• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Well, after playing what games I could and taking a bit of a tour through the 3DS and Wii U's menus just because, I'm left with some feelings looking back on that era of Nintendo.

Mostly nostalgia, with a little bit of "Thank God that's over."
There were a lot of things about the Wii U that I really liked, but the console still flopped for a reason (mainly the Gamepad's design and very limited third party support) and aside from the single player modes and the existence of the Master Core, there's not much Smash 4 has that I think Ultimate didn't do much better.

I have no issues with the 3DS. It's an improvement over the DS (itself a solid portable game console) in every way.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
randomly found out Charles Xavier has been in love with Jean Grey since she was around 15-16…and didn’t tell poor Scott Summers until he was 20…

damn Charles why would you thirst for a minor

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I have a lot of fond memories of the Wii U, and in many ways, I regard it as a party system. The Gaming Club at my University got a lot of mileage out of Nintendo Land, Game & Wario, Mario 3D World, Sonic Racing Transformed, and of course, Mario Kart 8 and Smash.

Personally I like it more than the N64, and I think most of the games that originated on it will age better too.

Opinions: NES/Famicom & Switch > SNES & GC > Wii > Wii U > N64 > Virtual Boy

But yeah, Nintendo only has themselves to blame for it's failure. I think it's a solid system overall, but poor marketing, very little was ready to go out of the gate (yet another NSWM game? that's your system seller?), being under powered, and hard to develop for doomed it from the start. 2013 & 2014 were solid hype years for the system, but the writing was on the wall.

I'll be curious to see how it does in years going forward. It has a small physical library with only a couple games going for over $100 CIB, lack of sales and the Gamepad factor, I think will make it a very interesting system to collect for. It will especially be an easy system to go for a complete set for; complete might only be $2000 ~ $3000.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I really hope Nintendo wises up and stops doing gimmicks with there consoles and games. Wait, I'm sorry, "innovations". It's just not healthy for the company long term.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
The Wii U I do have a soft spot for, I loved what games I played and had a great time with it. But looking back it was a slow machine that didn't have very much going on with it. and what it did have has equivalents on the Switch (Except WW, TP and Xenoblade X) I Will forever vouch for the gamepad, that **** is comfy as **** to hold.

The 3DS though, that may actually be my favorite game console.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I really hope Nintendo wises up and stops doing gimmicks with there consoles and games. Wait, I'm sorry, "innovations". It's just not healthy for the company long term.
I dunno, the Switch actually was legitimately innovative as a home console/portable system, and also a major improvement on the concept they tried with the Wii U first.

Meanwhile, the 3DS' only real "gimmick" was the 3D graphics feature itself. Otherwise, it was just a much stronger and more advanced version of the original DS.

Noipoi

Howdy!
3DS based

The Wii U is a travesty and while it is a solid console with some good games, it’s not some underrated gem because it died early. It’s kinda just decent, if a bit finicky.

Honestly I think it needed to flop, Nintendo needed to learn they couldn’t just count on replicating the success of the Wii indefinitely.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
That’s like asking a fish not to swim.
Some fish long ago decided not to swim anymore. At first they just died, but eventually they started growing legs and being able to breath air and walk on land and they became amphibians and lizards. They evolved. And what they used to be went extinct. Nintendo needs to evolve, or it's going to go extinct.

The metaphor doesn't fully work because there are still living varieties of fish and we aren't in any danger of loosing all fish, but eh. What can you do.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
3DS based

The Wii U is a travesty and while it is a solid console with some good games, it’s not some underrated gem because it died early. It’s kinda just decent, if a bit finicky.

Honestly I think it needed to flop, Nintendo needed to learn they couldn’t just count on replicating the success of the Wii indefinitely.
The real underrated gem is just Nintendo Land.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I dunno, the Switch actually was legitimately innovative as a home console/portable system, and also a major improvement on the concept they tried with the Wii U first.

Meanwhile, the 3DS' only real "gimmick" was the 3D graphics feature itself. Otherwise, it was just a much stronger and more advanced version of the original DS.
Dual Screens and touch screens. The thing even had motion controls built in. Anything that makes a system's games hard to just rom dump onto the eshop os a gimmick that they need to loose.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Actually, the entire DS line was goated. DS(i) and the 3DS are both top 3 Nintendo consoles, you can make an argument they're both top 1 and you wouldn't be wrong.

In terms of being the complete package in terms of being a console, the 3DS is top 1 without a doubt. The Switch WISHES it was anywhere near as complete as the 3DS.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Dual Screens and touch screens. The thing even had motion controls built in. Anything that makes a system's games hard to just rom dump onto the eshop os a gimmick that they need to loose.
Oh, I see.

You’re just grumpy about certain games not being on Switch online, and you’re trying to justify with some grand statement on Nintendo’s (successful) business model.

Makes sense :nifty:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh, I see.

You’re just grumpy about certain games not being on Switch online, and you’re trying to justify with some grand statement on Nintendo’s (successful) business model.

Makes sense :nifty:
I mean. The same is true no matter how they add these games to the switch's library. When they require hardware that the switch just doesn't have and is non-standard for the games industry, it's bad for the game's longetivity. Like, Microsoft and Sony don't have this problem. And the only reason third party companies have to deal with this in re-releases (Like the Mega Man ZX and Battle Network games) is because Nintendo refused to obey the standard.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I do have a soft spot for the Wii U. I enjoyed it for what it was, and I really did like the Gamepad at the time. I could play TV video games while someone was on the TV, awesome!

Yeah it aged poorly, it's possibly the worst running console I have ever seen. It took like 2 minutes to load Miiverse, 2 minutes to load the internet, trying to run a Wii U game took like 5 minutes of booting up, load times sucked balls, etc. There was some novelties there that I don't think anyone used like Wii U chat. But the games ruled, as far and few between that they are.

Also somehow the only Nintendo console to ditch the Friend Code system for actual ids why in the world did they bring that back for the Switch.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Would some of the games have been as impactful without some of these features?
I mean... I think so. If Nintendo had released a system that was as powerful as the DS but without the dual screens and maybe a slightly bigger screen to use the same amount of glass, I think most of it's games would have just been better. Touch controls are never better than buttons. And dual screens were really used for anything useful other than like... seeing the map or menu at the same time as the regular game. And people don't really care that you can't do that in normal games. Heck, they could have even kept the clamshell design with only one screen for the sake of protecting it.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I mean... I think so. If Nintendo had released a system that was as powerful as the DS but without the dual screens and maybe a slightly bigger screen to use the same amount of glass, I think most of it's games would have just been better. Touch controls are never better than buttons. And dual screens were really used for anything useful other than like... seeing the map or menu at the same time as the regular game. And people don't really care that you can't do that in normal games. Heck, they could have even kept the clamshell design with only one screen for the sake of protecting it.
Nah, you’re just kinda wrong about that.

Say what you will about touch controls or waggle controls but they were big deals back in the day. They were the hot new trend for a short while, and tons of people were buying the consoles. Meaning a lot of success for the company. Without that stuff the Wii and the DS would not have been the megaton hits they were, and the company would probably be worse off.

Nintendo would not be in the position it is today without those silly, wacky gimmicks. And they don’t always work, like the gamepad. But judging by their most recent outing (the Switch) the gimmicks are doing just fine.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nah, you’re just kinda wrong about that.

Say what you will about touch controls or waggle controls but they were big deals back in the day. They were the hot new trend for a short while, and tons of people were buying the consoles. Meaning a lot of success for the company.

Nintendo would not be in the position it is today without those silly, wacky gimmicks. And they don’t always work, like the gamepad. But judging by their most recent outing (the Switch) the gimmicks are doing just fine.
But now they can't re-release these games without either remaking them, making sure the current hardware has the same gimmicks built in, or having some sort of cumbersome emulation interface in place. It might have been good for them back then but it's terrible for longevity.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They can most definitely can emulate DS games for the Switch, with workarounds for the touch screen.
How do they work around the two screens? huge empty space on both sides? side to side?
There exists many different ways to cast screens, gameplay, and seperate video onto other devices and TVs nowadays that the dual screen issue isn't really an issue at all.
What about playing in handheld mode?

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
How do they work around the two screens? huge empty space on both sides? side to side?
One screen has the top, the other has the bottom.

What about playing in handheld mode?
Have the Switch cast something to the TV ig. It may need some extra hardware but it's possible. Wii U and 3DS emulators can get both screens within seperate windows, it would be somthing similar here.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
One screen has the top, the other has the bottom.

Have the Switch cast something to the TV ig. It may need some extra hardware but it's possible. Wii U and 3DS emulators can get both screens within seperate windows, it would be somthing similar here.
What if you're like... in the car or on a train? And have no tv.

I know it's just gonna be have the screens be on screen together but like... I can't help it.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Reminder that Pretendo exists and will continue 3ds servers.
Now more than ever, and the same rule goes with most Nintendo fan projects, it is imperative to not flaunt it in front of Nintendo.

Loose lips sink ships and all that.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
That’s like asking a fish not to swim.
Yeah it's really identifying for nintendo to come up with some strange ass gimmick that's almost immediately tossed for traditional controllers.

**** touchscreens, **** tablets, and absolutely **** tiny easy to break controllers that pop for $70. I'm glad they at least make it optional to use them. Sometimes. glares at LGPE

continues to be butt hurt over new age technology

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Lego Fortnite players can now have their Lego minifigures hit the griddy.

Help…

Also a Cabbage Cart emote

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
randomly found out Charles Xavier has been in love with Jean Grey since she was around 15-16…and didn’t tell poor Scott Summers until he was 20…

damn Charles why would you thirst for a minor
It's one of those weird things about the first X-Men issues when the series was still finding its footing - Xavier was also younger than Reed Richards back then, and Xavier was described as being the first mutant. (he became a mutant as a result of his parents working on the atomic bomb during World War 2 when his mother was pregnant, whereas Reed was a World War 2 veteran - Magneto's holocaust backstory wouldn't be established until roughly issue 150 of X-Men)

Either Stan Lee was bad at math, Lee and Kirby weren't aware of how long the atomic bomb had been in development, or Professor Xavier was intended to be about 21 years old. (seeing as work on the atomic bomb started in the early 1940s and the first X-Men issues were seemingly set in the year that they came out, 1963)

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
With the online shutdown something interesting happened to Smash 3DS.

The way the shop works on 3DS for DLC is you first have to launch the game then grab the DLC.

However with Smash you first have to connect to Smash’s online service then you could get the DLC.

Because online shut down, the DLC for Smash 3DS cannot be redownloaded.

Top Bottom