• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

When do you expect a Switch Successor announcement?

• Total voters

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
They got Jennifer Hale, a more expensive VA, and had the nerve to say that schedule conflicts were the issue
This is pretty ****ty, also does this hale was paid even less or the same? Surprised she would take that then.
So for those who can't watch, PlatinumGames been lowballing her for a while, this time she went up to Kamiya and then Platinum said $4K take it or leave it. She left, they replaced, they lied. She name drops Platinum stating that's her contacts, which makes me think it's 99% on them
Yeah I don’t get why people think Nintendo is somehow responsible for this. They just publish the game, they probably don’t even have insights to how platinum pays their employees.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
This is pretty ****ty, also does this hale was paid even less or the same? Surprised she would take that then.

Yeah I don’t get why people think Nintendo is somehow responsible for this. They just publish the game, they probably don’t even have insights to how platinum pays their employees.
Nintendo sets the budget and publish the game. That said, how the budget is spent is probably on Platinum, and given what Kamiya just said I'm 100% sure it's on him.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Between the dumb bull**** with Mob Psycho Season 3, arguably The Mario Movie, Jujutsu Kaisen 0 and Bayonetta 3 it should be obvious that Voice Actors are invaluable and should be supported through thick and thin and also that unions are really good.
Don't forget the Book of Boba Fett where they had an AI voice Luke Skywalker

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Platinum is already in financial trouble it Bayo3 flops then well...

Update: Oh **** off
IMG_20210601_195704.jpg

I deadass dunno what to say rn

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

Jondolio

Smash Hero
And now that James Earl retired, guess who's voicing Vader
I love it when Disney resorts to using technology over real actors despite Matt Sloan having been an official voice actor for Darth Vader for years and doing a near perfect impression at that just to save one of their trilions of dollars

Thanks Disney that's so cool

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
And now that James Earl retired, guess who's voicing Vader
I love it when Disney resorts to using technology over real actors despite Matt Sloan having been an official voice actor for Darth Vader for years and doing a near perfect impression at that just to save one of their trilions of dollars

Thanks Disney that's so cool
Could be wrong, but pretty sure James Earl is getting paid for them using his voice as An ai.

James even said that His voice in obi won was ai and that’s pretty crazy. He’s still credited and signed off on Disney doing this, that I know for sure. But pretty sure he’s at least getting paid to.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Could be wrong, but pretty sure James Earl is getting paid for them using his voice as An ai.

James even said that His voice in obi won was ai and that’s pretty crazy. He’s still credited and signed off on Disney doing this, that I know for sure. But pretty sure he’s at least getting paid to.
That's still corporations replacing real actors with literal robots

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Damn shame tbh. Industry wide issue
Oh absolutely. This sort of stuff happens all the time, I just don't hear much about it outside of the voice over community. I'm glad that this sort of stuff is being brought to light, though. It takes some guts to discuss this stuff openly and risk getting on the bad side of an employer.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Oh absolutely. This sort of stuff happens all the time, I just don't hear much about it outside of the voice over community. I'm glad that this sort of stuff is being brought to light, though. It takes some guts to discuss this stuff openly and risk getting on the bad side of an employer.
I think the most insane example was JJK0's cast getting paid $300.

I get paid more than that at my campus job and all I do is sit on my ass until someone needs help.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I think the most insane example was JJK0's cast getting paid $300.

I get paid more than that at my campus job and all I do is sit on my ass until someone needs help.
Half that, even.

Crunchyroll is one of the most infamous perpetrators of this stuff. Most of their dubs are non-union, and they exploit their actors passion in order to pay them ridiculously low rates. And they very well could be trying to snuff out their union dubs, too, seeing what happened with Mob Psycho.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
To put things into perspective a bit:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
And that's for side characters in one game who don't say a whole lot and then two playable characters who also don't say a great deal but there's more to it because of all the efforts you have to make for playable characters in action games (I forget if Deku Tree even said a thing in AoC but it wouldn't have been a lot). The pay is still ass mind but then you consider that Taylor was getting $4k for Bayonetta and let's break that down.

Bayonetta is:
A - extremely talkative and vocal and as a playable character also requires a lot of grunts and other efforts like that (the latter of which applies to Revali and Teba in AoC)
B - the title character
C - There's also a bunch of other Bayonettas that'll have their own inflections and the like, a Fr*nch Bayo should sound different to Egyptian Bayo to Regular Bayo
D - she's had the role for two Bayonetta games, Anarchy Reigns, an appearance in Smash and the animated Bayonetta movie

Taylor should be getting well over 10 times what she was offered.

Would be interested to know what Chiplock made for voicing Noob Saibot in MK11 actually.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
And that's for side characters in one game who don't say a whole lot and then two playable characters who also don't say a great deal but there's more to it because of all the efforts you have to make for playable characters in action games (I forget if Deku Tree even said a thing in AoC but it wouldn't have been a lot). The pay is still ass mind but then you consider that Taylor was getting $4k for Bayonetta and let's break that down.

Bayonetta is:
A - extremely talkative and vocal and as a playable character also requires a lot of grunts and other efforts like that (the latter of which applies to Revali and Teba in AoC)
B - the title character
C - There's also a bunch of other Bayonettas that'll have their own inflections and the like, a Fr*nch Bayo should sound different to Egyptian Bayo to Regular Bayo
D - she's had the role for two Bayonetta games, Anarchy Reigns, an appearance in Smash and the animated Bayonetta movie

Taylor should be getting well over 10 times what she was offered.

Would be interested to know what Chiplock made for voicing Noob Saibot in MK11 actually.
Gonna be real, I had no clue that there were other versions of Bayonetta-

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
On a lighter note, gonna start readonh Chainsaw Man.

I genuinelly know next to nothing for this series, so this better be some gas.

Also also, the Dragon Quest Dai Anime is ending next week. What a journey that show was
Speaking of Dragon Quest Dai, is that anime any good?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
Gonna be real, I had no clue that there were other versions of Bayonetta-
One of the main things about Bayonetta 3 is it's a Multiverse and the trailers have shown us a bunch of different Bayonettas. She's also voiced Bayo's mother in prior games.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Side note, to be completely honest when I graduate with my game dev degree, I really don't wanna go to a big corp and instead would rather work as small scale or mid scale stuff (or just indie). The world pretty much pressures you to go big scale giant corp because they have money, but if you know you can't handle it, then don't. You don't have to, go small if needed

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Side note, to be completely honest when I graduate with my game dev degree, I really don't wanna go to a big corp and instead would rather work as small scale or mid scale stuff (or just indie). The world pretty much pressures you to go big scale giant corp because they have money, but if you know you can't handle it, then don't. You don't have to, go small if needed
Wish I could do the same, but in the line of work I'm aiming for there's not really much of a choice

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
May want to spoil that. Movie isn't even fully out yet.
I would have if The Rock didn’t make it become a selling point for the movie so close to release. First Eternals then Morbius and now Black Adam…it’s starting to become a new way to promote movies (probably to sell more tickets and moneys)
I'm probably gonna finish it eventually when I'm really bored and have nothing else to watch or read

This is very unlikely to happen anytime soon
Understandable…it’s cause you’re gonna be making more room for Kamala Khan content

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Definitely does suck when people don't got much of a choice. In this case, I'd just say do research, and try to join a union (if possible) asap
Self-publishing is very possible but not having beta readers sounds very stressful, especially since I don't exactly trust my own writing abilities all that well

And then there's screenwriting which pretty much speaks for itself

Noipoi

Howdy!
Self-publishing is very possible but not having beta readers sounds very stressful, especially since I don't exactly trust my own writing abilities all that well

And then there's screenwriting which pretty much speaks for itself
Couldn’t you ask a friend or two to read it?

Top Bottom