• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

Noipoi

Howdy!
Here is something very promising:

The Mario and Luigi games may not be dead yet
Nintendo is really trying to fix the Mario RPGs

IMG_6635.jpeg

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
You know what I think would be pretty cool? Nintendo VS Capcom.

As a fighting game in the style of Marvel VS Capcom.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Not bothering with making a roster but if there was a Disney Channel fighting game, who would y'all main?

Bill Cipher is the correct answer.

Or Zach and Cody, that's also acceptable.
Grunkle Stan, Bill Cipher, Anne Boonchuy. King Andrias, Hunter or Emperor Belos.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
The average plane ride is completely uneventful. They’ll be fine.
See, my father says the same thing of "you have more chance getting into a car accident then you do a plane falling from the sky" and he is right and there is 1000s of planes out there that are mostly safe, Im still get super scared
Hide in the luggage.

Then hijack the plane.
What if I get hungry in the luggage??😢

Last edited:

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
My mom and dad are going on a flight for a wedding and I need some reasurence that they are gonna be ok. I hate planes. I hate hate hate planes
Aww, don't worry. I'm sure they'll be totally fine! It's said that air travel is the absolute safest mode of transportation.

It's totally fine that you're nervous, but trust me, they will be okay.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just saw Ghostbusters Frozen Empire. I loved it! It was a little long but it was ghostbusters through and through and it had so many cool things in it. Garaaka was cool as far as a new villain goes, Lucky and Podcast were in way more of the movie than the trailers and posters would make you believe. Peck still has no ****. It’s just good ghostbusters content and I can’t ask for more than that. It didn’t need to be more than that. I had a blast watching it and I really hope they get to make another one with this cast (though with less of the mom and Paul Rudd. The team that had chemistry in Afterlife was Phoebe, Trevor, Podcast, and Lucky. The non-legacy adults feel like third wheels).

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Here is something very promising:

The Mario and Luigi games may not be dead yet
You know, last time they did a Mario RPG related survey we got Sticker Star.

All the default answers were to the effect of "I don't care about characters or story" and people just clicked through it as fast as possible because they wanted their Nintendo points.

I'm mostly joking though.
I don't actually think this was the reason why that game is the way that it is.

It's more that the entire franchise seemed to be heading in that direction around the late 2000s.

Stuff like Toadsworth getting unpersoned, E. Gadd and his inventions disappearing from everything outside of Luigi's Mansion, and Mario Galaxy's director having to sneak Rosalina's backstory into the game because Miyamoto didn't want it in there.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know, last time they did a Mario RPG related survey we got Sticker Star.

All the default answers were to the effect of "I don't care about characters or story" and people just clicked through it as fast as possible because they wanted their Nintendo points.

I'm mostly joking though.
I don't actually think this was the reason why that game is the way that it is.

It's more that the entire franchise seemed to be heading in that direction around the late 2000s.

Stuff like Toadsworth getting unpersoned, E. Gadd and his inventions disappearing from everything outside of Luigi's Mansion, and Mario Galaxy's director having to sneak Rosalina's backstory into the game because Miyamoto didn't want it in there.
The early to mid 2000s seemed to be Nintendo realizing that Mario truly was a massive franchise that was here to stay, so in an attempt to protect the brand’s identity they just made everything so ridiculously basic. Just the standard Mario iconography you see on lunchboxes and backpacks, no more zaniness.

Glad they finally seem to be moving away from that.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The early to mid 2000s seemed to be Nintendo realizing that Mario truly was a massive franchise that was here to stay, so in an attempt to protect the brand’s identity they just made everything so ridiculously basic. Just the standard Mario iconography you see on lunchboxes and backpacks, no more zaniness.

Glad they finally seem to be moving away from that.
Bring back Toadsworth! Bring back... EVERYONE! Like seriously. How is it that NSMB1 has the most creative bosses in the 2D series?

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I actually liked Sticker Star first playthrough. Iirc it was my 2nd Paper Mario game, after TTYD (then came 64 then Super). I enjoyed it but I saw it as inferior to TTYD

I did however spend hours in the trash heap level because i wanted to read Goombella's research notes. Yeah, I was that much of a diehard fan. It was worth it.

And then I found out that Parakarry had a letter too and I already used the vacuum so I never got to read it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like games like the Mario RPGs help give the brand longevity if anything. It makes fans more invested longterm to see projects like that, but corporations take the path of least resistance and want to sand down the edges on their marketing mascots because it makes things easier to control.

I get that Super Paper Mario's weird setting and story might have been a stretch too far, but putting the kibosh on games like TTYD was shortsighted. Hopefully with the remake on the horizon they're moving past that mentality.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The new movie just reminds me of how much I want a new Ghostbusters video game (in the style of the critically acclaimed one from 2008) with the new cast. I don't care about Spirits Unleashed and it's asymmetrical multiplayer garb.

Considering I apparently went off the deep end last night (I still think that was just y'all being unreasonable but whatever) I won't go on a rant about how not everything needs to be some big multiplayer game and capitalism and dominant trends are ruining video games, but just know that I wanted to.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
For what it was worth I find Origami King to be the 3rd best in the series, and I could tell they were focusing on returning to form from that game. It sold really good too, it was right behind Super in terms of sales.

Mario and Luigi is cooked tho. Last original game was a total failure on all sides and the last remake was the same exact game that you could already get for the 3DS but with the same side game that nobody liked in the first remake.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I feel like games like the Mario RPGs help give the brand longevity if anything. It makes fans more invested longterm to see projects like that, but corporations take the path of least resistance and want to sand down the edges on their marketing mascots because it makes things easier to control.

I get that Super Paper Mario's weird setting and story might have been a stretch too far, but putting the kibosh on games like TTYD was shortsighted. Hopefully with the remake on the horizon they're moving past that mentality.
I love how Super was barely even an RPG by traditional standards and was by all accounts, a Paper Mario spinoff, but it somehow ended up being treated like a "main line" Paper Mario game and it's reception shaped the series going forward.

Top Bottom