• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

Shroob

Sup?
Alright, you've done it. You've activated my character design card.

All the Scarlet Paradox forms are intentionally meant to give the Pokémon dinosaurian traits, mainly long tails and spikey jagged bits on their bodies.

Obvious examples include Great Tusk and Slither Wing:

They both take their respective inspirations (Donphan and Volcarona) and change up the body types to give them spikes and spines, sharp teeth, and more reptilian tails. Slither Wing's eponymous wings are even meant to mimic a typical dinosaur sailfin, like a Dimetrodon or a Spinosaurus.

Sometimes they have to get more creative though.

Scream Tail's long ponytail with its frayed hairs are once again supposed to mimic a spiny lizard tail. Sandy Shock's whole body is constructed like a rudimentary dinosaur-shaped thing made out of trash, it's especially obvious if you look at it from the side. It's tail is the long metal coil sticking out the back, and all those sharp magnet filings make up the spines.

Walking Wake is perhaps the most obvious example. They literally turned Suicune into a velociraptor.
Not just any Velociraptor.

Jesus Raptor.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Alright, you've done it. You've activated my character design card.

All the Scarlet Paradox forms are intentionally meant to give the Pokémon dinosaurian traits, mainly long tails and spikey jagged bits on their bodies.

Obvious examples include Great Tusk and Slither Wing:

They both take their respective inspirations (Donphan and Volcarona) and change up the body types to give them spikes and spines, sharp teeth, and more reptilian tails. Slither Wing's eponymous wings are even meant to mimic a typical dinosaur sailfin, like a Dimetrodon or a Spinosaurus.

Sometimes they have to get more creative though.

Scream Tail's long ponytail with its frayed hairs are once again supposed to mimic a spiny lizard tail. Sandy Shock's whole body is constructed like a rudimentary dinosaur-shaped thing made out of trash, it's especially obvious if you look at it from the side. It's tail is the long metal coil sticking out the back, and all those sharp magnet filings make up the spines.

Walking Wake is perhaps the most obvious example. They literally turned Suicune into a velociraptor.
Ok. Maybe they did creativity well or something. I consider myself a dinosaur/prehistoric animal nut and the designs don’t really resonate with me but I guess they have a measurable quantity of expressed creativity. Would I have preferred they actually designed animals that were supposed to be these creatures ancestors based on the real world fossil record instead? Yes, I think that would be cooler than just making random dino hybrids. Would I have not done a past version of Magnemite at all? Yes? Does the existence of Sandy Shocks bug me? Yes.

I want more Pokémon based on actual dinosaurs and actual prehistoric life. Instead of just trying to evoke their design tropes I guess. And I think catching alien Pokémon on alien planets would be cool.

Bottom line, Pokémon Legends: Fossil Pokémon and Pokémon Legends: Ultra Beasts are cool ideas I want to see explored. I don’t care how much you like scarlet and Violet.

Shroob

Sup?
Ok. Maybe they did creativity well or something. I consider myself a dinosaur/prehistoric animal nut and the designs don’t really resonate with me but I guess they have a measurable quantity of expressed creativity. Would I have preferred they actually designed animals that were supposed to be these creatures ancestors based on the real world fossil record instead? Yes, I think that would be cooler than just making random dino hybrids. Would I have not done a past version of Magnemite at all? Yes? Does the existence of Sandy Shocks bug me? Yes.

I want more Pokémon based on actual dinosaurs and actual prehistoric life. Instead of just trying to evoke their design tropes I guess. And I think catching alien Pokémon on alien planets would be cool.

Bottom line, Pokémon Legends: Fossil Pokémon and Pokémon Legends: Ultra Beasts are cool ideas I want to see explored. I don’t care how much you like scarlet and Violet.
Well, that's the thing.

They're paradoxes.

There's a good chance they're not even real. :nifty:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Well these Pokémon aren’t literally ancestors of their modern countrrparts, you see. That’s part of the reason why there’s a prehistoric Magnemite, even though that doesn’t make any sense. That’s why they just look like normal Pokémon twisted around to resemble generic dinosaurs.

They’re paradoxes. Created from the dreams and imaginations of humans, most likely thanks to a big ass crystal turtle.

Shroob

Sup?
Past Paradox Pokemon are based on cryptids and fringe scientific theories. They're like the "What if the loch ness monster was really a surviving pleseosaur to this day."

Futures are literally from in-universe science fiction stories.

SnakeFighter64

Pranked!
Well these Pokémon aren’t literally ancestors of their modern countrrparts, you see. That’s part of the reason why there’s a prehistoric Magnemite, even though that doesn’t make any sense. That’s why they just look like normal Pokémon twisted around to resemble generic dinosaurs.

They’re paradoxes. Created from the dreams and imaginations of humans, most likely thanks to a big ass crystal turtle.
And that idea is weird and doesn’t gel with me a much as other potential ones. Sorry.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I liked Buzzwole and Ye Olde Donphan. So I just leave it at that. The Firework Clown was neat too.

Glad we're getting regular evolutions again, but I'll miss Megas, Pokemon going Super Saiyan are what I'd like to see I guess. Though some Pokemon with Megas could use a regular evolution. Namely Houndoom, Manectric, Camerupt, Sharpedo, Sableye and/or Audino. They WON'T do it, BUT if they retconned those particular megas into new evos, or at least have them as legit options to weigh on, that'd be nice.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I liked Buzzwole and Ye Olde Donphan. So I just leave it at that. The Firework Clown was neat too.

Glad we're getting regular evolutions again, but I'll miss Megas, Pokemon going Super Saiyan are what I'd like to see I guess. Though some Pokemon with Megas could use a regular evolution. Namely Houndoom, Manectric, Camerupt, Sharpedo, Sableye and/or Audino. They WON'T do it, BUT if they retconned those particular megas into new evos, or at least have them as legit options to weigh on, that'd be nice.
The good news is, with the unstoppable passage of time, we're inching ever closer to the inevitable Kalos remakes!

So new megas should be coming some time in the next decade :4pacman:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
damn…back in the prank gang…thought I’d never be forced back
IMG_8092.jpeg

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Slither Wing's eponymous wings are even meant to mimic a typical dinosaur sailfin, like a Dimetrodon or a Spinosaurus.
Boy you did not just call Dimetrodon a dinosaur.

That said wow, Slither Wing actually looks a lot like dimetrodon, I can't unsee it now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The good news is, with the unstoppable passage of time, we're inching ever closer to the inevitable Kalos remakes!

So new megas should be coming some time in the next decade :4pacman:
Maybe. It'll be nice if more weaker mons got it, they mostly went for popularity. But c'mon Flygon should've got one. Though in general, most of the starters should get them. Infernape should just turn into something like Beast Gohan or SS4 Goku and I mean that from the bottom of soul.

Granted Annihilape is ALSO Beast Gohan, but that's why he's peak. Still need the Orange Piccolo Pokemon, so Mega Slugma could do that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I found Megas really cool when they were first revelaed but looking back, a lot of them feel a bit overdesigned without much interesting concepts, though there were great ones like Audino and Banette.

Design-wise, I kinda liked Gigantamax forms more but they were weird about which gens got to get them.

Shroob

Sup?
I am glad the DLC is including that bio-dome like area. It seems like it's a way to get Pokemon that would be native to one specific region outside of said region, like Alolan Exeggutor.

Regional variants are cool, but as time goes on, they get harder and harder to get unless you include new ways to get them, and having an area which would mimic their natural habitats seems like a good fit.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I found Megas really cool when they were first revelaed but looking back, a lot of them feel a bit overdesigned without much interesting concepts, though there were great ones like Audino and Banette.

Design-wise, I kinda liked Gigantamax forms more but they were weird about which gens got to get them.
Seconding this, I feel if Gigantamax forms weren't attached to a controversial mechanic they'd be more well liked as design-wise I felt they were more consistent. Megas IMO were more hit or miss, with some doing a good job evolving the original Pokemon's concept like Banette, but a fair chunk feeling like they were trying a little too hard to be cool and just threw in some extra details on with little thought to it like Aerodactyl or X.

Yes I know Dimetrodon isn't a dinosaur but it's a prehistoric reptile that regularly gets grouped in with the dinos and I was trying to make a point DAMNIT
eye twitch

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Lol i got the jokes on you trophy for this.

Even though I’ve been pranked before.

On a side note, I got that shiny gimmighoul.

Through technically legit methods. I won’t let I joined raids being auto repeated by bots.

I was gonna hunt it, and then I saw only the 5 star isn’t shiny locked. Which is one of the most idiotic decisions Gamefreak has ever made.

-Bad shiny

-Unlock it for a week

-only shiny potentially if 5 star.

-Limit 5 stars raids you can get a day on your actual game.

-Online makes it statistically less likely to get one because most people won’t have shiny charm( if it even affects raids) and the odds will be lower.

Really smart move Gamefreaks part.

Top Bottom