• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I could be wrong, but you don't seem to to be into many things that are big or good.

I loved what I saw in the Street Fighter 6 showcase. If I had a big enough interest, I would buy it, and my interest is already very big.
I loved Street Fighter V. It’s just… most of street fighter 6’s newcomers look bland to me and I don’t like the new art style. I don’t like the more realistic character designs and weird spray paint graphics that just splash on screen randomly like this is Splatoon. I don’t like how they’re doing story mode this time as an open world game staring a rando user created OC as opposed to an NRS style cinematic story starting the games actual characters. I just… don’t like it.

Like, I wanted them to lean further back into the anime inspired cell shaded look they started with in 4 that they kind of lost in V. I want multicultural characters from around the world and characters who have personality and are a little strange. I don’t want Street Fighter to become more homogeneous with the rest of the gaming landscape.

Again. I didn’t watch todays presentation. But like… why would I? I don’t think they’re gonna reveal anything that could make me come around to this new direction.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I loved Street Fighter V. It’s just… most of street fighter 6’s newcomers look bland to me and I don’t like the new art style. I don’t like the more realistic character designs and weird spray paint graphics that just splash on screen randomly like this is Splatoon. I don’t like how they’re doing story mode this time as an open world game staring a rando user created OC as opposed to an NRS style cinematic story starting the games actual characters. I just… don’t like it.

Like, I wanted them to lean further back into the anime inspired cell shaded look they started with in 4 that they kind of lost in V. I want multicultural characters from around the world and characters who have personality and are a little strange. I don’t want Street Fighter to become more homogeneous with the rest of the gaming landscape.

Again. I didn’t watch todays presentation. But like… why would I? I don’t think they’re gonna reveal anything that could make me come around to this new direction.
Eh, most of what you are complaining about is fine to me. I mean, the World Tour and its story mode and environment do seem radical for a fighting game, but rather in a good way to me. Even if it was homogeneous with the rest of the gaming landscape, I don't find that a bad thing, personally. I am sure it could still be fun.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Eh, most of what you are complaining about is fine to me. I mean, the World Tour and its story mode and environment do seem radical for a fighting game, but rather in a good way to me. Even if it was homogeneous with the rest of the gaming landscape, I don't find that a bad thing, personally. I am sure it could still be fun.
I'm watching the broadcast now because I feel like I have to to keep having this conversation. And man... I REALLY don't like World Tour mode. They spent so much time and money developing this when they could have been making actual stuff that maters for a fighting game. All this over-world and customizable character crap isn't easy or cheap to make you know. It's costing us actual worthwhile content. Just so that some rando can pick up the game and get the same experience they could get from any other open world title on the market. I hate it so much.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I'm watching the broadcast now because I feel like I have to to keep having this conversation. And man... I REALLY don't like World Tour mode. They spent so much time and money developing this when they could have been making actual stuff that maters for a fighting game. All this over-world and customizable character crap isn't easy or cheap to make you know. It's costing us actual worthwhile content. Just so that some rando can pick up the game and get the same experience they could get from any other open world title on the market. I hate it so much.
Now this is what I meant by you not liking things like these. I know your preferences well. I don’t hate them, I just know them. :p

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
so that some rando can pick up the game and get the same experience they could get from any other open world title on the market. I hate it so much.
That's not a bad thing. The more people who pick it up because of that, the bugger the playerbase. The bigger the playerbase, the more people to fight which then relates to a much better online experience, which leads to a more fun game. Like you can have your concerns but framing randos playing the game because of an expansive single player mode as bad thing is plain wrong.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
A Yakuza style world to explore that also actually teaches you how to play the game is vastly more appealing than a 4 hour long story mode you play once to unlock a character and then never touch again.

The game is filled with all sorts of stuff that matters too. We have team battles, extreme rules including battles being decided on a bingo style system or the amount of knockdowns as opposed to reducing a life bar, online training, a proper arcade mode from the get go, proper lobbies, a meaningful tutorial, proper character guides that teach you the utility of the tools at your disposal, character missions to learn basic combos ala Blazblue and they have plenty of old Capcom titles you can play too.

This game is filled with stuff that matters. It will be, assuming they don't **** up the online come launch, the gold standard for future fighting games. The only complaint I've seen from people like Maximilian is no jukebox with old music but considering how **** some devs are at compression (hey SNK, why's your ****ty game with online that doesn't even ****ing work and barely any single player content nearly 70gb in size?) I can ignore it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
God if Li Fen is just a god damn World Tour character who uses a clone moveset like the avatar instead of getting her own spot on the roster and her own playstyle like she's deserved all these years I'll be even more mad.

God I don't want to "build a character that's unique to me"! I want to play as the actual characters that matter that a designer made! If I wanted to play as my own OCs I'd make my own video game where I actually have 100% creative freedom.

God there are a lot of characters I've seen in the World Tour trailer that deserve to get actual movesets and playstyles and not just get these stripped down clonesets
Now this is what I meant by you not liking things like these. I know your preferences well. I don’t hate them, I just know them. :p
Except you just said I don't like "good things".
That's not a bad thing. The more people who pick it up because of that, the bugger the playerbase. The bigger the playerbase, the more people to fight which then relates to a much better online experience, which elads to a more fun game. Like you can have your concerns but framing randos playing the game because of an expansive single player mode as bad thing is plain wrong.
Except it's coming at the cost of actual worthwhile content that's the kind of thing that people who actually play fighting games for fighting games actually want. They can't do everything. So they have to make choices. And they're making the wrong choices. Like look at the arcade mode. It's still friggin still portraits with dialogue text because they spent all that money on doing cutscenes for World Tour. They could have done actual animations as ending like they did in 4, but they decided that didn't matter.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
God if Li Fen is just a god damn World Tour character who uses a clone moveset like the avatar instead of getting her own spot on the roster and her own playstyle like she's deserved all these years I'll be even more mad.

God I don't want to "build a character that's unique to me"! I want to play as the actual characters that matter that a designer made! If I wanted to play as my own OCs I'd make my own video game where I actually have 100% creative freedom.

God there are a lot of characters I've seen in the World Tour trailer that deserve to get actual movesets and playstyles and not just get these stripped down clonesets

Except you just said I don't like "good things".
I previously said big and good things. I mean, by good, I mean that you tend to not like things a lot of people like. You did this with the open world in things like Sonic Frontiers.

I mean, I don’t really have a problem with all that, but I just had to note this.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
A Yakuza style world to explore that also actually teaches you how to play the game is vastly more appealing than a 4 hour long story mode you play once to unlock a character and then never touch again.

The game is filled with all sorts of stuff that matters too. We have team battles, extreme rules including battles being decided on a bingo style system or the amount of knockdowns as opposed to reducing a life bar, online training, a proper arcade mode from the get go, proper lobbies, a meaningful tutorial, proper character guides that teach you the utility of the tools at your disposal, character missions to learn basic combos ala Blazblue and they have plenty of old Capcom titles you can play too.

This game is filled with stuff that matters. It will be, assuming they don't ** up the online come launch, the gold standard for future fighting games. The only complaint I've seen from people like Maximilian is no jukebox with old music but considering how ** some devs are at compression (hey SNK, why's your ****ty game with online that doesn't even ****ing work and barely any single player content nearly 70gb in size?) I can ignore it.
If you call this the gold standard than you're worshiping false gods. I don't know what other way to put it.

I replay the story modes in MK regularly. I replay SFV's story mode regularly. I will at most play World Tour once and never look back at it. But I will probably never touch it in the first place. Because it's not what I wan't from a Street Fighter experience. All that stuff in your middle paragraph is cool. I have no quarrel with it. But they have made so many other missteps with this game that if it's the standard for the genre going forward than they've killed it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

LETS ****ING GOOOOO ALL THE LEAKS WERE RIGHT WE GET A ****TON OF NEW MONSTER SUITS, A DARKER TONE AND THE SHOW WON'T BE SUPER RELIANT ON THE 50+ YEARS OF HISTORY THIS FRANCHISE HAS! IF THE DUB'S ON PAR WITH THE CURREMT Z DUB THEN WE ARE IN FOR AS THE KIDS SAY, PEAK ****ING FICTION

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I previously said big and good things. I mean, by good, I mean that you tend to not like things a lot of people like. You did this with the open world in things like Sonic Frontiers.

I mean, I don’t really have a problem with all that, but I just had to note this.
I take issue with "a lot of people liking it" equating to "thing good". At most it's a correlation. But the two are not connected in any way.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Except it's coming at the cost of actual worthwhile content that's the kind of thing that people who actually play fighting games for fighting games actually want.
This is gonna sound crazy as all hell, but these things are far more important than you think. They can focus on the fighting part sure, but if that's all they have to offer then no, I'm sorry that's not a worthwhole game worth playing. You need a good balance between the competitive modes and some fun side modes to retain a good playerbase in this day and age. Street Fighter 5 went full E-Sports for launch, they appealed to the "people who play fighting games", and it was a disaster. There was absolutely nothing else to do which dettered newcomers, and these "people who play fighting games" complained about the lack of content which was substantially less than USF4. And it sucks seeing all these other modern fighting games fall into the same trap, with playerbases decreasing substantially because they have almost nothing to offer.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If you call this the gold standard than you're worshiping false gods. I don't know what other way to put it.

I replay the story modes in MK regularly. I replay SFV's story mode regularly. I will at most play World Tour once and never look back at it. But I will probably never touch it in the first place. Because it's not what I wan't from a Street Fighter experience. All that stuff in your middle paragraph is cool. I have no quarrel with it. But they have made so many other missteps with this game that if it's the standard for the genre going forward than they've killed it.
What missteps have they made exactly?
Everything you've said so far is merely about not being to your preference which puts you in a very small minority.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I take issue with "a lot of people liking it" equating to "thing good". At most it's a correlation. But the two are not connected in any way.
Hey, I actually meant good on a subjective level, not the objective level.

I mean, I may have misused good, but rest assured I was not equating people liking something to it being good.

You just tend to not like what a lot of people like, that is all. I am only noting that.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Except it's coming at the cost of actual worthwhile content that's the kind of thing that people who actually play fighting games for fighting games actually want. They can't do everything. So they have to make choices. And they're making the wrong choices. Like look at the arcade mode. It's still friggin still portraits with dialogue text because they spent all that money on doing cutscenes for World Tour. They could have done actual animations as ending like they did in 4, but they decided that didn't matter.
Street Fighter 6 has been stated to be a game to get new people into Street Fighter and Fighting games. Focusing on a big new mode like World Tour is way more appealing to someone who has never played a Fighting game before (or someone who hasn't played one in a while) which is very important to sustaining a game and fanbase, arguably more important than just churning out character after character.

Even if it sucks, it is interesting which is more than I can say about SFV

LETS ****ING GOOOOO ALL THE LEAKS WERE RIGHT WE GET A ****TON OF NEW MONSTER SUITS, A DARKER TONE AND THE SHOW WON'T BE SUPER RELIANT ON THE 50+ YEARS OF HISTORY THIS FRANCHISE HAS! IF THE DUB'S ON PAR WITH THE CURREMT Z DUB THEN WE ARE IN FOR AS THE KIDS SAY, PEAK ****ING FICTION
Between this, the Z dub and the Ultraman Zero movies I ordered, I really have no excuse not to get into Ultraman anymore huh?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This is gonna sound crazy as all hell, but these things are far more important than you think. They can focus on the fighting part sure, but if that's all they have to offer then no, I'm sorry that's not a worthwhole game worth playing. You need a good balance between the competitive modes and some fun side modes to retain a good playerbase in this day and age. Street Fighter 5 went full E-Sports for launch, they appealed to the "people who play fighting games", and it was a disaster. There was absolutely nothing else to do which dettered newcomers, and these "people who play fighting games" complained about the lack of content which was substantially less than USF4. And it sucks seeing all these other modern fighting games fall into the same trap, with playerbases decreasing substantially because they have almost nothing to offer.
Being a Strive player is suffering.
The online is broken, there's a hackerman ****ing things up, the lobbies suck **** and all I can do is... an arcade ladder or survival. There's communication at least but ****'s dire because there's nothing to do. The story mode is a glorified anime movie for **** sake.

Meanwhile I can't play Soul Calibur 6 online because that game's online runs like **** but at least I can play Libra of Soul for a good 10-20 hours of playtime. Hate that Scamco left it for dead whilst they charged for frame data in Tekken 7.

Meanwhile NRS single player is literally just story mode and grinding ladders and they know it's a grind because they let you set up an AI to fight for you!

Yeah, they tried the NRS model and it was atrocious.
And they tried again with MvC:I and it sucked again but at least that had some fun ideas going for it like Satsui no Hado Thanos and Ultron Sigma whilst SFV had Cammy pull a package from out of her uh... yeah...

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
What missteps have they made exactly?
Everything you've said so far is merely about not being to your preference which puts you in a very small minority.
I can't be the only one who doesn't like the story mode angle they've taken and wishes they've taken the development resources elsewhere. Like actually animating the scenes in Arcade Mode and adding in more and more diverse characters at launch.
People wanted more characters at launch. They wanted the Arcade and Story Modes at launch. They didn't want World Tour mode!
Street Fighter 6 has been stated to be a game to get new people into Street Fighter and Fighting games. Focusing on a big new mode like World Tour is way more appealing to someone who has never played a Fighting game before (or someone who hasn't played one in a while) which is very important to sustaining a game and fanbase.

Well we shouldn't want them here then. They should be making the best version of what they already are and as much of it as possible to attract people who like it. Not changing it into something else that other people like because there are more people in that other crowd over there. Who knows what they could have made if they weren't wasting their time and money on World Tour. Who knows how GORGEOUS the game could have looked if they had actually leaned into the anime stylization the series was borne from. Who knows what kind of interesting characters we could have gotten if they had actually bothered to look at parts of the world that aren't Japan, North America, and Europe for their newcomers. We could have had a wonderfully big and grand Street Fighter game that celebrated everything it is and that makes it great as a series. Instead we get a game that doesn't even want to be a part of the series it's from because it wants more eyes on it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I can't be the only one who doesn't like the story mode angle they've taken and wishes they've taken the development resources elsewhere. Like actually animating the scenes in Arcade Mode and adding in more and more diverse characters at launch.

People wanted more characters at launch. They wanted the Arcade and Story Modes at launch. They didn't want World Tour mode!

Well we shouldn't want them here then. They should be making the best version of what they already are and as much of it as possible to attract people who like it. Not changing it into something else that other people like because there are more people in that other crowd over there. Who knows what they could have made if they weren't wasting their time and money on World Tour. Who knows how GORGEOUS the game could have looked if they had actually leaned into the anime stylization the series was borne from. Who knows what kind of interesting characters we could have gotten if they had actually bothered to look at parts of the world that aren't Japan, North America, and Europe for their newcomers. We could have had a wonderfully big and grand Street Fighter game that celebrated everything it is and that makes it great as a series. Instead we get a game that doesn't even want to be a part of the series it's from because it wants more eyes on it.
Look, it is not wrong to try new things. I understand you don't like it, but it seems you are acting like this is all a crime in some way. One can prosper if they try new things and do it well, and it looks like Street Fighter 6 is doing these things well. That is what should matter, right? I mean, if you don't like all this, at least be happy for Capcom and the fans who do like it. They are focusing on things that actually matter, and the things that matter don't have to be the same as the old. It is not like continuing with a Street Fighter V game would actually be beneficial for Capcom that much, even if you did like that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Street Fighter 6 has been stated to be a game to get new people into Street Fighter and Fighting games. Focusing on a big new mode like World Tour is way more appealing to someone who has never played a Fighting game before (or someone who hasn't played one in a while) which is very important to sustaining a game and fanbase, arguably more important than just churning out character after character.

Between this, the Z dub and the Ultraman Zero movies I ordered, I really have no excuse not to get into Ultraman anymore huh?
Same dude, Shin Ultraman blurays are out in May iirc and Mill Creek's up to I believe Nexus, which the west seems to utterly adore with Blazer being similar enough tonewise to make people excited. Still need to see Nexus but if they manage to sneak Eiyuu in Blazer I can die without regrets

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Look, it is not wrong to try new things. I understand you don't like it, but it seems you are acting like this is all a crime in some way. One can prosper if they try new things and do it well, and it looks like Street Fighter 6 is doing these things well. That is what should matter, right? I mean, if you don't like all this, at least be happy for Capcom and the fans who do like it. They are focusing on things that actually matter, and the things that matter don't have to be the same as the old. It is not like continuing with a Street Fighter V game would actually be beneficial for Capcom that much, even if you did like that.
You can only be happy for others for so long and to such a degree. Sooner or later you're going to desire happiness for yourself genuinely.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You can only be happy for others for so long and to such a degree. Sooner or later you're going to desire happiness for yourself genuinely.
I mean, it is not hard to have both. Even if not in some cases, I think trying to be happy for yourself about a video game is not that worth it. I mean, there are other things that are more important to be happy about than trying to be happy with a video game. I am sure that if people, and lots of people like it, that is what matters. I mean, you can't please everyone. Some people won't be pleased, but that does not mean Capcom doing these new things with Street Fighter 6 is a bad idea. I am pretty sure it can still be a Street Fighter game and a Fighting game, with a new experience, of course. They did say they wanted to aim to appeal to newer fans of Street Fighter and fighting games in general, something along those lines? Either way, that is not a bad thing.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You're not, I wish there was a better roster as well, but given the full product I think it's ok
Judging by the reaction, seems like people are super cool with this too
Again, why are you trying to gatekeep Street Fighter? It's the most popular fighting game franchise that's not Smash, it's not like it's some obscure ArcSys game from 1994, it's always been a super casual yet competitibe franchise since SF2, what makes it different now? The core gameplay is still intact, this is just a fun side mode you can ignore. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it was a total waste of time.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
8 hour long episodes? What the heck?! I'd rather work on the railroad all the live long day than watch these!
A whole live action book consisting of 8 episodes, each being an hour or so long, all possibly attempting to make time to get through the entire Water book of the series…it kinda makes sense if the show successfully adapts the show well

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
A whole live action book consisting of 8 episodes, each being an hour or so long, all possibly attempting to make time to get through the entire Water book of the series…it kinda makes sense if the show successfully adapts the show well
Oh. I see. Well, I thought it would actually be something like that, even though I misread.

Shroob

Sup?
Well we shouldn't want them here then. They should be making the best version of what they already are and as much of it as possible to attract people who like it. Not changing it into something else that other people like because there are more people in that other crowd over there.
Snake, darling, this is a really, like, really selfish mindset to have.

Like it or not, but traditional fighting games have a problem retaining players due to their high barrier of entry in terms of difficulty. It's something that pretty much a ton of big wigs in the scene have said ad nauseum.

Adding modes like this is a good thing. It means the game won't just, ya know, die. You need a healthy balance of casual and competitive features.

Look at Nick All Star Brawl. That **** ****ing died the death because it was TOO competitive with basically nothing to offer casuals, like, at all.

Now look at Granblue Versus 2. Alongside the basic 2D fighting game, they're straight up adding minigames for casual fans like a Fall Guys Knockoff or what looks like Bumper Balls from Mario party.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

Like it or not, but traditional fighting games have a problem retaining players due to their high barrier of entry in terms of difficulty. It's something that pretty much a ton of big wigs in the scene have said ad nauseum.

Adding modes like this is a good thing. It means the game won't just, ya know, die. You need a healthy balance of casual and competitive features.

Look at Nick All Star Brawl. That **** ****ing died the death because it was TOO competitive with basically nothing to offer casuals, like, at all.

Now look at Granblue Versus 2. Alongside the basic 2D fighting game, they're straight up adding minigames for casual fans like a Fall Guys Knockoff or what looks like Bumper Balls from Mario party.
I think Multiversus was an even biggest culprit to this. That game was FREE, but the playerbase dropped 90% because there was nothing but grinding a battle pass that makes Fortnite blush

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Again, why are you trying to gatekeep Street Fighter? It's the most popular fighting game franchise that's not Smash, it's not like it's some obscure ArcSys game from 1994, it's always been a super casual yet competitibe franchise since SF2, what makes it different now? The core gameplay is still intact, this is just a fun side mode you can ignore. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it was a total waste of time.
Because the devs are making this content to attract these people, and this content is taking the place of more meaningful content. Not to mention I would have enjoyed another story mode that was actually about the characters in the lore and their adventures and where you actually play as them the way they had it in V. But even if we will eventually get more characters (though the jury is still out on the cultural diversity) we probably won't get the kind of story mode I would actually enjoy because they did this **** instead. I don't want to see how my avatar rises through the ranks and becomes the secret most important street fighter character in the equivalent of a self insert fanfic. I wanna play as the actual character and stop whoever the new bad guy is.

Like, I wanted a story mode in Nick Brawl. But i didn't want a big 3D open world map where I create my own Nicktoon and learn from the iconic characters and blah blah blah. I wanted to see the actual characters in a big story scenario. And minigames are never the answer. Nobody wants to just play minigames on their own for no reason. Just look at The Top 100. I was able to get into fighting games without all that. Purely because I liked the characters and the story and that's all I needed. If we're trying to attract people who need more than that, than we're attracting the wrong kind of fan.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I am just now discovering that Blue from Blue's Clues isn't currently a puppy in her series...

I thought she was always a puppy but no, this is how she looks as a puppy:

I'm re-evaluating everything I know rn
They still call her a puppy in the show. That's her as a newborn (speaking as someone who has watched too much Blue's Clues).

Top Bottom