• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Excuse me, I'm a popular internet reviewer, couldn't help but notice you said 'kid art ptoject'. Animation isn't just for kids, how dare you insult the artform. Now stay tuned for my review of Owl House where I complain about how Lumity is forced diversity and how the creator needs to be sentenced to prison for shoving this obscenity down my throat
You joke but the quotes are people getting pissy that the silly kids movie for kids is in fact for kids (it has to be deep and philosophical or else it's horrible)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Anyone else read Animorphs as a kid?
Pretty regularly - I didn't have all of the books, but I had a good amount of them. (I think I wound up donating them to my elementary school's library, though) Great series, at least from what I can recall of it. (it's been a while)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Pretty regularly - I didn't have all of the books, but I had a good amount of them. (I think I wound up donating them to my elementary school's library, though) Great series, at least from what I can recall of it. (it's been a while)
It's like a good old kids show but in book form. I'd love to see a note-for-note adaptation the way most animes do it. Where everything that happens in the books translates directly to the screen.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's like a good old kids show but in book form. I'd love to see a note-for-note adaptation the way most animes do it. Where everything that happens in the books translates directly to the screen.
Depending on the audience, a direct translation might not be the best - the Taxxons were pretty gruesome (I know that the book describes their hunger in pretty disturbing terms), and the books take advantage of the fact that morphing heals all injuries to do some pretty gruesome stuff with the animal morphs. (arms getting removed, etc. - especially in the last two books) The last four books or so definitely play up the "war is hell" message of the series. (though most of the ones beforehand could be pretty zany, with Visser Three being about as effective as Cobra Commander at times)

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Sonic Prime Lives
Yeah because they have an entire other half of the season to Drop. Considering they did the same with all their other shows, it’s sadly not safe 100 percent yet.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Depending on the audience, a direct translation might not be the best - the Taxxons were pretty gruesome (I know that the book describes their hunger in pretty disturbing terms), and the books take advantage of the fact that morphing heals all injuries to do some pretty gruesome stuff with the animal morphs. (arms getting removed, etc. - especially in the last two books) The last four books or so definitely play up the "war is hell" message of the series. (though most of the ones beforehand could be pretty zany, with Visser Three being about as effective as Cobra Commander at times)
If done right it can be done extremely well. I don’t know what audience you target beyond Animorphs fans, but you gotta do it well. Show the blood. Show the dismemberment. Show the gripping with your own psyche against an animal brain fighting for control. Show the absolute horror of being a puppet of an alien slug creature and how it affects everything on earth. Scar those kids who just wanted a fun show where kids turn into animals!

osby

Smash Obsessed
If done right it can be done extremely well. I don’t know what audience you target beyond Animorphs fans, but you gotta do it well. Show the blood. Show the dismemberment. Show the gripping with your own psyche against an animal brain fighting for control. Show the absolute horror of being a puppet of an alien slug creature and how it affects everything on earth. Scar those kids who just wanted a fun show where kids turn into animals!
I don't think you can show this kind of series to kids.

Speaking of which, it's interesting how books are far more loosely regulated in terms of age rating compared to TV/cinema, etc.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah because they have an entire other half of the season to Drop. Considering they did the same with all their other shows, it’s sadly not safe 100 percent yet.
tbf the world does have a habit in cutting off shows regardless of whether or not it's finished...or movies...that and Netflix being caught lying about not ending things on cliffhangers hasn't been helpful
I did it

Dispite my money anxiety

I bought Fire emblem.

Small steps
50 or so hours of non-stop engaging
Why is Shadow holding an iPod
I am unable to unsee it
Btw because I'm tired of Velma discourse since day 1 I'm watching other Scooby Doo ****. Tonight I chose to watch The One Where Velma's Gay. Pretty good beyond what twitter told me
Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo is a good movie...unless you meant the Velma show

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't think you can show this kind of series to kids.

Speaking of which, it's interesting how books are far more loosely regulated in terms of age rating compared to TV/cinema, etc.
You should be able to. Just put it on Nickelodeon and let the kids watch! They watch worse stuff not meant for them on their own anyway.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
In cartoon fandoms I swear it's always either insecure adults insisting kids don't actually watch the show or it's insecure adults insisting that being a kids show makes it immune to any and all criticism.

And both of them do it because they think kids are too stupid to enjoy good animation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In cartoon fandoms I swear it's always either insecure adults insisting kids don't actually watch the show or it's insecure adults insisting that being a kids show makes it immune to any and all criticism.

And both of them do it because they think kids are too stupid to enjoy good animation.
IMG_20230118_091412.png

And then there's the ones who take it seriously like "This does not make a lick of sense, if a real person were hit om the head with a hammer that size they'd die yet Elmer Fudd is ok? Plothole much, writers? Also, rabbits do not talk, eat carrots or wield giant hammers, CLEARLY they did not do research"

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

These movies may not be for me but if I gotta be completely honest they are an absolute delight to look at. It's like a giant kids art ptoject come to life
I remember being impressed with the artstyle and design of the first film seeing it's main trailer. I barely knew anything about trolls outside of their appearances in Toy Story, but I was impressed enough that I was actually curious about possibly seeing the film myself at the time.

Of course, the story (or at least a certain character's backstory) ended up being badly written enough to spawn memes, so I never did bother watching it or the sequel, but at least give credit where credit is due. The animation is genuinely top notch.

Now stay tuned for my review of Owl House where I complain about how Lumity is forced diversity and how the creator needs to be sentenced to prison for shoving this obscenity down my throat
Please tell me there aren't any actual Youtube reviews saying anything like this.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

This is honestly a consequence of the whole "Animation for everyone" message that's been pushed a lot lately. It's 100% a true statement but people took it as a "It must cater to me and my tastes or else!" and forget that there's a such thing as a target audience, which in turn causes a pushback that you can't critisize this cause xyz.

Now side A has gotten way too loud lately and that's where the problem lies atm.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I remember being impressed with the artstyle and design of the first film seeing it's main trailer. I barely knew anything about trolls outside of their appearances in Toy Story, but I was impressed enough that I was actually curious about possibly seeing the film myself at the time.

Of course, the story (or at least a certain character's backstory) ended up being badly written enough to spawn memes, so I never did bother watching it or the sequel, but at least give credit where credit is due. The animation is genuinely top notch.

Please tell me there aren't any actual Youtube reviews saying anything like this.
We unironically got "Disney made an Asian-Amerkcan girl as a protagonist in a story that seems like a metaphor for puberty why did they not reference 9/11" so like. You tell me!
This is honestly a consequence of the whole "Animation for everyone" message that's been pushed a lot lately. It's 100% a true statement but people took it as a "It must cater to me and my tastes or else!" and forget that there's a such thing as a target audience, which in turn causes a pushback that you can't critisize this cause xyz.

Now side A has gotten way too loud lately and that's where the problem lies atm.
So called "Animation is for everyone" mfers when I say I've greatly enjoyed CastleVania (It's not a show for children so they didn't watch it)

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
To be frank, I do understand the backlash about Velma. Having seen several clips from the show myself, most of the criticisms are valid.

I guess I just don't personally care that much because I'm tired of hearing about it constantly and...haven't really watched any new Scooby stuff in years, barring the Supernatural crossover. I didn't even watch most of Mystery Inc. My interest in the franchise's new stuff just wasn't there, and it still isn't.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
In a 2008 interview, Camelot Software's Shugo Takahashi talks about the creation of Waluigi and Shigeru Miyamoto rejecting a "Walupeach" pitch.

But we do know a Wapeach indeed exists in the Mario universe (kind of) through Mario + Raddids: Kingdom Battle. Datamining reveals that Lava Queen of the Bwaaah Trio (the other two being Bwario & Bwaluigi) has an internal name of "bwapeach".

1674073037741.png

Pretty neat stuff

Reactions: Z25

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I ended up reading a 5 part mini Twitter comic about the Switch being there for the dying Stadia…idk why I feel bad for the Stadia now

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Beat sparks of hope! Really great experience. A good follow up to the first game and I love what Nintendo let them do with this story. I hope we can see these types of story beats and world building in the other spin-offs like they used to be.

I also love that the final boss has you use everyone

rewards you for understanding the gameplay and makes everything grander.

Overall another really strong entry on the switch. I hope we get to see a third game. Also can’t wait to try the DLC when it drops.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
All this negative reception for HBO's Velma and yet its getting a second season? How does that work? What happened to Spongebob or Loud House ratings being required? Hmmm...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Actually you know what, American Dragon holds up a lot better then I expected it to.

I'm definitely biased though, I don't think I've ever been this high on nostalgia before.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
All this negative reception for HBO's Velma and yet its getting a second season? How does that work? What happened to Spongebob or Loud House ratings being required? Hmmm...
Remember that is also became the highest viewed HBO Max animated show, likely people seeing if the quality was as bad as others have said.

That or a second season was likely planned long before the ratings came in.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Remember that is also became the highest viewed HBO Max animated show, likely people seeing if the quality was as bad as others have said.

That or a second season was likely planned long before the ratings came in.
I still confused? If such negative reception how being the highest viewed HBO Max animated show? You'd think people would be swayed off given said negative reception?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I still confused? If such negative reception how being the highest viewed HBO Max animated show? You'd think people would be swayed off given said negative reception?
Not everyone follows the prerelease of things. They just see them as they release.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Honestly, this Velma series just feels emblematic of everything I hate about modern Hollywood

-Holds contempt for its audience and feels the need to take shots at them
-Adaptation of a nostalgic property that feels like it needs to “fix” upon its formula, combined with completely misunderstanding and/or disrespecting legacy characters
-Abrasive, entitled unlikable female protagonists who’s toxic views are 100% validated by the narrative (possibly self-inserts as well)
-Tearing down male characters to build up the female cast
-Having skewed views on animation (talking dog = kids cartoon despite Family Guy existing)
-Adult cartoons having a false sense of maturity like blood/gore, nudity, drugs, swearing, shock value, etc.
-Inserting all types of modern politics into places where they don’t belong
-Mean-spirited and spiteful writing that feels like the creators are using the project as personal therapy
-Using diversity/minority groups as a means to garner attention and as a meat shield to defend against criticisms
-Over-reliance on meta humor

Doesn’t help that Kaling perpetuates a lot of harmful Indian stereotypes and shows possible signs of transphobia. Honestly this whole project just feels like a waste of effort on everyone’s part.

Top Bottom