• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Favorite announcement of this Direct?

• Total voters

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The show really went out with a bang.
Eh debatable. Felt the final battle came off as anti-climatic and very rushed tbh. In fact it should've been a 40-minute long finale.

Plus there was the missed opportunity to give Spear and Fang a final season.

Having it end with a cliffhanger where the Fire Chief drags Spear and Fang into Hell leaving them stranded and season 3 could've been them trying to fight their way through it facing hordes of demons and eventually the giant horned demon god before escaping and reuniting with Mira and Fang's offspring.

So same ending only Spear lives to see his and Mira's daughter.

Aside from the rushed ending. This is what I call a perfect cartoon alongside Hilda.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Today is Batman Day.

And what better way to celebrate it then giving tribute to one of the best superhero films made this decade!

A masterwork of art describes this modern masterpiece. This was literally a Batman comic book in the form of a movie.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Today is Batman Day.

And what better way to celebrate it then giving tribute to one of the best superhero films made this decade!

A masterwork of art describes this modern masterpiece. This was literally a Batman comic book in the form of a movie.
It was pretty good but calling it a masterpiece is kinda overselling it.

The script was pretty weak in a few places, could use two fewer climaxes and that's just me but it takes itself a bit too seriously. I don't need characters to make quips every other minute but some self-awareness would be welcome.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
but it takes itself a bit too seriously.
I mean...

Life isn't fun and quippy like the MCU.

Which is what I appreciated about this film. It's different tone and approach.

And not to say Batman can't be fun, the Tim Burton films showed that or the early days of the character. But most often in the modern comics since the 80s, Batman tends to be more on the serious side which this film strived for.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
If nothing else Batman is easily the best superhero movie of this year. Not that it says much considering it's competing with Thor Love and Thunder and Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. And also Morbius I guess

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I forgot that movies can't be fun escapism from the worries of real life.
The problem is the same tone and formula the MCU follows.

If its movies were more variable. Like the goofiness and campiness of the Guardians films, more "serious" films like The Winter Soldier and such. I probably wouldn't be burnt out by their films at this point.

Give DC credit that their recent movies have been variable in their tones and approaches. The Suicide Squad especially despite its aim to be comedy.

The MCU has made humor very overrated in my eyes. Not all films need to be like it or have humor in this, certain levity yes but not over the top humor we've seen.

Feel free to disagree though, not here to change your opinion. This is just mine.

And not trying to stir things up again so just leave this at that.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I've been thinking about for a while, but it's becoming more apparently obvious that Nintendo fans are quite a shielded bunch. Everything's branching out nowadays, companies and people, but Nintendo fans stick to their nostalgia way too much to recognize that things are changing. That's why people ***** when directs have popular and relatively new JRPG instead of Mario 3D 103710, that's why they're terrified to listen to something that's not a Nintendo OST, that's why older and younger Nintendo fans just can't get along. Nintendo fans, like the company they just never grow up.
I'm late to respond to this but this pretty much sums up what my impression of what the current Nintendo discourse has turned into.

Like, what's weird about it is most of this is from 90s kids, and that era was nearly exclusively Japanese games and RPGs were like, the FPS of that gen. They were everywhere, it wasn't until the PS3 and XBox360 that they started declining. The hostility towards them is so strange, especially when Zelda and Mario have so many anime influences in them because, y'know, the devs are gonna take inspiration from the entertainment they grew up with in their own country. I legit just don't think western Nintendo fans comprehend that Japan is a nation that exists, and they just think NOA is the OG branch and is the head of it all or something.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My problem with modern Marvel movies is that they prioritize quantity over quality. These movies used to feel special but now Disney knows that they can put out 10 projects a year under the Marvel umbrella and people will eat it up, so they do it.

I admittedly haven't seen much of the shows because going to download them off Pir- er, I mean getting a Disney plus subscription is too much of a chore for something that's so mediocre. From what I can tell most of them would've had the same impact if they were condensed into a movie instead of being stretched into 6 40 minutes episodes.

The movies also are not what they used to be. If Black Panther 2 is gonna be anything like the two movies that came out this year then this is the first time I can safely say Marvel hasn't made a single good movie all year.

In the end I'm probably gonna watch a few of the movies like Black Panther, Guardians, Blade, and Captain America, maybe even Ant-Man and The Marvels if they turn out better than I expect them to but again, recent Marvel projects have me doubtful. I'll stick to the old animated series that would have probably continued had Disney not decided to get their filthy hands on Marvel, just like that other really good animated show from the other studio that Disney bought and then decided to reanimate its corpse for profit!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My problem with modern Marvel movies is that they prioritize quantity over quality. These movies used to feel special but now Disney knows that they can put out 10 projects a year under the Marvel umbrella and people will eat it up, so they do it.

I admittedly haven't seen much of the shows because going to download them off Pir- er, I mean getting a Disney plus subscription is too much of a chore for something that's so mediocre. From what I can tell most of them would've had the same impact if they were condensed into a movie instead of being stretched into 6 40 minutes episodes.

The movies also are not what they used to be. If Black Panther 2 is gonna be anything like the two movies that came out this year then this is the first time I can safely say Marvel hasn't made a single good movie all year.

In the end I'm probably gonna watch a few of the movies like Black Panther, Guardians, Blade, and Captain America, maybe even Ant-Man and The Marvels if they turn out better than I expect them to but again, recent Marvel projects have me doubtful. I'll stick to the old animated series that would have probably continued had Disney not decided to get their filthy hands on Marvel, just like that other really good animated show from the other studio that Disney bought and then decided to reanimate its corpse for profit!
There's also the fact how much of an impact they've put on other media.

Notably the MonsterVerse began poorly attempting in copying its humor since Godzilla: King of the Monsters to the point we had a damn joke one of the monsters looking like gonorrhea. Which I find to be a problem because all franchises should strive to be their own thing in terms of tone and humor/levity rather then copying each other.

Kong: Skull Island had the right idea having done its own style of humor and levity and what the MonsterVerse should've continued following.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Today is Batman Day.

I loved the movie but for the worlds greatest detective he really sucked at detecting the majority of the Riddlers master plan

MooMew64

I was on a long car ride with my family today and decided to redownload tour after never touching it after getting Pauline.

Got summer Pauline( although she wasn’t my goal for that pipe) and I got this:
View attachment 360931

Ninja shy guy was my favorite. Hammer bro and bowser Jr are hype though.
I wonder how this game is gonna be when the gatcha is gone. I'm really enjoying it right now, so I hope there aren't any plans to shut it down anytime soon, it's nice to have for breaks at work.

Reactions: Z25

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Shazam!, Joker, The Suicide Squad, The Batman.

Overall though DC's been on a role lately that I'm definitely hyped for Black Adam and Shazam! Fury of the Gods!

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
There's also the fact how much of an impact they've put on other media.

Notably the MonsterVerse began attempting in copying its humor since Godzilla: King of the Monsters to the point we had a damn joke one of the monsters looking like gonorrhea.

Kong: Skull Island had the right idea having done its own style of humor and levity and what the MonsterVerse should've continued following.
That is true, regardless of how you feel about the MCU tself there's no denying that it's had a negative impact on the entertainment industry as a whole, with everyone trying to replicate its style and business model with little success.

There's also the fact that studios rarely ever greenlight original IPs anymore, because why would they when they can use thag budget for the 18474738th franchise reboot? I was born in 2000 so thr fact that Star Wars was such a huge thing when it debuted feels crazy to me.

The bright side is that I'm pretty confident that this **** isn't sustainable and that we'll be a superhero movie collapse this decade due to a lack of audience interest, just like what haplens with every genre

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The bright side is that I'm pretty confident that this **** isn't sustainable and that we'll be a superhero movie collapse this decade due to a lack of audience interest, just like what haplens with every genre
For me the problem is more Marvel then superheroes as a whole because as mentioned DC's been on a role lately IMO as the films I mentioned above.

When I especially watched Invincible. I felt nothing Marvel out of that. It was being its own thing.

That's the problem. Superhero films just gotta stop copying Marvel. It can be done as we've seen with the recent DC films and Invincible.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Eh debatable. Felt the final battle came off as anti-climatic and very rushed tbh. In fact it should've been a 40-minute long finale.

Plus there was the missed opportunity to give Spear and Fang a final season.

Having it end with a cliffhanger where the Fire Chief drags Spear and Fang into Hell leaving them stranded and season 3 could've been them trying to fight their way through it facing hordes of demons and eventually the giant horned demon god before escaping and reuniting with Mira and Fang's offspring.

So same ending only Spear lives to see his and Mira's daughter.

Aside from the rushed ending. This is what I call a perfect cartoon alongside Hilda.
It was a pun, dude.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Bringing back old franchises isn't a bad thing (Though there are some that should just die) but if you're gonna do it. Do it right as was done with Bad Boys, Blade Runner 2049, Top Gun and Nickelodeon shows that got their own movies (Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Invader Zim).

Don't notably turn beloved characters into losers as what happened with Bill & Ted, Luke Skywalker, Dewey in Scream 5, and such.

That's something the four above did right with their characters still treating them with the respect they deserve.

But overall I'd rather they come up with new original stuff as we've seen with John Wick, Nobody, The Tomorrow War, Willy's Wonderland, Malignant and such.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Oh yeah, and I think Nintendo fans hated the farming games just simply because life sim games have a really loud hatebase for some reason lol.
Come on, we know why
That said
I needed Story of Season: A wonderful life yesterday. Why isnt it in my hands

Last edited:

MooMew64

Come on, we know why
That said
I needed Story of Season: A wonderful life yesterday. Why isnt it in my hands
Wonderful Life is like

The BEST Harvest Moon IMO, unironically I popped off for that as much as I did for Pikmin 4 and Kirby: RtDL lol

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not sure if any of you might agree but I think the next God of War game should have you visit three of the lands like Tyr had, especially as a means of doing something different.

In this case the three should be.

Aztec/Mayan
Egyptian
Japanese

And that way too it doesn't take until 2-5+ games to get to the other mythologies because lets be honest it'll probably be 5+ years until we get another God of War game after Ragnarok.

Though I can see why it might not be the case because doing such a thing would probably require a LOT of development but it'd be nice to see as a change.

Last edited:

MooMew64

You should of heard me when I saw the male farmer. I instantly went "YEESSSS"
Was losing my mind when I finally recognized, buried in my memory, this beautiful song playing in the trailer:

IDK if I'm a fan of some of the color palette changes they've made, though. That might just be nostalgia for the OG release talking tho lol. They're a lot more saturated when I kinda like the atmospheric look of the OG's a little better.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
For me the problem is more Marvel then superheroes as a whole because as mentioned DC's been on a role lately IMO as the films I mentioned above.

When I especially watched Invincible. I felt nothing Marvel out of that. It was being its own thing.

That's the problem. Superhero films just gotta stop copying Marvel. It can be done as we've seen with the recent DC films and Invincible.
The thing is, these movies don't exist in a vacuum. Studios keep greenlighting them in hopes it will get them closer to being the next Marvel, and the fact is that this results in an industry oversaturated by superhero films.

And eventually, audiences are going to get sick of these films, and that's gonna translate to poor financial returns on ALL superhero films. It doesn't matter how different they all are, audiences very much go see what they're interested in.

It sucks but I feel like that's the only way we can get rid of the MCU, and I don't like the fact that I'm actively hoping a franchise I once enjoyed starts failing one bit, but that's just how it is.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Me and my brother discussing about how Multiversus can use a few more maps led me to make a list of stages if each character came with one:
  1. Trophy's E.D.G.E. (Multiversus)
  2. Batcave (DC Comics)
  3. Daily Planet (DC Comics)
  4. The Themyscira Island (DC Comics)
  5. Arkham Asylum (DC Comics)
  6. Khandaq (DC Comics)
  7. Scooby's Haunted Mansion (Scooby-Doo)
  8. Crystal Cove Caves (Scooby-Doo)
  9. Tree Fort (Adventure Time)
  10. Ice Kingdom (Adventure Time)
  11. Crystal Temple (Steven Universe)
  12. Sky Arena (Steven Universe)
  13. Cromulons (Rick & Morty)
  14. The Citadel (Rick & Morty)
  15. Bugs' Barrow (Looney Tunes)
  16. Devil's Den (Looney Tunes)
  17. Space Jam Arena (Space Jam)
  18. The Backyard (Tom & Jerry)
  19. Winterfell Castle (Game of Thrones)
  20. McCoppin Scrapyard (The Iron Giant)
  21. Kingston Falls Town Square (Gremlins)
  22. Chinatown (Gremlins)
Any thoughts?
The lack of stages in the game is definitely noticeable. Most of these would work pretty well.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Was losing my mind when I finally recognized, buried in my memory, this beautiful song playing in the trailer:

IDK if I'm a fan of some of the color palette changes they've made, though. That might just be nostalgia for the OG release talking tho lol. They're a lot more saturated when I kinda like the atmospheric look of the OG's a little better.
I dont mind the changes in color, sure it doesnt have the same Atmospher but that kinda the story of seasons artstyle.

All I know is Im going to play as a boy and marry the boy ive always married in all my another wonderful life playthroughs, ****ing lazy ass Rock

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I loved the movie but for the worlds greatest detective he really sucked at detecting the majority of the Riddlers master plan
Honestly it's super cool how Patterson Batman gets ****ing punked multiple times throughout the movie, not just because it's a fresh take on Batman while still keeping him competent but because it's ****ing hilarious, like, I watched Evil Dead for the first time yesterday and I really loved how Ash Williams kept getting thrown into **** instead of being a badass

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Aw yeah, The nostalgia is real rn

I've been waiting for a Story of Seasons Wonderful Life remake for a while now. Surreal it's actually happening.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly it's super cool how Patterson Batman gets *ing punked multiple times throughout the movie, not just because it's a fresh take on Batman while still keeping him competent but because it's ****ing hilarious, like, I watched Evil Dead for the first time yesterday and I really loved how Ash Williams kept getting thrown into * instead of being a badass
That was kind of the point though.

You must understand in this movie and universe. This Batman is only two years in his life of crime fighting. He's not the experienced fighter and detective we all know him to be yet.

Now if this persisted in the next film then you guys would have a point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom