. I was going to run it on my gaming pc, but the video card recently died and I can't afford to replace it. So i'm torn between buying the pc version and possibly not being able to run it smoothly, or borrowing my friend's PS3 to play another Metal Gear game.

Hopefully Konami releases a free downloadable benchmark to check if the game runs smoothly on certain hardware (Or a Wii U bundle that comes packaged TPP and Snake DLC for Smash, that would be nice too)

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Among with the price of courses and other supplies, my College requires me to spend 2000$+ on a Macbook. So I might try running TPP on the Macbook when I purchase it. I was going to run it on my gaming pc, but the video card recently died and I can't afford to replace it. So i'm torn between buying the pc version and not being able to run it smoothly, or borrowing my friend's PS3 to play another Metal Gear game.

Hopefully Konami releases a free downloadable benchmark to check if the game runs smoothly on certain hardware (Or a Wii U bundle that comes packaged TPP and Snake DLC for Smash, that would be nice too)
Try getting ground zeroes and see if it runs good. If it does, then phantom pain will run good

Jawmuncher

Smash Journeyman
Remember TPP is a cross gen game. A newer mac book should be at least able to run the game on par with those systems.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So far phantom pain has been getting 10/10s from GameStop and ign! The ratings are pretty good! Looks like it will be a great game and not overhyped garbage like some others.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
So far phantom pain has been getting 10/10s from GameStop and ign! The ratings are pretty good! Looks like it will be a great game and not overhyped garbage like some others.
Common complaints seem to be story which reviewers can't really talk about.
1 week until my Collector's Edition arrives. Treasure that money Konami. It's the last I plan on giving you for a very long time.

Sewnic

Smash Cadet
I'm enthused for Kojima and the developers receiving stellar reviews across the internet. After all he's had to endure with Konami recently, I hope Kojima finds solace knowing the game will find the success it deserves. Fan reception will come later, and I feel that's where his sights are focused on, even more so than critics'. I'm afraid it'll be... eight days until we found out for ourselves.

Common complaints seem to be story which reviewers can't really talk about.
1 week until my Collector's Edition arrives. Treasure that money Konami. It's the last I plan on giving you for a very long time.
Yeah, story does appear to be the only flaw with the game for most reviewers. From what I've gathered, even though the plot is thinner compared to Phantom Pain's predecessors, it retains the core authenticity and intricacies of the Metal Gear saga which people have come to expect.

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
My personal take on Snake is that he was not thought of due to a combination of being a favor to Kojima and not having as much a presence on Nintendo consoles (yes, I know about Snake Eater 3D :p). I do, however, believe he could be an afterthought (thought of after the base game's release unlike that of Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy who I believe were cut due to priority*)
* I made a theory, posting it on Wolf's page that those three were cut due to time constraints (Mewtwo) and priortiy (Lucas and Roy being Semi Clones)

One could argue, however, that Ryu is in similar position with Street Fighter being an exclusive on the PS4. Street Fighter (and this is in my own opinion, mind you) is more iconic and has before had a larger presence on Nintendo consoles. I have no idea what Nintendo's relationship with Konami is, but I believe the only reason Snake has not yet appeared as Smash DLC is because of other veterans and presence. With enough support, however, Sakurai might give in and make Snake.

Who knows? Snake is such a complicated character compared to the other DLC released in Smash so far, maybe he's just been in development a long time.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
My personal take on Snake is that he was not thought of due to a combination of being a favor to Kojima and not having as much a presence on Nintendo consoles (yes, I know about Snake Eater 3D :p). I do, however, believe he could be an afterthought (thought of after the base game's release unlike that of Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy who I believe were cut due to priority*)
* I made a theory, posting it on Wolf's page that those three were cut due to time constraints (Mewtwo) and priortiy (Lucas and Roy being Semi Clones)

One could argue, however, that Ryu is in similar position with Street Fighter being an exclusive on the PS4. Street Fighter (and this is in my own opinion, mind you) is more iconic and has before had a larger presence on Nintendo consoles. I have no idea what Nintendo's relationship with Konami is, but I believe the only reason Snake has not yet appeared as Smash DLC is because of other veterans and presence. With enough support, however, Sakurai might give in and make Snake.

Who knows? Snake is such a complicated character compared to the other DLC released in Smash so far, maybe he's just been in development a long time.
I don't think that Snake was an afterthought considering his popularity in Brawl and his status as the first announced third party character, but that's just my opinion. He was most likely discussed, but perhaps the development team just didn't know what to do with Snake. They had to have known that he was popular, and he was a completely unique character. But his on and off presence with Nintendo probably put the developers in a tough spot.

It's possible that part of Snake's absence is due to the development team intentionally held off on Snake for a while to see what fan reaction would bring. He could have been planned, but was put on very low priority due to the priority of other characters partially for that reason. The overall Smash community's reaction to Snake's cut might be the final decision maker for Snake's future as a Smash character. But of course, that's just a quick little theory.
Twin Snakes on the Wii U as well. Or VC if Gamecube stuff ever gets there.
A MGS collection for the Wii U that includes the original HD collection, HD Twin Snakes, HD Portable Ops (canon game, just not directed by Kojima), and MGS4 would be amazing! Along with the two MGS5 games bundled as a standalone game would leave me spazzing around like an out of control fanboy!! It would probably never happen, but I would give an arm and a leg for it! (hah)

Ghost Babel on the virtual console would also be nice

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder.

Do you think that Sakurai cut Snake due to a somewhat large group of people wanting him gone?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I hope he comes back even more so the metal gear franchise can go out in a blaze of glory with an amazing game and rep in smash.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Because of the poll for Sami, people were talking about the prospect of her being a Snake replacement.
I would be very upset if this were the case.

I want Snake and Sami to both be in Smash so we can have epic Soldier vs. Soldier fights.
Each with vastly different tactics, of course. :)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I wonder.

Do you think that Sakurai cut Snake due to a somewhat large group of people wanting him gone?
I'm pretty sure that if this were the logic behind it, we would have seen a few more characters cut.

Tons of people must have despised Meta Knight in his Brawl state. Though with things such as clones, you can't tell. We have no explanation for Lucas coming back before Wolf, for instance.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The thing is that I can't see Sakurai just saying, "meh. Snake's gone!" considering he likes the series he comes from and probably sees value from it.

My guess is, he had interest in bringing him back, but something fell through somewhere.

1) Nintendo said, "One time thing bruh"
2) Konami backed out
3) however it happened, negotiations fell through

I mean there are small details that people ignore. Sakurai wasn't like, "Ugh, FINE Hideo. I'll add your character!". Sakurai likes Metal Gear and HATES cutting characters. There's more to it than just saying, "Sakurai probably felt Snake didn't fit." Sakurai adds characters to KEEP characters for the most part. He doesn't like cuts.

There's definitely more to it than a single clean and cut reason.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Add me as a supporter for Snake! I'm a really big fan of the Metal Gear series (though i don't own MGS 1 despite me owning the Legacy Collection :( :( :() and i want to see Snake come back. (:))

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
The Cardboard Box was the best best edge guarding tool. Sure, it was slow, but it is worth it.
The gimps were so real. People didn't expect a hitbox. The funniest thing about the box for me is that it actually works in real life! You can actually hide in it and people will pay no attention to you. I've actual;ly been able to sneak up on my friends and family with it!

So after I complete TTS, what MGS should I get next?

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So remind me why Metal Gear Solid V isn't coming to Wii U again? It looks like such an awesome game, and I'm sure many Wii U owners would pick it up.

Crocodile19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crocodile19
Probably because they wouldn't sell enough copies on the Wii U with having to port the game to the Wii U with the gamepad and all to make up the costs.

Maybe if Snake comes back to Smash also, there is a chance that it could come to the Wii U.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I doubt it's an issue with the graphics, since the Xbox 360 can run Ground Zeroes and (presumably) the Phantom Pain with no issues. There's the matter of how to use the gamepad, but that seems pretty straightforward - the in-game map seems like a perfect fit for what to put on there.

The only reason that I can think of is because Konami doesn't think it will sell on the Wii U, but even then, it's not like Nintendo fans haven't heard of Metal Gear - they could capitalize off of the fact that Snake has been in Smash Bros., but aside from Metal Gear Solid 3 for the 3DS (which was rendered mostly pointless by the release of the HD Collection, which had that and four other games, on other consoles around the same time), they haven't really done so.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
It'd be pretty cool to see The Phantom Pain on Wii U, but i don't think it's gonna happen due to them being afraid of it not selling on the system. If the 360 can run Ground Zeroes, the Wii U certainly can. It's sad that Metal Gear isn't prominent on Nintendo consoles though: 1 game on NES (Metal Gear), 1 game on GameCube (Twin Snakes) & 1 game on 3DS (Snake Eater) despite Kojima and Nintendo being basically buddies.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
It'd be pretty cool to see The Phantom Pain on Wii U, but i don't think it's gonna happen due to them being afraid of it not selling on the system. If the 360 can run Ground Zeroes, the Wii U certainly can. It's sad that Metal Gear isn't prominent on Nintendo consoles though: 1 game on NES (Metal Gear), 1 game on GameCube (Twin Snakes) & 1 game on 3DS (Snake Eater) despite Kojima and Nintendo being basically buddies.
They are actually 2 on the NES (Metal Gear and Snake's Revenge, which saved the franchise), 1 on the GBC (Ghost Babel), 1 on GC, 2 on Wii VC (the original Metal Gear forse MSN and Metal Gear 2) and 1 on the 3DS. Considering that the franchise as a whole have less than 20 Games, it's actually a good number.

But I totally want to see more MG on Nintendo consoles, and also other TP games. I really hope that the NX will bring more TP to Nintendo. At least it worked with Square Enix.

Last edited:

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
There's also Snake's Revenge on NES and Ghost Babel on Game Boy Color.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I should point out that from a technical standpoint, referencing cross-platform games, Arkham City and Origins are on the Wii U as well and were well done.

Surely TPP can't be so hard to port, so maybe it's a marketing isuee more than anything.

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
So after I complete TTS, what MGS should I get next?
I would recommend playing through the main series games in either chronological order, or release order. If you go back and play the series through chronological order, you can see the entire story play through in the order it happened. But if you play through the series in release order, you can watch the gameplay and technology evolve as you play. It all comes down to whether you prefer to see the story evolve, or the gameplay evolve.

So if you want to play the series through chronological order, play Snake Eater next. If you want to play the series through release order, you could either go back and play through the MSX titles, or just continue the Solid games with Sons of Liberty.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just thought of a great counter to the, "Snake doesn't fit in the game" argument.

Ever think about Samus on a Zelda stage? A space bounty hunter in a Medieval setting? How about Ike on Wario Ware's Gamer stage? That doesn't look very accurate either. How about ANYBODY on Pac-Land?

Nobody fits into the game aside from them being Nintendo characters. Are the graphics cartoony to make it look seemless? Yes, of course. Does that mean Snake can't work? Not at all.

How about Yoshi or Pikachu on Suzaku Castle?

Hows that for, "No, Snake fits just fine!"?

Even the characters we have don't fit within Smash!

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I just thought of a great counter to the, "Snake doesn't fit in the game" argument.

Ever think about Samus on a Zelda stage? A space bounty hunter in a Medieval setting? How about Ike on Wario Ware's Gamer stage? That doesn't look very accurate either. How about ANYBODY on Pac-Land?

Nobody fits into the game aside from them being Nintendo characters. Are the graphics cartoony to make it look seemless? Yes, of course. Does that mean Snake can't work? Not at all.

How about Yoshi or Pikachu on Suzaku Castle?

Hows that for, "No, Snake fits just fine!"?

Even the characters we have don't fit within Smash!
This is why I've always found that argument unfounded. Even if you want to cite Snake's "realistic" design and fighting style as evidence that he's anomalous, you're kind of on shaky ground: there isn't much realistic about a test tube super-soldier who can pull a bazooka out of his backside in the middle of battle.

If anything, I think the argument refers more so to his status as a character predominantly associated with other consoles beyond Nintendo hardware, but he was still the first third-party character added. Nintendo still greenlit it. If the company itself is cool with Snake in its all-star fighting game, he must be "Nintendo enough" to fit in.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
This might be off topic, but how you guys rank the Metal Gear franchise through your personal preference?

From what i have played, here's mine:

7. Metal Gear
6. Metal Gear 2
5. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
4. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
2. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

I haven't played Metal Gear Solid (only the small Shadow Moses segment in MGS4) ......to my ever lasting shame...

Top Bottom