• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
From what I understand the Mario movie is pretty much made exclusively for already existing fans

If they go the same route for other Nintendo franchises there's no way in hell they'll make buck at the box office.
I will say it would be on brand for the Earthbound movie to completely bomb at the box office

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
With Pokémon Stadium releasing on Switch tomorrow, time for a fun fact: It is programmed to say that Diglett can legally know the move Acid, even though it has never been given that move (not even up to Scarlet and Violet)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
From what I understand the Mario movie is pretty much made exclusively for already existing fans

If they go the same route for other Nintendo franchises there's no way in hell they'll make buck at the box office.
Eh. It might work for Mario adjacent franchises (Wario, Luigi's Mansion, DKC) and a few more (Zelda and Kirby probably). But a lot of the rest would be... I'm not sure... I mean Metroid Dread sold well....

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Finally starting Mario Odyssey in anticipation of the Mary-O movie
Eh. It might work for Mario adjacent franchises (Wario, Luigi's Mansion, DKC) and a few more (Zelda and Kirby probably). But a lot of the rest would be... I'm not sure... I mean Metroid Dread sold well....
I mean yeah I do think some Nintendo series could make buck at the box office, I just think the more niche ones have no chance at all. And I say this as a pretty big Fire Emblem fan

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I had a dream last night where it was a post apocalyptic world and I was journeying through it with “the resistance”. Saving kids and stuff. And then partway through it was revealed that I was the one who caused the apocalypse. And I just straight up became Kang the Conqueror from Marvel. But like a girl version. And then the rest of the Dream was them trying to “get” me while I was, I kid you not, getting food at a Sheetz that I kept temporarily locked in the year 2013 so I could always have their food in the apocalypse. And the resistance had like, a certain number of changes they could make to the loop before it like, reset or something and I guess I would just **** off. I woke up before seeing the conclusion but it all seemed quite epic. And a nice turnaround from the endless dreams I’ve had of me needing to get ready for school.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It mostly depends on the marketing, but Nintendo fans gaslit themselves into thinking that every popular franchise back in 1999 is still a very relevant franchise in 2023. Like Mario worked because little Timmy and their grandma know who Mario is, but try going for a franchise with the same target audience, does little Timmy and his Grandma know wtf a Kid Icarus, F-Zero, or a Star Fox is? Like I'm ngl, looking at the poll above and the only one I can see doing something aside from Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing, is Punch Out.
I mean yeah I do think some Nintendo series could make buck at the box office, I just think the more niche ones have no chance at all. And I say this as a pretty big Fire Emblem fan
That said, I do think franchises like Metroid and FE have potential to succeed, but they gotta capture an entirely different target audience. FE moreso if they can get the weebs rangled up.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Poseidon's fury, a Walkthrough attraction at Universal Islands Of Adventure is closing down. One of the big theories for it's replacement has been a Zelda ride.

Tis my birthday! I turn 31!
Happy Birthday

Nintendo's own alternative to E3, from the looks of it.
I'm pretty sure these have happened before and there were no announcements, so I wouldn't get your hopes up about that, but it is still cool that Nintendo is still doing in person events like this.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Nintendo's own alternative to E3, from the looks of it.
Is it though? It doesn't sound like anything's being announced. It's just like... a party, I guess. Especially since they're emphasizing how "for kids" the event is, kinda the opposite of E3 being mostly for investors.

It mostly depends on the marketing, but Nintendo fans gaslit themselves into thinking that every popular franchise back in 1999 is still a very relevant franchise in 2023. Like Mario worked because little Timmy and their grandma know who Mario is, but try going for a franchise with the same target audience, does little Timmy and his Grandma know wtf a Kid Icarus, F-Zero, or a Star Fox is? Like I'm ngl, looking at the poll above and the only one I can see doing something aside from Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing, is Punch Out.

That said, I do think franchises like Metroid and FE have potential to succeed, but they gotta capture an entirely different target audience. FE moreso if they can get the weebs rangled up.
I think franchises like Star Fox or Metroid or Fire Emblem and all the others could totally work and be successful as movies. The stipulation is that it would have nothing to do with the games' successes lol. 90% of people would just take it as, "Oh hey cool new sci-fi movie IP with a female protagonist like that chick from Alien? I like Alien, I think I might watch it." (assuming it's marketed and made well) instead of being invested on name recognition.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Kirby could work. People know Kirby. Pretty sure.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I think franchises like Star Fox or Metroid or Fire Emblem and all the others could totally work and be successful as movies. The stipulation is that it would have nothing to do with the games' successes lol. 90% of people would just take it as, "Oh hey cool new sci-fi movie IP with a female protagonist like that chick from Alien? I like Alien, I think I might watch it." (assuming it's marketed and made well) instead of being invested on name recognition.
It really depends how they market it. The Mario Movie was marketed as... well, a Mario Movie. Look at all the references, it's Mario as you know it. If they try that again with a lesser known franchise... good luck. Even then, I got doubts given that Nintendo dropped some franchises here like an ugly duckling.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
And even if they don't know DKC specifically, they know Donkey Kong and that might be enough for a movie to work.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
And even if they don't know DKC specifically, they know Donkey Kong and that might be enough for a movie to work.
Yeah, but I'm lumping Mario, Yoshi, Wario and DK under a shared Mario universe. They're kinda like Mickey Mouse characters, they all got spinoffs and stuff but under the same hood everyone knows them as Mario characters first and foremost.
Kirby could work. People know Kirby. Pretty sure.
Kurby could work for sure, arguably the most marketable character in Nintendo's lineup.

Though Kirby doesn't talk so uh... that's gonna be interesting.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but I'm lumping Mario, Yoshi, Wario and DK under a shared Mario universe. They're kinda like Mickey Mouse characters, they all got spinoffs and stuff but under the same hood everyone knows them as Mario characters first and foremost.

Kurby could work for sure, arguably the most marketable character in Nintendo's lineup.

Though Kirby doesn't talk so uh... that's gonna be interesting.
Eh. The anime got around it pretty well.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
For people who have played OneShot, are there any big differences between the PC and Switch version? and if so is one better than the other?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
On Jonathan Majors, it really disappointing to hear the news of what has transpired around him. I know that Marvel Studios are currently taking careful steps and procedures at the moment and it would not be a surprise if they decided to recast him.
When your lawyer says I can clear your name, and proceeds to release evidence that paints you as an abuser…

it’s already a rough start. But then you claim to have video evidence that proves him in on ent, yet refuse to release it.

That’s even worse, and at this point, I can’t see him not being recast. Which is shamed because he killed it in ant man. I don’t see how it’s so hard to be a good person.

Top Bottom