• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

D

Deleted member

I was going to argue this until I saw the characters that you support in your sig. Tells me everything I need to know
I wouldn't want to argue with a pathetic troll like you, anyway. So thanks for doing me a favor.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Why is there even a discussion over what weapons Snake will use?

Just make him identical to Brawl
That makes sense, but I think we're talking about what potential censors Sakurai will put on Snake. Then again, if Snake got away with using explosives and other realistic modern weaponry in Brawl, who's to say he won't get away with it again.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Just my opinion, the weapons were a little too real...I don't even like that argument though because Samus has a missile launcher type attack, but his grab and pummel (snapping people's necks?) seemed like a little much. Sure just about every character punches and kicks, I just see that as a bit darker and not fit for Smash Bros. I know it fits Snake's character to do so. It's not a huge deal, I wouldn't care if he came back or not.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I don't see it as any darker than characters who have grabs that involve slashing through the opponent with swords, literally drilling them into the ground, or just burning/electrocuting them alive.

Granted all of this is cartoony given the characters doing it, but I'm almost sure the bias exists purely because Snake is the one doing it. Absolutely no one would be complaining if Jigglypuff was the one snapping necks.

D

Deleted member

I would.....because it's Jigglypuff.
If it was someone with relatively normal proportions, however....

But to be on the serious side, other than the sound effect giving implication of snapping necks, it seems more that Snake is applying a chokehold rather than snapping necks. Ivysaur's pummel uses the same sound effect, and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be squeezing the opponent with the vines as opposed to breaking their backs.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
No clue, if I had to guess, I'd say no, we have CHILDREN playing smash bros, I don't think Snake would've been a good influence on children. I don't mean any disrespect here, but I'm just saying that they should probably make the series more child friendly.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Children will be influenced by all the other characters just as much as by Snake. Punching is a real action too. And blades are much more obtainable than guns. I'm fine with people thinking violence could be a problem in what they think is a kids' game, but Snake shouldn't be singled out for something other characters have as well.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Children will be influenced by all the other characters just as much as by Snake. Punching is a real action too. And blades are much more obtainable than guns. I'm fine with people thinking violence could be a problem in what they think is a kids' game, but Snake shouldn't be singled out for something other characters have as well.
Look at it this way, Snake is a rated M character, and Rated M Characters should NOT have any involvement in smash, so yes, Snake was a bad influence on children. Also, Sakurai was reluctant to put Snake into brawl, so he's as good as gone.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Look at it this way, Snake is a rated M character, and Rated M Characters should NOT have any involvement in smash, so yes, Snake was a bad influence on children. Also, Sakurai was reluctant to put Snake into brawl, so he's as good as gone.
ESRB doesn't rate characters. They rate games. If a Nintendo character made an appearance in an M rated game, would they suddenly be unfit for smash?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
...Sakurai was not reluctant to put Snake into Brawl. Where on earth did you get that information?

Kojima asked Sakurai to put Snake in Melee, but the game was too far into development. Sakurai went back to Kojima and asked him if he still wanted Snake in for Brawl. That doesn't sound reluctant to me, quite the opposite. Do you understand the amount of trouble he has to go through to include a third party character? He wouldn't have done it at all if he was "reluctant." And Snake being too violent for children? That sure stopped him from being in Brawl right? Children shouldn't be playing a T rated game in the first place, that's their parent's fault, not Nintendo's. Please kindly take your anti Snake bias elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
...Sakurai was not reluctant to put Snake into Brawl. Where on earth did you get that information?

Kojima asked Sakurai to put Snake in Melee, but the game was too far into development. Sakurai went back to Kojima and asked him if he still wanted Snake in for Brawl. That doesn't sound reluctant to me, quite the opposite. Do you understand the amount of trouble he has to go through to include a third party character? He wouldn't have done it at all if he was "reluctant." And Snake being too violent for children? That sure stopped him from being in Brawl right? Children shouldn't be playing a T rated game in the first place, that's their parent's fault, not Nintendo's. Please kindly take your anti Snake bias elsewhere.
No, Kojima ceaselessly begged Sakurai like a poor man living in the streets to put Snake in the game, and if you take a look back into the past, the first Smash was rated E, and Melee being just as violent as the second smash was only rated T because graphics made the violence look realistic, I started smashing when I was SIX, because my parents have seen my cousins play Melee before they let me play with them, it would be a different story if that were Brawl. I'm not biased, I don't hate Snake, I just think rated m characters in smash is a big mistake for a rated T game, and I'm also backed up by two highly experienced video game talk show spokespeople.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
rated m characters
This thing right here, you did it again. Snake isn't what's rated M. The games he's from are. But the rated M content wasn't carried over to Brawl. If the characters themselves were being excluded for not being child-friendly, Ganondorf would never have made it in. Also as JamesDNaux stated, the game's T-rated. So kids aren't "supposed" to be playing it anyway.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This thing right here, you did it again. Snake isn't what's rated M. The games he's from are. But the rated M content wasn't carried over to Brawl. If the characters themselves were being excluded for not being child-friendly, Ganondorf would never have made it in. Also as JamesDNaux stated, the game's T-rated. So kids aren't "supposed" to be playing it anyway.
Please leave me alone, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
the first Smash was rated E, and Melee being just as violent as the second smash was only rated T because graphics made the violence look realistic
The violence being more realistic is a perfectly legitimate reason to change the rating of a game...

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I think you're forgetting something. Guns and and other modern weaponry don't kill people, the person behind it does. They're just as inanimate as the keyboard you're typing on. The C4 Snake uses and the grenades he throws are only lethal because he uses them as such. Even so, the charcter an explicitly dying right on-screen, just like with Ike's Aether. In fact, his weapons (in effect) are more akin to concussion explosives used for incapacitating opponents, not killing them. If you're complaining about Snake, why aren't you complaining about Marth or Fox?

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I think you're forgetting something. Guns and and other modern weaponry don't kill people, the person behind it does. They're just as inanimate as the keyboard you're typing on. The C4 Snake uses and the grenades he throws are only lethal because he uses them as such. Even so, the charcter an explicitly dying right on-screen, just like with Ike's Aether. In fact, his weapons (in effect) are more akin to concussion explosives used for incapacitating opponents, not killing them. If you're complaining about Snake, why aren't you complaining about Marth or Fox?
Because those characters are not Rated M. Fox is more athletic than he is about lasers, and there's no blood or anything like that in Fire Emblem.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Because those characters are not Rated M. Fox is more athletic than he is about lasers, and there's no blood or anything like that in Fire Emblem.
There's no blood when Snake uses his pummel of any his explosives. What's you point?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
There's no blood when Snake uses his pummel of any his explosives. What's you point?
My point is that a Snake is from a rated m series of sniper mission type shooter games, and will have an extremely bad influence on children. Even his Final Smash is violent, so he's going to be cut.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
My point is that a Snake is from a rated m series of sniper mission type shooter games, and will have an extremely bad influence on children. Even his Final Smash is violent, so he's going to be cut.
Snake actually comes for a stealth gamer, were your main objective is to avoid the enemy. I can understand that you're concerned about violent video games, I am to. Games like COD and GTA I heavily am against. However, Smash is not realistic. It was rated Teen before Snake joined, and even if he leaves, Smash will probably stay rated Teen. If Snake was real that much of a problem, SSBB would have been rated M.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Snake actually comes for a stealth gamer, were your main objective is to avoid the enemy. I can understand that you're concerned about violent video games, I am to. Games like COD and GTA I heavily am against. However, Smash is not realistic. It was rated Teen before Snake joined, and even if he leaves, Smash will probably stay rated Teen. If Snake was real that much of a problem, SSBB would have been rated M.
I know that the game will stay Rated T, but it doesn't matter, Snake's still leaving.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I know that the game will stay Rated T, but it doesn't matter, Snake's still leaving.
Just to clarify, you think Snake is leaving because his fighting style is violent and his weaponry is too realistic and is a bad influence on our children? Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Link uses swords, arrows, explosives... and in Ocarina of Time, Link kills Ganondorf, and he actually bleeds. Should Link be removed from Smash?

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Link uses swords, arrows, explosives... and in Ocarina of Time, Link kills Ganondorf, and he actually bleeds. Should Link be removed from Smash?
Not to mention the multiple impalings Ganondorf has received, twice in the face. I don't care what ESRB says, no amount of blood is as bad as that.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Just putting this out there: Lasers hurt. A lot. Ever watch Star Wars? A weapon is a weapon.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
No, Kojima ceaselessly begged Sakurai like a poor man living in the streets to put Snake in the game, and if you take a look back into the past, the first Smash was rated E, and Melee being just as violent as the second smash was only rated T because graphics made the violence look realistic, I started smashing when I was SIX, because my parents have seen my cousins play Melee before they let me play with them, it would be a different story if that were Brawl. I'm not biased, I don't hate Snake, I just think rated m characters in smash is a big mistake for a rated T game, and I'm also backed up by two highly experienced video game talk show spokespeople.
Holy run on sentence Batman, let me stop you right there. Kojima did not "ceaselessly beg Sakurai like a poor man," or were you there to witness said "begging?" Sakurai and Kojima are good friends, and Kojima requested Sakurai to add Snake because his son asked him why his own character wasn't in the game. Once again I must state, the licensing and trouble one must go through to acquire a third party character is no small feat, if Sakurai went through the trouble of adding Snake for his friend, then they must be damn good friends, and I don't think he would go against his word and remove Snake after adding him.

Like you say, you were playing the game when you were six, just about every twelve-year-old with a console is playing bloody, M-rated shooters that they sure as hell shouldn't be playing. You think Snake appearing in Smash, in a non-violent manner mind you, is going to harm these children? You're backed up by two "highly experienced" talk show gamers? You lost even more credibility in my book, because those kinds of people tend to be biased as hell and don't know a damn thing they're talking about. You know the biggest thing that makes everything you're spouting a load of BS? Snake is too violent? He's from M rated games? He doesn't fit in Smash Bros.? Guess what, he was already in Brawl, despite the "violence," or his games' ratings. That didn't stop him before now did it?

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Holy run on sentence Batman, let me stop you right there. Kojima did not "ceaselessly beg Sakurai like a poor man," or were you there to witness said "begging?" Sakurai and Kojima are good friends, and Kojima requested Sakurai to add Snake because his son asked him why his own character wasn't in the game. Once again I must state, the licensing and trouble one must go through to acquire a third party character is no small feat, if Sakurai went through the trouble of adding Snake for his friend, then they must be damn good friends, and I don't think he would go against his word and remove Snake after adding him.

Like you say, you were playing the game when you were six, just about every twelve-year-old with a console is playing bloody, M-rated shooters that they sure as hell shouldn't be playing. You think Snake appearing in Smash, in a non-violent manner mind you, is going to harm these children? You're backed up by two "highly experienced" talk show gamers? You lost even more credibility in my book, because those kinds of people tend to be biased as hell and don't know a damn thing they're talking about. You know the biggest thing that makes everything you're spouting a load of BS? Snake is too violent? He's from M rated games? He doesn't fit in Smash Bros.? Guess what, he was already in Brawl, despite the "violence," or his games' ratings. That didn't stop him before now did it?
Let's just stop talking, were not going anywhere with this shenanigans.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
You're the one who started the debate, we were just debating with you. But sure, this debate is getting a little old and repetitive anyway.

So what new changes do you think Sakurai is going to make to the codecs? Those have always been a fun edition in Smash.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
So what new changes do you think Sakurai is going to make to the codecs? Those have always been a fun edition in Smash.
Well im still hoping they give him the big boss make over, since he could be introduced to all the previous characters solid snake learned about the first time, with a fresh look at them and new characters to have back and forth with. Maybe even have tapes you can collect and listen too, since they didnt exactly have codec as it was in brawl during naked snakes era.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Well im still hoping they give him the big boss make over, since he could be introduced to all the previous characters solid snake learned about the first time, with a fresh look at them and new characters to have back and forth with. Maybe even have tapes you can collect and listen too, since they didnt exactly have codec as it was in brawl during naked snakes era.
Considering the most likely way Big Boss is in SSB4 is through an Alternate Costume, but I could see Tapes being a collectible like CD's. Or maybe as playing with the Big Boss Alt, you get different codecs.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
You're the one who started the debate, we were just debating with you. But sure, this debate is getting a little old and repetitive anyway.

Actually, that brings up another point. If Snake does return, and the codecs return as well, and the mechanic is the same (codecs are playable only on SMI)... Then... Will SMI return as the MGS stage, or will we get a new stage?

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Actually, that brings up another point. If Snake does return, and the codecs return as well, and the mechanic is the same (codecs are playable only on SMI)... Then... Will SMI return as the MGS stage, or will we get a new stage?
Hopefully both. SMI and Grozy Grad would be great. I see Big Shell as a more likely possibility due to it being easier to design.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sounds to me like you lost and you're salty about it! XD

Just remember, you brought it up. Don't be surprised that people expect you to finish it.

Top Bottom