• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
So are we just ignoring the fact that 3 of us are going to commit cannabalism over a video game character?

Because I'm cool with that, just wanted to make sure.

MAGRWolfX

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3100-1586
Snake means alot to the Smash series it would be a shame for him not returning. Besides...when Sakurai said that not all characters will be returning..he might have meant the SSBM clones (Dr. Mario,Young Link and Pichu...maybe Roy).
I think I remember him saying "characters from previous GAMES might not return", not just Brawl. So you might be right.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wonder if he'll be the only one to not show up in Smash that was in Brawl..

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I wonder which design he'll have. I like his suit from MGS1 the most. Though I wouldn't mind seeing him in his Sons Of Liberty suit again.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The Snake from Ground Zeroes is Naked Snake..not Solid Snake unless you are talking about Classic Snake.
Yet, it still works to change costume, since in a way they are the same person with the same name. Even if they are two different people, they are the same at the same time. Plus, with Solid only being referenced as Snake in Brawl, it could still work.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Yeah the change would be easy for them to do, a visual change with the potential of that era's explosives could bring some good stuff. Plus all the new codec convos he could have with naked snakes comrades. Thus why i made the naked snake thread a while back (i should update it at some point)

D

Deleted member

Yes and no; cloning is a bit of a gray area.
On one hand, the clone is a copy of the original.
On the other, said clone has individual thoughts, feelings, identity, etc.

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
That's the thing, only Solidus is a 100% carbon copy of Big Boss. Solid Snake and Liquid Snake are not.

Even still, Solidus is his own person, different mind, different soul.

None of them are the same person.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I don't see Snake getting cut. Sakurai wants him. Smash fans want him. MGS fans want him. He was a unique character. His series was heavily represented in Brawl. He even had a game on a Nintendo system in between Brawl and Smash 4. Where's the logic in getting rid of him?

Also, don't you think it's kinda sketchy that he didn't show up in PS All-Stars but Raiden did? Maybe Snake is Nintendo's Metal Gear character and Sony had to settle for Raiden.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I don't see Snake getting cut. Sakurai wants him. Smash fans want him. MGS fans want him. He was a unique character. His series was heavily represented in Brawl. He even had a game on a Nintendo system in between Brawl and Smash 4. Where's the logic in getting rid of him?

Also, don't you think it's kinda sketchy that he didn't show up in PS All-Stars but Raiden did? Maybe Snake is Nintendo's Metal Gear character and Sony had to settle for Raiden.

I agree 100%

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Snake will not be cut for many reasons. Here are refutes to common arguements

1. He is not important to Nintendo
At the time of Snake's announcement for Brawl, Metal Gear only had a few more obscure NES games and a Gamecube remake of Metal Gear Solid. MGS4 being on the PS3 did not stop Snake from being in Brawl, why would MGS5? He even has got a new game in the MGS3 remake on the 3DS, so at worst his position has changed for the better. It just does not make sense to cut him based on supposed relevancy.

2. He's not Nintendoish/ He Does Not Fit/ Hes from a Mature Game

*sigh*

It. Did. Not. Stop. Him. In. Brawl.

3. He will be cut for Pac Man

There is no factual evidence. Who even knows if Namco will get a character. (That character would obviously be Pac Man, but Snake will take priority, he was used as the first third party for Brawl)

4. Kojima might not want him

Ok, when has Kojima ever gone out and said that he hated Snake in Brawl? He was one of the most well received newcomers.

D

Deleted member

Whether he will or he won't be cut cannot be claimed either way.
Anything is possible.

However, it is safe to say odds are in Snake's favor. Not a guarantee, but he's likely not going anywhere.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
God help me if we actually get Pac-Man over Snake.

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
Snake will not be cut for many reasons. Here are refutes to common arguements

1. He is not important to Nintendo
At the time of Snake's announcement for Brawl, Metal Gear only had a few more obscure NES games and a Gamecube remake of Metal Gear Solid. MGS4 being on the PS3 did not stop Snake from being in Brawl, why would MGS5? He even has got a new game in the MGS3 remake on the 3DS, so at worst his position has changed for the better. It just does not make sense to cut him based on supposed relevancy.

2. He's not Nintendoish/ He Does Not Fit/ Hes from a Mature Game

*sigh*

It. Did. Not. Stop. Him. In. Brawl.

3. He will be cut for Pac Man

There is no factual evidence. Who even knows if Namco will get a character. (That character would obviously be Pac Man, but Snake will take priority, he was used as the first third party for Brawl)

4. Kojima might not want him

Ok, when has Kojima ever gone out and said that he hated Snake in Brawl? He was one of the most well received newcomers.
Let's expand your points:

1. People act like Metroid and Mother (Earthbound) is all about Sunshines and Rainbows when those games are clearly not.
Let's name Snake's appearances on Nintendo platforms:
Nintendo Entertainment System:
Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Game Boy Color:
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Game Boy Advance:
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
GameCube:
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (a remake of Metal Gear Solid developed by Silicon Knights)
Metal Gear (Famicom version included in a special bundle of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes in Japan)
DreamMix TV World Fighters (internal crossover featuring Solid Snake as a playable character)
Wii:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metal Gear (MSX2 version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2 version)
3DS:
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
New International Track & Field
Super Smash Bros for 3DS (presumably)
Wii U:
(rumored via Miiverse debug leak) "Metal Gear Solid" V: The Phantom Pain
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
(presumably)
(Yeah Snake is totally inactive on Nintendo platforms, it's so sad. :crying: )
Metal Gear Solid V could potentially come to the Wii U where I believe the announcement is held off to presumably keep Snake's return as a surprise.

Megaman has more “history with Nintendo” than Sonic so why wasn’t Megaman included in Brawl? It’s because Sonic was far and away the most popular requested character which shows you how strong of a driving force “history with Nintendo” really is. There has never been any indication that Sakurai chose him for any Nintendo console loyalty or history related reason and saying there is it’s an extrapolation from nothing. Is the criteria about history or is it about current titles? Why does Metal Gear Solid V being on the Wii U make Snake more deserving of a spot? Does a new game retroactively give historical significance? Because if this is about new games being on Nintendo platforms, why is fellow Third-Party Mega Man on there? (In case it’s not clear, these are rhetorical questions meant to highlight that the criteria for what is and doesn’t deserve is inconsistent). Snake even has more Metal Gear games and made more Non-Metal Gear appearances on Nintendo platforms than Ice Climbers, Mother (Earthbound) and Kid Icarus. Was Kid Icarus relevant in Nintendo consoles on the Wii? Hell, is Megaman relevant at all right now? The only game Megaman has right now is Super Smash Bros. for Wii /3DS. The Super Smash Bros. series is not about relevance, it’s about icons. Megaman is an icon, people want to see Mega man vs. Mario. Snake is an icon. He’s a character that people want to see him battle against other characters such as Mario, Sonic, Kirby, Mr. Game & Watch and so on. Examples: Ice Climbers are the icon of the 8 bit Era while Mr. Game & Watch is the icon of the Game & Watch Era. Third-Parties are able to promote the game, broaden the appeal, and increase hype where Nintendo’s own characters are unable to do. As for "How could Nintendo or Kojima could advertise Snake being in Smash Bros. 4 when his game is not on a Nintendo system on twitter?"
No eyebrows were raised when the PlayStation 3's killer app Sony exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots was promoted in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You know what else Nintendo did? During the holidays, Nintendo suddenly made an appearance on a random Southwest Airlines flight and gave everyone onboard a free Wii U. In case you were skeptical that Nintendo cares more than just making money.

2. "Nintendoish" what does that even mean? There are many different characters with various degrees of appearances art style personality and so what if the Metal Gear games (with a few exceptions) is M-Rated? Nintendo is no stranger with M-Rated games such as releasing First-Party games Eternal Darkness and Geist.

3. Third-Parties are able to promote the game, broaden the appeal, and increase hype where Nintendo’s own characters are unable to do so Sakuari needs all of the promotion of the game Third-Parties could offer.

4. What drove Kojima to "practically beg" Sakurai to get Snake in the game? "My child likes Super Smash Bros., so we play it a lot together. And he told me that there's no character that you made in that game," Hideo Kojima told a group of interviewers late last week ahead of the Smithsonian's "The Art of Videogames" exhibit. Aside from his son's pleading, Kojima pointed to Metal Gear's low profile on Nintendo consoles as a second reason.
"As you know, we did make Twin Snakes, but generally speaking, there hasn't been a lot of Metal Gear on Nintendo platforms. So from that perspective, I thought it was a good way to expose younger people to this character, Snake," he said. Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/19/thank-kojimas-son-for-getting-snake-into-smash-bros-brawl/
What else? Sakurai said the Third-Party characters needs to be "legendary" as a requirement for their inclusion to the series and being too much of a "PlayStation icon" is exactly one of the reasons why Snake is in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and should push him to make more appearances on Nintendo Consoles to show he is NOT a first-party character who is EXCLUSIVE to PlayStation for he needs to show he is a Konami and gaming icon to the world.

Snake is an iconic character and his presence in the game is arguably more of a benefit to Nintendo than Konami. It’s sad that people want to throw out a popular character for reasons like this. People who like Snake will buy Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS just to play as him, where people who are not familiar with Snake will look his games up. I don’t see why Snake should be excluded simply because a Metal Gear game has yet to be announced that it will be released on the Wii U after all you might as well exclude fellow Third-Party Mega Man, Nintendo’s own characters such as Captain Falcon, Samus, Pit, Pokémon characters etc. Let me repeat again that Metal Gear also has more games on Nintendo platforms than Nintendo’s own Mother (Earthbound) series and has a stronger presence than Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus, Sakuari already made the call that Snake is special enough to be included to the series, the only variable we have to worry about whether Hideo Kojima wants Snake in Super Smash Bros for Wii U /3DS as far as I’m concerned.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Let's expand your points:

1. People act like Metroid and Mother (Earthbound) is all about Sunshines and Rainbows when those games are clearly not.
Let's name Snake's appearances on Nintendo platforms:
Nintendo Entertainment System:
Metal Gear
Snake's Revenge
Game Boy Color:
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Game Boy Advance:
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
GameCube:
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (a remake of Metal Gear Solid developed by Silicon Knights)
Metal Gear (Famicom version included in a special bundle of Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes in Japan)
DreamMix TV World Fighters (internal crossover featuring Solid Snake as a playable character)
Wii:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metal Gear (MSX2 version)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2 version)
3DS:
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
New International Track & Field
Super Smash Bros for 3DS (presumably)
Wii U:
(rumored via Miiverse debug leak) "Metal Gear Solid" V: The Phantom Pain
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
(presumably)
(Yeah Snake is totally inactive on Nintendo platforms, it's so sad. :crying: )
Metal Gear Solid V could potentially come to the Wii U where I believe the announcement is held off to presumably keep Snake's return as a surprise.

Megaman has more “history with Nintendo” than Sonic so why wasn’t Megaman included in Brawl? It’s because Sonic was far and away the most popular requested character which shows you how strong of a driving force “history with Nintendo” really is. There has never been any indication that Sakurai chose him for any Nintendo console loyalty or history related reason and saying there is it’s an extrapolation from nothing. Is the criteria about history or is it about current titles? Why does Metal Gear Solid V being on the make Snake more deserving of a spot? Does a new game retroactively give historical significance? Because if this is about new games being on Nintendo platforms, why is fellow Third-Party Mega Man on there? (In case it’s not clear, these are rhetorical questions meant to highlight that the criteria for what is and doesn’t deserve is inconsistent). Snake even has more Metal Gear games and made more Non-Metal Gear appearances on Nintendo platforms than Ice Climbers, Mother (Earthbound) and Kid Icarus. Was Kid Icarus relevant in Nintendo consoles on the Wii? Hell, is Megaman relevant at all right now? The only game Megaman has right now is Super Smash Bros. for Wii /3DS. The Super Smash Bros. series is not about relevance, it’s about icons. Megaman is an icon, people want to see Mega man vs. Mario. Snake is an icon. He’s a character that people want to see him battle against other characters such as Mario, Sonic, Kirby, a Mr. Game & Watch and so on. Examples: Ice Climbers are the icon of the 8 bit Era while Mr. Game & Watch is the icon of the Game & Watch Era. Third-Parties are able to promote the game, broaden the appeal, and increase hype where Nintendo’s own characters are unable to do. As for "How could Nintendo or Kojima could advertise Snake being in Smash Bros. 4 when his game is not on a Nintendo system on twitter?"
No eyebrows were raised when the PlayStation 3's killer app Sony exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots was promoted in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You know what else Nintendo did? During the holidays, Nintendo suddenly made an appearance on a random Southwest Airlines flight and gave everyone onboard a free Wii U. In case you were skeptical that Nintendo cares more than just making money.

2. "Nintendoish" what does that even mean? There are many different characters with various degrees of appearances art style personality and so what if the Metal Gear games (with a few exceptions) is M-Rated? Nintendo is no stranger with M-Rated games such as releasing First-Party games Eternal Darkness and Geist.

3. Third-Parties are able to promote the game, broaden the appeal, and increase hype where Nintendo’s own characters are unable to do so Sakuari needs all of the promotion of the game Third-Parties could offer.

4. What drove Kojima to "practically beg" Sakurai to get Snake in the game? "My child likes Super Smash Bros., so we play it a lot together. And he told me that there's no character that you made in that game," Hideo Kojima told a group of interviewers late last week ahead of the Smithsonian's "The Art of Videogames" exhibit. Aside from his son's pleading, Kojima pointed to Metal Gear's low profile on Nintendo consoles as a second reason.
"As you know, we did make Twin Snakes, but generally speaking, there hasn't been a lot of Metal Gear on Nintendo platforms. So from that perspective, I thought it was a good way to expose younger people to this character, Snake," he said. What else? Sakurai said the Third-Party characters needs to be "legendary" and being too much of a "PlayStation icon" is exactly one of the reasons why Snake is in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and should push him to make more appearances on Nintendo Consoles to show he is NOT a first-party character who is EXCLUSIVE to PlayStation for he needs to show he is a Konami and gaming icon to the world.
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/19/thank-kojimas-son-for-getting-snake-into-smash-bros-brawl/

Snake is an iconic character and his presence in the game is arguably more of a benefit to Nintendo than Konami. It’s sad that people want to throw out a popular character for reasons like this. People who like Snake will buy Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS just to play as him, where people who are not familiar with Snake will look his games up. I don’t see why Snake should be excluded simply because a Metal Game has yet to be announced that it will be released on the Wii U after all you might as well exclude fellow Third-Party Mega Man, Nintendo’s own characters such as Captain Falcon, Samus, Pit, Pokémon characters etc. Metal Gear also has more games on Nintendo platforms than Nintendo’s own Mother (Earthbound) series and has a stronger presence than Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus, Sakuari already made the call that Snake is special enough to be included to the series, the only variable we have to worry about whether Hideo Kojima wants Snake in Super Smash Bros for Wii U /3DS as far as I’m concerned.

Wow, able to make my arguments better. This man is goin places.

(Also should be on front page imo)

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Snake always did feel more like a PlayStation guy and would likely feel more at home on PlayStation All-Stars. I liked having him around in Brawl, and maybe him being in a 3DS game justifies him being in again. That said, he still felt out of place for being mostly a PlayStation guy, and I personally hope he's got replaced with another 3rd party character. If they really wanted to, they could simply give his moveset to someone else anyway. I could see it working somewhat on a character like Andy from the Advance Wars series. IF Snake gets back in, I hope he won't have any of those annoying disjointed hitboxes that shouldn't have been there again though.

The only reason Sonic was included was because he already met up with Mario in the Olympic games, and was one of the most requested characters because of his (past) rivalry with Mario. Why Mega Man didn't get in Brawl? Nintendo forgot to ask Capcom. He would be much more justified to be in Smash than Snake though. Aside from that, both Mega Man and Sonic have been appearing on Nintendo platforms very regularly over the past years (though Mega Man is debatable, but he hasn't been getting any games at all recently on any platform outside of VC games), whereas Snake only appeared in remakes, VC releases and cameo/guest appearances regarding Nintendo platforms. He's still mostly appeared on the PlayStation platform, and I think putting Snake in again would be more like advertising the PlayStation, which wouldn't do much for Nintendo.

Regardless, should Snake get back in, I'll still enjoy playing as him, even if he does feel out of place.

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Snake always did feel more like a PlayStation guy and would likely feel more at home on PlayStation All-Stars. I liked having him around in Brawl, and maybe him being in a 3DS game justifies him being in again. That said, he still felt out of place for being mostly a PlayStation guy, and I personally hope he's got replaced with another 3rd party character. If they really wanted to, they could simply give his moveset to someone else anyway. I could see it working somewhat on a character like Andy from the Advance Wars series. IF Snake gets back in, I hope he won't have any of those annoying disjointed hitboxes that shouldn't have been there again though.

The only reason Sonic was included was because he already met up with Mario in the Olympic games, and was one of the most requested characters because of his (past) rivalry with Mario. Why Mega Man didn't get in Brawl? Nintendo forgot to ask Capcom. He would be much more justified to be in Smash than Snake though. Aside from that, both Mega Man and Sonic have been appearing on Nintendo platforms very regularly over the past years (though Mega Man is debatable, but he hasn't been getting any games at all recently on any platform outside of VC games), whereas Snake only appeared in remakes, VC releases and cameo/guest appearances regarding Nintendo platforms. He's still mostly appeared on the PlayStation platform, and I think putting Snake in again would be more like advertising the PlayStation, which wouldn't do much for Nintendo.

Regardless, should Snake get back in, I'll still enjoy playing as him, even if he does feel out of place.
idk

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I like how when people bring up that Snake is "mostly a Sony guy" they conveniently forget to mention the other half of his games that are on Nintendo consoles.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Well, I dunno about everyone else, but I take that into consideration, but I just don't think that's hardly relevant at this point. Tell me, old game ports, VC releases and guest appearances aside, what has Snake done for Nintendo the last couple of years? He's appeared very promonently on Sony platforms. The only notable thing Snake has on Nintendo platforms recently, aside from appearing in Brawl, is MGS: Snake Eater 3D. Put that next to MGS4, MGS Online, MGS Peace Walker, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Special Ops, Metal Gear Rising, and the as-of-yet unannounced-for-Nintendo-platforms Metal Gear Solid 5, and you'll see why Snake is more a Sony guy now. The fact that he's had more Nintendo appearances in the past doesn't matter anymore at that point, or you might as well put Banjo & Kazooie in, because they've found their origin on Nintendo platforms, despite being with Microsoft now.

If MGS5 comes to the Wii U (or 3DS, but really, how likely is that?), then I'll gladly change my opinion and I'll be more than happy to welcome Snake back into Smash, but as things are now, Snake really barely has any reason to return in SSB4. I was puzzled as to why Snake even was in Brawl at that, as he seemed to advertise MGS4 more than anything.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The only notable thing Snake has on Nintendo platforms recently, aside from appearing in Brawl, is MGS: Snake Eater 3D. Put that next to MGS4, MGS Online, MGS Peace Walker, MGS Portable Ops, MGS Special Ops, Metal Gear Rising, and the as-of-yet unannounced-for-Nintendo-platforms Metal Gear Solid 5, and you'll see why Snake is more a Sony guy now. The fact that he's had more Nintendo appearances in the past doesn't matter anymore at that point, or you might as well put Banjo & Kazooie in, because they've found their origin on Nintendo platforms, despite being with Microsoft now.

If MGS5 comes to the Wii U (or 3DS, but really, how likely is that?), then I'll gladly change my opinion and I'll be more than happy to welcome Snake back into Smash, but as things are now, Snake really barely has any reason to return in SSB4. I was puzzled as to why Snake even was in Brawl at that, as he seemed to advertise MGS4 more than anything.
Mega Man hasn't even had a proper game in years, should we forget about him too? And Banjo is a bit of a low blow, he's owned by M$ now, which is a directly competing company. You can't have a Sony or M$ character in Smash Bros, Snake is owned by Konami, not Sony, meaning he can appear on any system Kojima very well wants him to.

The reason Snake was in Brawl in the first place is because Sakurai and Kojima are good friends, and unless they had a falling out, there's absolutely no reason for Snake to leave any time soon, regardless of if he's "more Sony".

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Mega Man hasn't even had a proper game in years, should we forget about him too? And Banjo is a bit of a low blow, he's owned by M$ now, which is a directly competing company. You can't have a Sony or M$ character in Smash Bros, Snake is owned by Konami, not Sony, meaning he can appear on any system Kojima very well wants him to.

The reason Snake was in Brawl in the first place is because Sakurai and Kojima are good friends, and unless they had a falling out, there's absolutely no reason for Snake to leave any time soon, regardless of if he's "more Sony".
Mega Man hasn't had a game at all over the years, true, but that also means he hasn't appeared on competing systems either. Most of his more recent games appeared on Nintendo platforms too, and you can't exactly say that about Snake, aside from Snake Eater 3D, which, again, doesn't compare to the amount of Metal Gear games that appeared on Sony's systems.
As for the Banjo stuff, I know it's not exactly the same, but it does feel similar. Like, Banjo and Snake both had appearances on Nintendo platforms, but both haven't (properly) appeared on Nintendo systems for a good while now, and placing either of them in Smash Bros kind of promotes the other systems more because their games don't, or barely, appear on Nintendo systems anymore.

I'm very well aware that Snake got in Brawl because Sakurai and Kojima are good friends, but Sakurai does not own Nintendo, now does he? He's the lead developer of Super Smash Bros, sure, but that doesn't mean he can go around placing every character he likes into the game if the higher-ups at Nintendo don't approve of it. And I don't think they want to promote other systems by putting Snake in again, unless they want to promote Snake Eater 3D, or MGS5 has to appear on the Wii U.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'm very well aware that Snake got in Brawl because Sakurai and Kojima are good friends, but Sakurai does not own Nintendo, now does he? He's the lead developer of Super Smash Bros, sure, but that doesn't mean he can go around placing every character he likes into the game if the higher-ups at Nintendo don't approve of it. And I don't think they want to promote other systems by putting Snake in again, unless they want to promote Snake Eater 3D, or MGS5 has to appear on the Wii U.
If the higher-ups had a problem with it, they wouldn't have allowed it to happen in the first place. Owning Nintendo =/= directing Smash Bros anyway, he can do pretty much whatever he wants with the game unless it breaks any rules, and obviously Snake never broke any rules. And Sakurai sure doesn't go around placing just anyone he wants in Smash, we had to wait until the third game just to get two more of his own characters. If anything, Sakurai keeping Snake in for Kojima gives him more incentive to bring MGS over to the Wii U. It's not like Kojima just doesn't want the games on it, he said he would want to make a game that makes full use of the gamepad's features, we may even get a full port of MGSV with added gamepad functionality, we can't say for sure if we will or not.

If anything, saying that Snake should get cut because Konami isn't making any MGS games for the Wii U is just a lazy excuse. Most third parties aren't porting/making games for it because they don't feel it's safe to invest in it just yet, they're waiting for the thing to sell more so their games on it will sell too. It's not like Nintendo and Konami aren't in good relations, Snake has no reason to leave.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
If the higher-ups had a problem with it, they wouldn't have allowed it to happen in the first place. Owning Nintendo =/= directing Smash Bros anyway, he can do pretty much whatever he wants with the game unless it breaks any rules, and obviously Snake never broke any rules. And Sakurai sure doesn't go around placing just anyone he wants in Smash, we had to wait until the third game just to get two more of his own characters. If anything, Sakurai keeping Snake in for Kojima gives him more incentive to bring MGS over to the Wii U. It's not like Kojima just doesn't want the games on it, he said he would want to make a game that makes full use of the gamepad's features, we may even get a full port of MGSV with added gamepad functionality, we can't say for sure if we will or not.

If anything, saying that Snake should get cut because Konami isn't making any MGS games for the Wii U is just a lazy excuse. Most third parties aren't porting/making games for it because they don't feel it's safe to invest in it just yet, they're waiting for the thing to sell more so their games on it will sell too. It's not like Nintendo and Konami aren't in good relations, Snake has no reason to leave.
I never said Snake broke any rules. Of course he didn't, he did appear on Nintendo consoles in the past, and that does make him a possible candidate for the SSB games. What I'm saying is that as things are at this moment, it doesn't make sense for Snake to return, because of how much he appears on competing consoles. That same thing applied during Brawl's development too, which is why I'm astounded as to why he got in there in the first place. And if bringing Snake to an SSB game gives them more incentive to bring a MGS game to Wii U, why didn't they bring MGS4 to the Wii then? Or any other MGS game, for that matter? Probably the same reasons as to why the Wii U will not receive any MGS games.

You can say how it's a lazy excuse to say that Snake should be cut because they're not making any MGS games for Wii U, but it's still the truth. Nintendo has to promote games on THEIR system, not the competing systems. It kind of seems like saying, ''Hey, look at all the great characters you can play as on our systems! Oh, but here's one from our competitors too! Cool huh?'' It just doesn't make much sense at this point to include Snake, unless they indeed plan on bringing MGS5 to the Wii U. And 'most third parties' don't matter in this discussion anyway. It's Konami's decision on whether or not MGS5 comes to Wii U, and whether or not the Wii U sells poorly or superb, in the end it still either appears on the system, or it doesn't, and so long as Metal Gear Solid appears in no way, shape or form on the Wii U, or get a new game on 3DS, Snake really doesn't make sense in Smash Bros 4, as he'd just promote Metal Gear Solid 5, which will not be on Nintendo's systems, as it stands now.

Top Bottom