• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement at the Indie World

• Little Kitty, Big City

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Yars Rising

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Refind Self: The Personality Test Game

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sticky Business

• Antonblast

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Valley Peaks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorelei and the Laser Eyes

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Helder Pinto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TMNT Splintered Fate

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Cat Quest 3

• stitch

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Steamworld Heist 2

• One of the games from the montage

• None

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Going in to the direct, I wish I wasn't so pessimistic about it, but if Nintendo truly is killing off the NSMB series then that'll vindicate all those people who treat NSMB fans as second class citizens, and I don't know if I could ever get over that

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Going in to the direct, I wish I wasn't so pessimistic about it, but if Nintendo truly is killing off the NSMB series then that'll vindicate all those people who treat NSMB fans as second class citizens, and I don't know if I could ever get over that
I mean I do enjoy the NSMB series, but I think it's outstayed it's welcome. I wouldn't mind a reboot

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
I mean I do enjoy the NSMB series, but I think it's outstayed it's welcome. I wouldn't mind a reboot
I don't see what would fundamentally change as a result of a "reboot," nor do I see why it would warrant Nintendo accepting the premise that NSMB as a brand means anything other than a modern incarnation of the classic SMB games. That's not even getting into how many of the changes that people suggest don't make a lot of sense to me: people didn't seem to have a problem with a consistent art style when Kirby did it.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I don't see what would fundamentally change as a result of a "reboot," nor do I see why it would warrant Nintendo accepting the premise that NSMB as a brand means anything other than a modern incarnation of the classic SMB games. That's not even getting into how many of the changes that people suggest don't make a lot of sense to me: people didn't seem to have a problem with a consistent art style when Kirby did it.
Actually yeah, I spoke to a lot of people who were sick of the Return to Dream Land style by Star Allies and even before that.

Personally the NSMB style puts me to sleep, I can barely distinguish between the Wii game and the Wii U game and the Mario Maker levels. The games are fun to play but there's nothing to set them apart from each other in a significant way, it's high time for a change

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Actually yeah, I spoke to a lot of people who were sick of the Return to Dream Land style by Star Allies and even before that.
Well, I haven't really been able to find these kinds of people in my circles.
Regardless, it goes beyond just Kirby. I find it quite telling that when people point to examples of how Nintendo supposedly got it right, they always point to the classics and never to, for instance, the 3D games. The problem with trying to change the artstyle in this day and age is that an HD console means you can more accurately replicate the intended design of characters and other things, so deliberately choosing not to do that comes across as change for the sake of change. Compare that to how in the 8/16 bit eras, you had more room to be abstract, meaning that Mario's eyes would be black dots in SMB3 but they would have sclera (the white part) in World

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
For me personally, it just got kinda samey after Wii. It was the same 8 worlds, same 8 bosses, same soundtrack, coupled with the same artstyle. It's not really "New" anymore like the original DS game was, and I want then to switch it up this time around. Some fresh life.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Hope everyone is ready for the Direct airing in a half hour.

After the Direct a poll will go up based on what everyone’s favorite announcement was.

Any last minute predictions? For me Mario Kart will likely be teased.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
For me personally, it just got kinda samey after Wii. It was the same 8 worlds, same 8 bosses, same soundtrack, coupled with the same artstyle.
But as I alluded to, it's a bit arbitrary to act like these things are inherent to the "New" branding. Also, I would have less of a problem with these criticisms if it wasn't for those people who overcorrect: for instance, I would be fine with having Koopalings in the fortresses and unique bosses in the castles, but getting rid of the Koopalings altogether would basically bring us back to the "bad old days" where people missed them and wanted them to come back

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
But as I alluded to, it's a bit arbitrary to act like these things are inherent to the "New" branding. Also, I would have less of a problem with these criticisms if it wasn't for those people who overcorrect: for instance, I would be fine with having Koopalings in the fortresses and unique bosses in the castles, but getting rid of the Koopalings altogether would basically bring us back to the "bad old days" where people missed them and wanted them to come back
Yeah, I understand that New was just a branding. Now me personally, majority of Mario games I grew up with where ones where the Koopalings weren't bosses so I truly won't mind them disappearing. But again, that's just a personal thing

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Last minute prediction.

It closes on Metroid Prime 4. We get a quick teaser of gameplay, showing samus in a beautiful world unlike anything previously seen.

In fact, it looks too good to be running on switch. Which is why it isn’t, but we won’t learn that till later in the year.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Apparently Secret Invasion's opening credits are AI made

My respect for this studio has hit rock bottom. I was already getting sick of this franchise due to how creatively bankrupt and mediocre most of their movies have been, but this guarantees that I will not be giving them another penny. **** Disney

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Apparently Secret Invasion's opening credits are AI made

My respect for this studio has hit rock bottom. I was already getting sick of this franchise due to how creatively bankrupt and mediocre most of their movies have been, but this guarantees that I will not be giving them another penny. **** Disney
Good thing you don’t have too.

Argh matey

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually thematically, using AI to make the title sequence makes sense and was probably intentional.

It’s a show about imposters stealing identities and living among us. Having the title screen give that same sense of “this doesn’t feel real” by using AI actually makes sense, as AI doesn’t look real half the time but tries to imposter real artists.

But maybe they did this to cut costs which in that case is an L. We will have see how later projects do.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Good thing you don’t have too.

Argh matey
I have no interest in watching something that wasn't made by human beings

I jokingly referred to Marvel Studios as an assembly line before but it's never been truer than it was before

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also I fully believe the rumor that the Mario game has characters we don’t normally get to play as, as playable characters.

And whose ready for Donkey Kong?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Wow they really leading with Pokémon? That’s a first and pretty wild.

This music is a bop though.
Outfits looking sick too.

Top Bottom