• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I thought Gravity Falls should've gone on for another season but I both respect and completely understand Alex Hirsch's decision to end the series on season 2 because of how so many other shows that got way more seasons fell off and lost their writing quality as they went on.

It's the same thing with movies. Toy Story 4 got mixed reception compared to the earlier entries, and while it certainly fared better than KP4, we're apparently getting a 5th Toy Story now and there's grounds for an argument that, in terms of feature films at least, that the franchise ended on a strong and good note with 3.

4 at least told some stories that franchise had the potential to revisit to give some answers or some stories that it hadn't explored or explained yet (mainly what happened to Bo Peep after she was given away and what defines a toy and thus what brings them to life in the Toy Story setting in the first place) but a 5th movie? What else is there to say?

Kung Fu Panda 4 at least sounds like it had the potential to revisit old characters and explore tons of new story territory, but it apparently squandered that. And while a family entertainment movie not having stellar writing certainly isn't the end of the world, it certainly doesn't do a franchise's future or reception any favors. And when that movie still has compelling stories and lessons to tell regardless of the audience it's for, it's fair to be disappointed when a follow-up to it fails to remotely tell something compelling in it's own right.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Is this a safe space?

Great Saiyaman is peak Dragon Ball
Honestly, hard to disagree, Toriyama really worked well when he just parodied **** he liked, Dr. Slump is filled with all slrts of references to old ****, one of the first bits of dialogue in Dragon Ball is a reference to something Toriyama liked, Ultraman to be specific, so it's no shocker that a parody of Kamen Rider is just real good in Dragon Ball

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
When's The Simpsons Fortnite couch gag that cross promotes with a Homer skin?
The sad part is with EA having a monopoly on Simpsons games with Tapped Out this may never happen…

And despite that Homer is my most wanted. If Family Guy and Futurama can get in why not Homer Jay Simpson?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I ain’t takin away ****. That series you love will always be there, even if it’s not getting a new show or movie or whatever. Enjoy it for what it is and what it means to you.

Because when things keep going on in perpetuity they get stupid. The MCU is getting stupid, Star Wars is getting stupid, and I don’t know about you but I’d like my favorite series’ to avoid being stupid.

Now in the case of franchises like Ninja Turtles or something, they get a reboot every decade or so to keep things fresh. I’d honestly prefer if they rebooted the Panda series instead of taking the current continuity on a nosedive.

And Y’know what, somethings just don’t get to go on forever. Thats life. Sucks, but that’s how it is.

How dare I be mildly upset that a franchise I love is going down the drain, right?
That's fair. Honestly I think I deserve a penalty for blaming the writing not being up to standard on it just being the fourth installment. A fourth installment can be great. And long form storytelling can be done pretty well. Even in films. Heck, movies started out as film serials. But it's not an easy juggling act to pull off, especially in live action and especially when trying to please a mass market and investors and mass markets in other countries as well.

Also like... the rush of getting a new installment of the thing you like is very important for people to experience. It's one of the things that makes life worth living. And if everything you like, by coincidence, happens to be "over" then... well... you just don't get that feeling. And you start getting jealous of other people who are getting that feeling. It's not your fault that the general market doesn't appeal to you, that's just luck of the draw and how your tastes turned out. And you shouldn't have to change your tastes to get that feeling that everyone needs.

I do get you though. I know what it's like to be really displeased with the direction of something you care a lot about (DC Comics for a long time, Star Trek until 2020, Sonic the Hedgehog for the foreseeable future, Mortal Kombat...) but like... I want them to get better and fix their problems. I don't want them to just stop making things. And I don't always think abandoning a continuity is the right choice just because it's "gone on too long". It's all just about... people being good at their jobs and not meddling in order to make things "more appealing to a wider market". Which like... that's what we should be asking for.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
The sad part is with EA having a monopoly on Simpsons games with Tapped Out this may never happen…

And despite that Homer is my most wanted. If Family Guy and Futurama can get in why not Homer Jay Simpson?
Considering that Isaac Clarke (an EA character) got in, I can see some legal loopholes to bring them.

But who knows, they never did an actual Simp video game since ****ing 2007. Not sure if the Lego Dimensions section counts.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, hard to disagree, Toriyama really worked well when he just parodied ** he liked, Dr. Slump is filled with all slrts of references to old **, one of the first bits of dialogue in Dragon Ball is a reference to something Toriyama liked, Ultraman to be specific, so it's no shocker that a parody of Kamen Rider is just real good in Dragon Ball
Toriyama humor is unbeatable, too bad way to many DBZ fans hated it cause they wanted nothing but a meathead show.

Gohan/Videl era only, or are we also counting the cheap ass Goten and Trunks sequel
Mostly Gohan but Super Hero is also peak.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
To be honest, I've seen too many franchises I love get sequels or continuations that failed to capture the original's appeal. The first two Kung Fu Panda movies are some of my favorite animated movies ever so I have no desire to see it happen to this series as well, which is why I have no interest in watching the fourth one.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's funny we're talking about Dragon Ball and franchises being past their shelf life because I just finished rewatching Super Broly after not really vibing with it in the theaters... and I still don't like it much. But I really enjoyed Super Hero. Dragon Ball is my favorite franchise but I've had an extremely ambivalent relationship with the Super era of the series. At the very least, Toriyama's last credited Dragon Ball movie ended his career on a high note.

That's fair. Honestly I think I deserve a penalty for blaming the writing not being up to standard on it just being the fourth installment. A fourth installment can be great. And long form storytelling can be done pretty well. Even in films. Heck, movies started out as film serials. But it's not an easy juggling act to pull off, especially in live action and especially when trying to please a mass market and investors and mass markets in other countries as well.

Also like... the rush of getting a new installment of the thing you like is very important for people to experience. It's one of the things that makes life worth living. And if everything you like, by coincidence, happens to be "over" then... well... you just don't get that feeling. And you start getting jealous of other people who are getting that feeling. It's not your fault that the general market doesn't appeal to you, that's just luck of the draw and how your tastes turned out. And you shouldn't have to change your tastes to get that feeling that everyone needs.

I do get you though. I know what it's like to be really displeased with the direction of something you care a lot about (DC Comics for a long time, Star Trek until 2020, Sonic the Hedgehog for the foreseeable future, Mortal Kombat...) but like... I want them to get better and fix their problems. I don't want them to just stop making things. And I don't always think abandoning a continuity is the right choice just because it's "gone on too long". It's all just about... people being good at their jobs and not meddling in order to make things "more appealing to a wider market". Which like... that's what we should be asking for.
The future of IP ownership is inevitably a bleak one and all of these franchises will get dragged out of the tomb again and again and again in order to extract as much value as possible. I'd suggest people should instead look to other pieces of art if they're sad their favorite one is finished/over. Or other hobbies, or anything really. There are so many things to experience in the brief time we're alive that I'd rather not spend it dependent on corporate entertainment.

I'll tell you one thing: when One Piece finishes (a close contender for my next favorite series after Dragon Ball), I'll be relieved. I have zero interest in a continuation of the series that doesn't involve Oda.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'll tell you one thing: when One Piece finishes (a close contender for my next favorite series after Dragon Ball), I'll be relieved. I have zero interest in a continuation of the series that doesn't involve Oda.
100%. I joke a lot about how I want more One Piece even after 1111 chapters but the truth is that after the series ends, I don't really want it to get a sequel of any kind. The only exception is if Oda is involved but after the dust settles I really just want him to rest rather than continue working on the same story for the rest of his life. I don't want him to end up like Togashi.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It amazes me that One Piece is even as long running as it is to begin with.

I guess it helps that the anime apparently to add a lot of filler, and probably occasionally stuff that while not necessarily filler, is still entirely new and wasn't in the manga, but even the manga itself seems to have been a very long runner.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I guess it helps that the anime apparently to add a lot of filler, and probably occasionally stuff that while not necessarily filler, is still entirely new and wasn't in the manga, but even the manga itself seems to have been a very long runner.
The anime probably hasn't added that much in the grand scheme of things as Toei eventually reduced the use of filler arcs and opted to draw scenes out to unbearable lengths and overuse flashbacks.

It's gotten a little less egregious lately with them extending scenes by other methods but my point still stands.

One Piece's length is mostly due to Oda being able to keep adding new story elements while it's serialised.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It's funny we're talking about Dragon Ball and franchises being past their shelf life because I just finished rewatching Super Broly after not really vibing with it in the theaters... and I still don't like it much. But I really enjoyed Super Hero. Dragon Ball is my favorite franchise but I've had an extremely ambivalent relationship with the Super era of the series. At the very least, Toriyama's last credited Dragon Ball movie ended his career on a high note.
it feels like Super Broly appeals to the fans that prefer DB to be meathead action, while Super Hero appeals to those that enjoy Toriyama humor and character interactions.

As someone who prefered the original DB to Z, Super Hero appealed to me more but there's room for both. I can't fault people for prefering Super Broly, it is still a great movie.

On a similar note, Battle of Gods ruled for similar reasons. Resurrection F was just trash all around tho.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
You don't know what you're taking away from others. Why can some things go on forever and others can't?
Do you think every creator wants their story to go on forever? Every story has an end at some point. Also it’s not like something can’t survive by being passed down to future generations from previous ones. Kinda why home releases and places like libraries exist.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
SmartSelect_20240410_083508_X.jpg
ahaha
Lmao
We are cooked

Oda doesnt even ****ing know what the one peice is supposed to be, why would I read something thats over a 1000 volumes and the maker himself has no idea what the "one peice" is

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Toriyama humor is unbeatable, too bad way to many DBZ fans hated it cause they wanted nothing but a meathead show.

Mostly Gohan but Super Hero is also peak.
yeah Super Hero is peak, but I’ll never forgive Goten and Trunks for all that time dissing Great Saiyaman just to copy his whole flow years later.

it’s either ride or die

StormC

Smash Hero
it feels like Super Broly appeals to the fans that prefer DB to be meathead action, while Super Hero appeals to those that enjoy Toriyama humor and character interactions.

As someone who prefered the original DB to Z, Super Hero appealed to me more but there's room for both. I can't fault people for prefering Super Broly, it is still a great movie.

On a similar note, Battle of Gods ruled for similar reasons. Resurrection F was just trash all around tho.
My biggest issue is the action in Super Broly is incredibly frantic and nearly impossible to follow at times. The camera refuses to sit still and the speed of movement really does a disservice to the beautiful animation, which is a huge shame because I love Shintani’s character designs and Takahashi’s animation cuts. DBZ action was never remotely like that, it was about strong key frames and clear, linear movement. Also don’t care for some of the story elements but you get the idea.

In comparison Super Hero has much more clear, concise action direction, and gives us a cute little story involving Gohan, Piccolo and Pan.

Jotadé

Smash Journeyman
Heya, thought my Smashboards account would be deleted by now, but apparently It hasn't. So I wanna take the chance to talk about something which happened today and has left me thinking a lot regarding the new X-Men '97 show. Don't worry, I will put spoilers hidden when necessary, but be warned I will talk about a lot of heavy stuff.

I was 9/10/8 years old, the guard near my street gave me the new Toy Story movie at the time (3) to watch at home. I was excited to see the toys new adventures so I started the movie as soon as I got to the TV... Made It to this part and started crying like crazy:
Toy-Story-3-Ending-Andy-Bonnie-Woody.jpg

The whole speech Andy gave to the little girl about how Woody meant the world to him, and the way he was telling her how much trust and value he had on her to take care of him... It hit me right in the heart. It was normal for a kid as I was back then to cry with It... My mother didn't seem to think so.

She started telling me "shut up already". I still cried... And eventually, my mother started slapping me while I was still crying. The same thing happened another day that same week I saw the movie, and the next day... The same all the time until eventually, I genuiely was unable to cry more.

Fast forward to 2021: after a traumatic episode I will never forget, this happened:
sora-revealed-as-the-final-super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-fighter_feature.jpg

Sora, a character who I was harassed in the past over wanting him in, Who I kept as a secret for so long, someone who meant my childhood to me... Made It to Smash Bros as I had always dreamed. And the fact It literally happened right after I tried to do THAT at Tejeda, and after a night of no sleep which I will never forget... It meant a lot, even if I was watching the reveal live on my way to a psychiatrist at the south of the island.
With that said... That day I only dropped around 3 or 6 tears. I counted them, and my eyes genuiely couldn't get me to drop more even if I wanted to with all the emotions on my heart.

So, what does this all have to do with X-Men '97? Well, today a new episode dropped (episode 5), and as I've been doing these past days I got to watch It. It started like normal:The X-Men Rogue, Magneto and Gambit go to Genosha to celebrate a party in the honour of the team. The episode was being very wholesome and chill... But then the ending strikes.

A Kaiju-inspired Master Mold starts attacking Genosha with Sentinels, and legit, commits genocide on the whole place. We literally see many mutants die. Magneto even is seemingly killed (although we don't see the body). This makes Rogue mad, but Gambit throws one of his explosive objects to her and goes instead to the Master Mold. He gets stabbed by It, but takes the chance to use his explosive powers on the robot... We cut to the rest of the X-Men watching the events on the news...
Screenshot_2024-04-10-13-05-27-32_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg
"I can't... feel you" says Rogue on the most destroyed emotionally voice I've heard in an animated production in a really long time (even the voice actress in the spanish dub nailed the scene) and we see how she exactly can't feel or absorb Gambit's powers without her gloves off.

Gambit, one of my favourite comic book characters ever, is dead. And this isn't comic book Gambit, this isn't the dumb Origins Wolverine Gambit, heck It ain't even Wolverine & The X-Men Gambit... This is the Gambit from the show my cousins and I watched every morning on Jetix as a kid. The one Who had cool one-liners and loved seeing in action every day. He's dead. He sacrificed himself for the well-being of the Woman she loved the most.

Today, after over 10 years of being unable to cry... I was an emotional mess today after watching this episode.

Still processing everything: the fact the genocide scarily reminded me of what's going on in the world right now, the death of one of my childhood heroes, Rogue's reaction, the fact we see the rest of the X-Men reacting to it all on TV...

It's weird... I am kinda glad for this. Not because of what happens... But because It made me feel emotions I thought I lost forever over a traumatic childhood event. I genuiely don't know how people are able to be missing out on this show. It is with no cap, one of the best comic book adaptations I've ever seen, and the themes It tackles are very huge and necessary to talk about in today's world. I know there's specific people here who genuiely don't enjoy my presence, I understand It. But I felt I had to share this with some of the people I trust and have stood for me because they deserve to share this moment with me.

Thanks to the X-Men '97 team, for helping me gain a part I thought I had lost forever... And for reminding me why It is ok to cry.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Heya, thought my Smashboards account would be deleted by now, but apparently It hasn't. So I wanna take the chance to talk about something which happened today and has left me thinking a lot regarding the new X-Men '97 show. Don't worry, I will put spoilers hidden when necessary, but be warned I will talk about a lot of heavy stuff.

I was 9/10/8 years old, the guard near my street gave me the new Toy Story movie at the time (3) to watch at home. I was excited to see the toys new adventures so I started the movie as soon as I got to the TV... Made It to this part and started crying like crazy:
View attachment 387715
The whole speech Andy gave to the little girl about how Woody meant the world to him, and the way he was telling her how much trust and value he had on her to take care of him... It hit me right in the heart. It was normal for a kid as I was back then to cry with It... My mother didn't seem to think so.

She started telling me "shut up already". I still cried... And eventually, my mother started slapping me while I was still crying. The same thing happened another day that same week I saw the movie, and the next day... The same all the time until eventually, I genuiely was unable to cry more.

Fast forward to 2021: after a traumatic episode I will never forget, this happened:
View attachment 387716
Sora, a character who I was harassed in the past over wanting him in, Who I kept as a secret for so long, someone who meant my childhood to me... Made It to Smash Bros as I had always dreamed. And the fact It literally happened right after I tried to do THAT at Tejeda, and after a night of no sleep which I will never forget... It meant a lot, even if I was watching the reveal live on my way to a psychiatrist at the south of the island.
With that said... That day I only dropped around 3 or 6 tears. I counted them, and my eyes genuiely couldn't get me to drop more even if I wanted to with all the emotions on my heart.

So, what does this all have to do with X-Men '97? Well, today a new episode dropped (episode 5), and as I've been doing these past days I got to watch It. It started like normal:The X-Men Rogue, Magneto and Gambit go to Genosha to celebrate a party in the honour of the team. The episode was being very wholesome and chill... But then the ending strikes.

A Kaiju-inspired Master Mold starts attacking Genosha with Sentinels, and legit, commits genocide on the whole place. We literally see many mutants die. Magneto even is seemingly killed (although we don't see the body). This makes Rogue mad, but Gambit throws one of his explosive objects to her and goes instead to the Master Mold. He gets stabbed by It, but takes the chance to use his explosive powers on the robot... We cut to the rest of the X-Men watching the events on the news...
"I can't... feel you" says Rogue on the most destroyed emotionally voice I've heard in an animated production in a really long time (even the voice actress in the spanish dub nailed the scene) and we see how she exactly can't feel or absorb Gambit's powers without her gloves off.

Gambit, one of my favourite comic book characters ever, is dead. And this isn't comic book Gambit, this isn't the dumb Origins Wolverine Gambit, heck It ain't even Wolverine & The X-Men Gambit... This is the Gambit from the show my cousins and I watched every morning on Jetix as a kid. The one Who had cool one-liners and loved seeing in action every day. He's dead. He sacrificed himself for the well-being of the Woman she loved the most.

Today, after over 10 years of being unable to cry... I was an emotional mess today after watching this episode.

Still processing everything: the fact the genocide scarily reminded me of what's going on in the world right now, the death of one of my childhood heroes, Rogue's reaction, the fact we see the rest of the X-Men reacting to it all on TV...

It's weird... I am kinda glad for this. Not because of what happens... But because It made me feel emotions I thought I lost forever over a traumatic childhood event. I genuiely don't know how people are able to be missing out on this show. It is with no cap, one of the best comic book adaptations I've ever seen, and the themes It tackles are very huge and necessary to talk about in today's world. I know there's specific people here who genuiely don't enjoy my presence, I understand It. But I felt I had to share this with some of the people I trust and have stood for me because they deserve to share this moment with me.

Thanks to the X-Men '97 team, for helping me gain a part I thought I had lost forever... And for reminding me why It is ok to cry.
Always good to see you back, brother :kirby:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Having watched the latest episode of X-Men 97:

If anyone didn't noticed from the episode, the Watcher showed up briefly in which I guess he must had foreseen the disaster that was about to happen in Genosha.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Do you think every creator wants their story to go on forever? Every story has an end at some point. Also it’s not like something can’t survive by being passed down to future generations from previous ones. Kinda why home releases and places like libraries exist.
I mean. Ideally that’s not up to them. Ideally people who care about there story would continue it after they finished it. Just like the old campfire stories and myths.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I mean. Ideally that’s not up to them. Ideally people who care about there story would continue it after they finished it. Just like the old campfire stories and myths.
Here's the thing. It usually isn't, and the resulting story is a piece of derivative corporate slop that's informed by capital greed rather than the author's passion, life experience and personality that defined their original work.

We are starved for original stories in the current cultural climate. Let the people cook up something fresh instead of reheating the same old ideas

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
There's nothing stopping fans from making their unofficial continuations even if the original creators stop working on it. You don't need to work with the IP owners.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

View attachment 387715

View attachment 387716

Having watched the latest episode of X-Men 97:

If anyone didn't noticed from the episode, the Watcher showed up briefly in which I guess he must had foreseen the disaster that was about to happen in Genosha.
all I gotta say after watching the episode is, in the words of the great poets MCU Peter and May Parker…WHAT THE FU-

Top Bottom