• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So, like @ HylianHeroBigBoss HylianHeroBigBoss Said, Sakurai has stated that he does not care for console war shenanigans.
Apparently sakurai cares not for your console war

---
Glad hes got a good head on his shoulders in this aspect
While it may not do so massively, this definitely helps Snake, effectively removing the "cheering for opposite side" argument in his return. It's easy to infer from this that Sakurai obviously doesn't Check the "ratio" of playstation mgs games to nintendo mgs games, so it does not matter.
What matters is that Snake is a part of Nintendo's history as well as Sony's history and as such there is little reason for him to not return.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
I'm watching a Twitch interview with Kojima. They just talked about Snake in Smash a few minutes ago. I couldn't quite make out the response he made though (there was a lot of chatter between the three people in the interview). Try looking for the video if it gets uploaded later.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
According to GameFAQs, he said he isn't sure, but he'd like to see him return in Smash Bros. If I recall correctly, something similar was said about Sonic returning to Smash Bros. - at any rate, I doubt that he'd be allowed to outright say "yeah, Snake's coming back" before Nintendo officially announces it.

Edit: here's the quote I was thinking of: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-says-its-nintendo/

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay people... do we know if Kojima was directly involved with Brawl?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
My press release
---
In an interview with Geoff Keighley through a translator and via Twitch a few moments ago, Hideo Kojima responded to a question, 'will Snake be in Smash 4?'
"I'm not working on the game, so I don't know, but I don't think that's likely," Kojima doesn't think it's likely, I'm taking that as honest opinion, and weighing a lot of importance on this line.
The translator then says. "If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, well, please use Snake," . . . I'm not sure about those last three words, though, the audio quality is doo doo.

I take no subterfuge in any comments, and view them as honestly spoken. I do not think he knows.
Well, I know the people who worked on Twilight Princess were involved with Brawl for the models and stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if Kojima was involved in some small capacity for Snake.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kojima is a troll right?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Taking Kojima's words at face value is a huge mistake.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Taking Kojima's words at face value is a huge mistake.
Don't worry, I'm just doing it for the sake of the discussion. I would rather live where all people are honest anyways.
Also, his face is priceless when he's responding. That grin.

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Is Kojima a lie or not, we need someone to get out the meaning as fast as possible.
He's pretty coy when he trolls. In this he directly said it was not likely. So... You also have to realize they have to get 3rd party announcements out before release due to copyrights on the site and box. We have possibly Pac-Man at E3 but that leaves a small amount of time for Snake. This was not similar to the Sonic situation, it was similar to what Inafune said about Mega Man before Brawls release, and we know how that turned out.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
He's pretty coy when he trolls. In this he directly said it was not likely. So... You also have to realize they have to get 3rd party announcements out before release due to copyrights on the site and box. We have possibly Pac-Man at E3 but that leaves a small amount of time for Snake. This was not similar to the Sonic situation, it was similar to what Inafune said about Mega Man before Brawls release, and we know how that turned out.
They could reveal both Pac-Man and Snake at E3. It wouldn't be that weird for a game to reveal two guests at one event.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kojima's grin is a bit interesting...

Anyone read body language?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Don't worry, I'm just doing it for the sake of the discussion. I would rather live where all people are honest anyways.
Also, his face is priceless when he's responding. That grin.
I can't see the video currently, but i'll make sure to.
I'm pretty sure i can tell Kojima's It's all a ruse huehuehuehue grin, so i'm anxious to see this.
On a related note, Here's something awesome from ground zeroes in bad resolution
[collapse=spoilers for ground zeroes, but only slight spoilers]
http://giant.gfycat.com/InfiniteSparseDoctorfish.webm
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...well that isn't as vague as simply being unsure, so I question what I said in terms of it being a simple way to dismiss a question initially. Honestly, not sure what to think. I think Kojima is at least lying about it being unlikely. Sakurai confirmed the roster awhile ago, and the creator of the character would know if his character is being used. I'm pretty sure it is either a guaranteed yes or no at this point. Kojima's statements are just odd though, really tough to read why he would say "please use Snake!" during a fan interview. It is almost as if he is trying to pressure Sakurai into it. Maybe Snake is cut but he is hoping Sakurai adds him as DLC down the line or something? Maybe on the other hand Snake is in, but he is really trying to play the "I really don't know" card and is saying things to make it more believable. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
His body language really didn't seem like a no. Maybe I'm just being hopeful.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...well that isn't as vague as simply being unsure, so I question what I said in terms of it being a simple way to dismiss a question initially. Honestly, not sure what to think. I think Kojima is at least lying about it being unlikely. Sakurai confirmed the roster awhile ago, and the creator of the character would know if his character is being used. I'm pretty sure it is either a guaranteed yes or no at this point. Kojima's statements are just odd though, really tough to read why he would say "please use Snake!" during a fan interview. It is almost as if he is trying to pressure Sakurai into it. Maybe Snake is cut but he is hoping Sakurai adds him as DLC down the line or something? Maybe on the other hand Snake is in, but he is really trying to play the "I really don't know" card and is saying things to make it more believable. Thoughts?
Yeah, wouldn't it have been better to say "You'll have to ask Sakurai?"

Here's the quote that's similar from Inafune - FROM BEFORE BRAWL

"Well, I really do love Super Smash Brothers. It’s a great series…but, Nintendo hasn’t asked me yet if they can use Mega Man in their game. I’m still waiting…we have a little bit of time left, it’s not coming out for another few months. They might get around to asking us if we’d like to put Mega Man in Super Smash Brothers. Maybe if somebody from Nintendo is listening to this podcast, they’ll give me a call."

This just doesn't sound too promising.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
What i take from that is that Kojima saw this question coming, and that he knows more than what he's currently saying. Not certain because it seems more of a "I know this answer but you can't right now." smile than a "I'm lying through my teeth, and this was all part of the plan" smile.
Kojima is god tier about keeping secrets from us, so i won't be surprised if he actually is working on sm4sh indirectly, and is just throwing us off the trail, stuff like this has happened before.

The optimist in me says that he's entertaining the possibility because he knows snake is in, he usually wouldn't use that kind of wording if he knew there was no chance of snake. Kojima usually doesn't keep disappointment a secret unless its name is Raiden, and he can't just say "snake is in" because Sakurai's gotta reveal him.
Yeah, wouldn't it have been better to say "You'll have to ask Sakurai?"

Here's the quote that's similar from Inafune - FROM BEFORE BRAWL

"Well, I really do love Super Smash Brothers. It’s a great series…but, Nintendo hasn’t asked me yet if they can use Mega Man in their game. I’m still waiting…we have a little bit of time left, it’s not coming out for another few months. They might get around to asking us if we’d like to put Mega Man in Super Smash Brothers. Maybe if somebody from Nintendo is listening to this podcast, they’ll give me a call."

This just doesn't sound too promising.
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-says-its-nintendo/
On the flip side, there's this similar quote from sega about sonic in sm4sh.
Remember, Kojima probably can't outright say if he'll be in before the possible reveal.

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
What i take from that is that Kojima saw this question coming, and that he knows more than what he's currently saying. Not certain because it seems more of a "I know this answer but you can't right now." smile than a "I'm lying through my teeth, and this was all part of the plan" smile.
Kojima is god tier about keeping secrets from us, so i won't be surprised if he actually is working on sm4sh indirectly, and is just throwing us off the trail, stuff like this has happened before.

The optimist in me says that he's entertaining the possibility because he knows snake is in, he usually wouldn't use that kind of wording if he knew there was no chance of snake. Kojima usually doesn't keep disappointment a secret unless its name is Raiden, and he can't just say "snake is in" because Sakurai's gotta reveal him.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/...super-smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-says-its-nintendo/
On the flip side, there's this similar quote from sega about sonic in sm4sh.
Remember, Kojima probably can't outright say if he'll be in before the possible reveal.
The issue is the differences in the second part. Instead of "I'm not sure, please ask Sakurai?" He said "I'm not sure, Sakurai please use him!" Also the fact that Kojima is not working on the game at all is concerning, didn't he contribute to stage and music?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
The issue is the differences in the second part. Instead of "I'm not sure, please ask Sakurai?" He said "I'm not sure, Sakurai please use him!" Also the fact that Kojima is not working on the game at all is concerning, didn't he contribute to stage and music?
That was the translator's quote, and it could mean a variety of things, not to mention that he could just be saying that to put up a show.
Kojima has lied in front of crowds of fans with a straight face before, but Metal gear can still contribute to smash without Kojima's input. (rising and twin snakes are two games that have proven that Sakurai is not required for metal gear games)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That was the translator's quote, and it could mean a variety of things, not to mention that he could just be saying that to put up a show.
Kojima has lied in front of crowds of fans with a straight face before
I believe you but could you give some examples?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
What i can take away from this discussion:
1. Kojima's a troll
2. Snake may or may not be back
3. Kojima's a troll

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I believe you but could you give some examples?
Sons of liberty was advertised as a snake only game, Raiden's appearance was pretty much known as one of the biggest trolls in recent histories
He's said multiple times that he plans on this metal gear being the last in the series (by this i mean mgs2 mgs1 and mgs4, this could just be konami interference though, but i think its to keep sequels a suprise)
The whole moby **** studios fiasco regarding mgsv is a really recent one.
Sorry i can't link anything, my internet access is currently limited.

Kojima's actions are more along the lines of ruses than actual lies, but this situation can apply to that as well.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Keep in mind that he is probably under an NDA of some sort, so he likely can't even say anything until Sakurai reveals something officially/the game comes out.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
What bigtime developer doesn't troll apparently?

Regardless, this all makes me feel better about Snake's chances even more.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Its hard to say, especially like others have said since kojima is notorious for misleading us to create hype. The whole fake studio and elaborate hoax that was the phantom pain is proof of that. But im still inclined to believe he wouldnt outright say it like any other dev wouldnt, even sonic team didnt. Im bias for snake and his inclusion no doubt, so will look for the bright side of this, and ill remain optimistic. I know him getting the boot is a reality i and many other snake fans might have to face. But since this doesnt outright deny his inclusion, I don't think it means much of anything.

But heres the thing, i think if he is gone, this may have just helped him a great deal. If he wasnt in then he might be now, with kojima knowing about fans wanting him in and the fact its now in his head, he might just make the effort to contact sakurai. I mean really he would be one of the easier characters to bring back in this late in the game, with the base they had for brawl.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What if he's being honest? Remember when people asked Capcom at Megaman's big event if he was playable... and he wasn't? In Brawl that is.

Last edited:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
What if he's being honest? Remember when people asked Capcom at Megaman's big event if he was playable... and he wasn't? In Brawl that is.
And Sega said something similar about Sonic.....for SSB4.

You guys seriously think Kojima would up and reveal something about this game at an event like this without the go-ahead from Sakurai? Really?

This changes nothing. We still don't know if Snake is in or not.

Shroob

Sup?
And Sega said something similar about Sonic.....for SSB4.

You guys seriously think Kojima would up and reveal something about this game at an event like this without the go-ahead from Sakurai? Really?

This changes nothing. We still don't know if Snake is in or not.
Well, to be fair, Capcom flat out said that Pre-Brawl "We have not been contacted by Mr.Sakurai", and then in the end, they were telling the truth.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Damn. Doesn't sound good.

I was thinking in a Direct this month, they would confirm a port of MGSV to Wii U, and immediately after, a Smash Bros. announcement about Snake in Brawl...alas it doesn't look like that will be happening.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Damn. Doesn't sound good.

I was thinking in a Direct this month, they would confirm a port of MGSV to Wii U, and immediately after, a Smash Bros. announcement about Snake in Brawl...alas it doesn't look like that will be happening.
This was the ideal turnout of this month for me.
It's basically been confirmed that the fox engine is really easy to port and scale, and using a tablet for a map and other things while not having a wii u version of the game almost feels like a crime. I do not know what's going on in Kojima's head, so i can't criticize him, but the lack of support for nintendo so far has disappointed me.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I think if Kojima actually knew Snake was in SSB4, I think his answer would've been different than...

Kojima said:
I'm not working on that game, but i don't think it's likely. If Mr. Sakurai is watching this, hopefully we see Snake.
If we assume he's being honest, then Snake is all but disconfirmed. There's just no way he could be in the game without Kojima knowing about it, and the roster has probably been locked for months.

Top Bottom