• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Not likely. While it is confirmed the Snake in SSBB is Solid Snake, I think Sakurai will keep using the current hybrid model of Solid Snake and Naked Snake he has. It appeals to both fans of Solid Snake and Naked Snake.

Last edited:

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Not likely. While it is confirmed the Snake in SSBB is Solid Snake, I think Sakurai should keep using the current hybrid model of Solid Snake and Naked Snake he has. It appeals to both fans of Solid Snake and Naked Snake.
I agree. However, I think alternate costumes would fix this. All I ask for is a Big Boss skin and eye patch.

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
I agree. However, I think alternate costumes would fix this. All I ask for is a Big Boss skin and eye patch.
Great point. But that raises the question, which Snake would it be? As I said before, the Snake in SSBB that was definitely Solid Snake. So if the Snake was confirmed to be Naked, technically speaking, Solid Snake would have been cut. (I would hate to my favorite character in gaming cut.) So would it be a Solid Snake with an alt. as Naked? or naked with an alt. as Solid? Solid or Naked? Personally, I think will be Solid Snake with a alt. of Naked, since Kojima wanted Solid in Smash over Naked for a reason(Frankly I could go on about who's the true hero of Metal Gear, but that's an essay for another day.) (I feel so dirty writing on this thread sometimes.)

On another topic, how likely are alternate costumes? Alt. costumes could be a great way for Nintendo to make money assuming they release them as DLC packs. A lot gaming companies do it these days, but Nintendo has never been like other game companies. I guess it could happen, but it's not as likely as Mewtwo getting in.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Great point. But that raises the question, which Snake would it be? As I said before, the Snake in SSBB that was definitely Solid Snake. So if the Snake was confirmed to be Naked, technically speaking, Solid Snake would have been cut. (I would hate to my favorite character in gaming cut.) So would it be a Solid Snake with an alt. as Naked? or naked with an alt. as Solid? Solid or Naked? Personally, I think will be Solid Snake with a alt. of Naked, since Kojima wanted Solid in Smash over Naked for a reason(Frankly I could go on about who's the true hero of Metal Gear, but that's an essay for another day.) (I feel so dirty writing on this thread sometimes.)

On another topic, how likely are alternate costumes? Alt. costumes could be a great way for Nintendo to make money assuming they release them as DLC packs. A lot gaming companies do it these days, but Nintendo has never been like other game companies. I guess it could happen, but it's not as likely as Mewtwo getting in.
Oh yeah, the true hero of MGS is a long article lol. I say David remains and John as the alternate costume (see what I did there?).

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, the true hero of MGS is a long article lol. I say David remains and John as the alternate costume (see what I did there?).
Stop trying to pull a "John" on me! :D

Personally, I think David is the true hero of MGS, due to overcoming the darkness and inner demons that John could not overcome.
Plus David was in Smash before and is more of a prominent character.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Stop trying to pull a "John" on me! :D

Personally, I think David is the true hero of MGS, due to overcoming the darkness and inner demons that John could not overcome.
Plus David was in Smash before and is more of a prominent character.
True true. Id just really like to see that alternate costume. And how about a Mk. II assist trophy? :yeahboi:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Im sure sakurai would push for solid snake, but im almost certain kojima would have a say in it as well, so he might want naked to be the default. I honestly want it to be naked snake, since he brings much more to the table, especially with new characters to have codec convos with. I know they are totally different characters, but at its core they are both still snake, and i dont think the transition would be that different then us getting different versions of link. I dont want to be stuck with mgs2 snake forever, but if that had to be the case id be fine with it since id rather have one snake than none.

I have a feeling though that kojima will want big boss to take over though, we know he already prefers him over snake at this point. Just based on this

Q: As the series has progressed you seem to be focusing more on Big Boss as a main character. Do you just prefer him over Solid Snake?

Kojima: You have to keep in mind that Solid Snake is not a real human. [As in, within the story universe, Solid Snake is a genetically modified clone.] On the other hand, Big Boss is a real human being with true emotions. He can be more expressive than Solid Snake. So yes, as a result I find him more compelling to write.

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Im sure sakurai would push for solid snake, but im almost certain kojima would have a say in it as well, so he might want naked to be the default. I honestly want it to be naked snake, since he brings much more to the table, especially with new characters to have codec convos with. I know they are totally different characters, but at its core they are both still snake, and i dont think the transition would be that different then us getting different versions of link. I dont want to be stuck with mgs2 snake forever, but if that had to be the case id be fine with it since id rather have one snake than none.

I have a feeling though that kojima will want big boss to take over though, we know he already prefers him over snake at this point. Just based on this

Q: As the series has progressed you seem to be focusing more on Big Boss as a main character. Do you just prefer him over Solid Snake?
Kojima: You have to keep in mind that Solid Snake is not a real human. [As in, within the story universe, Solid Snake is a genetically modified clone.] On the other hand, Big Boss is a real human being with true emotions. He can be more expressive than Solid Snake. So yes, as a result I find him more compelling to write.
I disagree with the point that Solid Snake "is not a real human", but then again, its Kojima's series. I personally prefer Solid over Naked, and they are different characters. I like them both for different reasons, I just like Solid Snake (specifically MG-MG2 and MGS1-MGS2) better. But weather it's Naked Snake with a Solid Snake alt., or Solid Snake with a Naked Snake alt., we both get our Snakes.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Do both of those things! An alt. costume of Big Boss and Mk. II Assist Trophy would be great! But how would said assist trophy work?
I imagine the Mk.II racing around and going into stealth mode. It would randomly stun opponents much like ZSS's neutral special.

Morbi

Scavenger

Confirmation that Big Boss is the superior character. I am certainly inclined to agree with Kojima. At the very least, Big Boss should be an alternative costume. I have a feeling that MGS5 will be this generations MGS4 (obviously). So, Smash would be more relevant and cohesive to add Big Boss over Solid Snake, but I am not necessarily holding my breath. Most Smash fans are probably expecting Solid to return.

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Most Smash fans are probably expecting Solid to return.
I know I am, but like HylianHeroBigBoss said, better one Snake than none. Not wanting to start a flame war, but why is Big Boss superior? To me (My Opinion) it seems Solid Snake had to clean up after Big Boss's (and the rest of The Patriot's) mess.

Morbi

Scavenger
I know I am, but like HylianHeroBigBoss said, better one Snake than none.
Again, when it comes down to it, Solid makes sense for Smash. I don't deny that, but I am completely and utterly biased. Big Boss is probably my favorite video-game character... Solid... well, I have never been a fan.

Someone stated this (they brought this notion to my attention) in another thread, but Snake isn't going to be cut as that would be an overt contradiction in his statements. An inherent quality of having no cuts... is having no cuts. So when he stated that, he indirectly implied that Snake was going to return. If he acquired the rights at the time of writing, of course. Needless to say, he did. There is no reason to assume that Snake wasn't included in his 3rd party license acquiring fiasco. He had Mega Man prior to E3 and he presumably had Sonic, again, prior to E3. So it is rational to presume that he also had acquired Snake's rights, thus as there were no cuts, Snake isn't cut.

So I am not worried. We will be getting one Snake.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
That could work. Any stage ideas?
Something from Snake Eater. Maybe Groznyj Grad? Then again it depends which Snake is in.

I still think it makes more sense to have John im the game since Snake Eater was on 3DS. Or maybe that can be the 3DS stage, Groznyj Grad. Who knows?

What are your thoughts?

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Again, when it comes down to it, Solid makes sense for Smash. I don't deny that, but I am completely and utterly biased. Big Boss is probably my favorite video-game character... Solid... well, I have never been a fan.

Someone stated this (they brought this notion to my attention) in another thread, but Snake isn't going to be cut as that would be an overt contradiction in his statements. An inherent quality of having no cuts... is having no cuts. So when he stated that, he indirectly implied that Snake was going to return. If he acquired the rights at the time of writing, of course. Needless to say, he did. There is no reason to assume that Snake wasn't included in his 3rd party license acquiring fiasco. He had Mega Man prior to E3 and he presumably had Sonic, again, prior to E3. So it is rational to presume that he also had acquired Snake's rights, thus as there were no cuts, Snake isn't cut.

So I am not worried. We will be getting one Snake.
Nor am I. I just feel the same way about Solid Snake as you do about Big Boss, and I can't deny that Big Boss has became the new main protagonist of MGS. I'm happy that Kojima hasn't forgotten about Solid Snake, since they're implementing him as "Classic Snake" (Hah! Solid is the Original and Classic! Hah!) along with other part of the original MGS. But the main reason I want to have Solid Snake in Smash is because Solid Snake being in Smash is what introduced me to the whole MGS series, and I don't want to see that go.

Something from Snake Eater. Maybe Groznyj Grad? Then again it depends which Snake is in.

I still think it makes more sense to have John im the game since Snake Eater was on 3DS. Or maybe that can be the 3DS stage, Groznyj Grad. Who knows?

What are your thoughts?
The more I read this thread, the more I think we're going to one Snake with other being an alt. costume. I'm that hopeful (Partly because
of you amazine people)

In terms of a stage, I'm still thinking Shadow Moses For Wii U and/or Groznyj Grad for 3DS.

Morbi

Scavenger
Nor am I. I just feel the same way about Solid Snake as you do about Big Boss, and I can't deny that Big Boss has became the new main protagonist of MGS. I'm happy that Kojima hasn't forgotten about Solid Snake, since they're implementing him as "Classic Snake" (Hah! Solid is the Original and Classic! Hah!) along with other part of the original MGS. But the main reason I want to have Solid Snake in Smash is because Solid Snake being in Smash is what introduced me to the whole MGS series, and I don't want to see that go.

The more I read this thread, the more I think we're going to one Snake with other being an alt. costume. I'm that hopeful (Partly because
of you amazine people)

In terms of a stage, I'm still thinking Shadow Moses For Wii U and/or Groznyj Grad for 3DS.
That is actually one of the main reasons that I believe Solid should maintain his role as the actual character. Big Boss might be taking over, but the original should be just that, an original.

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
That is actually one of the main reasons that I believe Solid should maintain his role as the actual character. Big Boss might be taking over, but the original should be just that, an original.
YOU SIR, JUST MADE MY DAY!

On another topic, what possible moveset changes do you think they'll make to Snake? I'm thinking a nerf in overpower & weight, while an increase in explosives power to compensate.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
That could work. Any stage ideas?
I posted the ones id like to see in the stage thread here
Not wanting to start a flame war, but why is Big Boss superior? To me (My Opinion) it seems Solid Snake had to clean up after Big Boss's (and the rest of The Patriot's) mess.
To me big boss was more his own person, and thus tried to go against the world and country he had once believed to be what he fought for. Only to have them set him and the boss up for the events that happened in MGS3. He took it upon himself with the help of kaz to break away from that and give others like himself a purpose. Although it ultimately got warped in the end as all their views of the boss' will did, and though hes a tragic character i like his outlook more and how he handled the his goals. He didnt want to be a victim of the times like he had said the boss was, he made waves, and those are present in how disfigured he is by the time 5 comes around. Solid is a very admirable character as well, considering the events surrounding his existence. But to me, he always felt rather hallow because even though he knew nothing but fighting he continued to do so on orders alone. He was a prisoner of his fate for so long, it wasnt until the end of MGS4 where he got to live his days in peace on his own terms (although i guess he attempted it before in alaska). He is great in many ways as well, but i just dont identify with him as much as i can with big boss if that makes sense.

Morbi

Scavenger
YOU SIR, JUST MADE MY DAY!

On another topic, what possible moveset changes do you think they'll make to Snake? I'm thinking a nerf in overpower & weight, while an increase in explosives power to compensate.
I don't want to sound contentious, but I believe I speak for everyone when I assert that his remote missile (side-special) needs to be altered. They don't necessarily need to go the Project M route, but some buffs might be in order. The move is actually somewhat useful in FFA or Team Battles. I just don't see the value of it in most one versus one situations.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
This thread is awesome. Although I think both are amazing characters, Hyrulehero just summarized why I love John. There's a reason why I cosplay as him hehe

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
I posted the ones id like to see in the stage thread here

To me big boss was more his own person, and thus tried to go against the world and country he had once believed to be what he fought for. Only to have them set him and the boss up for the events that happened in MGS3. He took it upon himself with the help of kaz to break away from that and give others like himself a purpose. Although it ultimately got warped in the end as all their views of the boss' will did, and though hes a tragic character i like his outlook more and how he handled the his goals. He didnt want to be a victim of the times like he had said the boss was, he made waves, and those are present in how disfigured he is by the time 5 comes around. Solid is a very admirable character as well, considering the events surrounding his existence. But to me, he always felt rather hallow because even though he knew nothing but fighting he continued to do so on orders alone. He was a prisoner of his fate for so long, it wasnt until the end of MGS4 where he got to live his days in peace on his own terms (although i guess he attempted it before in alaska). He is great in many ways as well, but i just dont identify with him as much as i can with big boss if that makes sense.
Thank you, that is the first legitimate explanation I've ever heard. Just saying, I do like Big Boss. He is one of my favorite video game characters, just not my favorite.

I don't want to sound contentious, but I believe I speak for everyone when I assert that his remote missile (side-special) needs to be altered. They don't necessarily need to go the Project M route, but some buffs might be in order. The move is actually somewhat useful in FFA or Team Battles. I just don't see the value of it in most one versus one situations.
Maybe change it to a CQC combo or a Counter move? I'm lost on this one without saying M9.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Well i did have a new idea for his side b in my Big Boss thread *shameless plug*

I should probably update that at some point

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Well i did have a new idea for his side b in my Big Boss thread *shameless plug*

I should probably update that at some point
Not to sound like a noob, but the picture you posted of Big Boss looks a lot Solid Snake. But why not use stun rod as a side B.

There's a reason why I cosplay as him hehe
You cosplay? I'd like to see. The good Naked Snake cosplay I've seen is this one.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Not to sound like a noob, but the picture you posted of Big Boss looks a lot Solid Snake. But why not use stun rod as a side B
Well solid is his clone, but i assure you that is naked snake. I would have used the stun rod for his special, but i think he needs one that can still let him keep distance from other players as well as something that can get him the smash ball while the others run towards it. If anything he can still keep his original one, but if it is naked snake i dont think the tech for the nikita existed then so im not sure if that would work. If anything a heat seeking missle (better than the one samus has) could work too.

You cosplay? I'd like to see. The good Naked Snake cosplay I've seen is this one.
I actually went as him for a halloween party myself as well, i guess both of us are no strangers to wearing snakes duds lol

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Well solid is his clone, but i assure you that is naked snake. I would have used the stun rod for his special, but i think he needs one that can still let him keep distance from other players as well as something that can get him the smash ball while the others run towards it. If anything he can still keep his original one, but if it is naked snake i dont think the tech for the nikita existed then so im not sure if that would work. If anything a heat seeking missle (better than the one samus has) could work too.

I actually went as him for a halloween party myself as well, i guess both of us are no strangers to wearing snakes duds lol
How about moving his F-smash to his side B, give it more range and allow it to charge, like pikachu's skull bash.

Unfortunately, I'm too young to cosplay Solid Snake. lol

Last edited:

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Not to sound like a noob, but the picture you posted of Big Boss looks a lot Solid Snake. But why not use stun rod as a side B.

Yeah I do, but my costume isn't as good as this guys. I have official BDUs and some official equipment.

Also, his dash attack should do exactly what it does in MGS. Knock the enemy straight up and not do MASSIVE damage.

Last edited:

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Yeah I do, but my costume isn't as good as this guys. I have official BDUs and some official equipment.

Also, his dash attack should do exactly what it does in MGS. Knock the enemy straight up and not do MASSIVE damage.
You'd have to show your cosplay.

About the dash attack, I like how you described it, but I'm okay with the MASSIVE damage part. lol

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
You'd have to show your cosplay.

About the dash attack, I like how you described it, but I'm okay with the MASSIVE damage part. lol
Ill share a picture when I get a good one.

I honestly can't wait to see Snake on that website. And lol, Snake should have never been a hard hitter. Besides the explosives, of course.

KirbyKamikazi

Smash Cadet
Ill share a picture when I get a good one.

I honestly can't wait to see Snake on that website. And lol, Snake should have never been a hard hitter. Besides the explosives, of course.
Great! Can't wait to see it!

Oh, I know Snake himself is no Ganon, I just Snake to be broken because he Solid (or Naked) ****ing Snake.

Spire

III
BRoomer
If Snake is cut, might Sakurai and co lend his moveset—with some modifications—to an applicable Nintendo character? This would be a nice way to pay homage to and continue the Snake legacy, even if the property is lost. Snake players could continue playing their favorite moveset, just mapped to a new face. If this is the case, what Nintendo character might adopt Snake's moves?

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
If Snake is cut, might Sakurai and co lend his moveset—with some modifications—to an applicable Nintendo character? This would be a nice way to pay homage to and continue the Snake legacy, even if the property is lost. Snake players could continue playing their favorite moveset, just mapped to a new face. If this is the case, what Nintendo character might adopt Snake's moves?
Easy. Andy from Advance War.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
It would be one thing if it was a character from the same series or another snake, but having it slapped onto a character with no affiliation would suck. It would downplay that newcomers unique aspects, and it would diminish snakes previous appearance in smash bros. Id rather his moveset be retired if it came to that

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
That would probably create more backlash than if Sakurai were to just cut Snake. But if they were to give it it to another character, Big Boss seems most applicable. Even then, I'd rather see Big Boss as a semi-clone of Snake (Kind of like Wolf & Fox) so Big Boss could pay homage to his own games. (Or is Snake the semi-clone of Big Boss? O_O)

Spire

III
BRoomer
That would probably create more backlash than if Sakurai were to just cut Snake. But if they were to give it it to another character, Big Boss seems most applicable. Even then, I'd rather see Big Boss as a semi-clone of Snake (Kind of like Wolf & Fox) so Big Boss could pay homage to his own games. (Or is Snake the semi-clone of Big Boss? O_O)
To an applicable Nintendo character.

Consider how the Melee clones were added because of ease. If Sakurai wanted to expand the roster last minute without permission for Snake's inclusion, appropriating his moveset to a Nintendo character could be justified. It's saying, "yeah, Andy could've had a more unique moveset, but we hadn't the time, and because of Snake's exclusion, we felt it was a fair trade-off. Take it or leave it: zero Snake artifacts in SSB4, or appropriated moveset to a Nintendo newcomer. It'd basically be like cloning Snake (ha ha), but removing the original due to licensing problems.

To use the closest in-franchise example, consider the relationship between Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. Ganondorf was created as a clone of Falcon in Melee, a quick roster addition along with the other five. The difference between these two and the other clones is that they're from different series. Let's say, for the sake of the argument, that Sakurai decided to cut Falcon, but keep Ganondorf. Ganondorf would retain the only essence of Captain Falcon, being a clone, albeit altered. People would be upset, but this is the move made. The closest anyone could get to playing Falcon would be to play Ganondorf. Now, the difference here is that Metal Gear is 3rd Party, so people would be more understanding of its absence than if F-Zero were to disappear.

Nintendo-IP Snake Clone would be SSB4's closest thing to Snake if he failed to show up. We'd at least have SOMETHING that plays like him, so he doesn't totally disappear. That was a major gripe about Mewtwo not making Brawl's cut—that his moveset was unique, and that the other cut characters were clones. Snake's moveset is unique. Sakurai wants unique. IF Snake can't return, his moveset could at least be mapped to a new identity to retain gameplay.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
To an applicable Nintendo character.

Consider how the Melee clones were added because of ease. If Sakurai wanted to expand the roster last minute without permission for Snake's inclusion, appropriating his moveset to a Nintendo character could be justified. It's saying, "yeah, Andy could've had a more unique moveset, but we hadn't the time, and because of Snake's exclusion, we felt it was a fair trade-off. Take it or leave it: zero Snake artifacts in SSB4, or appropriated moveset to a Nintendo newcomer. It'd basically be like cloning Snake (ha ha), but removing the original due to licensing problems.

To use the closest in-franchise example, consider the relationship between Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. Ganondorf was created as a clone of Falcon in Melee, a quick roster addition along with the other five. The difference between these two and the other clones is that they're from different series. Let's say, for the sake of the argument, that Sakurai decided to cut Falcon, but keep Ganondorf. Ganondorf would retain the only essence of Captain Falcon, being a clone, albeit altered. People would be upset, but this is the move made. The closest anyone could get to playing Falcon would be to play Ganondorf. Now, the difference here is that Metal Gear is 3rd Party, so people would be more understanding of its absence than if F-Zero were to disappear.

Nintendo-IP Snake Clone would be SSB4's closest thing to Snake if he failed to show up. We'd at least have SOMETHING that plays like him, so he doesn't totally disappear. That was a major gripe about Mewtwo not making Brawl's cut—that his moveset was unique, and that the other cut characters were clones. Snake's moveset is unique. Sakurai wants unique. IF Snake can't return, his moveset could at least be mapped to a new identity to retain gameplay.
I knew it applied to Nintendo only, I was saying in my earlier post that there would be so much backlash from the community that Snake appeals to would rather have Snake fully retire than copy paste his moveset. The same thing would happen if in your aforementioned Captain Falcon scenario, and even then people are still pushing to Luigify Ganondorf. The bashlack would be extremely severe if they were to cut CF and keep Ganon as a clone, perhaps even more severe if they were to the same thing the Snake. It would show that Sakurai doen't care about his own series or appealing to the fanbase anymore. The only way Sakurai could copy paste Snake's moveset without receiving community backlash is if he put it on another MGS character, preferably Big Boss. (I'd rather have Solid Snake over Big Boss) Even so, Big Boss supporters want Big Boss to be at worst, a semi-clone of Snake. Besides, it's not like Sakurai to half*** something. However I do like the pun about cloning Snake. That was a "Solid" pun! lol.
I have a feeling he will make a return.
We all know that deep in our hearts, Snake will return.

Last edited:
Top Bottom