• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Maybe we can figure out how "unlike anything" it is by looking back at previous Mario portrayals. Portrayals by English speakers include:
  • Charles Martinet
  • Lou Albano (The Super Mario Bros. Super Show)
  • Walker Boone (SMB3 & SMW cartoons)
  • Bob Hoskins (Live-action movie)
  • Marc Graue (Hotel Mario)

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Bro, wr havent even hear the voice yet, why is everyone dooming?
I am not. I was just saying my thoughts on finding voice actors like Charles.

Maybe we can figure out how "unlike anything" it is by looking back at previous Mario portrayals. Portrayals by English speakers include:
  • Charles Martinet
  • Lou Albano (The Super Mario Bros. Super Show)
  • Walker Boone (SMB3 & SMW cartoons)
  • Bob Hoskins (Live-action movie)
  • Marc Graue (Hotel Mario)
Well, they may not take into account a few of those. Still, I would like to see Chris do a Hotel Mario reference.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yeah I kinda find it hard to believe that he was chosen on voice alone and not on his status as one of the most bankable celebrities currently.

Hey Guh, assuming they still when with a celeb voice for this movie, who do you think would’ve been a better pick for Mario on voice alone? Legitimately.
This may be a bit of a weird one, but if he was still alive? Robin Williams. I think he'd be able to pull off not only an interesting voice for the character, but more importantly, a fun performance. I know Mario isn't exactly a "quick, snappy humor sorta role" like a character like the Genie from Aladdin is, but Robin Williams is an actor. He can do far more than his typecast, haha. Plus, he has experience in the field of VO, and experience with very animated performances in general.

Bro, we havent even hear the voice yet, why is everyone dooming?
Prioritizing a celebrity voice over the best performance possible is always a bit of a red flag, haha. And when you have a character as iconic as Mario? ...Yeah. Chris' performance just ain't gonna be the same. Granted, it could be quite good in its own right, but it doesn't change the fact he was hired due to his name, not his performance.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This may be a bit of a weird one, but if he was still alive? Robin Williams. I think he'd be able to pull off not only an interesting voice for the character, but more importantly, a fun performance. I know Mario isn't exactly a "quick, snappy humor sorta role" like a character like the Genie from Aladdin is, but Robin Williams is an actor. He can do far more than his typecast, haha. Plus, he has experience in the field of VO, and experience with very animated performances in general.

Prioritizing a celebrity voice over the best performance possible is always a bit of a red flag, haha. And when you have a character as iconic as Mario? ...Yeah. Chris' performance just ain't gonna be the same. Granted, it could be quite good in its own right, but it doesn't change the fact he was hired due to his name, not his performance.
Oh, honestly, if he were still alive, I would have loved to see Robin Williams voice Mario in some way.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So was Idris Alba for Knuckles and we see how that turned out. All I'm saying is just wait because for all we know the voice might just sound good. If it doesn't it doesn't and if it does it does

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I can't listen to one second of Mario talking in hotel Mario without laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes I don't know why
I think the funniest part about Hotel Mario's VO is that the person who voiced Mario, Luigi, and Bowser in that game is a professional voice actor. He's still in the field to this day. He can be heard in stuff like Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Spyro Reignited Trilogy, SMITE, Fallout: New Vegas, Avatar: The Last Airbender, etc.

...But the script (and likely the directing too) is so bad that it sounds...! Very awful!

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So was Idris Alba for Knuckles and we see how that turned out. All I'm saying is just wait because for all we know the voice might just sound good. If it doesn't it doesn't and if it does it does
I don't think (most) people are thinking the performance is gonna be bad. Heck, it'll probably be great, Chris Pratt is a good actor. Just kinda sucks knowing that we could have probably gotten something better if they didn't hop right to celebrity casting, haha.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
But honestly, I think Chris Pratt is gonna be fine no matter what. If he's good then he's good, if he's bad then it's gonna be ****ing hilarious. Win-Win
You're either regular game Mario voice quality or Hotel Mario voice quality, and Chris will be one of those two.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I will say, I am certainly looking forward to Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek. Kamek has never had a voice before, so there's room for new ideas. And Kevin Michael Richardson primarily does VO work, so he knows how to work with animated roles like this.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
IDK man, I think just assuming he's gonna be mid without actually hearing it yet or assuming he's not giving it his all is making a lot of assumptions.

Even if they just hired him for his name, doesn't mean he isn't gonna try his best. I say wait to hear it, then make judgement. :drshrug:
And given how Chris says how he is going to voice Mario in that tweet, there may be a bit or a lot of voice direction here. I don't think they'd just hire him and not give him voice direction before calling it a day anyway.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't know about you, but I am wondering how Charlie Day will voice Luigi.

Maybe he will come forward about the cast and say "Everyone, half these voice actors have been made up. This movie production is a goddamn ghost town!".

Noipoi

Howdy!
I will say, I am certainly looking forward to Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek. Kamek has never had a voice before, so there's room for new ideas. And Kevin Michael Richardson primarily does VO work, so he knows how to work with animated roles like this.
I always kinda heard him as Tom Kenny, specifically doing Commander Peepers.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I always kinda heard him as Tom Kenny, specifically doing Commander Peepers.
Oh dang, that could really be good, haha.

...But could Tom Kenny do this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom