• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I think if Kojima actually knew Snake was in SSB4, I think his answer would've been different than...

If we assume he's being honest, then Snake is all but disconfirmed. There's just no way he could be in the game without Kojima knowing about it, and the roster has probably been locked for months.
Yet, Kojima is a very tricky guy to understand, and even then, you have to keep it a secret until Nintendo confirms he's in.

Shroob

Sup?
From the sound of it, he just said "Snake". And besides, since said character wouldn't be "Solid" Snake, wouldn't that make them technically a newcomer?

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
If we assume he's being honest,
Why would we do that?

And no, I don't just mean "LOLOLOL KOJIMA'S TROLLIN'" (though that's a possibility). He could also be under an NDA that prevents him from revealing anything until Nintendo/Konami lets him. He could also just not want to spoil the surprise that Sakurai wants to build.

Edit: Really though, we don't know what this means. We know about Snake's inclusion exactly what we knew about beforehand(read: NOTHING).

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'll give it til E3, but after that...

I feel like 3rd Party reps get a slight priority when it comes to reveals over normal characters, that's why Snake and Sonic were revealed despite being secret characters in Brawl and Sonic got an entire Direct trailer dedicated to him. After E3? If we see Pac-Man, my money's on he's out.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Why would we do that?
Why wouldn't we?

If Kojima couldn't talk about Snake in SSB4 for legal reasons, I would think he'd have a different answer prepared than "I don't think it's likely... if Sakurai is watching, I hope he uses him". IMO, he just casually answered honestly because there's not much to it to begin with. Snake's inclusion was a HUGE deal in Brawl, but is now less so.

Of course nothing will be truly confirmed unless it comes from Sakurai himself or the game is released, but I do think this was pointing in the direction of Snake being cut.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea the Kojima interview hurts snake big time but does not deconfirm him though he said I would like it if he is playable again.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
From the sound of it, he just said "Snake". And besides, since said character wouldn't be "Solid" Snake, wouldn't that make them technically a newcomer?
Not really. Snake in brawl was Solid Snake and was only listed as "Snake" and not "Solid Snake". Chances are that it's Solid Snake again if we get a "Snake" in Smash.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I must admit, I'm a tad worried.

I don't think this means much of anything, because Kojima is as much a troll as Sakurai is.

If Snake is cut, then I will be heading a petition for Snake as DLC. I want him back that badly. Not that that would work. But I would be rather upset at his exclusion.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not particularly worried, because whether or not Snake is cut, it seems unlikely that Kojima would be able to say anything either way, especially if he's not directly involved in the creation of the next Smash Bros. game, so the only answer he can really give is "I don't know, ask Sakurai/Nintendo." If he is cut, I'll be disappointed, but as it stands, there are plenty of reasons for Snake to return, and given how vague Kojima's answer was, it could be taken either way.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sakurai and Kojima are on the same trollish wavelength, if Snake wasn't in, Kojima would have outright said no. Like some have said, he likely can't disclose any information on the game so he lied, he's done stuff like this before. He does know, they would have done the licensing a long time ago, third parties aren't a "maybe,"

It almost felt like something Sakurai would have said, remember "We have absolutely nothing related to Pokemon today, really!" with Xerneas blatantly sitting there?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I am confused, worried, hyped, and calm all at the same time. I really don't know what to think of this, all I know is that this means something. Hopefully, we get a reveal for Snake soon.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I mean the comment really couldn't have gone a different way. Simply because he wouldn't be able to make the statement that Snake is in the game. He isn't allowed to do that if he's under contract. So there really isn't anything to take out of this quote I suppose.

There's no way to tell whether this quote means much, because Kojima is a troll at heart. He trolled hard with the Moby **** Studios thing.

Considering Sakurai said that nobody has been cut reserves some hope though. I don't know why he would say nobody was cut and then leave somebody out. Hopefully we see Snake at E3 to calm some nerves.

LoneR.O.B.

Smash Cadet
I don't think that Kojima would lie about this. Maybe a little joke, but this one is a serious one.
Rumors says that Kojima and Sakurai are "good friends", being Kojima who asked personally for Sakurai to use Snake in the Smash Series.
It's near to impossible that, at any point, Sakurai didn't tell him: "Hey, we're using Snake again, k? Good!" and asked for resources, texts and information about the games in development to update Snake.
Snake, R.I.P.
Just because I like him too much.
Feeling sad.
But the hopes of it being a bad joke never die!

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think that Kojima would lie about this. Maybe a little joke, but this one is a serious one.
Rumors says that Kojima and Sakurai are "good friends", being Kojima who asked personally for Sakurai to use Snake in the Smash Series.
It's near to impossible that, at any point, Sakurai didn't tell him: "Hey, we're using Snake again, k? Good!" and asked for resources, texts and information about the games in development to update Snake.
Snake, R.I.P.
Just because I like him too much.
Feeling sad.
But the hopes of it being a bad joke never die!
He'd be under contract that he can't say anything. Obviously he can't tell the truth about Snake if he's in.

Sakurai said no cuts. SEGA said roughly the same thing before Sonic got revealed.

This is nothing to worry about.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Soon, Snake shall slither. Smash, Snake shall stay.

Still hoping for a March 19th reveal date.

Shroob

Sup?
He'd be under contract that he can't say anything. Obviously he can't tell the truth about Snake if he's in.

Sakurai said no cuts. SEGA said roughly the same thing before Sonic got revealed.

This is nothing to worry about.
Sakurai said no cuts? Do you have a source on that?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai said no cuts? Do you have a source on that?
He said no cuts were planned. You can find it in the Smash resource thread.

Regardless, this Kojima article sounds like the new Pyrosphere.

Staarih

Smash Master
I felt like when the translator said "-- I don't think that's likely", Kojima was quick to add something funny, that being the part of "Sakurai, if you watch this, please use Snake!", as in to sort of lead us off of that negative answer and into believing the decision of Snake being in hasn't been made yet, when in reality it definitely is. The positive output of Kojima makes me hope for the best. But basically I feel like that Snake still has the same shot of being in has he did before the interview, so it's only a matter of time until he is revealed (or not).

D

Deleted member

He said no cuts were planned. You can find it in the Smash resource thread.

Regardless, this Kojima article sounds like the new Pyrosphere.

Ironically, the "no cuts" thing is sounding more like the new Pyrosphere.
Sakurai's statement applies for the Wii U/3DS roster in the sense that none of the planned characters for the pair of games had to go the way of the "Forbidden 7" so far. It does not infer that all of Brawl's roster are within the plans for the Wii U/3DS roster, however.

With that in mind, as sad as it may be, I'm hoping that Kojima's words snap people into place with that harsh reality.

Not that I'm saying Snake is for sure not coming back, but I'm not getting a good vibe with Kojima's choice of wording in comparison to Takashi Iizuka's statement on Sonic prior to his reveal...

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Snake is far from safe, but I wouldn't read too much into those types of comments. Remember Sakurai himself said "I can’t say that it’s entirely out of the realm of possibility that some Capcom character could appear in the next Smash Bros." when Megaman was most definitely planned to be in the game at that point in development.

More importantly, when asked about Sonic in Smash Bros. the developers of Lost World said this: "All we can say is that we also think it would be awesome if he was in the next Smash Bros. So yea, but that's more of a question for Nintendo than us."

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
KOJIMA WANTS TO SEE SNAKE RETURN TO SUPER SMASH BROS
MARCH 14, 2014
Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima has revealed during a Twitch Q&A session that he would love to see Snake feature in the nextSuper Smash Bros game for the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS. Kojima said that if Sakurai is watching the stream then he should consider including Snake in the game.

“I’m not working on that game so I don’t know, but I don’t think that’s likely”, explained Kojima. That said, he certainly doesn’t seem to be against the idea, saying, “Well if Mr. Sakurai is watching this, please use Snake.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/03/14/kojima-wants-to-see-snake-return-to-super-smash-bros/

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Pretty much everyone in the Internet has taken this as a confirmation that Snake is cut from SSB4.

... Except Smashboards, that is. :p

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Pretty much everyone in the Internet has taken this as a confirmation that Snake is cut from SSB4.

Yeah, the facebook fanpage of the game, think he's cut and are glad about it, I find that ridiculous...

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I agree. Snake was fun to play as, I don't see why anyone can be "happy" for an original character/moveset getting scrapped.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

I was so optimistic about Snake's return a few pages a go, now I'm concerned.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Well, if Kojima said "I can't talk about it for legal reasons," it wouldn't be much of a leap to assume:

A: He's got an NDA.
B: If he's got an NDA, Nintendo has contacted him.
C: If Nintendo contacted him, Snake is as good as confirmed.

So if Snake was in, and Kojima was under a NDA, Kojima would have to say something vague like "I dunno, I'm not working on it." If Kojima really doesn't know, he'd have to say something like "I dunno, I'm not working on it." Which is, ya know, exactly what he said. Factor in the massive troll that Kojima is, and... We have no clue.

*shrugs*

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Man outside of here (you guys at least have a level head about it) the mudslinging against snake has reached an all time high. Kojima's statement has literally crapped the bed, and all the snake haters are using it as fact that hes gone.

Im not saying everyone has to love snake by any means, but the reasons they are using are still as bad as ever, with the ever present: "he didnt fit" "he doesnt deserve it" and everything in between. Just look at a few ive seen from numerous sites.

- "Good. I was arguing with some dip on IGN about how Snake was most definitely not returning and all the person kept saying was that "Snake has half of his games on Nintendo platforms and that is more than enough reason to bring him back" and I kept saying that Sakurai won't add him, because Snake's games aren't on the WIi U... Like I said, the guy was a total dip and anyone who liked his post was and is a dip as well. Snake isn't going to be in SBB4, because he is pretty much irrelevant to Nintendo now (regardless of past history) and I don't really care at all. I never liked him to begin with."

-"Good. Hope they will keep those ps characters out of Nintendo games."

-"We'll only see him Return, if his games ever return to Nintendo systems outside of ports....so Never."

-"MGS fans are as delusional as the Sonic fans that expect Shadow to receive a spot on the roster. You Kojima drones should get ready for the disappointment that is Snake's absence because that is all you're going to get. #dealwithit"

-"I want my character in a NIntendo franchise...but i don't put my games on a Nintendo console...Kojima, please."

"Definitely Bayonetta. Platinum knows how to support the WIi U and Bayonetta is a much better character than Snake."

And this is only the tip of the crud that ive seen (alot of it had language i couldnt even post while making slurs against kojima himself for not making nintendo games). More than anything i hate that these guys think those reasons for his exclusion are validated now. I mean are nintendo gamers that closed off that they believe dues are owed to nintendo, and that closing off ties with konami is the right route to go? And even those saying that bayonetta should take his place because of her 1 game... come on man how is that any better then what they are hating on him for?

----
I dont know, i definitely have my doubts about his inclusion and always have. But i want to remain optimistic in the sense that sakurai has claimed hed try to please all fans with every character he could, and if kojima seems as willing as he was it would be horrible to think that he didnt even try. *sigh*, i just dont know what to think anymore.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
- "Good. I was arguing with some dip on IGN about how Snake was most definitely not returning and all the person kept saying was that "Snake has half of his games on Nintendo platforms and that is more than enough reason to bring him back" and I kept saying that Sakurai won't add him, because Snake's games aren't on the WIi U... Like I said, the guy was a total dip and anyone who liked his post was and is a dip as well. Snake isn't going to be in SBB4, because he is pretty much irrelevant to Nintendo now (regardless of past history) and I don't really care at all. I never liked him to begin with."
Oh Lord... Pit, Mega Man, Marth, Villager... None of them have games on the Wii U. That argument is terrible.

OH AND BY THE WAY METAL GEAR DOES HAVE A 3DS TITLE. So yeah, that argument's very dead.
-"Good. Hope they will keep those ps characters out of Nintendo games."

-"We'll only see him Return, if his games ever return to Nintendo systems outside of ports....so Never."

-"I want my character in a NIntendo franchise...but i don't put my games on a Nintendo console...Kojima, please."
Well gee, it's almost like Kojima actually likes two consoles, and just cares about making games. But that can't be right. Everyone knows you need to take sides in a ridiculous console war and bash every console that isn't the one you like. You can't acknowledge the high points of two different consoles ever. That would just be heresy.

Srsly though. I'm as much of a Nintendo fanboy as the next guy, but Kojima just happens to be a fan of both Sony and Nintendo. Maybe his games just do better on Sony consoles, since, I dunno, the Sony audience has a greater preference for realistic violence than the Nintendo audience? I dunno just spitballin' here. And Sakurai put advertisement for MGS IV on the freakin' Wii. It seems like the fans care more about the console war than the developers do.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
We just have to wait for March 19th, and if he's not in then, well wait for E3 2014. All we can do is wait. That's all we have done. If Snake is not in, we will acknowledge our loss, whine a bit (which I'd rather not do), and move on.

andimidna

Smash Master
Sakurai has kept Snake's return to Smash Bros, and will reveal him for Kojima's birthday as a birthday present.
#SakuraiXKojima4life

Seriously though, he got in Brawl because Kojima waned him there and they're friends.
And, still friends, Kojima has outright stated he wants him in again.
Even if Sakurai had orignally planned to remove him, he could easily add him this late in development.
Sonic, Toon Link, Jigglypuff, and Wolf were added very late in Brawl. The only affect this had was that they weren't a part of the main story in SSE. But the SSE is gone. So there is only benefit from this. The Metal Gear fanbase is very large. Especially when Nintendo is currently struggling to get 3rd part games on their console, his removal seems so... dumb. Why would they remove SNAKE?
One of the best and most technical characters in Brawl.
His inclusion could lead to at least a remake of a past MGS on Wii U Eshop?
People get very confused on what's realistic when it comes to character cuts.
I've seen people saying they hope he gets removed because he was too difficult to play as, and didn't appeal to children... wtf.
Everybody is someone's main. Each character got a person to want the game.
Everybody is important, and became relevant to Nintendo by being in Brawl.
No cuts is the way to go for this game. I don't think they're going to run out of time, and Snake should be a top priority character anyways.

andimidna

Smash Master
Are you just joking or are you being serious?
If I was being serious I wouldn't have transitioned to a serious thought with "seriously though" :p

Although I hope I'm right.
I also hope Kojima's birthday just happens to be the first day of E3, that would be quite convenient :p

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
If I was being serious I wouldn't have transitioned to a serious thought with "seriously though" :p

Although I hope I'm right.
I also hope Kojima's birthday just happens to be the first day of E3, that would be quite convenient :p
I'm hoping for a March reveal date, but E3 is just as likely.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I'm hoping for a March reveal date, but E3 is just as likely.
I'm hoping to see Snake in march, if he's revealed next week the reactions from all the people who have just called him "deconfirmed" would be glorious.

on a different note, has anyone seen the reverse cover art for ground zeroes yet?
[collapse=this is it, spoilers for ground zeroes cover?]

[/collapse]
Looks pretty awesome, if you ask me. I'm probably just going to reverse it as soon as i get the game in the mail

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
My spidey senses are tingling, I'm detecting a snake reveal/nintendo direct soon!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Snake can't be cut! We still need a lyrical version of Snake Eater!
We also need the main MGS theme. I can't beleive that wasn't in Brawl. Maybe, it was due to the controversy of sounding like the song Winter Road...

Top Bottom