• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Sounds to me like you lost and you're salty about it! XD

Just remember, you brought it up. Don't be surprised that people expect you to finish it.
Ha, pretty much. But I'm happy people are still willing to come and debate about Snake here. Shows the forum is alive and healthy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ha, pretty much. But I'm happy people are still willing to come and debate about Snake here. Shows the forum is alive and healthy.
I'm against people just straight up saying...

HE WON'T BE IN!!!

Though. Talking in absolutes is silly at this point.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'm against people just straight up saying...

HE WON'T BE IN!!!

Though. Talking in absolutes is silly at this point.
You just what was on everyone minds. More importantly...

WE'VE REACHED 10 PAGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We now need a name to call MGS fans.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Considering the most likely way Big Boss is in SSB4 is through an Alternate Costume, but I could see Tapes being a collectible like CD's. Or maybe as playing with the Big Boss Alt, you get different codecs.
You never know, kojima said himself he likes naked snake more and he will have a say in what they put forth for this game. Hed still be snake regardless, just a different one like the different links weve had, i wouldnt expect two sets of codecs if he were an alt costume anyway. I think its the best way to bring something new with him.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
You never know, kojima said himself he likes naked snake more and he will have a say in what they put forth for this game. Hed still be snake regardless, just a different one like the different links weve had, i wouldnt expect two sets of codecs if he were an alt costume anyway. I think its the best way to bring something new with him.
I'm a little confused when you say "bring something new" like are you talking about a new character or what? In terms of Big Boss, I see him as either a Alternate Costume or a DLC. I would prefer to see Big Boss as a DLC, as Big Boss could be a Semi-Clone of Snake (Snakeception), making him easy to design and develop. However, releasing DLC packs could prevent the metagame from properly stabilizing.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I'm a little confused when you say "bring something new" like are you talking about a new character or what? In terms of Big Boss, I see him as either a Alternate Costume or a DLC. I would prefer to see Big Boss as a DLC, as Big Boss could be a Semi-Clone of Snake (Snakeception), making him easy to design and develop. However, releasing DLC packs could prevent the metagame from properly stabilizing.
I mean he'd be the same snake just the naked snake version as his default, and by bring something new I mean with this snake instead of solid he could have weapons from his era, new codecs, and most of all a visual overhaul. I in no way mean for there to be more than one snake, so since solid snake as hit a brick wall as far as changes that could come to his character, Id rather him get some change if given the choice over solid snake from mgs2 like we had before. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that. Either way having any snake is better than nothing, I'm just saying that the BB version has more potential since he wouldn't be forced to retain everything solid snake had and could add something even if slightly different.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I mean he'd be the same snake just the naked snake version as his default, and by bring something new I mean with this snake instead of solid he could have weapons from his era, new codecs, and most of all a visual overhaul. I in no way mean for there to be more than one snake, so since solid snake as hit a brick wall as far as changes that could come to his character, Id rather him get some change if given the choice over solid snake from mgs2 like we had before. I don't know how to make it any clearer than that. Either way having any snake is better than nothing, I'm just saying that the BB version has more potential since he wouldn't be forced to retain everything solid snake had and could add something even if slightly different.
So Naked Snake with a Solid Snake Alternate? I guess I could see that, but I'd still prefer DLC.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
So Naked Snake with a Solid Snake Alternate? I guess I could see that, but I'd still prefer DLC.
or no solid at all, but thats really my preference since he would still be "snake" as naked snake anyway. I dont have hope for DLC or at least any of that caliber

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
or no solid at all, but thats really my preference since he would still be "snake" as naked snake anyway. I dont have hope for DLC or at least any of that caliber
True, the DLC are rather a long shot. It could happen, but it's Nintendo. But which Snake do you think is more likely, Solid or Naked?

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
True, the DLC are rather a long shot. It could happen, but it's Nintendo. But which Snake do you think is more likely, Solid or Naked?
I'm thinking Solid because he was already in before, but Naked wouldn't be a surprise considering he was the one in MGS 3D right?

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I'm thinking Solid because he was already in before, but Naked wouldn't be a surprise considering he was the one in MGS 3D right?
Solid is defiantly more Smash friendly than Naked, but either one could appear. If I had to put a number on it, I'd 70-30 (70 out of 100) in Solid's favor.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Adding to this, the code names still refer to the (genetically) same person. Nobody but Big Boss and the clone trio go by Snake in the series.

Also worth noting that in addition to his design being an amalgamation of Naked (color of the bandanna and beard, along with alts and tons of references) and Solid Snake (specific camo/design), they simply refer to him as Snake in Brawl, not Solid (save for trophy/sticker descriptions). Even then, that Snake also went by different codenames. Old Snake was never in any used in any Nintendo MGS games, so I'd think they would either stick with Solid (both because he had the most Nintendo games and is probably more familiarized by Brawl) or Naked (to promote both MGS 3D on Nintendo's end, and Phantom Pain on Kojima's end).

At the very least I would love to see a Punished Snake alt. And I also don't think DLC to that extent is happening.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Adding to this, the code names still refer to the (genetically) same person. Nobody but Big Boss and the clone trio go by Snake in the series.

Also worth noting that in addition to his design being an amalgamation of Naked (color of the bandanna and beard, along with alts and tons of references) and Solid Snake (specific camo/design), they simply refer to him as Snake in Brawl, not Solid (save for trophy/sticker descriptions). Even then, that Snake also went by different codenames. Old Snake was never in any used in any Nintendo MGS games, so I'd think they would either stick with Solid (both because he had the most Nintendo games and is probably more familiarized by Brawl) or Naked (to promote both MGS 3D on Nintendo's end, and Phantom Pain on Kojima's end).

At the very least I would love to see a Punished Snake alt. And I also don't think DLC to that extent is happening.
Yeah, as Much as I would love to see DLC, I don't think it would be a good idea. It costs Nintendo time, effort and money to make them, meaning that people will probably have o pay for DLC. So some people won't by DLC, making it harder to run tournament due to having no consistent set of characters to play by. The biggest problem we would have with DLC is that if Nintendo starts producing DLC, the metagame will never fully develop and stabilize because of the constant introduction of new characters and (possibly) stages.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Seeing as they say they have retired the Colonel Campbell character due to the Japanese VA's death, I think there's quite a large chance that Snake's codecs won't return or if they do, the character will be Naked Snake.

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Seeing as they say they have retired the Colonel Campbell character due to the Japanese VA's death, I think there's quite a large chance that Snake's codecs won't return or if they do, the character will be Naked Snake.
What about MGS2 Codecs or replace Campbell with Meyrl, Kaz or Big Boss!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
D

Deleted member

Solution: Keep the old codecs that have Campbell (except any that mention Brawl directly like Jigglypuff's), and don't add any new ones with him.
Problem solved.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Plus, they could incorporate MGS1 codec characters that they didn't use in Brawl, like Meryl or Naomi Hunter.

Last edited:

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Hello there, I'm new. (well, first post at least.)

I get the feeling they'd just replace Campbell entirely with someone else, like Meryl or Raiden (from MGS2 not 4, never 4).
They haven't even used Young Campbell since his original appearance (Portable Ops) might just be game history though.

Snakes appearance, I think they'd leave the same, his MGS2 incarnation seems to be one of the most popular and his Brawl artwork is used so much, even still today.
I'm pretty sure Konami used it recently for their biography for Metal Gear Characters to promote soon to be released Ground Zeroes.

And as far as I'm concerned, I'm confident Snake will return and this month could be a potential reveal for him since March 20th is the current release date for Ground Zeroes.
It seems to me that as for Sakurai and Kojima, they'd be ok with Snake returning considering their past history.
I'd speculate that the real issue would be legal stuff licensing, but even still, was that an issue in Brawl?
And why would it be an issue any way?
"Argh! I can't find a stapler to staple these important documents together to finalize Snakes inclusion in Smash Bros 4! DEAL IS OFF!"

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I saw this picture and almost had a heart attack.

I just want snake to be announced soon so i can stop worrying T.T
(source is IMDB, and it actually only has him listed as a rumor when not viewing from mobile)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
IMDB's like Wikipedia - anyone can edit it. Still, I'd really like to see him announced soon. Ideally, there'd be a Nintendo Direct on March 18th or 19th (whichever day the Year of Luigi ends), and Snake would be announced through that to take advantage of the hype surrounding the release of MGS5: Ground Zeroes (even if they couldn't advertise it).

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I naive and am hoping that David Hayter is still the voice of Solid Snake or at least Smash Bros Snake.

I really don't think we'd get a Falcon Punch out of Sutherland... it doesn't seem to be his character...
"Hey Snake, lets do that thing... FAAALL-"
"DAMN IT OTACON I DONT HAVE TIME!!!"

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I naive and am hoping that David Hayter is still the voice of Solid Snake or at least Smash Bros Snake.

I really don't think we'd get a Falcon Punch out of Sutherland... it doesn't seem to be his character...
"Hey Snake, lets do that thing... FAAALL-"
"DAMN IT OTACON I DONT HAVE TIME!!!"
Well, Kojima wants Sutherland to voice Big Boss, not Solid Snake.
Plus, they could incorporate MGS1 codec characters that they didn't use in Brawl, like Meryl or Naomi Hunter.
That would be possible, and as AncientArk said before, maybe even Raiden.

How likely is it that Snake gets revealed on March 18-20?

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
How likely is it that Snake gets revealed on March 18-20?
I'd expect he'd be revealed through screenshots or a video on the day of Ground Zeroes release or at the end of the working week.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I'd expect he'd be revealed through screenshots or a video on the day of Ground Zeroes release or at the end of the working week.
If he's not revealed next week then i expect to see him at e3, or to not be revealed until release.
Please be next week :(

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
If he's not revealed next week then i expect to see him at e3, or to not be revealed until release.
Please be next week :(
Me too. If he was revealed on March 19th, that would be the Best. Birthday. Gift. Ever.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
No, Kojima ceaselessly begged Sakurai like a poor man living in the streets to put Snake in the game, and if you take a look back into the past, the first Smash was rated E, and Melee being just as violent as the second smash was only rated T because graphics made the violence look realistic, I started smashing when I was SIX, because my parents have seen my cousins play Melee before they let me play with them, it would be a different story if that were Brawl. I'm not biased, I don't hate Snake, I just think rated m characters in smash is a big mistake for a rated T game, and I'm also backed up by two highly experienced video game talk show spokespeople.
Hahaha, I'm sorry but this is funny. When it comes to in depth Smash, you are better of listening to the opinions and logic of people here rather than "highly experienced" video game talk show people, hahaha. I wouldn't throw that around as some sort of argument backing ever again.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Hahaha, I'm sorry but this is funny. When it comes to in depth Smash, you are better of listening to the opinions and logic of people here rather than "highly experienced" video game talk show people, hahaha. I wouldn't throw that around as some sort of argument backing ever again.
True, but I (and some other people) already handed his *** to him a pages ago.

Last edited:

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
From what I've gathered, these are the reveal dates for Snake that would make the most sense(to me at least):

March 18-20 2014: Ground Zeroes' release dates.

May 2014: This is when E3 2006 took place; the time when Snake was first revealed.

E3 2014: Snake was first revealed at E3. This would be a great time for hype too.

MGS5's release date(s): Self explanatory.

On an unrelated note, I want Old Snake the most out of all the Snakes.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
From what I've gathered, these are the reveal dates for Snake that would make the most sense(to me at least):

May 2014: This is when E3 2006 took place; the time when Snake was first revealed.

E3 2014: Snake was first revealed at E3. This would be a great time for hype too.

Really? Old Snake? Not a lot of people like him (Compared to the other Snakes). Good collection of dates though.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
Really? Old Snake? Not a lot of people like him (Compared to the other Snakes). Good collection of dates though.
(Edit: I mistook "dates" for "dares" in your post)

I don't really expect Old Snake, I just love his design (I love the cool, old guy archetype):

Last edited:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
(Edit: I mistook "dates" for "dares" in your post)

I don't really expect Old Snake, I just love his design (I love the cool, old guy archetype):

When I'm in the retirement home, that's what I'm going to be! When I'm not hitting on the nurses, I'll be planning annual retirement home insurrections for Christmas! But in all seriousness, Old Snake is cool, just not as popular as the other Snakes.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
When I'm in the retirement home, that's what I'm going to be! When I'm not hitting on the nurses, I'll be planning annual retirement home insurrections for Christmas! But in all seriousness, Old Snake is cool, just not as popular as the other Snakes.
Sadly :(

But one can dream...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, Snake fans! I'm working on a project that you might have heard of called Project: Thank You Sakurai! (If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.) and I'm currently doing a poll to determine which characters should be on the virtual card that we're making for him. I would appreciate it if you guys would check it out here and vote for who you like. Snake really needs more votes if he's going to get in and it would be a great way to show Sakurai our support to see him return (I also have some artwork already, and I'd hate to see it go to waste). Can you help the guy out?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Yea march 20th more likely thats the japan release date of that and the game is being released on the anniversary of metal gear.

With that said if snake is not revealed that day either A hes toast or B sakurai can't reveal him that day due to qualifying for a trailer and coulden't put one on that day.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I saw this picture and almost had a heart attack.

I just want snake to be announced soon so i can stop worrying T.T
(source is IMDB, and it actually only has him listed as a rumor when not viewing from mobile)
I'm starting to want Snake cut just so I can make the "Hayter's gonna hate" joke.

Top Bottom