• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
If Bandai Namco gets Metal Gear could this mean that we may end up getting Metal Gear back on Nintendo consoles? Because Bandai always had a good history with being on Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
If Bandai Namco gets Metal Gear could this mean that we may end up getting Metal Gear back on Nintendo consoles? Because Bandai always had a good history with being on Nintendo consoles.
As long as Nintendo allows them to. Namco and Capcom are probably the kind of business that ask another if they want their game or help them with a game. That's their relationship with Nintendo. Hopefully Nintendo always says yes to both Metal Gear and main title Street Fighter games in the future.

Crocodile19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Crocodile19
It sure is a good thing I've been seeing a lot of support for Snake recently, gotta make that late push to get him in. [2 more months to go though till the ballot closes]

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I hope. Nintendo having Hudson in general would mean better Mario Party games, and Metal Gear under Namco's hand would keep it safe and unharmed by doom.
I'm all for this idea, it'd be nice to have a proper Mario Party game again. And Snake does deserve to keep on keepin' on despite the drama.

Anyhoo, I know I'm late to the party, but congrats on the 200th page!

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I don't think that the Hundosn deal will bring us to better Mario Party games. The recent ones are made by ND Cube, which is composed by ex-Hundson employers (includind ALL the key name about the Mario Party franchise). If anything, I hope this brings us to a new Bomberman.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Ah, so it seems August brings about a page anniversary of sorts for some character threads - King K. Rool = 1000, Wolf = 200 and now it seems Snake has reached 200 pages too!

Congrats to you guys!

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The Hudson deal doesn't mean their getting access to all Hudson properties and teams, konami is just licensing an IP to Nintendo that happend to be owned by Hudson Soft.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
The Hudson deal doesn't mean their getting access to all Hudson properties and teams, konami is just licensing an IP to Nintendo that happend to be owned by Hudson Soft.
I know, but I can dream that the deal would get better.

I don't think that the Hundosn deal will bring us to better Mario Party games. The recent ones are made by ND Cube, which is composed by ex-Hundson employers (includind ALL the key name about the Mario Party franchise). If anything, I hope this brings us to a new Bomberman.
They lost thier touch then sadly.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Anyway...

Anyone else find the whole use of Konami's ethic, or lack thereof, as reasoning against Snake annoying? I keep seeing people use it as if Nintendo would care more about some sort of statement on "social justice" over making profitable business decisions by boycotting the company, which we all know is completely false thanks to the Hudson negotiations. It just feels like anti-Snake reasoning is grasping so hard for straws that they're dragging in irrelevant details just to show any reason why Nintendo should not bring back the character.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
Anyway...

Anyone else find the whole use of Konami's ethic, or lack thereof, as reasoning against Snake annoying? I keep seeing people use it as if Nintendo would care more about some sort of statement on "social justice" over making profitable business decisions by boycotting the company, which we all know is completely false thanks to the Hudson negotiations. It just feels like anti-Snake reasoning is grasping so hard for straws that they're dragging in irrelevant details just to show any reason why Nintendo should not bring back the character.
Yeah, in all honesty I don't think Nintendo really cares about company drama. It doesn't matter in the end. It's all about making a profit they're still a business not children who argue if their best friends or not. Look at MegaMan he comes from a company that been having financial problems for these past couple of years but yet still made it into Smash 4. If that doesn't tell you that Nintendo doesn't care about what company they decide to put in then I don't know what will.

Last edited:

FeenieTheTrite

Smash Journeyman
Anyway...

The most unfortunate thing about the "Konami Situation" is that it's actually making some people completely loose hope in Snake. I've heard many people mention that they would love Snake to come back, but he has 0% of coming back because of Konami.

A lot of this "Konami Situation" seems to be speculation, and people are treating it as fact. I'm not trying to say that this "Konami Situation" doesn't even exist, there's definitely something going on over there, but it's being sensationalized and people are clinging on to it.

The situation could be better or worse than what we know, but there's no definite answer at the moment. Unless we knew the entire truth about the situation, there doesn't seem to be much of a point to arguing about it.

This argument seems to be the new "too realistic" argument.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
The ethic thing is straw grasping. Nintendo uses slave labor in manufacturing their hardware and has poor labor protection. They're probably wishing they had done it first before it blew up and got Konami bad PR.

The ESRB rating thing is also nonsensical.

Everything else is baseless speculation. Sakurai decided he didn't fit in! It was a one time favor! Sakurai is keeping him out to spite Konami! The truth is we have 0 solid (heh) reasons as to why Snake was removed. The only veteran who got an explanation was IC (unfortunately *weeps*). Everything else is imagination.

Remember this speculation is done by teenagers who don't know jack about how the gaming industry, or business in general, works. As long as we keep that on mind, we can have fun on this forum. When we start pretending we know how things work and making absolute statements, that's when we start raising passions for no good reason. We don't have the data and evidence to be as sure as we feel about some of these predictions. Unfortunately, people tend to become real tough guys on the Internet.

At the end of the day, it's just a game. A fun one, but just a game. It's not worth getting upset over.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The best conclusion we can draw from Snake's exclusion is that negotiations broke down between Sakurai and Konami. The reason isn't known. Sakurai hates cutting characters so I can see him trying to keep Snake back in but Konami probably played hard to get and due to tight time constraints Sakurai didn't bother because he didn't want to delay the games for a single character like he did with Brawl and Sonic.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
My reactions to RTC::facepalm:
Also my reaction to the street date being broken for Phantom Pain. I kind of expected it to happen but it doesn't stop me from being beyond irritated because I know some asshole is going to spoil the story in somewhere completely unrelated to Phantom Pain just like people did with Game of Thrones.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I forgot to go to RTC today to rate. I'll do it a little later, not feeling well right now.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Can someone give a condensed or point form version of the "Konami situation" and "Namco buying MGS"? I'm so confused.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Also my reaction to the street date being broken for Phantom Pain. I kind of expected it to happen but it doesn't stop me from being beyond irritated because I know some ******* is going to spoil the story in somewhere completely unrelated to Phantom Pain just like people did with Game of Thrones.
They broke the street date already? That's fast.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I feel like its better to just ignore it. Even with all the evidence we've put out, people will still believe in what they think. Doesn't matter, its just a thread for a few people to predict a character, NOT the general consensus.
I think the want score is more important. We have no idea what Snake's real chance is, but we can get an idea of how much people want him back, which doesn't require any reasoning or evidence. It seems a lot of people, even pessimists, want him back. A couple of pressed Pollies don't, but whatever. I don't get people wanting characters to be cut, especially unique characters. I have no affection for Mewtwo or Roy, and I got over Lucas quickly, but I was glad at their turn because their fans would be happy. Especially Mewtwo fans, those guys needed a break. Hopefully we're next.

I made Snake take his shirt off for giggles and accidentally wandered into a cutscene topless. It was almost as bad as the stupid outfits in Xenoblade ruining serious moments.

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to go to RTC today to rate. I'll do it a little later, not feeling well right now.
Hope you feel better, buddy! Eat your rations! ;~;
My reactions to RTC::facepalm:
*Snake supporters list a few different reasons why the Konami messing up thing isn't as big of a deal as was originally believed*
*Non Snake supporters* "Konami has completely nullified any chance of Snake coming back at all."

I might be exaggerating, but I'm sure if everyone was as knowledgeable about the current state of things as we were they'd be singing a different tune. Not to imply we know a lot, but seems like people are really clinging to arguments that don't have a huge impact anymore. At least, I think so.
I made Snake take his shirt off for giggles and accidentally wandered into a cutscene topless. It was almost as bad as the stupid outfits in Xenoblade ruining serious moments.
That's literally the worst in Xenoblade. If I could change one thing about that game, It'd be giving the cast more varied armor textures. And take out the weird tinfoil looking hat I keep getting for Shulk.

Last edited:

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
The issue is that other people don't seem to actually be reading the posts we make to gather perspective on the situation. They just write up their own post and be done with it, since a lot of them don't take into account recent information despite there being posts about it.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
That's literally the worst in Xenoblade. If I could change one thing about that game, It'd be giving the cast more varied armor textures. And take out the weird tinfoil looking hat I keep getting for Shulk.
Shirtless Dunban with glasses is the best, you kidding me? Philosophical hotties crossing blades with machines!

LightheartedBum

Smash Apprentice
That's what's so frustrating about it! Ugh. It's going to make it all the sweeter if he does come back. I'm not one for rubbing victories in, but I'm going to ******* party if he gets confirmed. With all you guys.
Shout outs to amazingly put together arguments from everyone from this thread. Just a shame people are so dismissive of Snake without knowing exactly what's going on. I feel like when you rate a characters chances you should research before you write. There IS a reason Snake was rerated.
Shirtless Dunban with glasses is the best, you kidding me? Philosophical hotties crossing blades with machines!
"It's just like one of my Japanese animes!"
edit: I'm glad I can see Shulk's abs in HD now, finally. Jeez. Ugh.

Last edited:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Hi guys! How is Snake doing today in the RTC thread? I would go put in my "two-sense" but I was really busy today and going to be tomorrow!

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I'm suprised people still bring up being biased, and on a thread that rates characters none the less. They should've known what they'd be walking into when they go into that thread. Like really, being biased toward a certain character is nothing new in RTC.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I'm suprised people still bring up being biased, and on a thread that rates characters none the less. They should've known what they'd be walking into when they go into that thread. Like really, being biased toward a certain character is nothing new in RTC.
A bit silly as well. Everyone is biased, and that's not exactly a bad thing, since fans of a character are generally more informed on their character.
But bleh, it'll probably be Snake's last time there. Because character reveal :denzel:
Results:
SNAKE
CHANCE: 30.15%
WANT: 57.79%

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
A bit silly as well. Everyone is biased, and that's not exactly a bad thing, since fans of a character are generally more informed on their character.
But bleh, it'll probably be Snake's last time there. Because character reveal :denzel:
Results:
I want Snake back really bad now, if someone on Reddit can find any Snake/Metal Gear evidence please inform us that someone is data mining the game. I actually want someone to go back and data mine the game now. You know, it shouldn't be at a point where I'm asking for a leak but I am. I feel desperate, then again I'll go for anything at this point.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I would like to know how the re-rate actually works.. I feel like it should look back at previous response's, and update the scores of the people who are voting again. For the people who hadn't voted that day, their score is added. Honestly it's just weird seeing Snake go from top 3 wanted, now at the 12th most wanted...

It's why I thought a re-rate was pointless. Yes, it allows us to revise our scores, but we already did Snake twice. Combined with how people may not vote again, it honestly leaves withwith a weird score, for ANY character really. And now Snake is at the 7th spot in chances, yet not in the top 10 wanted....really makes no sense.

Oh well, like it matters anyway. Once again, it doesn't show Snake's chances, its just fan speculation. Honestly I'd rather just wait this whole thing out until Sakurai says something, or DLC is over and we see no appearance of Snake.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Well, never forget that Roy was assumed a lost cause until he showed up in the data mine. Or that people argued against Megaman because of the "Capcom situation." Or that people thought Ryu just wouldn't fit in. And yet...

This RTC has basically ensured I'll never go back again, lol. No problem with the concept, just reading those posts raises my blood pressure and I'm trying to de-stress my life.

With this being said, those of you who haven't voted in the ballot for Snake yet, now would be an excellent time. Maybe ask your friends, family, coworkers, lawyers. :4shulk: "We can change our futures!"

Also, if (when? :denzel:) Snake is announced as DLC, I've got the perfect reaction GIF lined up in light of this whole situation.

EDIT: maybe this will cheer you up.
Source:
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/16/solid-snake-joins-the-brawl-translation/

Interviewer: Was Mr. Kojima glad that you included Snake?

Sakurai: Yes, he was very appreciative. He played as Snake in the finished game and said, “I really enjoyed that.” Since the fans have also responded well, putting in Snake and Sonic was well worth the effort.

The article places a lot of emphasis on fan reaction to Snake being positive and a surprise no other series newcomer is likely to match. Sakurai knows Snake was appreciated.

Also...

Snake’s inclusion began when Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima came to me around the time Melee was being completed, and asked, “Please put Snake in!” That was the real trigger that started everything. However, we couldn’t bring Snake into the world of Smash Bros. with just Mr. Kojima’s and my wishes. We needed the cooperation of both Nintendo and Konami, and the approval of other people involved in order to make it

Maybe this is part of the reason he didn't make it back in. Sakurai didn't stress this part as much for Sonic. Wonder who were the "other people involved" not part of Nintendo or Konami.

Another article on that site from Brawl times says Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff were almost cut from Brawl. You read that right, Jigglypuff, Smash 64 veteran, barely made it in. If he's capable of considering not bringing a 64 vet back, I think we need to reconsider our "rules" on rosters. I mean, IC were two time vets cut because of technical issues (and low priority, he low key adds, but technical issues is the big issue). But I am confident a Smash 5 game will bring them back. Hopefully Snake's absence is also only temporary and any issues pertaining to his inclusion will be resolved by the time the next game comes around. I ... went off on a tangent there. Basically, we don't know how Sakurai thinks, and he seems really happy to have included Snake and Sonic, so I don't think he'd have dropped him willy nilly. If DLC doesn't see us through, that doesn't mean he's doomed in Smash. We just have to keep waiting. (Sorry this post was so pointless)

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If he comes back, I'd expect the "Snake: I was wrong thread" to be at like page 500 in a few days.

Top Bottom